• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
That's not how Sora swings the Keyblade. Sora can't turn into metal, or self-destruct, or use sleep magic, or self-buff.

Sora CAN transform his Keyblade into different weapons, cast limited magic spells, use Flowmotion to improve his mobility, glide, change into different drive forms, use Shotlocks, and swap between weapons on the fly.
I personally think overall, the intention of the magic/MP mechanic is shared with Sora, Hero, and Robin. Obviously the spells they use are different but this is one of their main traits. That's not to say this is an excuse that Sora will be a redundant magical sword user, as there's already three characters with meter mechanics: Little Mac, Cloud, and Joker.

Being a nimble and acrobatic aerial fighter is the other trait that is unique to Sora other than Keyblade switching.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
I keep seeing people just assume Sora is outright deconfirmed after DQ Hero got announced as the leaked Square Rep. Even though Sora would not even technically, he just straight up would be a Disney rep if he got added not a Square rep because Disney is the company who actually owns Sora and KH as a whole. Just like Banjo represents Microsoft not Rare, Sora would Represent Disney not Square.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
To be honest, I'm not expecting Sora to be part of the Fighter's Pass. That said, however, I don't think that means he won't appear in future DLC packs. According to the datamines, there were 30 DLC slots inserted. I seriously doubt that means 30 more DLC characters--rather, they just put them there in case they decide to make more Fighter Passes beyond the first; like adding water to oatmeal.

Once KHIII DLC is finished, I hope to hear more about the new Kingdom Hearts game that was teased at the secret ending. I wonder if we'll get more spinoff titles before KH4. If so, I really hope they make a KH game with Isa starring as the main character, which maybe focuses on what happened while he and Lea were apprentices. Will he ever find Skuld?

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I keep seeing people just assume Sora is outright deconfirmed after DQ Hero got announced as the leaked Square Rep. Even though Sora would not even technically, he just straight up would be a Disney rep if he got added not a Square rep because Disney is the company who actually owns Sora and KH as a whole. Just like Banjo represents Microsoft not Rare, Sora would Represent Disney not Square.
For me its not a matter of him being deconfirmed I just find him significantly more unlikely, he's still my number one for wanted though. I've always thought Sora would be a Disney character not square my only reasoning is because I imagined Sora playing similarly to DQ Hero. With that in mind and after the initial e3 mood I do believe Sora could turn up but he doesn't have the same chance for me as he did before (like from 80% to 40% could still see him happening).

Also a lot of people may think he's deconfirmed due to "costume Theory" which would have left one space for a new company (which was taken by Microsoft and Banjo). So the last two characters would be from Bandai and Capcom.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be honest, I'm not expecting Sora to be part of the Fighter's Pass. That said, however, I don't think that means he won't appear in future DLC packs. According to the datamines, there were 30 DLC slots inserted. I seriously doubt that means 30 more DLC characters--rather, they just put them there in case they decide to make more Fighter Passes beyond the first; like adding water to oatmeal.
trouble is, from what i understand, the unique alts take up the extra characters slots, so joker took two with his school uniform and the hero will take four with all his selfs

D

Deleted member

Well I'll be darn tootin. I always had the idea of an Disney Smash Bros. when I was younger. It was like it almost came to be.
I should've mention this when this was posted but if there's one character I would love to see in Disney Smash Bros, it's Giorno Giovanna from Jojo as a reference to Joker from Persona 5 but I don't Disney would approve the idea of having Mickey Mouse fight Giorno huh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
trouble is, from what i understand, the unique alts take up the extra characters slots, so joker took two with his school uniform and the hero will take four with all his selfs
That still makes it 7/30 with the first fighters pack and it's next to impossible for the last two characters to fill in the gap to 30. At the very least this leaves more hope for a second fighters pass (although I'm still hopeful that Sora will make it in the first pass).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That still makes it 7/30 with the first fighters pack and it's next to impossible for the last two characters to fill in the gap to 30. At the very least this leaves more hope for a second fighters pass (although I'm still hopeful that Sora will make it in the first pass).
true but you can but it is a bit of a blow to the theory

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Sora is being rerated in the Rate Their Chances thread. Show your support.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
So, I posted this on the rate their chances thread, but I feel like want to know what you guys think about my little theory:

Now that we have 3 DLC characters, we can now seriously find a link that connects them together. With Nintendo choosing the characters this time around, I believe that a sure fire way to predict who will be joining next is by looking at companies who have recently partnered up or released (or plan to release) games exclusively to the Switch. Examples being Atlus and their newest SMT game being exclusive to the Switch, as well as the re-release/ port of TMS #FE. Square Enix and their timed exclusive of Octopath traveler, the DQ 11 definitive edition, and multiple Final Fantasy releases on the Switch. And last but not least, Microsoft, who have allowed Cuphead and the Minecraft: Bedrock edition on the Switch (neither of which are on the PS4 mind you) and allows cross play between Switch owners and Xbox owners. Needless to say, these character inclusions seem to be added as an act of good will towards the companies they plan to do business with. What does this have to do with Sora's chances you ask? Well the reason is very obvious: Disney has met these criteria as well. For starters, Disney has partnered up with Nintendo for this project:
https://amp.businessinsider.com/nintendo-disney-switch-show-2018-6
Has released Disney Tsun-Tsun exclusively to the Switch, AND is releasing Marvel Ultimate Alliance exclusively to the Switch as well. The signs are all there for Disney to have a character included into Smash bros., and the clearest choice here is Sora. And I can say with confidence that they would choose Sora over characters like Mickey thanks to Banjo being chosen over characters like Mastercheif and Minecraft Steve. Now this theory isn't fully developed since I'm still looking into other companies who fit this criteria as well, but it's still something that I think shows promise for Sora's chances.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So, I posted this on the rate their chances thread, but I feel like want to know what you guys think about my little theory:

