• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Sora is my number 1 choice after Waluigi, so I must show support.

thisguyisnotcool

Smash Cadet
Disney let Wreck it Ralph make a cameo and Fortnite and Thanos was playable earlier this year. Maybe they aren't as difficult to work with it as see assume?
Maybe they aren’t as difficult to work without as people assume

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Disney let Wreck it Ralph make a cameo and Fortnite and Thanos was playable earlier this year. Maybe they aren't as difficult to work with it as see assume?
Maybe they aren’t as difficult to work without as people assume
And considering Smash is the best and biggest crossover game as far as I know, I really can't see Sora being impossible or that hard to happen in Smash. Smash just is the perfect place, specially if they want to market the franchise even more through other platforms.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey, I’ve been wondering lately. Do you think, down the line, we could get a bona fide Disney Animation adaptation of Kingdom Hearts? I mean, they made a Marvel adaptation with Big Hero 6, so I don’t think it’s too far-fetched they’d adapt their biggest videogame property for a whole new audience.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hey, I’ve been wondering lately. Do you think, down the line, we could get a bona fide Disney Animation adaptation of Kingdom Hearts? I mean, they made a Marvel adaptation with Big Hero 6, so I don’t think it’s too far-fetched they’d adapt their biggest videogame property for a whole new audience.
that would depend on wdas and what if they see it as route they could take

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
If Sora becomes DLC, do we think he'd be one of the first or the last one in the pass revealed? I feel like they either have to start or close with him.

I'm leaning towards first since it'd be a good pairup with KH3's reveal. Also, Nomura, pls port to Switch. I'll take worse graphics, just let me play as my sweet sweet boy.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
They tried to once. As I understand it, they cancled it at Nomura's request since he believed having this story and the game's story running side-by-side would confuse their potential audience members. I think the manga went on hiatus for the same reason.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They tried to once. As I understand it, they cancled it at Nomura's request since he believed having this story and the game's story running side-by-side would confuse their potential audience members. I think the manga went on hiatus for the same reason.
Wait really? Do you have a source on that? I’d love to know about whatever info there is on this.

Man, I hate when Disney Animation cancels projects. Mort, Gigantic, and now this... it seems like everything they cancel was freaking amazing.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Wait really? Do you have a source on that? I’d love to know about whatever info there is on this.

Man, I hate when Disney Animation cancels projects. Mort, Gigantic, and now this... it seems like everything they cancel was freaking amazing.
well i dont think it was wdas who was making the kh film and as for mort they couldnt get the licence

GrimmTale

Smash Rookie
The more time passes, the more likely Sora's chance seems. This topic is getting picked up by youtubers as of late but none of them are really laying down ALL the evidence and when you do, it's a bit staggering.

One thing everyone obviously points to is that Vergeben has said a new SE rep is coming as DLC. But he took it further than that 20 days ago by stating that the first DLC character will be the SE rep.

Why is the SE rep being first important? Well lets look at...

The Timeline.
Smash Ultimate Release: December 7th - > Kingdom Hearts 3 Release: January 25th -> Estimated Piranha Plant release: February 7th* -> First DLC Announcment: probably around February 7th -> Estimated First DLC release: April 19th**

*Sakurai said Piranha Plant would release about a couple months after launch
**Sakurai said the 5 DLC characters will all be released by February 2020. So assuming they get started after Piranha Plant release, they have about 12 months to do 5 characters. 12 months / 5 characters = average of 2.4 months a character.

So, looking at the estimated timeline, what would it mean if Sora was the first DLC character?
-His announcement would likely surge KH3 initial sales
-The hype leading up to his release would keep up the momentum of the initial sales for a couple months
-The DLC release would add ANOTHER surge of KH3 sales right when the KH3 sales are probably dying down significantly

"But Nintendo gave Sakurai a list of characters to choose from. Why would they cut a deal with some other company when they can use their own IPs for free?"
-Because people LOVE, LOVE, LOVE crossovers. Why did they add Ryu? Or Cloud? If you're going to charge 5.99 for a character, a stage and music, any chance to get a good deal for a sure-fire homerunner is one worth pursuing. 5.99 for a character might not sound like much to some, but if you divide the 60 dollar price of the game by the number of characters in the base roster, that's less than a dollar a character and we're only talking about characters in that scenario. And before you say "Sakurai chose Cloud and Ryu" you're nuts if you think Nintendo lets him do whatever he wants always. They're paying a lot for this game, they definitely get their input. If they didn't want strongly didn't want Sakurai to do third party DLC, he wouldn't have been able to do it period. And I bet Cloud DLC sold the best from just how fuggin hype it was.

