• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I feel like all the info about Sora being disconfirmed is a bunch of bs
How do these people know that he was expensive? To me that sounds like it's way too excessive info ESPECIALLY for an insider. Like why would an insider know these stuff? Surely then if they know that many details they must also know about the other characters in the pass, right?
Nah I ain't believing any of that
Now that I think about it, there’s no way Sora is even remotely as expensive as Cloud freaking Strife, much less something that makes the latter look like chump change.

Papa Pope

Smash Cadet
Now that I think about it, there’s no way Sora is even remotely as expensive as Cloud freaking Strife, much less something that makes the latter look like chump change.
Plus, if you think about it, if it was the case that Disney overcharges for characters, then how the hell did SEGA get Ralph in Sonic Racing Transformed, or how did Fortnite get Thanos, even before it was that big. If those characters can get into those games, I have a hard time believing that Disney would overcharge Nintendo to get Sora into Smash, because whether we like it or not, things like Marvel and Thanos will always be bigger than Kingdom Hearts and Sora, by a long shot. But, in the end, we can't know for sure, in the end what we value Sora at price wise doesn't matter, all that matters is what the Mouse says and if he wants to keep Sora under lock and key, he'll keep em there. All we can really do is hope and speculate, no different from any other potential character.

One last thing that I did think about though is that Smash undoubtedly has Disney's attention, they've broadcasted tournaments on Disney XD and they are definitely aware of the demand for Sora, I mean his name trends on Twitter at the mere announcement of any Smash reveal. Plus, now that the Minecraft announcement LITERALLY BROKE TWITTER, I don't think the argument could be made that Disney doesn't see money to be made with this deal. If Smash didn't have everyone's attention before, breaking Twitter certainly put a huge spotlight on it. My theory is that if Disney really did overcharge for Sora, maybe after seeing such a huge reaction that caused Twitter to implode, only for the second time in its history I believe, they see more of an opportunity and are. ore willing to play ball. After all, they did say they want to further dip into the video game market by letting other developers handle their properties and what better way to do that than to have Sora cement his status as a gaming icon by joining Smash.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Plus, if you think about it, if it was the case that Disney overcharges for characters, then how the hell did SEGA get Ralph in Sonic Racing Transformed, or how did Fortnite get Thanos, even before it was that big.
Cross-promotion? Wreck-It Ralph is a Disney movie that features Sonic, Eggman, and other Sonic characters in relatively major roles compared to the other cameos, while Avengers Endgame used Fortnite for product placement. (The scene where Thor threatens Noobmaster) It seems like a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" kind of situation. (Even Nintendo got something for the Wreck-It Ralph cameos, it seems, seeing as the Wreck-It Ralph tie-in games were exclusive to Nintendo systems)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Cross-promotion? Wreck-It Ralph is a Disney movie that features Sonic, Eggman, and other Sonic characters in relatively major roles compared to the other cameos, while Avengers Endgame used Fortnite for product placement. (The scene where Thor threatens Noobmaster) It seems like a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" kind of situation. (Even Nintendo got something for the Wreck-It Ralph cameos, it seems, seeing as the Wreck-It Ralph tie-in games were exclusive to Nintendo systems)
maybe thats how we got disney art academy

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Plus, if you think about it, if it was the case that Disney overcharges for characters, then how the hell did SEGA get Ralph in Sonic Racing Transformed, or how did Fortnite get Thanos, even before it was that big. If those characters can get into those games, I have a hard time believing that Disney would overcharge Nintendo to get Sora into Smash, because whether we like it or not, things like Marvel and Thanos will always be bigger than Kingdom Hearts and Sora, by a long shot. But, in the end, we can't know for sure, in the end what we value Sora at price wise doesn't matter, all that matters is what the Mouse says and if he wants to keep Sora under lock and key, he'll keep em there. All we can really do is hope and speculate, no different from any other potential character.

One last thing that I did think about though is that Smash undoubtedly has Disney's attention, they've broadcasted tournaments on Disney XD and they are definitely aware of the demand for Sora, I mean his name trends on Twitter at the mere announcement of any Smash reveal. Plus, now that the Minecraft announcement LITERALLY BROKE TWITTER, I don't think the argument could be made that Disney doesn't see money to be made with this deal. If Smash didn't have everyone's attention before, breaking Twitter certainly put a huge spotlight on it. My theory is that if Disney really did overcharge for Sora, maybe after seeing such a huge reaction that caused Twitter to implode, only for the second time in its history I believe, they see more of an opportunity and are. ore willing to play ball. After all, they did say they want to further dip into the video game market by letting other developers handle their properties and what better way to do that than to have Sora cement his status as a gaming icon by joining Smash.
Epic Games, the company behind Fortnite, is so large that they could probably pay whatever Disney asked. They're the creators of the Unreal Engine, you know, the game engine that just about every major AAA game is built on. They're even attempting to take on Steam and Valve with the Epic Games Store (poorly, but that's another issue entirely). They've got plenty of money to throw around, and they do as demonstrated by the number Epic Games Store exclusivity deals they've made. All that really tells is that Disney responds to profit.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Epic Games, the company behind Fortnite, is so large that they could probably pay whatever Disney asked. They're the creators of the Unreal Engine, you know, the game engine that just about every major AAA game is built on. They're even attempting to take on Steam and Valve with the Epic Games Store (poorly, but that's another issue entirely). They've got plenty of money to throw around, and they do as demonstrated by the number Epic Games Store exclusivity deals they've made. All that really tells is that Disney responds to profit.
well last i heard nintendo was the richest company in japan

