• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
The more I think about the lyrics of Lifelight, the more they feel like something out of KH.

"Search your soul and reawaken the undying light,"

"As fate spins, a thread without end, new life draws it's first breath,"

"Every soul contains a whisper of light, growing louder as it calls to unite
From a distance sings a chorus of souls, rising slowly stirring heat from the coals,"

If that doesn't scream "Kingdom Hearts" to you... what's wrong with ya?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Kingdom Hearts 3 Olympus/Twilight Town Impressions:

Personally, I was disappointed with my experience in exploring and delving into these worlds, especially Olympus. I was interested to see how the climax of Hercules would come to be, since Kingdom Hearts had not explored that part of the Hercules universe until now. The execution of the story is so mediocre though. The world had a decent, charming beginning with the opening cutscene and Hades’ encounter, but then I am flung into a intense situation and from that point, all that basically happens is Sora going from Point A to Point B to defeat the titans, who are far less difficult than the difficulty of titans in KH1.

Hercules hardly participates in the story and in gameplay throughout my journey. Hercules would feel at least a bit substantial had Sora allowed Hercules to answer his question, but that did not happen. He did not have an interesting story beyond the simple goal rescuing Zeus/Meg to restore Olympus. As possibly the last farewell to the Hercules franchise for KH3, Hercules did not do much or grow much with Sora with his friends beyond just a source of encouragement, and that is disappointing.

Phil and Zeus hardly did anything. Hell, Phil did not even get to say anything, and I wanted to see SOME words from him about how Sora grew into even better heroes. Zeus just thanks Sora for saving him after the big battle, and that is all that is done with the character. No actual bonding growing moment between Herc and Zeus, just a comedic farewell to Hades. Hades has worse treatment in the story honestly. He had a solid start in the story, but then he just leaves once Zeus is in presence. No epic final battle, it is just an anti-climatic departure. Everything about the way the climax of the Hercules’ story was just mediocre.

Gameplay wise, I did not like how attractions were just suddenly introduced in this world. I would have really appreciated some form of backstory behind the powers, but nope. If I had to be honest about attractions, so far, this new gameplay mechanic made battles way too easy to the point of making combat boring. Personally, I would have liked to have earned the attractions through hidden location discovery through gameplay at least, and made activation of them require more steps instead of just mashing attacks on Heartless to get the power in a short breeze. I kind of get why this was done from a game design standpoint to introduce new mechanics for players to keep on playing, but it makes for uneven, unsatisfactory gameplay progression. Also, not having a coliseum mode in this world like the last two games was another disappointment (Though, there is the chance I might find that kind of mode in another world possibly later, maybe the Big Hero 6 World with the underground tournaments in the film?)

So far, I am sort of disappointed with KH3 overall. Right now, I am currently in the Toy Box world at the start of the Galaxy Toys store. So far, the story and world is more interesting and entertaining than Olympus, so the game might pick up strong engagement for me soon. As far as my thoughts on Twilight Town go, I have a few disappointments (Like the world being so small to explore), but I enjoy the liveliness of citizens, the number of events going on in the district, and the number of activities you can do. I like the new gameplay features like the ratatouille cook minigame and the Gummiphone Lucky Emblem side-quest. The former is a bit disappointing with the short length of cooking though. The Lucky Emblem quest I love, mainly because it carries a feature from DQ8 I love and executes the idea much better. Those are my scrambled thoughts for now.

Felancius

Smash Cadet
With how many Kingdom Hearts games have been on Nintendo handhelds, the prank about Mushroom Kingdom Hearts in Nintendo Power (I think it was back in 2008), as well as an apparent rumor that KH3 might be coming to the Switch, I think Sora's one of the most likely non-Nintendo main characters that would make it into Smash after Joker. There's just a lot within the past that'd make him likely, though it really depends on relations between Disney and Nintendo though.

Roxas as an echo on the other hand, while a neat idea, I don't think would be happening, or might disappointingly be more akin to Peach and Daisy, a glorified reskin, or Simon and Richter, where the differences are super minuscule if they did it. That's just my opinion though.