"Still though. SE is very protective of their IPs, and Cloud was said to have been one of the hardest bargains during development and ended up being the last character to be locked down."
-Is it totally out of the realm of possibility that Sora could have been involved in those negotiations? SE very well could have needed the money sooner than later as they have not been having a great time for awhile now. And SE could have strong armed Nintendo and said "Look, we know you're trying to get everyone back, and you need Cloud to do that. This is our price." But surely Nintendo knows SE isn't in the best position to be pushing them around. And so Nintendo could have replied "Fine, we will do you a solid this time, but when it comes to the DLC rep, you're going to do us the solid" Then SE replied "Only if it's Sora and only if we get to be first" and Nintendo said "Deal." That's obviously total speculation and an oversimplified example, but is that too far of a stretch? Idk you tell me. I honestly know very little of how these IP negotiations go in Japan but I could see it going down like that. The biggest evidence against this idea is that HMK's video was made in May of this year, only a month before Smash at E3, and Disney and SE were speaking as if none of them had talked to Nintendo about Sora yet, and Cloud was almost definitely locked in before that HMK video so that puts a pretty big red flag on this idea unfortunately. But, all that talk could have been posturing, or maybe the deal went down a little differently. The main point being that, when it comes to NEW characters SE isn't really in a position to be making demands and they outta know that getting Sora in Smash right during KH3 release would do great things for their sales.

But the community really wants Geno...QQ
-I'm QQing right with you but unfortunately Geno doesn't give Square Enix much of anything.

TL;DR
Vergeben said that the first DLC rep is from SE and that matches even better with the KH3 release and gives SE a large incentive to go through with it. Furthermore Disney and SE have stated that they are open to the idea as long as there is demand (which there is) and Nintendo has been shown to be not totally against having third-party DLC. Yes SE is very protective of their IPs especially when it came to Cloud but Sora in Smash during KH3 release is a big win for SE and they don't really have room to ask for much when it comes to new characters AND it's a guarenteed homerun for Nintendo as far as DLC choices so it's a win-win scenario. And Geno is cool and I love him and I wish he could join but his inclusion doesn't do anything for SE so you tell me why wouldn't it be Sora?

...I guess it could be a Dragon Quest rep...since Dragon Quest is on the Switch now or something...dammit.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

I got a few details wrong, but here's a video explaining the situation:
https://youtu.be/9_tQz8X0X-k
The description has links to the proper sources if you want them.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Oooooookay... So I have some really bad news. Apparently a guy by the name of PolarPanda, who has alot of trust within the Smashboards community, finished talking with Vergeben and according to him, Sora is not the SE rep that was talked about (although his name was brought up).

I dunno about you guys, but I 100% believe this. His conversation with Vergeben has been confirmed by some big names on this very site and to be honest, I've been having a nagging feeling about this being the case ever since I found out that Geno wouldn't be in the base game.

However, that's not to say that Sora ISN'T gonna be DLC. Afterall, Disney and Nomura should be free to negotiate any potential inclusion now that development for KH3 is done, and Sora's been a pretty popular candidate lately. On top of that, PolarPanda mentioned that there might be a chance for a 2nd wave of DLC, so seeing his inclusion is still far from a pipe dream.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Oooooookay... So I have some really bad news. Apparently a guy by the name of PolarPanda, who has alot of trust within the Smashboards community, finished talking with Vergeben and according to him, Sora is not the SE rep that was talked about (although his name was brought up).

I dunno about you guys, but I 100% believe this. His conversation with Vergeben has been confirmed by some big names on this very site and to be honest, I've been having a nagging feeling about this being the case ever since I found out that Geno wouldn't be in the base game.

However, that's not to say that Sora ISN'T gonna be DLC. Afterall, Disney and Nomura should be free to negotiate any potential inclusion now that development for KH3 is done, and Sora's been a pretty popular candidate lately. On top of that, PolarPanda mentioned that there might be a chance for a 2nd wave of DLC, so seeing his inclusion is still far from a pipe dream.
So that just leaves us with 2B, Erdrick, Slime, Someone from Octopath, Agnes, etc. kinda sad that Sora isn't the SE rep.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So that just leaves us with 2B, Erdrick, Slime, Someone from Octopath, Agnes, etc. kinda sad that Sora isn't the SE rep.
Actually, PolarPanda was also able to reveal the seven characters Verge had heard could be the Square rep. The characters he heard most often was Sephiroth, Crono, and DQ characters(That including Erdrick, Luminary, and Slime). The 6th character is Geno(Who he was told to not take to seriously, but the general fan community determined that there was a lot of bias being thrown around there). And the last character was Sora, who was told to him the context of him being a character not in the game. In case you want to see this, it's on page 360 of the Geno thread.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Sora would be more of a Disney rep, not SE. Don't know why this has to be reminded over and over again… I wouldn't lose hope for him just yet

GhostYB

Smash Apprentice
IM PRAYING FOR SORA
ive wanted him ever since cloud got announced

so what if he isnt the SE rep vergeben mentioned (it'll probably end up being geno or chrono) that doesnt mean he doesnt have a chance. he'll probably end up being the last fighter revealed only cause i can see them ending it with a 3rd party.

Last edited:

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
I wish the Nintendo Ninjas would do something about Verge... Although I guess I only feel that way because he keeps confirming things I don't wanna hear.

Frankly, if Sora isn't an early reveal to tie in with KH3, I don't think he's coming... Not unless KH3 comes to the Switch, which I'm not sure will happen...

