• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For every one fan rule broken 3 more are created that's why
So, some folks in the fanbase are actually from HYDRA, then.

(I mean, Disney owns Marvel, so I had to do this joke)
In all seriousness though, even if licensed characters are a factor or not, Sora will probably be tough to include into Smash regardless. :ulthero: is the simplest SE character to include so far, and they had to negotiate with five companies/creators, and even then they could only afford Midi tunes for their soundtrack. :ultcloud: basically had to get a package deal with :ultsephiroth: to have any decent amount of content at all.

Meanwhile, Hashimoto had flat out said "no" about Sora being planned for Ultimate to a French interviewer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KingdomHea...ji_hashimoto_states_that_sora_is_not_planned/

Yet he still deleted the tweet that he used as a response to a fan render a while back:

https://twitter.com/tahk0/status/1042920948570046464

Is he under NDA, or not wanting to raise fans' hopes?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's a theory that FFVII content was held back for Sephiroth, and I think we had a rumor too at best. It's not confirmed in the slightest. It's not a bad theory, mind you. If Sephiroth was planned to be in, but they couldn't, but that also means Sephiroth was going to be playable as DLC at some point very early on or that he was meant for base(along with Steve) and then both became DLC characters intended before Fighter's Pass 2 was greenlit. We still have the rumor that Steve was discussed five years back for possibly being in.

Besides, a lot of times companies don't release background information unless it's positive. Any company that they weren't able to work with could be presented as "stingy" or anything that could make them look bad. What does that mean? It means other companies might not work with them or it could affect sales and such. So common business sense is to watch what you say. It doesn't stop various people from reporting bad stuff either, but yeah.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
It's a theory that FFVII content was held back for Sephiroth, and I think we had a rumor too at best. It's not confirmed in the slightest. It's not a bad theory, mind you. If Sephiroth was planned to be in, but they couldn't, but that also means Sephiroth was going to be playable as DLC at some point very early on or that he was meant for base(along with Steve) and then both became DLC characters intended before Fighter's Pass 2 was greenlit. We still have the rumor that Steve was discussed five years back for possibly being in.

Besides, a lot of times companies don't release background information unless it's positive. Any company that they weren't able to work with could be presented as "stingy" or anything that could make them look bad. What does that mean? It means other companies might not work with them or it could affect sales and such. So common business sense is to watch what you say. It doesn't stop various people from reporting bad stuff either, but yeah.
It makes some sense and based on what Sakurai said there is some truth to it, because Square wanted Cloud to be DLC which is likely why the content problem wasn't remedied. But if this was true then we almost certainly would have got Sephiroth in the first pass.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It makes some sense and based on what Sakurai said there is some truth to it, because Square wanted Cloud to be DLC which is likely why the content problem wasn't remedied. But if this was true then we almost certainly would have got Sephiroth in the first pass.
Can somebody cite this particular bit? That Square wanted Cloud to still be DLC?

And this is keeping in mind DLC was not planned from Ultimate's start. That was something that came around 2017. So about halfway through production .If the rumor is true, then Sakurai said no from the start to the idea because DLC wasn't intended to happen. Which makes sense. Square wanted more money overall, and Cloud couldn't provide it. They would've negotiated for the extra base content like Spirits and the online icons. Though to be fair, online play was probably intended before DLC, since it was already a thing in three previous Smash games.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

the steve thing came from one of the people who make minecraft its not a rumour

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
the steve thing came from one of the people who make minecraft its not a rumour
Ah. Well, that makes sense. The question is if Sephiroth was the other character intended for the final DLC or not. Cause the way it would've been, I'm guessing they would be Bonus, so without music/stages/spirits. And I can't imagine either two being that. Maybe they were bonus challenger packs, not just characters, at one point? Sephiroth I could almost believe as that, but that entirely depends upon a rumor. As it's the only thing that suggests he'd have come with extra content, not be a bonus DLC.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ah. Well, that makes sense. The question is if Sephiroth was the other character intended for the final DLC or not. Cause the way it would've been, I'm guessing they would be Bonus, so without music/stages/spirits. And I can't imagine either two being that. Maybe they were bonus challenger packs, not just characters, at one point? Sephiroth I could almost believe as that, but that entirely depends upon a rumor. As it's the only thing that suggests he'd have come with extra content, not be a bonus DLC.
that is a good question, we may never be sure. or sakurai will tell a tiny bit in a column and we’ll spend forever trying to work out what he meant

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
In all seriousness though, even if licensed characters are a factor or not, Sora will probably be tough to include into Smash regardless. :ulthero: is the simplest SE character to include so far, and they had to negotiate with five companies/creators, and even then they could only afford Midi tunes for their soundtrack. :ultcloud: basically had to get a package deal with :ultsephiroth: to have any decent amount of content at all.