Regardless, we'll just have to see in due time.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Ngl kinda sad Shibuya from The World Ends With You wasn't included in this game. Would've loved to see a Neku and Shiki render that doesn't look awkward like in DDD.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Kingdom Hearts 3 Toy Box Impressions:

I liked this world. There were some interesting conflicts going on like the somewhat intriguing exploration of toys and darkness and the developments with Buzz Lightyear in particular, doubting the world division deal and really believing Sora. Although, I find it a bit disappointing that Woody/Buzz just accept the separated world and use Sora’s growing friendship for comfort, even in the loss of their closest play buddy Andy. Still, I will take any kind of substantial development to get me satisfied. Woody’s savage speech against Young Master Xehanort in the climax was definitely the highlight. I would have liked to see at least one Toy Story character return after the battle, like Bopeep or Mr. Potato Head honestly. That will likely be saved for the credits I bet as a tease.

Gameplay wise, it was fun exploring the world. The only complaint I have really is that the rest of Andy’s House is not explored. I would have liked to have explored one more big area in the Toy Box, but the Galaxy Toys area was good enough, I suppose. Kingdom Hearts 3 is slowly becoming more enjoyable. I will be exploring the world map for powering up my Gummi Ship next time this week, cause the boss blocking the path to Corona takes so long to rack up damage for my Lvl. 1 Highwind.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I gotta say, since I made the music post the other day, I've been jamming to The Caribbean's battle theme. It's surprisingly epic!

Not gonna lie, hearing it in Smash would be pretty freaking awesome.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I have this idea that if they include Sora in Smash in order to avoid referencing Mickey mouse instead of giving Sora the Kingdom key (Which has mickey's head on it) they should try giving him an original designed Keyblade modeled after Smash bros.

Since Sora gets a Keyblade when he visits a new world and he'd be jumping into the world of Smash bros I think that would make sense.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
With how many Kingdom Hearts games have been on Nintendo handhelds, the prank about Mushroom Kingdom Hearts in Nintendo Power (I think it was back in 2008), as well as an apparent rumor that KH3 might be coming to the Switch, I think Sora's one of the most likely non-Nintendo main characters that would make it into Smash after Joker. There's just a lot within the past that'd make him likely, though it really depends on relations between Disney and Nintendo though.

Roxas as an echo on the other hand, while a neat idea, I don't think would be happening, or might disappointingly be more akin to Peach and Daisy, a glorified reskin, or Simon and Richter, where the differences are super minuscule if they did it. That's just my opinion though.

Regardless, we'll just have to see in due time.
If Sora had to have an echo fighter, then Xion matches that description the best.

Her stance is exactly the same as Sora's and her fighting style is similar.

ZetaXO

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4787-7862-7678
I have this idea that if they include Sora in Smash in order to avoid referencing Mickey mouse instead of giving Sora the Kingdom key (Which has mickey's head on it) they should try giving him an original designed Keyblade modeled after Smash bros.

Since Sora gets a Keyblade when he visits a new world and he'd be jumping into the world of Smash bros I think that would make sense.
That would be a wonderful idea! Any guess to how it would look?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I have this small personal hunch that third party Smash DLC newcomers will follow up with an unannounced port of their games, kinda like Joker and the hopefully coming port of P5. I think right now Square Enix could be making an unannounced port of KH3, but will follow it up with a Smash reveal of Sora. It's a small hunch, and I'm not really banking on it, but it is the small ray of light that makes me think Sora could get in over Erdrick (Since technically, the port of DQ11 has been announced already).

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
I'm still holding on to hope that Sora will be DLC simply because Reggie said that the DLC would be characters we wouldn't expect. I think that statement applies better to Sora, so hopefully!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
That would be a wonderful idea! Any guess to how it would look?
Not entirely, obviously the keychain would be the smash bros logo.

I'm thinking the tip would look like a very tiny smash ball surrounded by flames.

