• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Indeed, I concede this is purely circumstantial evidence. But its something to think about at least

Or maybe we'll finally get a damn KH anime
I'm on board as long as it has some great fights and good animation to go with it.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Something that was brought to my attention regarding Sora

Nomura said back in September he was working on a big mystery project that is related to Kingdom Hearts.

Or rather, a mystery *request*

View attachment 249549

Wouldn't it be like Sakurai to ask for Nomura's guidance in overseeing Sora's development?

Now of course, that could mean ANYTHING, it doesn't automatically mean Smash. But the language used here intrigues me

It was a request for something Kingdom Hearts related, something he clearly isn't directly overseeing, something that's actually pulling him away from KHUX, and clearly it's something on the shorter side of development if he can go do this and then hop back into developing UX

So what could it be?

In a hypothetical Smash scenario, I'm sure developers of guest fighters are more than willing to let Sakurai do his thing, but given how he and Nomura are good friends, I can imagine Sakurai would ask Nomura to come oversee Sora's implementation into Smash

Again, this mystery thing could be anything... but it could also mean this thing
He would definitely not describe any of his projects as a "mystery request". That's his stuff, and a request is something he was asked by someone else… I think it could very well be possible, imo. I see more sense in it than thinking he would describe a project of his own as a "mysterious request", because it makes no sense, lol.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
He would definitely not describe any of his projects as a "mystery request". That's his stuff, and a request is something he was asked by someone else… I think it could very well be possible, imo. I see more sense in it than thinking he would describe a project of his own as a "mysterious request", because it makes no sense, lol.
Yeah, the word request is the interesting part here.

I recently rewatched the Terry presentation and Sakurai mentioned how he speaks to other companies about their characters being in Smash; it gave me the impression that developers for the most part leave him to work his magic and take a hands-off approach with only a few check-ins here and there. Nomura and he are close friends however, and like I said above I think Sakurai would go the extra mile to ask Nomura to come be a part of the team and oversee his implementation. KH is Nomura's passion project after all, and Sakurai is a guy who cares deeply about getting everything as perfect as he can

Here is my hypothetical chain of memories events if we're to assume this is Smash:

Post E3 and post Banjo/Hero reveal, the word comes down that more DLC is going to happen. Sakurai and Nintendo negotiate for Sora and get him around late August, Sakurai asks Nomura to come aboard and help develop Sora for Smash, Nomura puts out his cryptic "mystery request" teaser (September 2nd), a few days later the word of more DLC for Smash goes public (September 4th), Character development takes... let's say four months, three if we're being generous; and it's too late for Fighter 5, but can slip right in with Post-Pass DLC for a 2020 reveal and Nomura is back working on UX.

Let's be real, Sora would be a 'blow the roof off' reveal at E3 2020; easily matching the hype for Banjo

This is making a LOT of assumptions, but that's what speculation is for, right?

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Yeah, the word request is the interesting part here.

I recently rewatched the Terry presentation and Sakurai mentioned how he speaks to other companies about their characters being in Smash; it gave me the impression that developers for the most part leave him to work his magic and take a hands-off approach with only a few check-ins here and there. Nomura and he are close friends however, and like I said above I think Sakurai would go the extra mile to ask Nomura to come be a part of the team and oversee his implementation. KH is Nomura's passion project after all, and Sakurai is a guy who cares deeply about getting everything as perfect as he can

Here is my hypothetical chain of memories events if we're to assume this is Smash:

Post E3 and post Banjo/Hero reveal, the word comes down that more DLC is going to happen. Sakurai and Nintendo negotiate for Sora and get him around late August, Sakurai asks Nomura to come aboard and help develop Sora for Smash, Nomura puts out his cryptic "mystery request" teaser (September 2nd), a few days later the word of more DLC for Smash goes public (September 4th), Character development takes... let's say four months, three if we're being generous; and it's too late for Fighter 5, but can slip right in with Post-Pass DLC for a 2020 reveal and Nomura is back working on UX.

Let's be real, Sora would be a 'blow the roof off' reveal at E3 2020; easily matching the hype for Banjo

This is making a LOT of assumptions, but that's what speculation is for, right?
Assuming that Nomura WAS talking about Sora joining Smash bros. the request could've easily have come from Disney. You know, to make sure that his character was portrayed correctly. It could also be for the cinematic cutscene for Sora's inclusion if we're thinking that Sora being fighter 5 is still possible.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I have come to what I believe is a solid theory / prediction.
FP5 of the first DLC pass is gonna be a highly speculated character. The deconfirmations have ceased on both sabi and vergeben's ends due to the fear of their sources giving away who fighter 5 is. Sabi told me a while ago ( I think during the time we only had ryu and crash deconfirmed) that his not-Noa source told him to "stop guessing lol". Most likely due to the fear of narrowing down eventually who it IS. Verge and Sabi recently stopped getting/giving deconfirmations all of sudden…

You can't narrow down a non-speculated character since that's an endless list of games to deconfirm (all of gaming history basically, lol), and it makes no sense to believe that deconfirming the highly speculated characters would lead you to a non speculated one, it would take forever. It has to be a highly speculated name therefore, imo at least. So far, Capcom hasn't been deconfirmed fully (unlike Bamco) despite my many attempts of trying to get Verge to answer me, but he has always ignored my comments, so who knows lol. And Sora… also hasn't been deconfirmed either by anyone, and he has always been a highly speculated name alongside Banjo and others since the ballot… Those 2 are gonna be my final predictions at this point.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
You know I kinda want to see fanart or something of the game world's featured in smash bros being drawn to look like the world icons in the world map in the Kingdom hearts games.

You know like showing highlights of said world in a small bubble like shape. Just something silly like that.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I have come to what I believe is a solid theory / prediction.
FP5 of the first DLC pass is gonna be a highly speculated character. The deconfirmations have ceased on both sabi and vergeben's ends due to the fear of their sources giving away who fighter 5 is. Sabi told me a while ago ( I think during the time we only had ryu and crash deconfirmed) that his not-Noa source told him to "stop guessing lol". Most likely due to the fear of narrowing down eventually who it IS. Verge and Sabi recently stopped getting/giving deconfirmations all of sudden…

You can't narrow down a non-speculated character since that's an endless list of games to deconfirm (all of gaming history basically, lol), and it makes no sense to believe that deconfirming the highly speculated characters would lead you to a non speculated one, it would take forever. It has to be a highly speculated name therefore, imo at least. So far, Capcom hasn't been deconfirmed fully (unlike Bamco) despite my many attempts of trying to get Verge to answer me, but he has always ignored my comments, so who knows lol. And Sora… also hasn't been deconfirmed either by anyone, and he has always been a highly speculated name alongside Banjo and others since the ballot… Those 2 are gonna be my final predictions at this point.
MarioThinkSmall.png

You might be on to something here

Let's run down a list of the most widely speculated characters as of now:
Ryu Hayabusa
Crash Bandicoot
Reimu
Dante
Lloyd Irving
Heihachi
Sora
Geno
Doomslayer
Monster Hunter
Resident Evil Reps
Another Capcom Rep

Of that list, the *vast* majority of them have all been nuked by insiders, now we're left with
Reimu
Sora
Monster Hunter
A misc Capcom rep

I'm very confident in that Reimu is *not* it

Darkstalkers could be a good Capcom series to rep, but the face of the series is Morrigan and she runs into the same problem Mai does. Phoenix Wright only seems to have gotten serious traction as of right this moment, and I just have a gut feeling he'll be Mii Costume'd. Monster Hunter seems like a truly solid contender BUT Rathalos being there might just be all the MH representation we're getting.
There's also Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe, but... they don't scream "Game Awards Worthy" to me...

I can't believe we live in a time where Sora might have a legitimate chance.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You know I kinda want to see fanart or something of the game world's featured in smash bros being drawn to look like the world icons in the world map in the Kingdom hearts games.

You know like showing highlights of said world in a small bubble like shape. Just something silly like that.
its out there ive seen some, just out "kingdom hearts worlds" in an image search and itll probably come up

ive drawn a few fan worlds myself but only for disney stuff not nintendo stuff

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I'm probably setting myself up for failure once the Game Awards rolls around but

Yeah, see--that's the thing with Smash speculation. When we expect a certain character different from other characters people expect, and an event where they might be revealed at comes along, we either get our character and be satisfied, or set ourselves up for inevitable disappointment.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Pretty torn on whether or not we'll get the next Remind trailer at the VGAs or Jump Festa. I'm leaning a little more towards Jump Festa since that's where the trailer announced for December of last year was.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Pretty torn on whether or not we'll get the next Remind trailer at the VGAs or Jump Festa. I'm leaning a little more towards Jump Festa since that's where the trailer announced for December of last year was.
Square has already announced it JF lineup and KH wasn't listed so now everyone expects some remind news at the VGAs

D

Deleted member

Been playing KH2 on The Story So Far today.

The game does personally still hold up quite well for me.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So apparently, KH3 ReMind is actually skipping Jump Festa this year! That's usually where we always see new information on Kingdom Hearts games outside of E3, which means ReMind is totally going to be at the Game Awards

Smash or not, KH is going to be at the VGA's and that's really cool, especially with KH3 being up for best RPG and best musical score

Though it IS strange they're skipping out on Jump Festa... almost as if there was something bigger on the horizon...

Yes I know I'm setting myself up for failure, let me dream dammit

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
As Sora supporters, people LOVE to scream "DISNEY! YOU LOSE!" back at us to shut him down. HMK already did a great video about why Sora isn't as unlikely as one would think, but here I've compiled a big list

Reasons why Disney isn't that big a problem
--They've loaned out Marvel to Fortnite twice, and as of recently, now Star Wars too
--They loaned out Wreck-it Ralph the character to appear in Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing
--Bowser himself was in WIR, only reason Mario wasn't was because the writers felt he was too big of a star to demote to just a cameo and they couldn't think of anything for him to do without distracting from the story
--Disney and Nintendo teamed up to release a Mickey Mouse branded Nintendo Switch for Japan, joycons and all
--Kingdom Hearts 'in-between games' have always been on Nintendo handhelds with the exception of BBS and the mobile game
--The special edition 3DS and GBA SP systems made in honor of Kingdom Hearts
--Smash Brawl namedropped Mickey Mouse in the Chronicles section regarding Game & Watch games. A small thing to be sure, but of all the licensed games to reference they picked the Disney ones
--Nomura and Sakurai are buddies, Disney always goes to Nomura first when it comes to Sora and there's little doubt he'd say no to it if presented the oppertunity
--They outright admitted that they know people want Sora to join Smash, it's a matter of Nintendo going to them first

Reasons Disney might be a problem
--Nintendo might not want to go through the trouble/haven't considered him
--Disney might not want the 'core' Disney characters like Donald and Goofy in a fighting game
--Mickey symbol on the Keyblade

The pros VASTLY outweigh the cons here
I'm late seeing this post but about the last 2 cons I honestly think they aren't really gonna be a problem considering Sora has been in 2 FF spin offs without any of the disney part representation, and it worked out really nicely! So it really goes down to the possibliity of con #1 if anything.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Putting it in a spoiler for size, but here's my Sora in Smash mockup

1575514744983.png

Classic Mode: "Don't Lose Heart"

Giant Black Incineroar: Darkside
Shadow Kirby Hoard: Heartless
Cloud: Olympus Coliseum
Dark Link: Heartless Riku
Bayonetta and K. Rool: Maleficent and Pete
Rathalos: Dragon Maleficent
Giant Black Incineroar and Ganondorf: The end bosses of KH1, Darkside and Ansem

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
So I’ve just been hearing news that Capcom got deconfirmed? If that’s true, then it makes Sora all the more likely, assuming Square isn’t next on the chopping block.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
So I’ve just been hearing news that Capcom got deconfirmed? If that’s true, then it makes Sora all the more likely, assuming Square isn’t next on the chopping block.
Capcom is pretty much out of the running. There may be a small chance the info is wrong, but we've got two people here corroborating it so that seems unlikely.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
this might sound selfish but i hope Capcom is actually deconfirmed so that Sora has a even bigger chance to be the next fighter >.<
last year all the characters i wanted ended up returning as AT and others as spirits soooo i really hope this year will be in my favor for a character that i really really want!
and i mean it if Sora gets in i would honestly be ok with all the other characters i wanted not getting in, but i want that same satisfaction that most people have when a character on their list that they really wanted gets in haha

M@R!3

Smash Ace
this might sound selfish but i hope Capcom is actually deconfirmed so that Sora has a even bigger chance to be the next fighter >.<
last year all the characters i wanted ended up returning as AT and others as spirits soooo i really hope this year will be in my favor for a character that i really really want!
and i mean it if Sora gets in i would honestly be ok with all the other characters i wanted not getting in, but i want that same satisfaction that most people have when a character on their list that they really wanted gets in haha
I don't feel the same way about Sora's competition, but you most certainly aren't the only person here who would be happy if the only character they got was Sora. If Sora gets in everything else is just a bonus.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Capcom IS actually deconfirmed tho. By sabi's NoA source. Verge and Sabi's other source haven't said anything yet, but he is just as reliable. This has happened as well with other deconfirmations so far, not all of the 3 have deconfirmed a name at the same time but we have trusted in each one of them so far lol.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
nice choices, no idea who soma cruz is, but nice choices
You don't know Soma Cruz? He's the main character of Castlevania Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow. He's pretty popular among Castlevania characters both because the games he's in are great, and because REDACTED gives him the ability to absorb the souls of monsters to gain new powers.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You don't know Soma Cruz? He's the main character of Castlevania Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow. He's pretty popular among Castlevania characters both because the games he's in are great, and because being Dracula's reincarnation gives him the ability to absorb the souls of monsters to gain new powers.
ive never played castlevania, i dont know who any of the characters, i hadnt even heard of richter until smash and id only heard of trevor when a captain n fan brought him up

Top Bottom