• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I was thinking of one idea for the trailer. Imagine the main KH cast in Yen Sid tower: Sora, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, Donald, Dingo, Yen Sid. Yen Sid explains to Sora he has a world to visit, but he must go alone. Then Mickey explains Sora will meet the most renown person of all worlds, most renown than the King himself.

That last idea would reference the fact that Mario is, nowadays, the most renown fictional character, who dethroned Mickey a few years ago. That kind of reference to real events happened with Banjo and can perfectly happen with Crash (about ads where he's rude toward Mario). Mickey in the trailer would already be mind-blowing but that would be even greater if he was referring to Mario as the most popular character.

I see you miles away. I'm not advocating for Mickey presence in Smash, only in the trailer.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was thinking of one idea for the trailer. Imagine the main KH cast in Yen Sid tower: Sora, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, Donald, Dingo, Yen Sid. Yen Sid explains to Sora he has a world to visit, but he must go alone. Then Mickey explains Sora will meet the most renown person of all worlds, most renown than the King himself.

That last idea would reference the fact that Mario is, nowadays, the most renown fictional character, who dethroned Mickey a few years ago. That kind of reference to real events happened with Banjo and can perfectly happen with Crash (about ads where he's rude toward Mario). Mickey in the trailer would already be mind-blowing but that would be even greater if he was referring to Mario as the most popular character.

I see you miles away. I'm not advocating for Mickey presence in Smash, only in the trailer.
i dunno i dont think theyd want to pay an expensive licence for mickey to only use him in a trailer

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I noticed a ton of people from the Geno thread wandered in there, and as a result, Sora's rating has been plummeting with lots of 0 ratings, as they tend to see him as "competition". As a result many of those Geno fans tend to automatically use the Disney excuse to try to discount Sora as "impossible" and "too difficult to negotiate for".

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It's not that big a deal. Rate the chances is nothing to take seriously as a predictor for characters or the communities actual view on a character. So no reason to care.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yeah Disney would be an issue but I don't think Disney cares enough about Kingdom hearts as an IP to be strict over it's inclusion in smash.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I noticed a ton of people from the Geno thread wandered in there, and as a result, Sora's rating has been plummeting with lots of 0 ratings, as they tend to see him as "competition". As a result many of those Geno fans tend to automatically use the Disney excuse to try to discount Sora as "impossible" and "too difficult to negotiate for".
It's funny to discount Kingdom Hearts because of Disney meanwhile they are rating Geno high when he's the character I see having the most trouble with his own licensing (I don't see Square-Enix share Geno when they have 2B or Lara Croft that can be used as promotion pick as well). Exactly what TriggerX says in his response in the rating thread.

Fascinating video.
Is there spoils from Re:Mind? I didn't play it yet.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yep, licensing issues.
they really shouldnt presume how disney we handle the licencing we have no way of knowing, cant be that much of an issue if they were able to make disney art academy

sigh, typical

TriggerX

Smash Ace
On the topic of Re:Mind,

If anyones curious about my personal spoiler free experience with the DLC then:

I cant say its worth 30$ at all.
I would say if you haven't played the main story of KH3 yet, and you're doing your first play through, it definitely makes for a more fulfilling experience. Almost worth the buy considering you can pick up KH3 for like 15-20$ now.

However, the main issue with the dlc is that it doesn't add enough content to really justify spending half the price of what the game initially was. Its not half the amount of content nor is it even 25%.
This DLC really should have been like 15$

GhostRoy

Smash Apprentice
Grand Rapids, MI United States of America
NNID
RoyUchiha
On the topic of Re:Mind,

If anyones curious about my personal spoiler free experience with the DLC then:

I cant say its worth 30$ at all.
I would say if you haven't played the main story of KH3 yet, and you're doing your first play through, it definitely makes for a more fulfilling experience. Almost worth the buy considering you can pick up KH3 for like 15-20$ now.

However, the main issue with the dlc is that it doesn't add enough content to really justify spending half the price of what the game initially was. Its not half the amount of content nor is it even 25%.
This DLC really should have been like 15$
Square Enix for ya

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It's not something I'm gonna get any use out of, I suck too much to beat the new tough boss fights. So I just watched the cutscenes online.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So lately, people are trying to frame a conversation that happens at 28:10 as a deconfirm for Sora

The smoking gun here is that the guy saying it is Imran Khan, an apparent insider and was formly Editor-In-Chief at Game Informer.

