• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
[QUOTE="Chinderblock, post: 23022524, member: 844"I guess a small set of people will think it's weird Square-Enix isn't mentioned, but not everybody knows he's owned by Disney, so it's something easy to correct.[/QUOTE]

Square Enix would be mentioned anyway because Cloud's already in the game. The people who think Square owns Sora would believe that the Square Enix credit is referring to both Cloud and Sora.

EDIT: Fun fact: on Valentine's Day, I saw Alita: Battle Angel just to help Fox beat Disney while wearing my Kingdom Hearts shirt!

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Kingdom Hearts 3 San Fransokyo Impressions:

I personally did not follow the route of visiting each world by level of difficulty this time around. I decided to tackle San Fransokyo first, since I heard about The Caribbean being a giant game on its own with 50+ treasures to collect. Plus, The Caribbean felt like the perfect, final Disney world to do with its setting and characters. I strongly believe that I made the right decision, because San Fransokyo was a great change of pace overall in pretty much every aspect.

Game-design wise, I really liked how this world was non-stop missions, instead of letting the player explore the city for treasures and lucky emblems first. When I was doing just the missions instead of exploring, it felt like I was actually playing a REALLY good game, as if I was revisiting KH2 again. It was sorta like playing Smash Ultimate’s classic mode in terms of pacing, but even more substantial. I did not feel slogged down once, and when it was time for a break in-between missions, I felt extremely motivated to complete the entire world. Not to mention, the world’s setting was so different and modern compared to other Disney worlds, that doing tasks in San Fransokyo was a bizarre and immensely engaging experience.

The story was pretty decent too, minus one thing. I honestly forgot how entertaining the Big Hero 6 team were and I was smiling a lot when it came to Fred’s character interactions. The characters were decently fun the whole time, and Hiro felt very developed, especially when it came to Dark Baymax and Dark Riku encounter scenes. Hiro felt as developed as Buzz in the Toy Story world. The story of Hiro gradually finding the original chip of Baymax was going good, until that ending. Coping out the chip sacrifice, but instead using the chip again to make the second Baymax felt like a bit of a betrayal, and kinda loses the point of Hiro’s character growth. But honestly, the change of pace in game design for the San Fransokyo world makes up for it easily.

Even with the world’s single major flaw in one part of the story, I consider this to be one of the best worlds in KH3. I am actually very eager to explore more of this world to collect all the treasures and lucky emblems later.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Kingdom Hearts 3 San Fransokyo Impressions:

I personally did not follow the route of visiting each world by level of difficulty this time around. I decided to tackle San Fransokyo first, since I heard about The Caribbean being a giant game on its own with 50+ treasures to collect. Plus, The Caribbean felt like the perfect, final Disney world to do with its setting and characters. I strongly believe that I made the right decision, because San Fransokyo was a great change of pace overall in pretty much every aspect.

Game-design wise, I really liked how this world was non-stop missions, instead of letting the player explore the city for treasures and lucky emblems first. When I was doing just the missions instead of exploring, it felt like I was actually playing a REALLY good game, as if I was revisiting KH2 again. It was sorta like playing Smash Ultimate’s classic mode in terms of pacing, but even more substantial. I did not feel slogged down once, and when it was time for a break in-between missions, I felt extremely motivated to complete the entire world. Not to mention, the world’s setting was so different and modern compared to other Disney worlds, that doing tasks in San Fransokyo was a bizarre and immensely engaging experience.

The story was pretty decent too, minus one thing. I honestly forgot how entertaining the Big Hero 6 team were and I was smiling a lot when it came to Fred’s character interactions. The characters were decently fun the whole time, and Hiro felt very developed, especially when it came to Dark Baymax and Dark Riku encounter scenes. Hiro felt as developed as Buzz in the Toy Story world. The story of Hiro gradually finding the original chip of Baymax was going good, until that ending. Coping out the chip sacrifice, but instead using the chip again to make the second Baymax felt like a bit of a betrayal, and kinda loses the point of Hiro’s character growth. But honestly, the change of pace in game design for the San Fransokyo world makes up for it easily.

Even with the world’s single major flaw in one part of the story, I consider this to be one of the best worlds in KH3. I am actually very eager to explore more of this world to collect all the treasures and lucky emblems later.
strictly speaking that wasnt the original chip that was the combat chip he made for baymax, the original chip is in the second baymax

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Further reasoning why Xion is more worthy of being Sora's echo fighter than Roxas:

While Roxas initially wields the Kingdom Key and fights in a stance identical to Sora in 358/2 Days and data TT in KH2, he barely shares any abilities that are identical to Sora. He is most known for his dual wield abilities, and the samurai nobody that serve him also derives from him. Additionally:

- Can be considered a partial "antagonist" character due to the events in 358/2 Days and being a part of True Organization XIII briefly.
- During her boss fight, she completely copies Saix's fighting stance, Berserk ability, and wields an exact copy of Lunatic. This means she can copy the abilities of another person, which lies exactly in the terms of an echo fighter.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
strictly speaking that wasnt the original chip that was the combat chip he made for baymax, the original chip is in the second baymax
I see, but the ending scene was directed in a way that felt like a cop-out. Either way you interpret it, I consider it to be a bad writing decision.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Further reasoning why Xion is more worthy of being Sora's echo fighter than Roxas:

While Roxas initially wields the Kingdom Key and fights in a stance identical to Sora in 358/2 Days and data TT in KH2, he barely shares any abilities that are identical to Sora. He is most known for his dual wield abilities, and the samurai nobody that serve him also derives from him. Additionally:

- Can be considered a partial "antagonist" character due to the events in 358/2 Days and being a part of True Organization XIII briefly.
- During her boss fight, she completely copies Saix's fighting stance, Berserk ability, and wields an exact copy of Lunatic. This means she can copy the abilities of another person, which lies exactly in the terms of an echo fighter.
I tell people this all the time Roxas is too different from Sora to be a regular echo his whole kit is completely different. He makes more sense as a unique fighter in my opinion.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I tell people this all the time Roxas is too different from Sora to be a regular echo his whole kit is completely different. He makes more sense as a unique fighter in my opinion.
Yeah, when you think Roxas, you don't think of him wielding the Kingdom Key. You would want him to be rocking both Oblivion and Oathkeeper! Xion would fit a lot better as an echo for that very reason. Bonus points for her original game being on the DS.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Yeah, when you think Roxas, you don't think of him wielding the Kingdom Key. You would want him to be rocking both Oblivion and Oathkeeper! Xion would fit a lot better as an echo for that very reason. Bonus points for her original game being on the DS.
Yes, because Xion is one of the first characters everyone thinks of when they think KH. /s

If, by some chance, we do get a second KH rep outside of Sora, it's gonna be a truly major character. Riku, Roxas, or Aqua.

Sorry, but just because you CAN fight different doesn't mean you won't be an echo. Ken, Lucina, and Dark Pit could all theoretically do other things in their moveset but they're still echoes.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yes, because Xion is one of the first characters everyone thinks of when they think KH. /s

If, by some chance, we do get a second KH rep outside of Sora, it's gonna be a truly major character. Riku, Roxas, or Aqua.

Sorry, but just because you CAN fight different doesn't mean you won't be an echo. Ken, Lucina, and Dark Pit could all theoretically do other things in their moveset but they're still echoes.
She's the first thing I think of when I think of KH on Nintendo consoles.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
She's the first thing I think of when I think of KH on Nintendo consoles.
Then you're the outlier.

KH2 is what the huge majority of players were introduced to and think of when Kingdom Hearts is brought up, and that game prominently features Roxas as a major character, with him serving as the tutorial and using a single keyblade.

Even in Xion's most prominent game, Roxas takes center spotlight using his single keyblade. Kingdom Hearts on Nintendo consoles is far more likely going to bring up Sora, Roxas, or Riku.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Then you're the outlier.

KH2 is what the huge majority of players were introduced to and think of when Kingdom Hearts is brought up, and that game prominently features Roxas as a major character, with him serving as the tutorial and using a single keyblade.

Even in Xion's most prominent game, Roxas takes center spotlight using his single keyblade. Kingdom Hearts on Nintendo consoles is far more likely going to bring up Sora, Roxas, or Riku.
Well except his most iconic moments in 2 are all with him using 2 keyblades.

For real though why did any Xehanort think for even a moment using Xion as one of the Darknesses was a good idea? Axel, one of her biggest friends, was on the other side and they didn't even Nort her first. Like if they took 2 seconds to fill her with Darkness like Aqua ok that would have made sense but nope. It's almost like they wanted the other members to fall away.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I can see the validity of Xion being a more fitting Echo fighter, for reasons already stated. Truth be told, the thought crossed mine mind before the subject was discussed. However, the reason I chose Roxas over her is because ultimately, he is the titular character of Kingdom 358/2 days. He also has seniority over Xion, and is generally more well-known. I still remember when people used to call him BHK (Blonde-Haired Kid).

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Her or Kairi honestly because even though she has a different keyblade than sora but her fighting stance and initial combo seems to be basically identical to Sora's from KH1 version.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Kingdom Hearts 3 The Caribbean Impressions:

This is one world that I really liked. I was very impressed by. Aesthetically, this world was as bizarre to explore as San Fransokyo. I really liked the pirate ship gameplay and loved exploring The Caribbean’s islands for treasure and lucky emblems. The only thing that kinda made the journey lackluster was the lack of Jack Sparrow as your partner for a huge chunk of the story after collecting 300 white crabs. By the time I got Jack back, I had already maximized the levels for my ship and collected everything.

One thing I liked story-wise were the cutscenes. I had never seen the third film World’s End personally, but I could tell how faithful the SE staff were at being faithful in realistic character movements and expressions. It felt so on point that I was VERY engaged, especially during the final scenes with Davy Jones. The only things I have issue with is the lack of context for particular parts of the story. I could tell that, like with Tangled and Frozen, cut some parts of the story that leaves some plot-holes unanswered. This was a good world. I just wish there were more islands to explore post-story. ;_;

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Carribean and San Fran were the best worlds to play IMO.
Really capitalized on the idea of the "giant" worlds and what could be done with them.

Hopefully we see more of those worlds in KH4 and not... Arandelle.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I cannot believe that I am almost done with KH3. I wonder if I should do the other activities like Gummi missions to 100% this game. Man, playing this game was a trip, even when the beginning felt rough.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Carribean and San Fran were the best worlds to play IMO.
Really capitalized on the idea of the "giant" worlds and what could be done with them.

Hopefully we see more of those worlds in KH4 and not... Arandelle.
What's wrong with Arendelle?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Maybe if they base Arendelle on Frozen 2 and have Elsa as a party member, it can be a better world.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Loose Thoughts on Kingdom Hearts 3 after finishing it:

When KH3 was near release, I was dreading the thought of not being able to play this game on time, as someone that primarily buys games on the Switch. I became so desperate that I ended up winning an auction for a cheap PS4 and utilized my coupons at Newegg to finally get the game. I watched story recap videos of the Xehanort saga and a few impression videos while awaiting the package to arrive. When I held the physical game in my hands, it was unbelievable. I thought to myself, this is the game that will close part of my life and end the story in a satisfying conclusion. After playing this game for nearly a month, slowly taking my time through exploring and completing each Disney world to the final battle, my impressions of this game is that it is a good game with a lot of charming moments and good gameplay elements, though story-wise and in a few gameplay aspects, Kingdom Hearts 3 is underwhelming. Finishing this game was not satisfactory.

Gameplay-wise, I think the Shotlock, upgradable/transforming key blades, team attacks, and flow motion made playing through the game quite fun. The level-designs are quite excellent too in pacing me as a player. I do not see the worlds as overwhelmingly huge as some fans think. The only thing I have complaints about the Disney worlds this time is the lack of notable areas like not being able to explore the actual town of Arendelle or not visiting the barbarian bar in Corona to visit the vikings. The Lucky Emblem collecting and Ratatouie side-quests are fun too and added to the exploration value. The Gummi Ship missions are quite fun this time around too. At first, I just wanted to get from point A to point B and not bother at all with Gummi missions, but at a later point, collecting blueprints, customizing my gummi ship, and completing missions with an A rank became a fun addiction.

There are some gameplay aspects I find unnecessary. The attractions are too overpowered and they get introduced in the game in a sudden, very anti-climatic way. I found myself wanting the timer to count down for attractions so that I could use other special moves instead. Most of the Classic Kingdom mini games sucked and I dreaded playing some of them when I was trying to complete it for the sake of completion. Although the mini games are a small/neat novelty, I feel there could have been a better retro-inspired alternative that would have made discovering these games in treasures far more rewarding. I would’ve liked something akin to Layton The Last Specter’s Town Life minigame over plain G&W games. The biggest problem I have is the lack of a coliseum mode in Olympus and a lack of substantial post-game content. The Battlegates did not do much for me (although the secret boss was fun to play against) to keep me further occupied with the game, although they were a useful grinding tool. The Coliseum not being present is a downer, and that mode is what made KH2 have strong replay value after going through the main story.

