• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The difference here though is that KH is PRIMARILY a video game IP FIRST and foremost. Sora isn't a character that only cameos in a video game occasionally and originates from a medium outside of gaming. He is a video game character first and foremost not a Disney movie character first and foremost. It's not that we think ANY character ever who has been in a video game at some point should have a spot in the game that's unrealistic. We are discussing a character who is known for their video game background primarily not his cameo background to be added in. Sora may be a Disney character but he is still primarily a video game name to pretend like that isn't true simply because of who owns him is idiotic. That's like saying Sonic isn't "really" a video game character first and foremost because he appeared in TV shows and comic books. That's literally not how any of that works... like at all.
Wait... um...
DA02413A-E070-47A6-84D2-6B3E7F96C5E9.png

This is Sora's support thread. How is that post "off-topic spam"? (The post it was replying to may or may not be off-topic; it looks like some absurdist parody of a common argument against Sora.)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Wait... um...
View attachment 187114
This is Sora's support thread. How is that post "off-topic spam"? (The post it was replying to may or may not be off-topic; it looks like some absurdist parody of a common argument against Sora.)
Mods don’t want the debate of whether non-videogame characters should be in Smash or not.

Personally I think responses should be allowed to express the obvious fact that Sora is a videogame character, but I can understand not allowing replies so that people don’t put that point forth in the first place.

(Does this make sense? I’m super tired I’m just typing)

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
So since December I've binged all the "important" Kingdom Hearts games. 1, 2, Birth By Sleep and everything in 2.8. As Resetera put it, those were the most important ones to play before 3 came out. I did read up on what happens in Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days and Re:coded.

2 > Birth By Sleep > 1 > Dream Drop Distance. Don't really want to rank A Fragmentary Passage since it's so short and basically a demo for 3. Really excited for 3 now. And it's so close to release!

Anyway, Sora would be a great choice for Smash, though I worry that being so heavily associated with Disney properties would keep him out. Think Erdrick is more likely in general still but think both of them as well as Crono and Geno would all be fantastic picks for Smash.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
So since December I've binged all the "important" Kingdom Hearts games. 1, 2, Birth By Sleep and everything in 2.8. As Resetera put it, those were the most important ones to play before 3 came out. I did read up on what happens in Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days and Re:coded.

2 > Birth By Sleep > 1 > Dream Drop Distance. Don't really want to rank A Fragmentary Passage since it's so short and basically a demo for 3. Really excited for 3 now. And it's so close to release!

Anyway, Sora would be a great choice for Smash, though I worry that being so heavily associated with Disney properties would keep him out. Think Erdrick is more likely in general still but think both of them as well as Crono and Geno would all be fantastic picks for Smash.
It’s great that you support his inclusion, but we’ve got to look at it like this. Sora is a Disney rep, not a SE rep because SE don’t own the copyright of KH. So in truth, Sora doesn’t necessarily have to compete with others SE characters

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
It’s great that you support his inclusion, but we’ve got to look at it like this. Sora is a Disney rep, not a SE rep because SE don’t own the copyright of KH. So in truth, Sora doesn’t necessarily have to compete with others SE characters
Yeah, it's just easy to group him with them since Square Enix develops all the games. Plus FF characters appear in them as well.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
Yeah, it's just easy to group him with them since Square Enix develops all the games. Plus FF characters appear in them as well.
But it’s lead to the point where the misconception is that both Sora and other SE characters are competing to rep SE, which isn’t true

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
He is the awkward lovechild of SE and Disney. TBH he is in his own limbo, and grouping him with SE does make sense even if he has his own hurdles distinct from any other SE rep.

Also a Roxas echo would make so much sense and I would love it, so long as he is in the Org Coat. That normal outfit is white toast. Bland! I also just want Roxas for the Deep Dive final smash tbh.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
He is the awkward lovechild of SE and Disney. TBH he is in his own limbo, and grouping him with SE does make sense even if he has his own hurdles distinct from any other SE rep.

Also a Roxas echo would make so much sense and I would love it, so long as he is in the Org Coat. That normal outfit is white toast. Bland! I also just want Roxas for the Deep Dive final smash tbh.
But characters are repped for companies they always rep the company that owns their copyright, not the ones that created them. SE relinquished any sort of official ownership/representation once they signed of KH to Disney. Let’s look at Bayonetta for example... on her Smash 4 DLC page it explicitly mentions the copyright holders at the time (SEGA and Nintendo), not the creators (Platinum Games). Same with Snake, Konami at ethe ones explicitly credited... not Kojima. If Persona were still owned by SE they would be SE reps... but they’re owned by SEGA so now they’re SEGA reps (not Atlus reps)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 is correct. There is no debate here on whether Sora is a video game character or not. It's completely off-topic.