Now that we have 3 DLC characters, we can now seriously find a link that connects them together. With Nintendo choosing the characters this time around, I believe that a sure fire way to predict who will be joining next is by looking at companies who have recently partnered up or released (or plan to release) games exclusively to the Switch. Examples being Atlus and their newest SMT game being exclusive to the Switch, as well as the re-release/ port of TMS #FE. Square Enix and their timed exclusive of Octopath traveler, the DQ 11 definitive edition, and multiple Final Fantasy releases on the Switch. And last but not least, Microsoft, who have allowed Cuphead and the Minecraft: Bedrock edition on the Switch (neither of which are on the PS4 mind you) and allows cross play between Switch owners and Xbox owners. Needless to say, these character inclusions seem to be added as an act of good will towards the companies they plan to do business with. What does this have to do with Sora's chances you ask? Well the reason is very obvious: Disney has met these criteria as well. For starters, Disney has partnered up with Nintendo for this project:
https://amp.businessinsider.com/nintendo-disney-switch-show-2018-6
Has released Disney Tsun-Tsun exclusively to the Switch, AND is releasing Marvel Ultimate Alliance exclusively to the Switch as well. The signs are all there for Disney to have a character included into Smash bros., and the clearest choice here is Sora. And I can say with confidence that they would choose Sora over characters like Mickey thanks to Banjo being chosen over characters like Mastercheif and Minecraft Steve. Now this theory isn't fully developed since I'm still looking into other companies who fit this criteria as well, but it's still something that I think shows promise for Sora's chances.
personally i think they just went for popular characters

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
personally i think they just went for popular characters
While that's certainly one reason, Joker puts this into question since he's too new to attract that large of a following. Plus, there hasn't been a recent ballot to put him on the map either.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
While that's certainly one reason, Joker puts this into question since he's too new to attract that large of a following. Plus, there hasn't been a recent ballot to put him on the map either.
Yeah I think Joker was Sakurai's personal pick for DLC because he even talked about how he really enjoyed Persona 5 in that one Source Gaming article.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Yeah I think Joker was Sakurai's personal pick for DLC because he even talked about how he really enjoyed Persona 5 in that one Source Gaming article.
But we also have Sakurai on Twitter saying that Nintendo gave him a list to choose from. Sakurai may have chosen Joker out of personal bias, I won't put that past him, but it was Nintendo who gave him the option to do so in the first place.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
really? i thought he was an instant hit with people

also i meant popular in general not just popular for smash

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
really? i thought he was an instant hit with people

also i meant popular in general not just popular for smash
Oh no, he was definitely a big hit. You don't get nominated for the game awards for nothing and his game sales are nothing to sneeze at.
But if we're talking about choosing characters based on overall popularity and not just Smash popularity, then my attention shifts from Joker to Banjo, who isn't as popular as Minecraft Steve and Master Chief.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh no, he was definitely a big hit. You don't get nominated for the game awards for nothing and his game sales are nothing to sneeze at.
But if we're talking about choosing characters based on overall popularity and not just Smash popularity, then my attention shifts from Joker to Banjo, who isn't as popular as Minecraft Steve and Master Chief.
ive always found B&K as the most popular of that group

then again with banjo kazooie being dormant for more than a decade where as the other two have been active which probably did cause a shift i havent picked up on

but any way regardless of whether for the dlc characters they went for popular characters, popular choices for smash or indeed a mix of both id say sora fits both categories

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
ive always found B&K as the most popular of that group

then again with banjo kazooie being dormant for more than a decade where as the other two have been active which probably did cause a shift i havent picked up on
Nah. As far as I know, Master Chief became more popular by the time his second or third game was released and Steve has eclipsed the both of them In terms of popularity ever since MS bought the series. Probably even beforehand too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nah. As far as I know, Master Chief became more popular by the time his second or third game was released and Steve has eclipsed the both of them In terms of popularity ever since MS bought the series. Probably even beforehand too.
something about that seems a bit of a shame

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Steve was huge before Microsoft bought him. I don't know exactly when the merchandise kept growing bigger and bigger, but Steve had full merchandise before MS took the franchise under its wing.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

Altais

Smash Champion
Recently watched a walkthrough of Kingdom Hearts 0.2, and I dare say, it looks amazing. I can see mineself replaying it over and over again. It's short, but it's excellent. I actually like it better than Kingdom Hearts 3, despite it obviously being an experiment. That said, I really hope Kingdom Hearts: The Story so Far gets ported to the Switch, just so I can play this game. Aqua is mine favourite character, next to Isa. That said, I'm glad she got her own game. Again, won't be too upset if Kingdom Hearts 3 doesn't get ported, since I find it corny as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMvVoPRfsqg

I believe the Master of Masters is an illusion there. I have this theory that MoM actually appears before whoever wields the No Name Keyblade. Kind of like a Genie. So when Xehanort was first bequeathed no name, I believe the MoM appeared before him as a guide. The “eye” inside of the No Name keyblade is what allows this to happen. However, he’s not physically there.
This is an interesting theory.