GhostRoy

Smash Apprentice
Grand Rapids, MI United States of America
NNID
RoyUchiha
Theres also the part where what they are letting them use is limited time availability

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If you take a look at the recent posts of HMK he is showing a lot of companies making super WEIRD looking toys of KH, literally putting naysayers on a laughable spot when they brag on the whole "muh disney would never -insert whatever here- with KH". It's so funny, but my god some of those toys are scary haha

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Nintendo is a much bigger company than Epic Games probably by about a few times at least. They are definitely one of the top most valuable companies in japan. Thats saying something when you're still comparing them to the likes of Honda, Mitsubishi, and Toyota.

Overall though its still just a video game and if the deal doesn't make sense it just doesn't make sense. If youre paying 100k to license a character and you only expect to make 50k, its a bad investment. Only Nintendo knows how much they make off of dlc. Essentially 12 million copies were sold, so if 75% of those sales are converted into DLC purchases then youre looking at about 225 million split 6 ways. Each character would be bringing in like 37.5 million, then you have to take out royalties potentially and what you actually spent on licensing and other related expenses.

I would assume the amount of sales thats converted is maybe around 50% on the high end, but I would have no clue. The games popularity decreases over time, less people play it so they aren't willing to purchase dlc.

As for Sora's chances, I do think the steve situation is good for him since its been stated that the character has been in the works for quite a bit. And the only reason I would say he has a leg up on other Square characters at this point is because apparently their were talks from what we know. (Allegedly) . To add to that I don't believe it was ever stated when the talks had taken place. Either way deals don't just fall through and that's it. Its very possible that talks were going on, they couldn't reach an agreement at that point in time and picked up the negotiations at a later date.

stealthyfrog

Smash Rookie
It's not a matter of whether Nintendo could afford Disney's price for Sora. If Disney charges way more than Nintendo has ever paid to license a third-party character then Nintendo will find others that are willing to sell a character that can garner similar hype as Sora for a cheaper price. Not to mention Sora's price would balloon if Nintendo wanted Sora in Smash to include cameos from Mickey, Goofy, Donald, etc.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I think that given how popular Steve would be, I think Nintendo could tank the cost of Sora even if he's not as popular as they'd expect due to them selling primarily selling through the passes.

And I think if there's anyone that could convince Disney. It's Sakurai. Like other people said, even among video games KH isn't in the top tier of popular game series, and it's pretty low on the Disney IP totem of vicious protection needed.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Bull. HMK’s been going on about the various times Nintendo and Disney collared with the latter’s actual characters being featured in some form. There’s no way a character made specifically for Disney crossover game is more than Disney’s actual characters in terms of price (especially not after a character from the most successful game in the world got in).

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I want Sora to be in but with the amount of people popping out of the woodworks saying it's not happening doesn't leave me optimistic. Yeah I can point out a KH board game, merchandise and TCG existing but who knows how things change for video game negotiations.

The poster on GameFAQs saying Disney wanted a Sora and Mickey pack on their terms sounds less like Disney wanted a dump truck full of money upfront and more they wanted Nintendo to do DLC in a way they didn't want to do. That is assuming the rumour is true.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Something I started writing about four months ago but it fell on the backburner until all of this happened and I decided to finish it

In this doc, I've attempted to address and debunk all of the common misconceptions about Sora

While I've made peace with the fact that most likely he's not going to happen, I don't believe he's impossible and neither should you

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Somebody already brought this up. Some of us think it's fake, others are trying to figure out if the source is even credible/has a decent track record. I think that the source is very real but, due to the fact that the leaker is convinced they'd get into trouble just to deconfirm Sora, I'm also assuming that talks are still going on... Or the leaker's info is just old. After finding out the Steve took 5 years to get into Smash, I'm more convinced that this is the case.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I want Sora to be in but with the amount of people popping out of the woodworks saying it's not happening doesn't leave me optimistic. Yeah I can point out a KH board game, merchandise and TCG existing but who knows how things change for video game negotiations.

The poster on GameFAQs saying Disney wanted a Sora and Mickey pack on their terms sounds less like Disney wanted a dump truck full of money upfront and more they wanted Nintendo to do DLC in a way they didn't want to do. That is assuming the rumour is true.
That's news to me. Got a link?