Meanwhile, Hashimoto had flat out said "no" about Sora being planned for Ultimate to a French interviewer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KingdomHea...ji_hashimoto_states_that_sora_is_not_planned/

Yet he still deleted the tweet that he used as a response to a fan render a while back:

https://twitter.com/tahk0/status/1042920948570046464

Is he under NDA, or not wanting to raise fans' hopes?
As a Sora supporter, ofcourse I'd say "yes" to the NDA bit. But in a more objective sense, it's hard to say when you consider all the info we have on hand. Either way, the second Fighters pass was finalized in November of 2019, the tweet referenced in that Reddit thread was posted back in May of that same year, so as of right now, it's safe to argue that Hashimoto's deconfirmation is outdated at the very least (assuming he wasn't lying to begin with).

With all that being said, I don't think anybody here thinks Sora's rights would be easy to obtain, but that's not really something to concern ourselves with when that's an argument you could use against most 3rd party characters in the roster. The most difficult amongst them being :ultsteve:. We barely even know the circumstances for the FF7 content we received outside of the fact that Nintendo had to go through several different companies to get it. An issue far removed from Sora because Nintendo only has to go through 2. At most. And both seem to already be on good terms with the company considering the support shown for the Switch, SEs content being promoted in Smash, and the collaborations Disney had with Nintendo.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
With all that being said, I don't think anybody here thinks Sora's rights would be easy to obtain, but that's not really something to concern ourselves with when that's an argument you could use against most 3rd party characters in the roster. The most difficult amongst them being :ultsteve:. We barely even know the circumstances for the FF7 content we received outside of the fact that Nintendo had to go through several different companies to get it. An issue far removed from Sora because Nintendo only has to go through 2. At most. And both seem to already be on good terms with the company considering the support shown for the Switch, SEs content being promoted in Smash, and the collaborations Disney had with Nintendo.
PREACH!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Another possibility is that after the whole Hero leak incident, SE representatives were instructed to be really careful when talking about any character of theirs, on the off-chance that they might be considered and negotiated for Smash.

And seeing as we're talking about Shinji "loose lips" Hashimoto, that's a distinct possibility.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Another possibility is that after the whole Hero leak incident, SE representatives were instructed to be really careful when talking about any character of theirs, on the off-chance that they might be considered and negotiated for Smash.

And seeing as we're talking about Shinji "loose lips" Hashimoto, that's a distinct possibility.
speaking of leaks doesnt the minecraft ones sort of disprove the idea that sephiroth was meant for the base game? i mean the guy was adamant that we were getting minecraft stuff so their source must have known about the on going negotiations, so shouldnt they have also known about these supposed sephiroth talks?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
speaking of leaks doesnt the minecraft ones sort of disprove the idea that sephiroth was meant for the base game? i mean the guy was adamant that we were getting minecraft stuff so their source must have known about the on going negotiations, so shouldnt they have also known about these supposed sephiroth talks?
Vergeben isn't exactly consistent, yeah. Anything involving DLC is unlikely to be accurately uncovered by his sources.

As for me, I was simply saying earlier that FF7's stuff in general has complex negotiations that took a while to sort out (seeing as Uematsu's not in the company often anymore).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Vergeben isn't exactly consistent, yeah. Anything involving DLC is unlikely to be accurately uncovered by his sources.

As for me, I was simply saying earlier that FF7's stuff in general has complex negotiations that took a while to sort out (seeing as Uematsu's not in the company often anymore).
do you mean 8? Cause I’m not sure uematsu worked on minecraft

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Ah crud, I missed it...