Also I finished KH3, and one of the things that happens in the end game would make for a perfect final smash:
When all those Keyblades from fallen warriors come in to help Sora out. That Scene was so great it would make such a cool final smash.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
>fully modeled Destiny Islands, Radiant Garden, etc.
>doesn't make them playable
>hypes up Kairi and her training in the magic world where "time isn't a factor" etc.
>she jobs and gets kidnapped AGAIN
>"You've seen me too weak too often"
>jobs again despite supposedly being the strongest master besides Mickey etc.
>Xehanort gets redeemed

Getting end-of-Naruto flashbacks.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.

That's actually an interesting idea.

Gamerant.com | Kingdom Hearts 3 on Switch is ‘Possible’, Says Nomura

Kingdom Hearts 3 would probably run into some technical limitations on Nintendo Switch considering that, although it is Nintendo’s most powerful console, the Switch does not have nearly as high of specs as the Xbox One and PS4. It’s impossible to say until the developer makes an attempt at getting the game onto the Switch, but like some ports of games on Switch, downgrading certain aspects of the game may be necessary. Nevertheless, the prospect of Kingdom Hearts 3 on the Switch is an exciting possibility.
Figured as much. Nevertheless, it's nice to know it's at least a possibility. If not the Switch, then I hope KH3 gets ported to the PC. Since it's becoming harder and harder to avoid spoilers, especially on YouTube, I'm tempted to just watch the cutscenes and be done with it.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman

You mean like this concept art I made for a Smash Bros themed Keyblade?
SmashBros Inspired Keyblade.jpg

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord

Honestly, I would prefer if Sora kept the Kingdom Key. They have to ask Disney for the character, so why not use the Mickey symbol? If they really can't reference anything Disney, then Sora's inclusion would be cheapened even more than Cloud.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Ooh, interesting. Not the direction i would have thought of personally, but it's a cool idea, and there's some nice attention to detail.
I went for the KH3 Keyblade design aka heavily pulling design elements from the world in question. I did an Overwatch Mei Keyblade using the same design style.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, I would prefer if Sora kept the Kingdom Key. They have to ask Disney for the character, so why not use the Mickey symbol? If they really can't reference anything Disney, then Sora's inclusion would be cheapened even more than Cloud.
in what way was cloud cheapened?

edit: and done

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
if i may share some musings on the end and secret movie

what and ending quite the final battle, that moment where eraqus and xehanort were reunited was a great part, and then seeing everyone, terra ven and aqua making a memorial for eraqus, lea roxas xion on the clock tower with isa and hayner pence and olette , namine waking in a body of her own and then everyone together on destiny islands and it was sad seeing sora disappear but he'll be back and the intrigue for the next saga, xigbar is luxu! and it looks like the foretellers maybe the next villains and who knows what pete and malefecient are gonna do if they get the box and it looks like yozora is real oh boy its gonna be something

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Kingdom Hearts 3 Kingdom of Corona Impressions:

I loved exploring this world, primarily because of the lovable characters that I partner with. Interacting with stuff to please Rapunzel made me pretty happy. There are a few complaints I have, that being some of the cut content from the movie. Where are the barbarians and the bar? Where is the exploration of Flynn as a thief? No context is really given. There is not one interaction with the king & queen whatsoever. The characters drove me through exploring the world though, although, sometimes Rapunzel can get annoying when she gets fascinated by the outside world too many times while I am out exploring every nook and cranny for treasure/lucky emblems. The world’s field theme for Corona is the highlight, I love the positive vibe in the composition. And the world, when I saw the flower fields and the faraway view of Corona, it was absolutely breathtaking. And the dance minigame, while it took a while to get use to, was pretty fun. So far, Corona is one of my favorites, but more character exploration would have make the journey more satisfying.

Kingdom Hearts 3 Monstropolis Impressions:

The world overall is ok. The story pushes me into the action immediately after the Sora’s greeting, continuously on intense action until the final battle comes. There is not much room for interesting developments regarding the characters because of this, which is disappointing. It just focusing on Sully getting the girl back to her room is a disappointing plot honestly. Also not having the Monster’s Inc intro theme as the world theme was an incredibly missed opportunity. It should have been that, like how Toy Box has the theme with You Got a Friend in Me, though the world theme sounds ok (At least for the field theme’s first theme). One thing that sort of made up for was that immensely hilarious encounter and character interaction at the end of the story. This is the first time in 2019 where I managed to laugh harder than two minutes, processing the unbelievable event that just happen.

