• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So how would you guys imagine Sora's reveal trailer?

Personally I like the idea of it starting with Cloud fighting a bunch of guys in the colosseum stage, with Sora walking up to him and asking if he's ready for a rematch.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
There's a million different ways to do Sora's reveal should he get in. But I think I would do it similarly to when he entered the realm of darkness to help Riku using the same heroic version of Sora's theme, camera angles, and all. Just replace Riku with a relevant character like Cloud, Link, or Hero.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Just felt like coming by to voice my support. I've been re-evaluating characters in light of Sakurai's comments the past few days, and I've realized that I think Sora has an extremely good shot of getting in thanks to this additional DLC (or could be potentially #5 for all we know). Sakurai talked of wanting to expand Smash in meaningful ways and take this once in a lifetime opportunity to make Smash the best game he can. He also mentioned that this meant more opportunities to satisfy fans. The more I thought about it, the more I realized Sora was the perfect character to fit everything he was talking about. Sora is potentially the character that can be the next absolute showstopper of Smash speculation like Banjo & Kazooie arguably were earlier this Fighter's Pass in terms of making something seemingly impossible (at least through the lens of old standards), but very much loved by both the Smash fans and the community a reality. It just makes so much sense. Even more so with how Disney and Square Enix both seem on board with Switch and are on good terms with Nintendo at this point.

I don't know what it is exactly that really pushed my confidence for Sora over the line, but I just see it happening for some reason. Also, I'm super surprised the Sora thread is only on the 39th page. It seems like every YouTuber I see mentions Sora and he consistently does super well in fan polls, so why does there seem to be so few people here discussing him?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
There's a million different ways to do Sora's reveal should he get in. But I think I would do it similarly to when he entered the realm of darkness to help Riku using the same heroic version of Sora's theme, camera angles, and all. Just replace Riku with a relevant character like Cloud, Link, or Hero.
Aw, I can clearly imagine this in my head and the you tube streamers screaming their butts over such a trailer and it's exciting.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Just felt like coming by to voice my support. I've been re-evaluating characters in light of Sakurai's comments the past few days, and I've realized that I think Sora has an extremely good shot of getting in thanks to this additional DLC (or could be potentially #5 for all we know). Sakurai talked of wanting to expand Smash in meaningful ways and take this once in a lifetime opportunity to make Smash the best game he can. He also mentioned that this meant more opportunities to satisfy fans. The more I thought about it, the more I realized Sora was the perfect character to fit everything he was talking about. Sora is potentially the character that can be the next absolute showstopper of Smash speculation like Banjo & Kazooie arguably were earlier this Fighter's Pass in terms of making something seemingly impossible (at least through the lens of old standards), but very much loved by both the Smash fans and the community a reality. It just makes so much sense. Even more so with how Disney and Square Enix both seem on board with Switch and are on good terms with Nintendo at this point.

I don't know what it is exactly that really pushed my confidence for Sora over the line, but I just see it happening for some reason. Also, I'm super surprised the Sora thread is only on the 39th page. It seems like every YouTuber I see mentions Sora and he consistently does super well in fan polls, so why does there seem to be so few people here discussing him?
After Hero there wasn't a ton to discuss since things looked pretty bleak. That and the same points for and against Sora have been brought up over and over again. Sora also hasn't had much in the way of a presence in leaks (not since Square's list anyway), or any sort of circumstantial evidence like a missing Mii costume to fuel much speculation.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yo guys. Never posted here before, but there is something I would like to show you. Link it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/6MnauW3

I got this at the local state fair today. Pretty cool, huh? Well, I am not sure if Sora will make it i-oh to heck with it! Sora is cool! For Sora!

That said, you can add me as a supporter, though I am not sure how much I will post on this topic, to be honest. Still, I will root for Sora.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
After Hero there wasn't a ton to discuss since things looked pretty bleak. That and the same points for and against Sora have been brought up over and over again. Sora also hasn't had much in the way of a presence in leaks (not since Square's list anyway), or any sort of circumstantial evidence like a missing Mii costume to fuel much speculation.
I guess that's fair point that there hasn't been much to talk about for or against Sora in ages. I'm still just surprised this didn't get bigger during base game speculation or something of the sort to be honest. Like I said, Sora just seems like such a huge pick and for some reason, I've become super confident in his inclusion recently and want to see him happen for the community and for his fans.