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I wish the Nintendo Ninjas would do something about Verge... Although I guess I only feel that way because he keeps confirming things I don't wanna hear.

Frankly, if Sora isn't an early reveal to tie in with KH3, I don't think he's coming... Not unless KH3 comes to the Switch, which I'm not sure will happen...
Why KH3 tho? We could start getting 1.5 and 2.5 first while they sell KH3 on its main platforms first, then eventually we could probably get KH3 on switch.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
The actual list which lines up with Vergeben saying there are 7 names being thrown around. Also keep in mind he's known about Pirahna Plant as well.

-Sephiroth
-Chrono
-Erdrick
-Luminary
-Slime
-Geno
-Sora

At this point dragon quest characters (Erdrick, Luminary, or Slime) or Chrono from CT is pretty likely

Dragon Quest being on switch while CT being a classic legacy game for the SNES. I can't see Sephiroth because FF is already an existing franchise in smash, it's better if all 5 spots in the pass are fighters in new franchises.

I've already comes to terms that Sora won't be in the fighters pass, but would have a little hope if a wave 2 is in the works.

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
Why KH3 tho? We could start getting 1.5 and 2.5 first while they sell KH3 on its main platforms first, then eventually we could probably get KH3 on switch.
Well, if we get any of those collections on the Switch, I think the assumption will be KH3 is coming, too ^^;

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
hmm, if Sakurai approved Nintendo choices for DLC I wonder if some if not all of these 7 could have been on a list Nintendo had for him to choose from for a Square rep. Honestly kind of surprised if both the rumors about Square DLC and Square being difficult to work with are true especially if Sora is the pick. IDK how things like this work but adding a 3rd company to the mix seems like even more of a nightmare even if the other company is fine to deal with. I do hope I am wrong since I think Sora would be the best next Square rep but thought I would still voice my concern.

In general also kind of curious if Cloud was part some sort of package deal Square wanted for something like more money or a specific wanted promotion or good publicity or maybe Cloud was just added so late that the details got twisted into these rumors. We would probably never get these kinds of details but I am still curious, just sounds like an interesting deal if, once again, all these rumors are true.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
hmm, if Sakurai approved Nintendo choices for DLC I wonder if some if not all of these 7 could have been on a list Nintendo had for him to choose from for a Square rep. Honestly kind of surprised if both the rumors about Square DLC and Square being difficult to work with are true especially if Sora is the pick. IDK how things like this work but adding a 3rd company to the mix seems like even more of a nightmare even if the other company is fine to deal with. I do hope I am wrong since I think Sora would be the best next Square rep but thought I would still voice my concern.

In general also kind of curious if Cloud was part some sort of package deal Square wanted for something like more money or a specific wanted promotion or good publicity or maybe Cloud was just added so late that the details got twisted into these rumors. We would probably never get these kinds of details but I am still curious, just sounds like an interesting deal if, once again, all these rumors are true.
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I really wanted to Sora get this sort of character trailer so I made one...err two

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Hello its my first time at the Sora support thread, Sora is my number one choice for 2nd Square rep. So I hope it does come true. Also KH3 is around the corner can't wait to play the game iv been waiting years for.

Mewtader

Smash Cadet
So what do you guys think the reaction to the crowd will be like if Sora is announced at the VGA's?

timbo8

Smash Cadet
if he get annneced at the vga rip that place and whole internt in face if sora a dlc he bring a ton of money and the switch sell will very high

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Internet broken but any fan of another SE character weeps.
Eehh....they'll live. It's a cycle for them at this point. I won't feel that much for them, I've always been meh neutral on you-know-who. I will feel for the Dragon Quest fans though, because I'm one myself and I always loved the idea of either DQ or KIngdom Hearts being represented in Smash, alongside with Cloud. Also, first time on here, I've been lurking around here for months, Sora and Erdrick are my most wanted for a Square Enix character, and I always thought either of those guys would be more appopriate for a second Square character. Put me down as a supporter, please! :)

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
It's been rumored somewhere along the general discussion/Geno thread that the SE negotiations was assumed that Sora and possibly Dragon Quest didn't go through. If this is actually true, then managing out all these licenses might have actually been a legit argument against both of these characters.

Geno, Sephiroth, and Crono might have been the most likely picks after all.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
It's been rumored somewhere along the general discussion/Geno thread that the SE negotiations was assumed that Sora and possibly Dragon Quest didn't go through. If this is actually true, then managing out all these licenses might have actually been a legit argument against both of these characters.

Yeah, but they are also now saying that some of that stuff may have been unverifyed info to track any leakers, and to not take seriously. So, we're suppose to believe all of that negotiation specualtion, especially from that thread because....

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

That’s just hearsay though. I get that the leaker may have credible credentials, but to my knowledge there’s no track record and the story just feels implausible to me, so I don’t see a reason to buy it.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226

timbo8

Smash Cadet
even though we wont kh3 stuff we could get something pothinal related to kh there

Top Bottom