• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Now I am questioning Sora's chances now.

If DLC was decided during 2015, that would be at a time when Disney was occupied with the development of KH3.

And in the HMK Sora rights video, it was said by a Disney of Japan executive that they were currently prioritizing KH3 development at the time of 2015 to deal with other business matters.

He might not be a playable fighter in the Fighters Pass at all. :(

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
Now I am questioning Sora's chances now.

If DLC was decided during 2015, that would be at a time when Disney was occupied with the development of KH3.

And in the HMK Sora rights video, it was said by a Disney of Japan executive that they were currently prioritizing KH3 development at the time of 2015 to deal with other business matters.

He might not be a playable fighter in the Fighters Pass at all. :(
But that was for the base roster, who knows when DLC was finalized?

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
Sakurai said DLC was finalized in 2015 in the Rex Mii costume segment.
Right, I missed that. Either way, I don’t think that deconfirms Sora. I think Sora is almost guaranteed. Vergeben has heard that a Square rep is still coming and I believe him. It may turn out to be fake, but I’m willing to bet it’s real.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I really hope Disney managed to negotiate with good terms with Sakurai about Sora back in 2015.

I hope Disney didn't skip this opportunity back in 2015.

I am quite uncertain right now TBH because I feel only Sora or Geno can get in as DLC and not both with the selection being very limited.

I really want both to be in, and I feel the opportunity of that happening has been lost with Geno not being playable in the base game.

I am just crossing my fingers at this point, even with Verge giving me some hope.

Last edited:

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
Dlc has not beeen finalized what so ever. Sakuri said that they haven’t begun work on dlc and aren’t going to do so until the base game is finalized. Besides Sora is square’s character so I bet Nintendo probaly reaches some deal with square to include a character in the dlc and I am willing to guess that it is gonna Sora. Kingdom hearts 3 comes out in January 2019 which will attract a lot of people to the game and could direct traffic to smash bros because of the relevance of kingdom hearts 3 to smash which would be an overall good marketing strategy for both companies. I personally think we will see Sora in smash and hopefully I am right

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
iirc Sakurai said planning for DLC started before the announcement of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which was announced around 2017. This means we know around that time was when planning was already underway. Was there anything Sakurai said that planning for DLC was already done in 2015?

FWIW, Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced in 2013 and got real gameplay footage in 2015. By then there should have been some development on the game already for Sakurai to have knowledge on what to use.

I will go out to say that there has to be some kind of Nintendo Direct or some other smash related DLC announcements made between now until the end of January. If Sora is not shown in any of these by then, I don't think he has a chance for DLC.

Last edited:

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me, or does World of Light give me Kingdom Hearts vibes?

- Theme song that can fit for both opening and credits (x)
- "Light" as a recurring theme. "Spirits" as a theme has nothing to do with KH though.
- Fallen fighters with red eyes and possessed by spirits besides Kirby reminds me of two things: DBFZ story mode where you're against the clones (both have red eyes) and an empty shell like a Nobody forming from a fallen fighter and being possessed by a spirit much like Xehanort takes over your body.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
FWIW, Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced in 2013 and got real gameplay footage in 2015. By then there should have been some development on the game already for Sakurai to have knowledge on what to use.

I will go out to say that there has to be some kind of Nintendo Direct or some other smash related DLC announcements made between now until the end of January. If Sora is not shown in any of these by then, I don't think he has a chance for DLC.
Okay, so I've been having some doubts about Sora's chances recently too, but couldn't figure out why. It's probably because of Shantae and Geno being relegated to image fodder despite their demand , or maybe it's some other reason.
Well anyway, that's just where my mindset is right now. After reading your thoughts on the matter though, I've got to say that your scenario doesn't make sense. Disney has gone on record stating that they want to focus all of their time and effort on the release of KH3 before focusing on anything else in relation to Kingdom Hearts. Since that's at the end of January, your window is poorly placed. I'd give it between the January release date to E3 at the earliest or E3 to the following direct. At least during that time, you could safely say that they had the time to work on Sora as a fighter.