Being one user asked, I'm simply keeping it a response only. Luigifan18 Luigifan18 Basically, he's correct. It's off-topic and considered spam, since it's effectively pointless and leads to the same bad derail. This is also why we aren't allowing threads for non-game characters(unless Nintendo owns them and they had a game appearance in some way), because people are more interesting in debating something this pointless instead of properly discussing the character.

D

Deleted member

I know this is off topic and I'm certain topic like this is already discuss but wouldn't be cool if Nintendo create their own version of Kingdom Hearts but with their own characters?

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Idk, I wouldnt say characters "rep" their companies at all. The final result is always a character repping a series.

Sure there are some ties with disney that Sora has, but its not necessarily a bad thing. Nintendo has good history with Disney ever since they were manufacturing playing cards. Disney loaned out Wreck it Ralph to Sega as cross promotion for Sonic All Stars Racing.
And any partnership with Disney Nintendo has will probably only help the series push more units.
Nothing is impossible.

And its likely that any attempts to recruit Sora would have to go through Square in some form anyways. That being said, potentially Nintendo reached out to square and probably discussed the possibility of obtaining Sora via a Disney contact.

I just think we all get too caught up on the Disney aspect of all this. Its a factor sure, but I doubt its a deal breaker unless profits are divided up between too many companies. However, even if Nintendo didnt make a profit off of Sora, having Disney involved in marketing would be an asset compared to just another game company like square or capcom.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Idk, I wouldnt say characters "rep" their companies at all. The final result is always a character repping a series.

Sure there are some ties with disney that Sora has, but its not necessarily a bad thing. Nintendo has good history with Disney ever since they were manufacturing playing cards. Disney loaned out Wreck it Ralph to Sega as cross promotion for Sonic All Stars Racing.
And any partnership with Disney Nintendo has will probably only help the series push more units.
Nothing is impossible.

And its likely that any attempts to recruit Sora would have to go through Square in some form anyways. That being said, potentially Nintendo reached out to square and probably discussed the possibility of obtaining Sora via a Disney contact.

I just think we all get too caught up on the Disney aspect of all this. Its a factor sure, but I doubt its a deal breaker unless profits are divided up between too many companies. However, even if Nintendo didnt make a profit off of Sora, having Disney involved in marketing would be an asset compared to just another game company like square or capcom.
Square-Enix doesn't hold any rights to any KH content. All licensing is done through Disney as is. Now, if there's any Final Fantasy content, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Nomura is more talked to help approve of Sora's usage, but Disney doesn't go to him all the time. Just often out of respect for the character creator. Likewise, he'll probably be involved with Sora's character work in Smash itself anyway. Whether or not he'll be breathing down Sakurai's neck in how he's implemented is another story. Cloud was pretty easy for Sakurai to work on since he didn't have a supervisor that was on his toes. He obviously had some help, but it was more of a friendly advice type thing.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
Square-Enix doesn't hold any rights to any KH content. All licensing is done through Disney as is. Now, if there's any Final Fantasy content, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Nomura is more talked to help approve of Sora's usage, but Disney doesn't go to him all the time. Just often out of respect for the character creator. Likewise, he'll probably be involved with Sora's character work in Smash itself anyway. Whether or not he'll be breathing down Sakurai's neck in how he's implemented is another story. Cloud was pretty easy for Sakurai to work on since he didn't have a supervisor that was on his toes. He obviously had some help, but it was more of a friendly advice type thing.
This pretty much

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Now that I think about it, Sora being a rep for Disney’s games over-all would be pretty neat. Disney’s had a decent amount of good games over the years with a lot of them being on Nintendo systems.

DuckTales, Aladdin, Maui Mallard, the Capcom Mickey games, Epic Mickey & hell technically even Star Wars/Marvel games. I think Disney is easily the “outsider” with the best lineup of games.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Now that I think about it, Sora being a rep for Disney’s games over-all would be pretty neat. Disney’s had a decent amount of good games over the years with a lot of them being on Nintendo systems.

