• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
yeah sora always befriends his fellow heroes

from what ive read some union VAs get around this by remaining uncredited for their roles, and thats why we never have cloud's english voice actor cause hes under contract to always be credited
Which is funny because im pretty sure they replaced Clouds voice for the remake. If Nintendo had just waited a little longer to make Smash ultimate we probably could have gotten an English Cloud.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
from what ive read some union VAs get around this by remaining uncredited for their roles, and thats why we never have cloud's english voice actor cause hes under contract to always be credited
Wait, how does that work? Does removing your names from the credits mean anything?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I came across some interesting KH information on Twitter:

So wait, they were planning on having a character from a survival horror game in the first Kingdom Hearts game? That's crazy.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Parasite Eve? In kingdom hearts? I'm all for more square characters in these games but that's just weird lol

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

timbo8

Smash Cadet
I also received a mystery request for one thing to do first. I will return to UX after. I'll just say this: that one mystery thing is related to a yet-unannounced 3rd "line" of KH…… And in the 3rd line○○○○○○○……

hmmm this quote

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Even though Season 2 is confirmed, I honestly don't have high hopes for Sora--at least until we see some KH games, new or old, come to the Switch. I still haven't gotten over mine disappointment with KH3. Ergo, if we do get a new KH game for Switch, I hope it has a better written plot.

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
Even though Season 2 is confirmed, I honestly don't have high hopes for Sora--at least until we see some KH games, new or old, come to the Switch. I still haven't gotten over mine disappointment with KH3. Ergo, if we do get a new KH game for Switch, I hope it has a better written plot.
I agree with you to a certain extent, but we could get a port in the future? I feel like the fact that KH is on nintendo consoles in general also really helps his chances.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Hello everyone! I've been following Smash speculation since a little before E3 2018, but I never really felt the need to get involved with the community. It was always much more enjoyable to just sit back and read peoples thoughts as info trickled out. Like everyone else here, Sora is a character I would very much like to see in Smash. He's my most wanted in fact. Pretty much my dream pick since Brawl, but until Cloud I never really considered him a possibility. After Hero was announced I figured Sora didn't have much of a shot anymore, and my hope to see him in the biggest smash ever nearly went dry.

Then I got curious one day and went looking around to get an idea of how aware Disney was of demand for Sora in Smash (or that Smash even exists) and KH in general. Aside from the video of HMK discussing Disney of Japan being willing to help with the process there wasn't much. Barring the official Kingdom Hearts twitter account, Disney's various social media accounts rarely mentioned or promoted KH. Even if the account was for promoting properties that were featured in KH as a major selling point. As far as I can tell the only area of the company that really deals with KH often is Disney of Japan, and of course they would because they act as the go between for the rest of Disney and Square. Then I came across this guy. https://twitter.com/johntdrake/status/1150811150289780740?lang=en

He very recently became the VP of Business Development and Licensing for Games at Disney. If there's anyone there who can help make Sora happen it's this guy. I highly recommend we spread this around and tell this man just how much we want Sora in Smash. I know this won't help if Sakurai never approaches Disney, but the number one thing people always say when Sora is brought up is that Disney would refuse or cause problems. But perhaps if Disney is made directly aware of just how many people would love to see Sora in Smash they'll be more willing to cooperate. Maybe. Lookin' at you whoever decided to just let Spider-man drop from the MCU.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
At this point Sora is like borderline the highest requested third party character.

I'm thinking he might actually be in. Not to mention having a Disney character in Smash is totally Sakurai's brand of blowing everyone's mind
Smash DLC poll.jpg

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Here's a video by Maximilian Dood both reacting to Terry, while also having an interesting discussion of future DLC. The most interesting points he brings up are:

1. Early in the Switch's lifespan many old SNK games were released on the eShop and sold like hotcakes, which may have been where interest and talks about Terry coming to smash began
2. There is no truly impossible character that Sakurai could bring in at this point
3. The Tokyo Game Show is coming up in December, about a month before the theoretical window that character 5 would fall into (his guess is Monster Hunter due to the development of an exclusive game for the switch)

Conclusion: point #1 proves that exposure of even older titles matters. #2 is something we've already discussed here. I haven't really seen #3 talked about though, a reveal at TGS (most likely through a direct) seems somewhat reasonable
I posted this in the Isaac thread, but thought you guys would be interested in it too

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
That's not an issue here. Afterall, Banjo got in, and if Sakurai's word is anything to go by, his games aren't coming on the Switch anytime soon. Meanwhile, Disney has been dishing out several titles and 2 exclusives, which is is a common trend for every company that has a character coming to smash. Sora's chances are higher than you think, you might be surprised.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
That's not an issue here. Afterall, Banjo got in, and if Sakurai's word is anything to go by, his games aren't coming on the Switch anytime soon. Meanwhile, Disney has been dishing out several titles and 2 exclusives, which is is a common trend for every company that has a character coming to smash. Sora's chances are higher than you think, you might be surprised.
Point well-taken. In the end, all a character needs is at least one appearance on Nintendo systems to qualify. And since Smash Ultimate is clearly targeting the big names, that would mean Sora stands a fair chance, due to Kingdom Hearts's popularity. Ergo, assuming Sakurai wants Sora in Smash, all we have to hope for is Disney being as complaint as Microsoft was with Banjo.

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
So anyone else excited for the Remind dlc trailer coming next Monday? Anything in particular you all would like to see from it? I'm really just interested in getting a better look at the gameplay content.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So anyone else excited for the Remind dlc trailer coming next Monday? Anything in particular you all would like to see from it? I'm really just interested in getting a better look at the gameplay content.
ill probably be happy with whatever

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Guys, you might wanna take a read at this.
I mean, I certainly appreciate the enthusiasm, but this could've been framed better. Specifically speaking, the case for the promotional argument didn't need Terry and Joker to be dismissed. Infact trying to dismiss them just makes it seem that we're desperately trying to give Sora a second chance instead of basing our reasoning on actual facts.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Look at this; Sora is #1 on (almost) every single poll!

Last edited:

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Look at this; Sora is #1 on (almost) every single poll!
Heck yeah, good on Sora. one of my most wanted third-party characters. Let's hope he makes it finally!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, I'm up for almost any Square-Enix rep to join whether it be Sora, Geno, Sephiroth, Crono I would be just as happy about any of their inclusions into the roster. I played the first two Kingdom Hearts during my childhood and I loved them! You can put me on the support list.

https://twitter.com/pushdustin/status/1170886708994248704?s=21

PushDustin says this data isn’t trustworthy. As it’s a very small sample size and has a bunch of issues.

Sorry guys. It's not a very good poll. However, I would definitely vote on the Sabi/PapaGenos poll. That's likely to be a lot better!
Sora is still very high in a bunch of different polls on the Internet though.

Ryder16

Smash Cadet
what just happened with that trailer. wisdom form!? is oathkeeper's form like wisdom from? and darkform!?

M@R!3

Smash Ace
what just happened with that trailer. wisdom form!? is oathkeeper's form like wisdom from? and darkform!?
We don't know what Oathkeeper's form is called yet (probably Light Form), but that cinematic sequence with it appeared to be a bit like a reaction command from KH2.

Ryder16

Smash Cadet
it's just that it acted like wisdom form so it was my first thought when I saw that form's clip.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
it's just that it acted like wisdom form so it was my first thought when I saw that form's clip.
We have already seen how it fights in a prior trailer. It uses the same combos as Riku in KH3, but with light effects.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looks like they're giving the other characters better showings in the final fights so you feel less like Sayian Saga Goku.

I approve.

Last edited:
Top Bottom