Now that I've given it some more thought, I DO think Demyx being the Master of Masters would be way too predictable, especially given how clichéd the theory has become. That said, though, I still want him to play an important role in a future title. Like Luxord, we STILL don't know whom Demyx's Somebody is--so by that logic, he still has his secrets. Despite being lazy, Demyx has proven that he can be extremely dangerous when he wants to be. That said, I personally think he's just way to good a character to just sweep under the rug. He seems like the kind of anti-hero whom you can never predict will either help you or ruin your life.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Recently watched a walkthrough of Kingdom Hearts 0.2, and I dare say, it looks amazing. I can see mineself replaying it over and over again. It's short, but it's excellent. I actually like it better than Kingdom Hearts 3, despite it obviously being an experiment. That said, I really hope Kingdom Hearts: The Story so Far gets ported to the Switch, just so I can play this game. Aqua is mine favourite character, next to Isa. That said, I'm glad she got her own game. Again, won't be too upset if Kingdom Hearts 3 doesn't get ported, since I find it corny as hell.
The Switch probably couldn’t handle it, or 0.2, anyways. My realistic hopes are that 1.5+2.5 get ported along with DDD HD.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
The Switch probably couldn’t handle it, or 0.2, anyways. My realistic hopes are that 1.5+2.5 get ported along with DDD HD.
Or we could get another HD port that makes the DS games playable. 358/2 days is definitely something I'd want to play with friends on the Switch.

Altais

Smash Champion
Totally forgot Days had a multiplayer mode. Despite it not being graphically on par with the console games, Days is hands down mine favourite in the series. I've always liked the type of games that explore the bad guys' perspectives. If the game ever did get remade, I would definitely like to see some of the characters improved, gameplay-wise. That, and maybe add Birth by Sleep characters. Not just Terra, Aqua, and Ventus, but also Vanitas and Young Xehanort.

Sad, but true. I just thought 0.2 might be easier to optimise for the Switch, due to it being much shorter than KHIII--though I could be wrong.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So I'm just now finding out that KH3 has the most random Square enix cameo as a secret boss, one of the bosses in the gummyship sections is from an old shooter Square developed in the 90's, complete with the boss music from that game.

That's such an out of nowhere cameo that it went under the radar. I've never even heard of Einhander before this game.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
So I'm just now finding out that KH3 has the most random Square enix cameo as a secret boss, one of the bosses in the gummyship sections is from an old shooter Square developed in the 90's, complete with the boss music from that game.

That's such an out of nowhere cameo that it went under the radar. I've never even heard of Einhander before this game.
Oh wow I just looked into it and saw him. Definitely the hardest boss in the game, that's a fact.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I support Sora, despite not knowing him very well. I would love to see him playable!

I'm not surprised, but since Brawl, why has Sora still been nowhere to be found? He's not a playable character, not an assist trophy, not a trophy, not a spirit, not a boss, not a sticker, doesn't have a stage, doesn't have any music tracks.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I support Sora, despite not knowing him very well. I would love to see him playable!

I'm not surprised, but since Brawl, why has Sora still been nowhere to be found? He's not a playable character, not an assist trophy, not a trophy, not a spirit, not a boss, not a sticker, doesn't have a stage, doesn't have any music tracks.
i mean you could apply those questions to anyone

well in brawl the 3rd part stuff came with characters, in smash 4 the were very few 3rd party cameos not related to playable characters and as for ultimate while the 3rd party content has increased exponentially kingdom hearts is likely a very expensive license not the kind you want to regulate to a small role, also we have no idea how disney feels about sore in smash or indeed how sakurai would feel

really theres a multitude of possible reasons

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If the kingdom hearts games ever get a Switch port I hope they fix the audio mixing.

I love these games but a lot of the sound effects are way too loud on PS4.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
By the way, here’s some fan art of Sora and Erdrick together:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Hypothetical question: if Sora was allowed to be voiced in English--key term allowed (no pun intended)--would Haley Joel Osment voice him? Or would Yuri Lowenthal voice him as a double?
I don't see why they wouldn't use Haley. Unless he was a part of a union. From what I hear, Nintendo just refuses to work with union VAs.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
By the way, here’s some fan art of Sora and Erdrick together:

yeah sora always befriends his fellow heroes

I don't see why they wouldn't use Haley. Unless he was a part of a union. From what I hear, Nintendo just refuses to work with union VAs.
from what ive read some union VAs get around this by remaining uncredited for their roles, and thats why we never have cloud's english voice actor cause hes under contract to always be credited

Top Bottom