To get into the story in terms of Disney worlds, some are underwhelming. Frozen, Pirates, and Tangled all have cut story content from their films that it makes watching cutscenes jarring sometimes. Setting aside the hilarious ending, Monster’s Inc’s story of Sully trying get Boo back in her room is an underwhelming plot that is just too simple. A lot of potential with character development was wasted with Olympus and 100 Acre Wood with not enough substance. The only worlds that have actually interesting stories are the Toy Story and Big Hero 6 worlds, though the latter ends in an anti-climatic moment.

In regards to the original, main plot of Kingdom Hearts, I do not see it as bad. But, the more I spent time thinking about the characters post-game, the more I thought about the wasted potential. Kairi is the biggest victim in the story, as KH3 doesn’t really flesh her out into an actual interesting character, moreso being a princess waiting to be rescued. Aqua, Kairi and Roxas could have had some side-story/playable roles in the Disney worlds that would have made progressing through KH3 more satisfying. Instead, all of the story is dumped in the final battle. The final parts just felt off to me, even when I was enjoying plot twist reunion following another plot twist reunion. And Master Xehanort’s inner motivations to acclaiming Kingdom Hearts was just flat out bad. The way the conclusion was handled made finishing this game less rewarding than expected.

Am I glad that I played KH3? Yeah, at least for the unbelievable task of actually finishing a game that’s practically a myth to me. I feel more care was put into fleshing out worlds and gameplay more than story, and that is a bit disappointing. Will I get back to Kingdom Hearts if there is a sequel? Yeah, but only if certain Disney worlds are present (Zootopia, Inside Out, Wreck-it-Ralph and Coco come to mind easily) with huge levels to explore. Though story-wise, if these worlds ever happened, I get the feeling the execution of some will be underwhelming with flat writing and occasional top-tier moments. Whatever the actual story for KH4 is, that is no longer going to be a selling factor for me, since I hold large skepticism that Nomura will actually pace the story well and actually accomplish good character arcs in a sequel. Admittedly, I am a bit curious about where the story is going after seeing the epilogue and secret movie, but I still hold my doubts. I wish I was not disappointed in KH3, but that is how I honestly feel about this game.

Last edited:

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
If Sora was actually announced for Smash what do you guys think his kit would be mainly based on? His KH1 kit, his KH2 kit, or his KH3 kit? Or do think they'd pull a little from all three kits in some way?

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
If Sora was actually announced for Smash what do you guys think his kit would be mainly based on? His KH1 kit, his KH2 kit, or his KH3 kit? Or do think they'd pull a little from all three kits in some way?
KH3 would definitely be the main kit at this point. You'd have one or 2 things from KH 1 & 2, but overall, it'd be KH3.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
KH3 would definitely be the main kit at this point. You'd have one or 2 things from KH 1 & 2, but overall, it'd be KH3.
Maybe who knows honestly though? Considering how much they could base his kit off of from just those three games alone though it could go any way really.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Don't know if this has been discussed here, but you guys have seen this before right? Sora at Disneyland:

Always thought seeing him there was really cool!

Falco_DJ

Smash Apprentice
Hi, just curious as to weather or not anyone has some ideas for Sora's moveset? I like listening to moveset concepts because it gets me excited for a new character possibility, so I thought I'd ask.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I've only played KH1, so all I can really picture is that boomerang keyblade throw thing and a bunch of FF spells like Fira/Gravity/etc.

The way they make characters nowadays he'd probably jump off Shadow heartless or something stupid though.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I feel like it'd be cool if Sora had two Final Smashes.

His normal Final Smash would probably be Trinity Limit, but at higher damage his Final Smash could be Rage Form, where Sora would rapidly slash across the screen in fury while also restoring his health.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
I feel like it'd be cool if Sora had two Final Smashes.

His normal Final Smash would probably be Trinity Limit, but at higher damage his Final Smash could be Rage Form, where Sora would rapidly slash across the screen in fury while also restoring his health.
I feel like his Final Smash would probably be him and Riku doing their KH Dream Drop Distance/KH3 unison attack where they summon a giant Keyblade together.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Hmmm 15th… mid month… usual time for directs… Please Nintendo, make a special announcement of a switch port of that + his smash reveal by then :p If only haha…

Top Bottom