I've gotta ask, why do people insist on using this as if it's a genuine argument? I mean, honestly, even ignoring the fact that Sora's a Disney character himself or ignoring that the Kingdom Key actually addressing this issue, why is this such a fixation? He's made cameos in other games without other Disney characters (unless you count Riku) with little issue from Disney AND fans, we all know Sakurai has expressed not wanting to put in non gaming characters into the game, and to top it all off Kingdom Hearts has enough of its own identity to represent itself without the use of characters like Mickey, Donald, Goofy, ect.

Every time I see or hear this argument, I can't help but think that it's just an arbitrary excuse people use just so they can say that Sora isn't happening. It doesn't help that I never get an answer when I bring this stuff up with anybody. So I'll ask you, Why? What makes you think the kind of characters that Sakurai doesn't want in smash bros. are needed in order to properly represent Kingdom Hearts? Why they're needed here when they weren't ever needed any other time Sora made a cameo appearance. And why the likes of Riku, Kairi, Or the Organization aren't enough to properly represent the series they were created in?
If I have to play devil's advocate, with how people view Smash as a celebration of gaming and the games with characters in it, as well as speculation historically being so focused on getting reps moreso than characters, it's possible people feel KH in Smash needs the Disney content. That's different to what they might see as just a cameo in a FF game, as opposed to "representation" in a Smash game.

Not that I agree with that, I'm just trying to rationalise and understand what gets said.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
If I have to play devil's advocate, with how people view Smash as a celebration of gaming and the games with characters in it, as well as speculation historically being so focused on getting reps moreso than characters, it's possible people feel KH in Smash needs the Disney content. That's different to what they might see as just a cameo in a FF game, as opposed to "representation" in a Smash game.

Not that I agree with that, I'm just trying to rationalise and understand what gets said.
I don't think that's it. That would also imply that they believe characters like Goofy and Donald are gaming characters first and foremost and should be celebrated as such, which isn't the case.
Well, that's assuming I'm reading your comment correctly. I'm afraid to admit it, but I had a hard time comprehending what you were trying to say.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I don't think that's it. That would also imply that they believe characters like Goofy and Donald are gaming characters first and foremost and should be celebrated as such, which isn't the case.
Well, that's assuming I'm reading your comment correctly. I'm afraid to admit it, but I had a hard time comprehending what you were trying to say.
No, it wouldn't necessarily imply that. What I'm saying is there could be a perceived difference in what's necessary to come with Sora in FF appearances and Smash. Smash characters tend to come with an array of content from their game/series to the point that people have seen them as reps. People ask for reps from a series to reflect what the series is about and bring some of its content over. If some people feel that to effectively rep KH you would need some Disney content, then they could feel that is a barrier to his inclusion.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, it wouldn't necessarily imply that. What I'm saying is there could be a perceived difference in what's necessary to come with Sora in FF appearances and Smash. Smash characters tend to come with an array of content from their game/series to the point that people have seen them as reps. People ask for reps from a series to reflect what the series is about and bring some of its content over. If some people feel that to effectively rep KH you would need some Disney content, then they could feel that is a barrier to his inclusion.
yeah but its what sakurai thinks that matters not what the fans feel

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
yeah but its what sakurai thinks that matters not what the fans feel
Ultimately, yes but if we reduced all discussion to that there'd be no point talking speculation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A random thing I madeView attachment 300614
Do you think there's a chance that this might actually happen in the future?
Probably, yeah, seeing as FFVIII managed to get a remaster despite the source code for the original having allegedly been lost.

Although a remake would make it a little likelier, I think (after VII's is eventually completed).

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Two years already....I remember the wait feeling like forever and my hype increasing back in 2018, when the game entered its full marketing phase.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Two years already....I remember the wait feeling like forever and my hype increasing back in 2018, when the game entered its full marketing phase.
ah memories

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It's so weird to me that this game was revealed the same year as Smash 4's first reveal, and then released only a month after Smash Ultimate's release. We technically went through TWO Smash hype cycles in between this game's reveal and release.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I wouldn't say I fondly remember cooking lol but otherwise it was another fantastic entry in the series.

Completed 5 of the data battles on my critical mode playthrough. Aside from possibly getting my ass handed to me its nice knowing I timed the replay well.

Top Bottom