I will get to playing Kingdom Hearts some day haha... (I'm scared to be completely honest, it's seem so huge and impossible to even attempt to finish, not to mention I don't have the best knowledge of Disney even if I do like quite a few films and IPs of theirs).

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Personally I never found the Kingdom hearts storyline to be THAT complicated, I always thought that the confusion was overexaggerated.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman

Personally I like the idea of it starting with Cloud fighting a bunch of guys in the colosseum stage, with Sora walking up to him and asking if he's ready for a rematch.
i would make it the sequel to the Hero trailer just like with Banjo was with K rool

Dharkon still lives on in the sky and this time all the Heroes except Eight have fallen under his control

Every big shot JRPG protagonist controlled by Dharkon surrounds Eight to capture him and includes:
:ultcloud::ulthero::ultjoker::ultlink::ultmarth::ultness::ultpokemontrainer:

- a gust of wind appears and sweeps all of them away, and thats where Sora makes his debut.

- after gameplay is shown, the trailer ends with Sora using the Keyblade to unlock Dharkon's clutches from Cloud and gives him a hand. The scene gradually pans out wide as Sora, Cloud, and Eight prepare to battle the hordes of darkness with Dharkon looming above them which include:

:ultbayonetta::ultcorrin::ultganondorf::ulthero::ultike::ultjoker::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultness::ultlucas::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ultfalcon::ultzss::ultzelda:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Personally I never found the Kingdom hearts storyline to be THAT complicated, I always thought that the confusion was overexaggerated.
I'm not worried about it being complicated as much as I'm worried about having to play 10 games worth of content haha, especially when my track record for finishing JRPGs has never been the best to begin with.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I'm not worried about it being complicated as much as I'm worried about having to play 10 games worth of content haha, especially when my track record for finishing JRPGs has never been the best to begin with.
I'd just play KH1 and KH2 if you just want to get into it. They are fun games and although their is a huge lore dump at the beginning of 2 from all the spin offs it stands up by itself perfectly fine.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Well a few of these can be beat within a day or two, games like Chain of memories and DDD aren't that long.

The longest game in the series is KH2, which felt like an eternity to get through, I know that ones the popular one but honestly I prefer 1 and 3 over 2.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Don't know if this has been talked about but with cloud having 2 songs & Hero only getting 2 songs for eatch hero how many & what songs would sora bring with him ?

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if this has been talked about but with cloud having 2 songs & Hero only getting 2 songs for eatch hero how many & what songs would sora bring with him ?
Probably around the same as Banjo depending if they want to do that number of remixes or he could have more. Both Cloud and Hero suffer the problem of having the same composer, Sakurai clearly found a go around to get more than 2 songs by making 4 different Heroes.

I imagine with Yoko Shimomura already helping with smash she would be happy for her music to get in as well so I see no problems on the music aspect of Sora. Sora's only hurdle is how discussions would go with Disney.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I guess that's fair point that there hasn't been much to talk about for or against Sora in ages. I'm still just surprised this didn't get bigger during base game speculation or something of the sort to be honest. Like I said, Sora just seems like such a huge pick and for some reason, I've become super confident in his inclusion recently and want to see him happen for the community and for his fans.

I will get to playing Kingdom Hearts some day haha... (I'm scared to be completely honest, it's seem so huge and impossible to even attempt to finish, not to mention I don't have the best knowledge of Disney even if I do like quite a few films and IPs of theirs).
The most recent piece of info we got was a tweet from a journalist who asked Shinji Hashimoto if Sora would be in Smash. His response was something along the lines of "He's not foreseen/planned.", which basically didn't tell us anything though others took it as a hard disconfirmation. Then Banjo got in after Grant Kirkhope said it wasn't happening so now words don't mean much of anything anymore. Not that they ever did. I really hope he makes it in. He's basically the only character I want at this point.

As far as playing KH, I absolutely recommend it, but it's not for everyone. The story and sometimes awkward presentation really push some people away from it, and the series has never been particularly difficult with the exception of post game optional content (which is right up there with Souls in a lot of cases provided you stay away from some very specific strategies). You can basically just mash with the occasional heal and make it through just fine. Critical Mode is given a lot of praise and deserves it, but most still play it the same way while accepting their deaths and leveling when they hit a wall instead of learning and experimenting with their options. Length is actually on the short side for JRPGs at around the 20-30 hour range per game, and a lot of that is cutscenes. The story isn't so much complicated as it is a lot to remember, and you don't need to be familiar with the Disney movies featured in each game to enjoy it (though that sometimes enhances the experience). If you do opt to play it I recommend playing the games in release order for the best story experience, and if you're not feeling the gameplay of a particular entry just watch the cutscenes on youtube (Everglow's channel is basically the best place for this) or read a summary. The handheld titles took a more experimental approach with their game design since they were built by a different team (this same team also made KH3), and while still enjoyable at a basic level, can leave a lot to be desired when compared to the three main entries. General consensus on what games have the best gameplay goes something like this: KH2FM, KHFM, KH3, with everything else being lower in no particular order.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Probably around the same as Banjo depending if they want to do that number of remixes or he could have more. Both Cloud and Hero suffer the problem of having the same composer, Sakurai clearly found a go around to get more than 2 songs by making 4 different Heroes.

I imagine with Yoko Shimomura already helping with smash she would be happy for her music to get in as well so I see no problems on the music aspect of Sora. Sora's only hurdle is how discussions would go with Disney.
Cloud and Hero don't have the same composer. Uematsu does the music for Final Fantasy VII and much of the series. Sugiyama does all the music for Dragon Quest. They are, however, both functionally a pain in the ass to work with and license music from from what I've come to understand. Uematsu is mostly just protective and expensive... and Sugiyama is just the absolute worst, often times refusing to put in orchestrated versions of music in the games and selling those orchestrated versions on his own later on for profit (and he's also an asshole who has denied War Crimes and said unsavory stuff about the LGBTQ+ community).

Shimomura on the other hand, is much less of an issue to work with as she has always seemed willing to work with whomever on whatever. She just doesn't get the same status as her male counterparts despite almost as impressive of a resume of work, so she doesn't seem to have the same barriers for musical inclusions in Smash. Plus, she has worked a lot with Smash already, so it would be a quite natural fit. I fully expect that other Square Enix characters would get more songs (technically Hero did, and I suspect was always going to since the 4 alts was Square Enix's idea and not Sakurai's way of getting around that issue).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
some of her musics already in there

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Cloud and Hero don't have the same composer. Uematsu does the music for Final Fantasy VII and much of the series. Sugiyama does all the music for Dragon Quest. They are, however, both functionally a pain in the *** to work with and license music from from what I've come to understand. Uematsu is mostly just protective and expensive... and Sugiyama is just the absolute worst, often times refusing to put in orchestrated versions of music in the games and selling those orchestrated versions on his own later on for profit (and he's also an ******* who has denied War Crimes and said unsavory stuff about the LGBTQ+ community).

Shimomura on the other hand, is much less of an issue to work with as she has always seemed willing to work with whomever on whatever. She just doesn't get the same status as her male counterparts despite almost as impressive of a resume of work, so she doesn't seem to have the same barriers for musical inclusions in Smash. Plus, she has worked a lot with Smash already, so it would be a quite natural fit. I fully expect that other Square Enix characters would get more songs (technically Hero did, and I suspect was always going to since the 4 alts was Square Enix's idea and not Sakurai's way of getting around that issue).
I believe if Sora does make it in I think Yoko Shimomura wouldn't mind doing remixes of her own songs from the Kingdom Hearts series, like you said Shimomura has been doing a bunch of remixes in Smash Bros with recently one of them being from Banjo Kazooie.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Not complaining, but well, having the Mickey Emblem on Sora's keyblade while he's a playable character, is like having a villager with a Shrek T-shirt as an alternate costume.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Not complaining, but well, having the Mickey Emblem on Sora's keyblade while he's a playable character, is like having a villager with a Shrek T-shirt as an alternate costume.
I think its more equivalent to Mario wearing a neckless that says 'Nintendo' on it. In the end Sora has just got some promotional material for Disney on his weapon I don't think it has an impact one way or another.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.

I think it would be funny if it began with the Star Fox team trading banter in an asteroid field, but then out of nowhere a powerful ship attacks the Arwings. Slippy says, "Let me handle this," then gets shot down. Next is Peppy, leaving Fox and Falco to fend for themselves. When we finally get a close-up on the enemy that's giving them a hard time, it turns out to be the Gummi Ship. Fox and Falco manage to take down the Gummi ship together, but damage their Arwings in the process--so they eject and land on the Lylat Cruise stage. The Gummi Ship's pilot ejects, too. First we get a view of his big shoes, then as the camera reveals the full sillouete, Sora's splash text is displayed. We then get gameplay footage of Sora fighting Falco and Fox.