Edit: Never mind I found it.

Last edited:

edumolon11

Smash Cadet
Something I started writing about four months ago but it fell on the backburner until all of this happened and I decided to finish it

In this doc, I've attempted to address and debunk all of the common misconceptions about Sora

While I've made peace with the fact that most likely he's not going to happen, I don't believe he's impossible and neither should you
Congratulacions, that was a good read!!

We only can wait

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

I honestly don't see that happening. It's one thing to assume that Disney would overcharge for Sora, it's another thing entirely to suggest that Disney would force their biggest IP on another company when they aren't even asking for it. Especially as a form of payment. To think there was a time where Disney was considered overprotective of their IPs...

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I honestly don't see that happening. It's one thing to assume that Disney would overcharge for Sora, it's another thing entirely to suggest that Disney would force their biggest IP on another company when they aren't even asking for it. Especially as a form of payment. To think there was a time where Disney was considered overprotective of their IPs...
You bring up a good point. It's one thing to go after Sora, it's another for Disney to all of a sudden demand Mickey be included too.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Yeah, no. I can believe that Disney May have overcharged for licensing Sora, but this, this just screams bulls**t, like supreme levels of bulls**t. How anyone could believe this is beyond me.
Same here. Always worth a look anyway.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Pretty sure this is it.

Supposedly it comes from the same source that leaked the recent layoffs at Disney.
The user in question is a notorious troll lol, he doesn't actually have info regarding Smash and you shouldn't bother with him.

And regarding the Resetera poster,I honestly wouldn't trust anyone who claims they "know" how the negotiations went down with other companies. I imagine that stuff would be highly secretive and wouldn't leak. Knowledge about negotiations happening is one thing. Knowledge about how the negotiations went down with it's details is silly fake leak material. I've seen it time and time again where someone would LARP and spout out detailed stuff to make their fake leak appear more real.

As far as I'm concerned Sora is not deconfirmed. Now whether Sora is likely is something else. But he definitely still has a shot.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Can affirm: Don't trust GameFAQs Smash Board as a source. In any case dude is most likely a troll, he refused to divulge an actual source, and the thread in particular was locked - possibly by a moderator. When it comes to that board only a thread that has ballooned to like 250+ posts is worth even a glance.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
I think it's just much healthier to assume that he's not going to make it in since if he's not in, you get the disappointment out of the way first (and be pleasantly surprised if against all the naysayers, he makes it in).

If anything (assuming the rumors are true), Nintendo wants Sora. That, by itself should give a lot of hope to fans - many character supports would wish that their MWs could receive this kind of signal. Maybe Disney will still remain greedy/oblivious, but the future is never fixed and its entirely possible this can change. So stay optimistic!

Last edited:

xleft

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0885-3621-8019
The user in question is a notorious troll lol, he doesn't actually have info regarding Smash and you shouldn't bother with him.

And regarding the Resetera poster,I honestly wouldn't trust anyone who claims they "know" how the negotiations went down with other companies. I imagine that stuff would be highly secretive and wouldn't leak. Knowledge about negotiations happening is one thing. Knowledge about how the negotiations went down with it's details is silly fake leak material. I've seen it time and time again where someone would LARP and spout out detailed stuff to make their fake leak appear more real.

As far as I'm concerned Sora is not deconfirmed. Now whether Sora is likely is something else. But he definitely still has a shot.
This basically sums up all of my thoughts.
Sora is the character with the most misinformation flowing all over him and I fear it's gonna continue till he gets in.

M@R!3

Smash Ace

I figured the gamefaqs post was nonsense. I only posted the link because somebody asked.

As for the resetera stuff, nothing that's been posted as of the last day or two is anything I haven't already seen digging through myself. I agree that the details are a red flag, and the lack of a notable name willing to endorse the whole thing adds to that. There's a slight chance the info could be legit given the users history with smash speculation and data mining, though there's nothing to suggest those activities led to any actual connections. Without that activity the whole thing would be in the same tier as a 4chan post in terms of credibility.

Hopefully we'll see some developments in the future, but I'm not counting on it.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
You know with all this talk of some rando saying Sora is not making it into Smash and everybody is quick to agree, I'm gonna laugh when all the naysayers are proven wrong when Sora does make it in. I mean I remember people from all across the board everybody was saying Steve couldn't make it in because the way he functions and limited movement and how nobody wanted him except for a couple of people here on Smashboards and those who enjoyed Minecraft and even calling him a meme pick across the whole internet. We already know full well that people against Sora will always pull out the argument of Disney and how they won't let him in Smash and that they're hard to work with which we know already know is a load of bull So just like Banjo who was my #1 pick for DLC and remembering all the naysayers back then, I don't know about you guys but I'm never quitting on Sora's chances until the very end of DLC when they announce who the final character is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom