• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Now that Kingdom Hearts III has been out for a while now, I'm thinking about editing the OP.

Gamerant.com | Kingdom Hearts 3 Secret Ending Explained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKgABG2s6b0

Even with the new critical mode, I won't be too upset if KHIII doesn't get ported to the Switch--as storywise, it's among mine least favourite in the series.

That said, however, I'm hoping future titles will get made for the Switch, preferably the one featuring the setting in the above article/video. I think a Kingdom Hearts game with Sora and Neku fighting together would be amazing. For me, the most annoying thing about Dream Drop Distance was falling asleep at the wrong time. That said, if Sora and Riku are both playable in this new title, I'm hoping for a more convenient way to switch between the two.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey guys this here's a Fan Art i did for the dragon quest guys and since our main keyblade wielder is starring in it, I thought I would share it with you. I am wishing you guys the best of luck for Sora and whoever makes it in, lets just have fun regardless!
good luck auditions.jpg

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Hey guys this here's a Fan Art i did for the dragon quest guys and since our main keyblade wielder is starring in it, I thought I would share it with you. I am wishing you guys the best of luck for Sora and whoever makes it in, lets just have fun regardless! View attachment 215687
Believe-you-me dude, that's the plan. Thanks for the drawing too, it looks good!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Sora's getting a resprite in SSF2 Beta. Looks pretty great. Comes with a new entrance animation and potentially a new Final Smash? Most of his animations got a complete overhaul.

Riku assist trophy and The World that Never Was as a stage also confirmed.

There's also a hint of playable Waluigi here too.

Solid gold from the comment section:

"Unfortunately, defeating Waluigi's Heartless and Luwixiga has caused the original Waluigi to reform. "

Last edited:

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Sora's getting a resprite in SSF2 Beta. Looks pretty great. Comes with a new entrance animation and potentially a new Final Smash? Most of his animations got a complete overhaul.

Riku assist trophy and The World that Never Was as a stage also confirmed.

There's also a hint of playable Waluigi here too.

Solid gold from the comment section:

"Unfortunately, defeating Waluigi's Heartless and Luwixiga has caused the original Waluigi to reform. "

Saw a bunch of people talk so much **** about this game after this trailer came out on a 4chan thread. Most of it was people just being pissed at it's mere existence for some reason.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
God I love that TWTNW is now a stage. Honestly it's been the stage I always hope Sakurai would give to Sora. His resprite looks amazing too. SSF2 is the only fan game that makes me as excited as the real thing.

Last edited:

Hyperkirby013

Smash Rookie

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sora and Steve above Erdrick?

Doesn't sound right given Dragon Quest's popularity and legacy there as well as history and impact of JRPG.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Doesn't sound right given Dragon Quest's popularity and legacy there as well as history and impact of JRPG.
The sample size here is just a bit over 1 thousand votes, and seeing similar characters like steve, crash, sora and 2b so strongly makes me think they got influenced by seeing the other ballot. Also, looks like it's just dragon quest hero in general, not specifically erdrick.
Interesting to see tho.

Also, thx for finding that, Hyperkirby013 Hyperkirby013

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

In all fairness, Sora ranked high in another poll (one that had Rex and Mimikyu on it), and Minecraft was a successful title in the Japanese eShop, so it's not surprising at all to see results like those, even if we ignore the smaller amount of overall votes and the possibility of the american poll influencing,

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
So that makes 3 recent fan ballots where Sora had made it to the #1 spot. Although... If the number peaks at 1000+ for the Japanese poll, then I can't be sure this means much.
Meh to be fair after a certain amount of votes in any poll, who people vote for doesn't really see a notable change a lot of the time. So there might been less votes overall sure but mathematically speaking there isn't much a difference.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Actually a 1000+ is more than plenty. It's a common misconception that polls need to have exceedingly large turnouts to be accurate.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Meh to be fair after a certain amount of votes in any poll, who people vote for doesn't really see a notable change a lot of the time. So there might been less votes overall sure but mathematically speaking there isn't much a difference.
It really does make a difference though, because usually when there's a poll certain groups spread the word and often they share preferences. The bigger the poll and the news spreading, the better it is for diversity.