Before all this, Star Fox Zero could be revealed as a Switch Port.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
You can say the same thing with Banjo the Rare logo is clearly on Banjo's Backpack mind you a logo that is owned by a rival company.
But in Sora and the villagers case, they would trigger a 4th party cameo. Banjo having the rare logo is completely different.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
But in Sora and the villagers case, they would trigger a 4th party cameo. Banjo having the rare logo is completely different.
First off since when does it have to be a called a 4th party cameo when it clearly is just 3 circles on a key chain, so does this mean that The Heroes in general who is all designed by Akira Toriyama mean Dragon Ball is represented since all his designs are his and mainly the same, pretty much yells 4th party cameo going by your logic.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
We’ve already had Mickey Mouse referenced in Smash, so I fail to see how another incredibly minor reference to Mickey on the Key Blade that’s barely visible to begin with. It’s not just flaunting Mickey in your face, it’s just a small little emblem that could also just be replaced by a Smash logo if it’s an actual issue.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Just throwing this out there but Kingdom Hearts 3 won a award at the Japan Game Awards.
I love how well Smash did here too.

Another question as an outsider to the Kingdom Hearts community... how well received has III really been? I see all kinds of hyperbole all over the place about it and there seems to be some fair criticisms I've heard from afar, but at the same time, I really haven't been able to figure out where it stands haha.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

Another question as an outsider to the Kingdom Hearts community... how well received has III really been? I see all kinds of hyperbole all over the place about it and there seems to be some fair criticisms I've heard from afar, but at the same time, I really haven't been able to figure out where it stands haha.
I think the game is amazing but just comparing it to KH1 & KH2 it just was disappointing story wise & not putting the Final fantasy characters who was a big part of the story in the first 2 games was a let down. I guess most people had high expectations before release but I guess some of that magic & charm was missing compared from KH1 & KH2.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Personally I liked it more than 2.

I felt like there was actual effort to the tie the Disney world's into the games overarching storyline and it made them feel less like filler.

Olympus ties into the ending of KH3D where Sora lost his confidence and got I back while helping Hercules.

Toy story and Big hero 6 tied into the search for roxas and the replica plot in how they keep going on about real hearts in fake bodies.

Tangled and frozen involved the princesses of heart from the first game

And Monsters Inc was my favorite in how my favorite villain in the series took control of the facility to get himself back to full strength.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I really need to do a better job of familiarizing myself with Disney stuff. I watched some of it when I was younger, but I don't remember a ton of stuff about most of it. The only Disney IPs I know from recent watching are Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one), The Lion King, and Mulan haha. I vaguely remember Monsters Inc. and Toy Story 1...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Sora will probably get in eventually, Nintendo has worked with Disney IP before, shouldn't be an issue honestly, he's also arguably one of the most requested characters and since we have :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, and :ultbanjokazooie:, I think he's next in that regard.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I've been thinking about what songs I would want from Kingdom hearts if Sora were to get in.
I think I've narrowed it down to 10:

1. Sora's theme (New remix) (Kingdom hearts 2)
2. Night of fate (Kingdom hearts)
3. Hand in hand (Kingdom hearts)
4. Working together (Kingdom hearts 3)
5. The encounter (Kingdom hearts 2)
6. Rage awakened (Kingdom hearts 2)
7. The Dream eaters (Kingdom heart 3DS)
8. Dearly beloved (New remix) (Kingdom hearts)
9. Demon's tide (Kingdom hearts 3)
10. One winged angel (Kingdom hearts 2.5 HD remix)

How bold of me to assume Square would let them have this many lol

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've been thinking about what songs I would want from Kingdom hearts if Sora were to get in.
I think I've narrowed it down to 10:

1. Sora's theme (New remix) (Kingdom hearts 2)
2. Night of fate (Kingdom hearts)
3. Hand in hand (Kingdom hearts)
4. Working together (Kingdom hearts 3)
5. The encounter (Kingdom hearts 2)
6. Rage awakened (Kingdom hearts 2)
7. The Dream eaters (Kingdom heart 3DS)
8. Dearly beloved (New remix) (Kingdom hearts)
9. Demon's tide (Kingdom hearts 3)
10. One winged angel (Kingdom hearts 2.5 HD remix)

How bold of me to assume Square would let them have this many lol
you mean disney

Top Bottom