D

Deleted member

Uhhhhhhh......sora4smashdlc?

Count me in the support list plz

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
Okay, so I've been having some doubts about Sora's chances recently too, but couldn't figure out why. It's probably because of Shantae and Geno being relegated to image fodder despite their demand , or maybe it's some other reason.
Well anyway, that's just where my mindset is right now. After reading your thoughts on the matter though, I've got to say that your scenario doesn't make sense. Disney has gone on record stating that they want to focus all of their time and effort on the release of KH3 before focusing on anything else in relation to Kingdom Hearts. Since that's at the end of January, your window is poorly placed. I'd give it between the January release date to E3 at the earliest or E3 to the following direct. At least during that time, you could safely say that they had the time to work on Sora as a fighter.
On the flip side of your comment about Disney, it’s not them handling the development of Sora in Smash. When making Cloud in Wii U/3DS, Nomura gave Sakurai free rein to do anything with his moveset, Nomura barely had anything to do with it. It would be the same case if Sora was being developed.

Vesios

Smash Rookie
I had thought that too, but upon closer inspection realized it's probably just the BoTW icon.

I originally thought the color scheme matched the nobodies' and the sigil looked damn close, but also drew parallels to the BoTW icon (mainly how the bottom sticks out a bit more like the sword does, and the middle looks obscured by the Z). But hey! You never know!

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I had thought that too, but upon closer inspection realized it's probably just the BoTW icon.

I originally thought the color scheme matched the nobodies' and the sigil looked damn close, but also drew parallels to the BoTW icon (mainly how the bottom sticks out a bit more like the sword does, and the middle looks obscured by the Z). But hey! You never know!

Okaaaaaay but why would that be on a dice-themed lamp

Graizen

Smash Champion
Yo guys , made something for my DLC choices!
Hope you guys like it!

DLC.jpg

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Soooo, if we want to believe the rumors about the first DLC we have:

- first DLC will probably be a Square-Enix character
- will be announced at 2018 Game Awards
- its a character from a series that will win (or at least, be nominated) his category

Looking at categories, who could fit? KHIII for most anticipated game and Dragon Quest for best RPG, am I missing someone else?

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731

- its a character from a series that will win (or at least, be nominated) his category

Looking at categories, who could fit? KHIII for most anticipated game and Dragon Quest for best RPG, am I missing someone else?
Where have you heard about the character being the winner of the category?

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Where have you heard about the character being the winner of the category?
LeakyPandy tweeted this back in september.

Everyone ignored them since they are LeakyPandy, especially because they were adamant about Skull Kid not being playable while everyone else was sold on Chair Theory (and then Box Theory just popped up).

But still, they were the first who claimed the DLC would be announced at VGA, thus soft-confirming Box Theory, back when everyone thought that "there can't be only two newcomers left, you're silly to even think that".

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sup Sora supporters. Decided to drop in and wish you guys luck in your boi possibility making DLC. Keep an eye out on the VGA as he might possibility be revealed to commemorate Kingdom Hearts III. ;)

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
LeakyPandy tweeted this back in september.

Everyone ignored them since they are LeakyPandy, especially because they were adamant about Skull Kid not being playable while everyone else was sold on Chair Theory (and then Box Theory just popped up).

But still, they were the first who claimed the DLC would be announced at VGA, thus soft-confirming Box Theory, back when everyone thought that "there can't be only two newcomers left, you're silly to even think that".
I see. I don’t know what the consensus is on LeakyPandy and their credibility. That does seem to lend itself to the idea of a Dragon Quest character, however it doesn’t eliminate the possibility of Sora. I’ll definitely keep my eye out during the VGA’s. Does anyone know if it’ll be available to view online? Will it be streamed anywhere?

Edit: You can watch it here: https://thegameawards.com/how-to-watch/

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Put me down as a supporter of this thread. Sora is also my most requested new fighter.

And before anybody says anything, even though Disney owns the rights to the characters, they tend to be extremely lax in how Square handles them. They recognize that they were created by Square Enix and not in-house by the Mouse machine. So while legally they have some stake in the Kingdom Hearts franchise, they have so much confidence in the third party developer that they practically don't own it. The most they have as far as say goes is in whether or not certain properties are going to be possible or not.

In other words, Kingdom Hearts as a whole has joint ownership, with Disney leaving the vast majority of the original content in the hands of Square Enix.

Besides, Disney's been outright enthusiastic about Sora making it into Smash, and so is one of the co-directors. From what I've heard, Tetsuya Nomura even offered a more recent character as a possible suggestion over Cloud, only for Sakurai to assert his desire to add Cloud in. Maybe that recent character was Sora (Noctis' game wasn't even out yet).

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

You're missing Lara Croft. I think her game came out this year too.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
I posted this in the Geno thread and originally spotted it on GameFAQs-

s-l400.jpg

The bottom-left strictly mentions "©Disney". There is absolutely no mention of Square-Enix whatsoever on the packaging.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
You're missing Lara Croft. I think her game came out this year too.
I think I missed Just Cause 4 and Octopath Traveler, so apparently we have:

- Sora from KHIII as most anticipated game of 2019
- Dragon Quest rep, from Dragon Quest XI as best RPG
- Octopath Traveler rep from Octopath Traveler as best RPG too
- Lara from Shadow of Tomb Raider as best action adventure
- Rico from Just Cause 4, as best action adventure (it comes out 4 December, so technically is elegible; of course I doubt the game can win an award in 2 days)

Those are the main contenders for this year VGA, unless I missed someone again. Noctis and 2B are out, since they already got nominated/won in 2017 VGA (and they are in other fighting games, I doubt they will appear in Smash too), Geno of course won't have any presence at all for the awards, and probably neither Rico.
We're then left with Sora, Dragon Quest rep (be Erdrick, Slime, or someone else), Octopath Traveler and Lara. Basically everyone of them fit Smash and LeakyPandy statement...
Sora cleary did better than the others in the ballot, and will be the hypest.
Dragon Quest is pretty big in Japan, and people asked for Goku. Erdrick could be the best next thing in that "style".
Octopath Traveler was critically acclaimed.
Lara is an icon of gaming, and with the new game involving less realistic weaponry she could be an interesting fighter.

On top of that, I firmly remember another tweet about this first DLC character, specifically it said to not think "too Nintendo centric". That could rule Octopath Traveler out, so we're left with the three others. As a personal note, I might add that this first DLC character is tasked to sell the whole package, because if people see the first character of the pass is a literal who they might not be interested, while if he is a crazy addition to the roster they might get hyped up and instantly buy the pass (hoping the other character will be on the same level).

That said I hope is actually Sora, but is likely gonna be a Dragon Quest rep (especially if we consider LeakyPandy statement). But since I'm always wrong, is gonna be Lara... XD

I see. I don’t know what the consensus is on LeakyPandy and their credibility. That does seem to lend itself to the idea of a Dragon Quest character, however it doesn’t eliminate the possibility of Sora. I’ll definitely keep my eye out during the VGA’s. Does anyone know if it’ll be available to view online? Will it be streamed anywhere?

Edit: You can watch it here: https://thegameawards.com/how-to-watch/
LeakyPandy had a very bad track record, but they rebranded. Up until the direct I barely considered them, but in hindsight they got many thing right in the last months, such as:
- Skull Kid not being playable (when EVERYONE considered him a shoo-in; thanks loz18...)
- claimed the first DLC character will be third party and presented at VGA (when everyone banked on Mewtwo style reveal on the last direct)
- strongly implied the box theory was right
The last one is very important, because everyone trashed them because of that. Guess who was right in the end? And I might add, when the download card came out they tweeted this. So, while their credibility might not equate Vergeben's (at least for Smash), they cleary are more reliable than, say...a blurry leak with 7 character that includes 4 third parties...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think I missed Just Cause 4 and Octopath Traveler, so apparently we have:

- Sora from KHIII as most anticipated game of 2019
- Dragon Quest rep, from Dragon Quest XI as best RPG
- Octopath Traveler rep from Octopath Traveler as best RPG too
- Lara from Shadow of Tomb Raider as best action adventure
- Rico from Just Cause 4, as best action adventure (it comes out 4 December, so technically is elegible; of course I doubt the game can win an award in 2 days)

Those are the main contenders for this year VGA, unless I missed someone again. Noctis and 2B are out, since they already got nominated/won in 2017 VGA (and they are in other fighting games, I doubt they will appear in Smash too), Geno of course won't have any presence at all for the awards, and probably neither Rico.
We're then left with Sora, Dragon Quest rep (be Erdrick, Slime, or someone else), Octopath Traveler and Lara. Basically everyone of them fit Smash and LeakyPandy statement...
Sora cleary did better than the others in the ballot, and will be the hypest.
Dragon Quest is pretty big in Japan, and people asked for Goku. Erdrick could be the best next thing in that "style".
Octopath Traveler was critically acclaimed.
Lara is an icon of gaming, and with the new game involving less realistic weaponry she could be an interesting fighter.

On top of that, I firmly remember another tweet about this first DLC character, specifically it said to not think "too Nintendo centric". That could rule Octopath Traveler out, so we're left with the three others. As a personal note, I might add that this first DLC character is tasked to sell the whole package, because if people see the first character of the pass is a literal who they might not be interested, while if he is a crazy addition to the roster they might get hyped up and instantly buy the pass (hoping the other character will be on the same level).

That said I hope is actually Sora, but is likely gonna be a Dragon Quest rep (especially if we consider LeakyPandy statement). But since I'm always wrong, is gonna be Lara... XD

LeakyPandy had a very bad track record, but they rebranded. Up until the direct I barely considered them, but in hindsight they got many thing right in the last months, such as:
- Skull Kid not being playable (when EVERYONE considered him a shoo-in; thanks loz18...)
- claimed the first DLC character will be third party and presented at VGA (when everyone banked on Mewtwo style reveal on the last direct)
- strongly implied the box theory was right
The last one is very important, because everyone trashed them because of that. Guess who was right in the end? And I might add, when the download card came out they tweeted this. So, while their credibility might not equate Vergeben's (at least for Smash), they cleary are more reliable than, say...a blurry leak with 7 character that includes 4 third parties...
Could also be Neku from The World Ends With You. The remake came out last month if I remember correctly.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Could also be Neku from The World Ends With You. The remake came out last month if I remember correctly.
It came out last month, but only the Switch port. I doubt it will be elegible for VGA 2018, but Neku would be pretty rad.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
Sora seems more likely than ever to me after his absence in both Spirits and as an assist trophy. By the way Sakurai worded it, DLC is already planned but not made, so I'm pretty sure they have the last five DLC already planned. It'd also make sense if they were to delay Sora to keep him true to his Kingdom Hearts III iteration (they'll be done with Piranha Plant in January, right when KH3 releases and Sakurai can get source material). Can't wait to see who they are!

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Here's an idea for a Final Smash coming from Sora. A lot of people are probably thinking something like Ragnarok or Trinity Limit. But I think if he were to get in, his Final Smash would be his iconic Keyhole-sealing technique, since that's his most recognizable stance in the series by far.

How it would work; he gets close to an opponent, lifts his Keyblade up with both hands, and locks said opponent inside of a Keyhole. He then takes a backward leap, and with one hand, he seals the Keyhole away, launching whatever opponents were caught inside away.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
DLC selection has been finalized by Nintendo and will be quality checked by Sakurai based on their decision
i think the idea of a Fire Emblem Three Houses character is pretty likely. Frankly, I have personal doubts that nintendo did not choose Sora. Any thoughts on this?

Top Bottom