Any bigger sample size is always better. Sora is still clearly popular tho ;)

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It really does make a difference though, because usually when there's a poll certain groups spread the word and often they share preferences. The bigger the poll and the news spreading, the better it is for diversity.

Any bigger sample size is always better. Sora is still clearly popular tho ;)
Technically that isn't always true. While generally yes more data is preferred, in response driven data like online polls, the sharing of the poll could lead to overestimation and response bias. Really the best way for bigger to be better is to have a selected random sample of people and they are forced to respond. And if you can conduct multiple polls to average against each other bonus points. Since that's not possible much like in political polling we do this best we can with the assumed risks.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Technically that isn't always true. While generally yes more data is preferred, in response driven data like online polls, the sharing of the poll could lead to overestimation and response bias. Really the best way for bigger to be better is to have a selected random sample of people and they are forced to respond. And if you can conduct multiple polls to average against each other bonus points. Since that's not possible much like in political polling we do this best we can with the assumed risks.
Yes random selection is best, but since we dont have that the best is to rely on a source of news for a poll that spreads more evenly across.
And generally, the bigger the crowd, the more the news spreads around and will lead to more diversity.

1000 is pretty low for a smash poll, imo. But we still know sora is decently popular in japan, and with the other one being 22k+, sora seems pretty popular in the west. I dont feel it's accurate overall, but enough to have a rough idea.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Yes random selection is best, but since we dont have that the best is to rely on a source of news for a poll that spreads more evenly across.
And generally, the bigger the crowd, the more the news spreads around and will lead to more diversity.

1000 is pretty low for a smash poll, imo. But we still know sora is decently popular in japan, and with the other one being 22k+, sora seems pretty popular in the west. I dont feel it's accurate overall, but enough to have a rough idea.
1,300 is fine. For 99% confidence interval with 3% margin of error only 1,800 is needed in a poll. A little bit more data would have been nice but still. I'm actually more concerned about the 22K one since they threw out 35% of the votes. That's more than enough votes to change the top requests. I wish they'd at least show the spreadsheet with the cut votes in so we'd could at least use the more accurate data.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
1,300 is fine. For 99% confidence interval with 3% margin of error only 1,800 is needed in a poll. A little bit more data would have been nice but still. I'm actually more concerned about the 22K one since they threw out 35% of the votes. That's more than enough votes to change the top requests. I wish they'd at least show the spreadsheet with the cut votes in so we'd could at least use the more accurate data.
1,3k is a very small number of the smash population in japan, so i dont think you can make those calculations. It's still not a bad sample to see tho.
I dont think they threw out the other votes unless they were trolls? I thought they just didnt list who the votes were for. I could be wrong but that's what i thought was the case.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
1,3k is a very small number of the smash population in japan, so i dont think you can make those calculations. It's still not a bad sample to see tho.
I dont think they threw out the other votes unless they were trolls? I thought they just didnt list who the votes were for. I could be wrong but that's what i thought was the case.
Well see after you get to 20,000 for a population size the amount of votes required pretty much stops growing. So those numbers I listed work were done for a population of 10 million which since Smash Ultimate has sold 13 million and it's doubtful that 10 of that came from Japan those numbers still works. But no the data they threw away were for non videogame characters, characters with less than 20 or 25 votes, or AT characters. While I can understand their mentality in excluding the first 2 at the very least they should have kept in the AT characters. I get the pollsters felt they can't be DLC but you don't put your own opinions into the poll. I still wish we could see the full results for accuracy's sake.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well see after you get to 20,000 for a population size the amount of votes required pretty much stops growing. So those numbers I listed work were done for a population of 10 million which since Smash Ultimate has sold 13 million and it's doubtful that 10 of that came from Japan those numbers still works. But no the data they threw away were for non videogame characters, characters with less than 20 or 25 votes, or AT characters. While I can understand their mentality in excluding the first 2 at the very least they should have kept in the AT characters. I get the pollsters felt they can't be DLC but you don't put your own opinions into the poll. I still wish we could see the full results for accuracy's sake.
Sure, I'd like to see the full results too.

I was talking about the japanese poll, in terms of being small. If it were accurate then kingdom hearts would be higher in other types of polls there. The last one I found was one by Famitsu from 2017, with over 5k votes. Here's how it was:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/09/famitsu-poll-results-best-all-time-game.html

I had to look into the longer list to see where kingdom hearts was, and it's number 46.
You can see it here: https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-readers-choose-the-top-100-best-games-of-all-time/

Kingdom hearts has always been popular in japan but not quite as much as some other games. We could say that right now Sora is popular because Kingdom Hearts 3 is still fresh and in the minds of people. And that's true a lot of the time and has to be considered about surveys. Persona 5 was still fresh in 2017 and we can see it made first place there. And we also see Nier automata and a few other newer ones.
But that's not something in favor of sora because it'd be around that time or earlier that nintendo started deciding on dlc.

We can see some of the games that stood the test of time over there, namely Chrono trigger, FF7, Shenmue, and Dragon quest 3.
But that's japan, and there's still more consider, so we dont know what nintendo will end up showing us.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Lots of text
While yes you are right, wants change over time and KH3 likely had a good hand in Sora's placement, one thing to also consider is that favorite games or great sellers in general don't necessarily correlate to Smash want. Like for instance DQ despite being a large seller in the West is not a popular pick here. Same with Chrono Trigger. Or for the ultimate example few things sell more than CoD but no one wants the gunmen from those games in Smash. While smaller game characters like Banjo, Isaac, and Geno are far more requested. We can reasonably assume Japan is similar.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
While yes you are right, wants change over time and KH3 likely had a good hand in Sora's placement, one thing to also consider is that favorite games or great sellers in general don't necessarily correlate to Smash want. Like for instance DQ despite being a large seller in the West is not a popular pick here. Same with Chrono Trigger. Or for the ultimate example few things sell more than CoD but no one wants the gunmen from those games in Smash. While smaller game characters like Banjo, Isaac, and Geno are far more requested. We can reasonably assume Japan is similar.
For sure. And even though dragon quest sells well over there (east), it's much more than just popular, so I would say in terms of an SE rep, Sora and Erdrick (or a dq hero) are very good competitors.

Sakurai likes dq and talked about it at some points, including about playing dragon quest builders recently. that doesnt necessarily mean overly much, but he did talk about liking persona 5 too and went to atlus because of that. He's talked about Kingdom hearts too some, so in my mind both have some chances.

I would hope that if some do consider the two to be rivals, that it'd be a friendly rivalry, because I dont enjoy fanbases going at each other. It's a game, and we should be enjoying ourselves ;)

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
I still wish we could see the full results for accuracy's sake.
The thing about this is that no matter what they
they should have kept in the AT characters. I get the pollsters felt they can't be DLC but you don't put your own opinions into the poll.
The problem with this in the context of these polls is that well first off all when concerning rules of the poll bias will always play some role. Secondly there's the fact that these were polls made to see what people think is going to be/ who they want to see personally be added as "DLC" and that's the key phrase there DLC. At this point I think everyone can agree that AT are not going to be DLC for this game. Just going off of what we've seen for the previous DLC in Smash 4. And lastly as of recently what Nintendo stated about the DLC being meant this time around for drawing in more people to the game/ to the switch who don't already have one. AT aren't gonna really draw in anyone who isn't already a part of the the Smash community much less already part of the Nintendo community. I feel like some AT will probably be turned into playable characters in the NEXT game sure but I think at this point it's safe to say they're pretty much deconfirmed for ultimate sadly. So I can't get mad at the poll makers for excluding them from the poll personally as at this point I feel it's a bit of unrealistic expectation to think they're possible.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
The thing about this is that no matter what they