DuckTales, Aladdin, Maui Mallard, the Capcom Mickey games, Epic Mickey & hell technically even Star Wars/Marvel games. I think Disney is easily the “outsider” with the best lineup of games.
I would lose my mind if we can also get some Club Penguin spirits.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

100%

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I know the obvious choice for Sora's colors would he his Drive forms but I would prefer if they made his colors be based on other characters in the series.
1. Sora default
2. Riku
3. Kairi
4. Terra
5. Aqua
6. Ven/Roxas
7. Axel
8. Vanitas

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I know the obvious choice for Sora's colors would he his Drive forms but I would prefer if they made his colors be based on other characters in the series.
1. Sora default
2. Riku
3. Kairi
4. Terra
5. Aqua
6. Ven/Roxas
7. Axel
8. Vanitas
I also prefer when characters’ colors are based on other characters, rather than different forms of the same character.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Can you add me to the supporters list, please? I never got around to asking before despite being my third most wanted character (After Elma and Dohvakiin) and after seeing Brave modded onto Ike I am pretty sure that Sora is Brave so it's now or never.
Also, just because Sora is owned by Disney doesn't make him not a video game character. Disney isn't a film company it's a multimedia company and even so Sora originated in a game and apart from a short lived manga (A form of media which about 70% of the Smash cast also have appeared) has never appeared in a medium outside of Videogames.

1. Sora default
2. Riku
3. Kairi
4. Terra
5. Aqua
6. Ven/Roxas
7. Axel
8. Vanitas
Definately makes Spirit Battles easier.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
God the KH3 spoilers are getting bad YouTube's recommended system is honestly terrible for anyone who wants to avoid spoilers.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
It's easy to avoid spoilers on your recommends when don't even watch KH videos because you hate KH YouTubers. My feed is clean as a whistle.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
ive been avoiding youtube for a while now
I ended up reporting and blocking a bunch of channels who have been posting nothing but spoilers of the game. Luckily at least the spoiler spam has gone down considerably since I did that in my recommended. UGH Square should have honestly released this game at the start of this month releasing this late into the month literally doesn't do anything for them worthwhile at least financially.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's easy to avoid spoilers on your recommends when don't even watch KH videos because you hate KH YouTubers. My feed is clean as a whistle.
my problem is watching all the trailers in the build up to the game

I ended up reporting and blocking a bunch of channels who have been posting nothing but spoilers of the game. Luckily at least the spoiler spam has gone down considerably since I did that in my recommended.
i have terrible luck with spoilers so im not gonna risk going on youtube but ill keep all that in mind for the future

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Although I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game before, I can kinda see Sora as a "HYPE!!!" character.

So add one supporter I guess...

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Looks like reviews are coming out for KH3 now they all seem to be in the 80 to 90 range for most of them so far.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
About what I expected. It would be biased to say the game would be perfection.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Just got finished playing through the entire series and I am 100% on board with Sora in Smash! He has so much moveset opportunity plus he's just a fun character to have in.

If I had to choose I'd have his alternates based on forms plus some based on other characters

Like for example:

1. Base
2. Valor
3. Wisdom
4. Master
5. Final
6. Anti
7. Riku
8. Maybe Roxas?

Or it would be cool if he had alternate costumes like Cloud where one is his current design and the other is his KH1 design with different colors representing different forms

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Keep off the internet for a few days if you're scared of spoilers guys. Somebody made a direct effort to spoil KH3 for me. Although it wasn't anything I couldn't figure out on my own, it should still serve as a warning that people WILL try to post spoilers and it CAN be anywhere, whether it's directly to you or not.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Keep off the internet for a few days if you're scared of spoilers guys. Somebody made a direct effort to spoil KH3 for me. Although it wasn't anything I couldn't figure out on my own, it should still serve as a warning that people WILL try to post spoilers and it CAN be anywhere, whether it's directly to you or not.
same thing happened to me no where is safe, dont know if it was a real spoiler or not but still

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So for anyone that knows spoilers for KH3, I only have one question I want answered.

Is Sephiroth back as a secret boss?
Nope, in fact what we got is some random creature nowhere harder or as hard than any of sephiroth fights, hell it doesn't even look as hard as the terra secret boss fight from final mix. To me it's even more disappointing considering that they left his encounter with Cloud on kh2 as a cliffhanger and we never saw them again.

Top Bottom