Kingdom Hearts 3 100 Acre Woods Impressions:

100 Acre Woods, dear lord, so much potential for the story was wasted with a very short campaign of the world. All you do in this world is three different Bubble Bobble like mini-games, whose primary purpose is mainly for ingredient gathering. Pooh does not have much of an interesting interaction with Sora as the last two KH games. This world honestly feels like a last minute decision. For the possible climax of Sora and Pooh hanging out one last time this was incredibly disappointing. The potential was wasted here more than the Olympia world, so much wasted potential that I rather forget this world existed at all.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don’t think the Mickey logo on the Keyblade would be a problem. Disney owns Sora, I’m sure they’d allow Disney references in Smash.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Or, alternatively, the keychain could just be removed.
Be honest, how often do people even pay attention to the keychain?
(Raises hand) I do. And if they put so much attention to detail that they put a mark in Lucina's eye that's impossible to see in gameplay, why should they remove the keychain? And wouldn't they get in trouble with Disney if they put a Disney character in the game and remove the thing that marks him as Disney property? Removing the Mickey keychain would be like putting Superman in and removing the S emblem from his chest.

D

Deleted member

All this DLC hype made me draw Sora. Here's a good place to post it if you don't frequent the SE thread. Will try the series out when I get the time. You go, guys. Wouldn't mind him being in because I respect him as a fighter.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
(Raises hand) I do. And if they put so much attention to detail that they put a mark in Lucina's eye that's impossible to see in gameplay, why should they remove the keychain? And wouldn't they get in trouble with Disney if they put a Disney character in the game and remove the thing that marks him as Disney property? Removing the Mickey keychain would be like putting Superman in and removing the S emblem from his chest.
It's not really the same. S emblem is an iconic part of Superman but the Mickey emblem isn't really iconic to Sora it's just a small little keychain that isn't even the iconic part of what it is attached to. If the keychain was removed most people wouldn't notice unless pointed out. However I do agree there's no reason to remove it. It's three connected circles, it's hardly going to cause issue. And to even get Sora they need Disney's permission so it's not like they would say yes to Sora and not a few circles on a keychain.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i imagine the licence fee for mickey is far more expensive than sora so wed better hope a hidden mickey isnt quite as expensive

D

Deleted member

Hey i got a question. Is Haley Joel Osment an union voice actor? Because if he is, then Sora will have to stick to his seiyuu for all versions of Ultimate.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Why have I not posted here? Am I crazy?

Sora needs to be in this game imo, he's probably one of the most iconic JRPG protagonists of all time, and he fits into Smash like a glove.

I should also add I'm a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts, having been with the series since the second game on PS2, so count me in as a supporter!

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Hey i got a question. Is Haley Joel Osment an union voice actor? Because if he is, then Sora will have to stick to his seiyuu for all versions of Ultimate.
Considering how Kingdom Hearts uses union voices and was the first game where Cloud was voiced by Steve Burton, plus how Osment was in a lot of movies with his most famous role being that kid from The Sixth Sense, I'd say he must be a union actor. And while Miyu Irino sounds fine as Sora, I prefer to understand the characters in English and I really don't want another character forced to speak Japanese over contractual obligations. Even worse when he's owned by the American-based Disney and hangs around western movie characters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Considering how Kingdom Hearts uses union voices and was the first game where Cloud was voiced by Steve Burton, plus how Osment was in a lot of movies with his most famous role being that kid from The Sixth Sense, I'd say he must be a union actor. And while Miyu Irino sounds fine as Sora, I prefer to understand the characters in English and I really don't want another character forced to speak Japanese over contractual obligations. Even worse when he's owned by the American-based Disney and hangs around western movie characters.
do we know that he is contracted to be credited as sora's voice actor every time? if not he can use the same loop hole the other union voice actors use

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
What are the chances of us getting a story so far port tomorrow. I know 3 is a ways off, if it comes at all, but must of SSF are last Gen or on the 3ds anyway so the Switch could definately run it.

Top Bottom