The problem with this in the context of these polls is that well first off all when concerning rules of the poll bias will always play some role. Secondly there's the fact that these were polls made to see what people think is going to be/ who they want to see personally be added as "DLC" and that's the key phrase there DLC. At this point I think everyone can agree that AT are not going to be DLC for this game. Just going off of what we've seen for the previous DLC in Smash 4. And lastly as of recently what Nintendo stated about the DLC being meant this time around for drawing in more people to the game/ to the switch who don't already have one. AT aren't gonna really draw in anyone who isn't already a part of the the Smash community much less already part of the Nintendo community. I feel like some AT will probably be turned into playable characters in the NEXT game sure but I think at this point it's safe to say they're pretty much deconfirmed for ultimate sadly. So I can't get mad at the poll makers for excluding them from the poll personally as at this point I feel it's a bit of unrealistic expectation to think they're possible.
That's the problem. This poll was who the community wanted as DLC and with no factual basis to exclude AT characters losing a large chunk of data because the people conducting it themselves don't like it makes the polls worse. For instance it is a popular opinion ATs can't be DLC along the community but it's not the person's job doing the poll to take out those votes because of their opinions. If an AT character doesn't make in to the results because the community didn't think it was possible that's a conclusion driven by data and is interesting. Data excluded by the pollsters just makes the poll less informative. It has nothing to do with who is possible because only 5 characters are possible at the moment its about not messing with the data.

Last edited:

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
That's the problem. This poll was who the community wanted as DLC and with no factual basis to exclude AT characters losing a large chunk of data because the people conducting it themselves don't like it makes the polls worse. For instance it is a popular opinion ATs can't be DLC along the community but it's not the person's job doing the poll to take out those votes because of their opinions. If an AT character doesn't make in to the results because the community didn't think it was possible that's a conclusion driven by data and is interesting. Data excluded by the pollsters just makes the poll less informative. It has nothing to do with who is possible because only 5 characters are possible at the moment its about not messing with the data.
My whole thing about ATs being DLC is not that they can't happen it's just that it's highly unlikely that they will happen mainly due to the fact that they are already technically in the game therefore are already reps of their IP. Not to mention the fact that it would piss more people off than it would please simply due to the fact that most people would immidiately ask "okay cool but why was this character just not either base roster or just held off from being in the game like Piranha plant or MewTwo in Smash 4?" and those are very valid questions to ask from a consumer standpoint. No one is gonna like that they have/had to pay for characters that should have in all due respect just been base roster outright. That's why most people just outright see AT as just hard deconfirmation. It's not really about "bias" per say since people were super pissed about the likes of characters like Shovel Knight, BomberMan, Shadow, and Isaac being ATs instead of playable. But they accepted the fact that those characters are not likely to appear as DLC due to the reasons I just mentioned. That rule was never about "bias" It was just an educated guess/ assessment made by people in the community. Also excluding ATs in ballots like this actually forces people voting out of personal bias more to vote for ATs on bias alone, less for who they actually see happening. Which A LOT of people would have done and you know it. That's something that would 100% skew votes more than anything away what the poll is actually asking and that's who people "actually" see happening not who they hope it is.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
My whole thing about ATs being DLC is not that they can't happen it's just that it's highly unlikely that they will happen mainly due to the fact that they are already technically in the game therefore are already reps of their IP. Not to mention the fact that it would piss more people off than it would please simply due to the fact that most people would immidiately ask "okay cool but why was this character just not either base roster or just held off from being in the game like Piranha plant or MewTwo in Smash 4?" and those are very valid questions to ask from a consumer standpoint. No one is gonna like that they have/had to pay for characters that should have in all due respect just been base roster outright. That's why most people just outright see AT as just hard deconfirmation. It's not really about "bias" per say since people were super pissed about the likes of characters like Shovel Knight, BomberMan, Shadow, and Isaac being ATs instead of playable. But they accepted the fact that those characters are not likely to appear as DLC due to the reasons I just mentioned. That rule was never about "bias" It was just an educated guess/ assessment made by people in the community. Also excluding ATs in ballots like this actually forces people voting out of personal bias more to vote for ATs on bias alone, less for who they actually see happening. Which A LOT of people would have done and you know it. That's something that would 100% skew votes more than anything away what the poll is actually asking and that's who people "actually" see happening not who they hope it is.
The poll was conducted on the stand point of who people wanted. If people want AT characters and people vote for them then it's not up to the pollsters to say they aren't happening so they can't be present. They would be the same as me conducting the poll and since I think Doomguy has no chance cutting the votes for him. Just because I don't think he's happening doesn't change people want him. Basically conduct a poll and then draw your conclusion from the total don't throw out the part you disagree with. In America it's a common statement to say voting third party is a waste of a vote but in polls they don't just cut that data out. It would much more significant to see Waluigi go from in the top 10 to the bottom 30 in the data instead of cutting him out of the poll all together where no one can see the change in his status. ATs may be unlikely as DLC (though your points about them making people mad I disagree with, those fanbases would be extremely happy to see them in the game officially) but these things aren't about who is likely. Half the characters aren't likely but people vote for who they want to see. At the end of the day keep the data clean and let people draw their own conclusions instead of only keeping what fits your opinion.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I honestly like the results for both versions. They feel rather accurate, though I do wish we had a bigger userpool for the Japanese one. I like the fact that the poll is for completely realistic options, not super unlikely ones. I can tell they likely either removed "guys who just don't have a chance despite getting votes" or "those with too low of votes" from their full poll list. My favorite option is a good example of an unfeasible character.

It helps that the criteria was very upfront(which avoids skewed results) and they didn't remove any votes, which helps keep far more accurate results. Non-feasible characters or those who were way too low weren't on their overall list. I do wonder what the JP list was after the top 20-some?

Ryder16

Smash Cadet
I have been reading this thread for some time now. but I'm in the sora4smash boat. also, it is looking good popularity whys for Sora by those polls. wow, I have seen a jump it the number of people wanting sora. edit: so I don't see someone like erdrick being revealed at e3 as its a western event maybe someone more along the lines of sora or banjo(i don't know if that right I don't know who the charter is). also, I heard square has been known to lie so I wouldn't be surprised is square was the one who set up the erdrick leeks but that is my opinion.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I have been reading this thread for some time now. but I'm in the sora4smash boat. also, it is looking good popularity whys for Sora by those polls. wow, I have seen a jump it the number of people wanting sora. edit: so I don't see someone like erdrick being revealed at e3 as its a western event maybe someone more along the lines of sora or banjo(i don't know if that right I don't know who the charter is). also, I heard square has been known to lie so I wouldn't be surprised is square was the one who set up the erdrick leeks but that is my opinion.
You must not have been following the news that closely. There were 7 names that were mentioned more often than others in the leaks (one of whom being Sora) and According to the source, Erdrick's name was mentioned the most. The leakers only assumed that Erdrick was the SE rep because of how often his name was mentioned (although that could've changed since the time that info was released. I haven't really been keeping up with the news).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You must not have been following the news that closely. There were 7 names that were mentioned more often than others in the leaks (one of whom being Sora) and According to the source, Erdrick's name was mentioned the most. The leakers only assumed that Erdrick was the SE rep because of how often his name was mentioned (although that could've changed since the time that info was released. I haven't really been keeping up with the news).
There was also Brave being datamined, and many had a theory it related to Erdrick due to the Yuusha translation. A lot of leakers heavily believed in this theory, which was poorly conveyed into making people think they had actual information on Erdrick beyond simple rumors. There's still some leakers(but under 5 at this point) who had rumors of Erdrick being in that they outright believed in, unrelated to the Brave thing. A lot of users believed the other leakers(not the very few who had strong rumors, like Verge) had hard evidence for Erdrick being in, but the reality was they were just theorizing about the Yuusha thing.

Poor communication, basically.

Hyperkirby013

Smash Rookie
I'm here to say I support Sora and Roxas with all of my heart.

But I won't stick around for now for fear of spoilers for Kingdom Hearts 2 and beyond
Yeah get to playing the other games my guy lol.

And another thing about the SE character rumor is that Square has been known to give people troll answers in order to prevent leaks in the first place. Like maybe they told a few people Geno was coming, and another few Erdrick was coming, and another few that Sephiroth was coming, etc. So who knows who the SE rep will be if there even is one, but no one is a solid lock right now

Last edited:
Top Bottom