Even Sabi's alt was talking about this

My thoughts: If this is what counts as a deconfirm then our standards have dropped hard.

Actually watch the video; this isn't a bunch of insiders swapping secrets, it's a bunch of guys sitting around the table throwing veritable darts at the wall. Here's the conversation

"I think the conversations happened for Sora, happened for Chief"
"Oh they absolutely approached Disney about it once"
"Will this go down? I don't know"
"Do you think Disney is keeping Sora from being in Smash?"
"Yeah, Disney Japan specifically"

This is no different from literally any other person harping on "Disney is too protective" without any real basis. Conversations happen like this all over this board all the time! The dude is just speculating like the rest of us

Shinji Hashimoto saying "No Sora" to that random French guy last year is more of a solid deconfirm for Sora than this is!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If nothing else I feel a strong sense of validation with the knowledge that he was considered.

D

Deleted member

I’m glad they asked.

I still support and want him in.

That has not changed.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I’m glad they tried at least my support for Sora hasn’t stopped.

Still I guess Disney Japan didn’t want it.

Thank you though Nintendo he would have been amazing.
I don't think it's really a full disconfirmation for Sora. I think he is still on the table, but Disney Japan is most definitely his biggest obstacle in the past. But I don't think he is out of the question completely.

D

Deleted member

That so? Okay good to know. Whew glad there’s still hope.

We’ll see what happens.

Like I said I’m still supporting him.

Last edited by a moderator:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
If nothing else I feel a strong sense of validation with the knowledge that he was considered.
Completely agreed.
Although I wouldn’t be surprised if all this is 100% true. Sora matches the Nintendo aesthetic 1:1,and the content in Kingdom hearts would probably be better suited for Nintendo Consoles and their audience to be honest.

As far as Sora’s chances go right now, it could still happen. As I’ve mentioned , it seems like the snippet indicates that talks happened in the past. But there’s no telling if it was even for Ultimate.
If it were for ultimate, it’s still possible to be part of this fighter pack if talks were an ongoing event and eventually an agreement would be made. Only time will tell for that.

Overall if he doesn’t show up in this game, chances are the ball would be in Disney’s court to approach Nintendo. I have doubts Nintendo would make another attempt if they extended the olive branch initially.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Completely agreed.
Although I wouldn’t be surprised if all this is 100% true. Sora matches the Nintendo aesthetic 1:1,and the content in Kingdom hearts would probably be better suited for Nintendo Consoles and their audience to be honest.

As far as Sora’s chances go right now, it could still happen. As I’ve mentioned , it seems like the snippet indicates that talks happened in the past. But there’s no telling if it was even for Ultimate.
If it were for ultimate, it’s still possible to be part of this fighter pack if talks were an ongoing event and eventually an agreement would be made. Only time will tell for that.

Overall if he doesn’t show up in this game, chances are the ball would be in Disney’s court to approach Nintendo. I have doubts Nintendo would make another attempt if they extended the olive branch initially.
I find it weird that Square hasn't bothered porting these games to switch. It's not like the thing can't run them. The HD collections would be good enough in my eyes.

Being able to play KH2 on the go would put a big smile on this face.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Disney and Nintendo have been on talking terms for decades in Japan since they did create a Disney branded variant of Hanafuda.
The idea of them talking about the possibility of Sora as a character in an exchange is very possible.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I'm not sure what to make of Imran "Comments Disabled" Khan's statements. It's impossible to tell if he's just speculating or framing insider info as speculation. If we hear some similar info from different sources then I'll be more willingly to believe it, but even then, when this conversation happened is really important. If it occurred back for base Ultimate/Fighter's Pass 1 then of course Disney of Japan got in the way. We know from HMK that Disney wouldn't have been open to discussions for licensing during KH3's development, but if these talks happened around the E3 2019 time frame then we're out of the running.

At the moment I'm finding it hard to keep my hopes up. We recently got a large amount of information regarding upcoming KH projects, and some of those could easily be grounds for denying licensing requests.

Top Bottom