• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
DLC selection has been finalized by Nintendo and will be quality checked by Sakurai based on their decision
i think the idea of a Fire Emblem Three Houses character is pretty likely. Frankly, I have personal doubts that nintendo did not choose Sora. Any thoughts on this?

Okay, so this is super interesting. On one hand, this extremely lessens the possibility of 3rd party characters joining the roster. Nintendo has people on the clock working on their Twitter feed so we can easily bug them to include Sora into the roster and we'd more likely get their attention doing it.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so this is super interesting. On one hand, this extremely lessens the possibility of 3rd party characters joining the roster. Nintendo has people on the clock working on their Twitter feed so we can easily bug them to include Sora into the roster and we'd more likely get their attention doing it.
There's not really a point anymore. The selection from NIntendo is already done. Also if you check the reply to that tweet Sakurai made sure to address the North American audience only to not pester him with requests now that the planning is finished.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Please do not do this. It is incredibly disrespectful and will not accomplish anything. Just wait it out like all the other groups.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well unless disney and nintendo were in talks to bring kh3 to the switch i dont think that helps

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
There's not really a point anymore. The selection from NIntendo is already done.
Please do not do this. It is incredibly disrespectful and will not accomplish anything. Just wait it out like all the other groups.
The last time I was convinced to wait on supporting Sora in Smash bros. because characters were already decided, I got smacked with a scenario where I am being told that no amount of support would matter since DLC characters have been decided. Now, normally I'd argue that there's no guarantee that we're not getting season 2 of DLC but:

Also if you check the reply to that tweet Sakurai made sure to address the North American audience only to not pester him with requests now that the planning is finished.
I specifically mentioned Nintendo due to the fact that they were the ones choosing but, yikes. If it's that bad then it really is pointless, isn't it?
But I'm not a fan of sitting on my thumbs so I'll go and at the very least try to make the prospect of Sora joining Smash more appealing to both KH fans and Smash fans so the next time won't be as challenging.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Reminder that Nintendo put Metal Gear Solid 4 content in Brawl. Metal Gear Solid 4 was a killer app for the PS3, a competing system.

I don’t think Nintendo cares much about promoting games on other systems if it’s collateral damage. Nintendo knows if they release Sora near the release of Kingdom Hearts III, there are better odds of him selling well.

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
Reminder that Nintendo put Metal Gear Solid 4 content in Brawl. Metal Gear Solid 4 was a killer app for the PS3, a competing system.

I don’t think Nintendo cares much about promoting games on other systems if it’s collateral damage. Nintendo knows if they release Sora near the release of Kingdom Hearts III, there are better odds of him selling well.
That is a perfect way of putting it. It’s a win-win for both parties involved (or three, in this case). Who would have ever guessed that Snake would be in Smash? “He’s from an M-rated game series and they are more PlayStation than Nintendo!” Well, he made it. Cloud for Smash? “No way! Cloud represents Final Fantasy’s break away from Nintendo!” What do you know? He’s in Super Smash Bros.

Sakurai himself said while announcing DLC that the Super Smash Bros. series is a celebration of gaming. Kingdom Hearts is a huge franchise with over 24 million copies sold and a huge entry on its way. It would be foolish not to cash in on this opportunity.

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
Hype responsibly. I want Sora too, but with Sakurai saying the DLC was JUST NOW chosen, by Nintendo... Vergeben's claim of a Square rep from months ago starts to smell really fishy. I mean, what, can he see the future?

Though, if they're doing 3rd party DLC, a Square rep isn't illogical either. Just, keep a healthy dose of skepticism...

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
Hype responsibly. I want Sora too, but with Sakurai saying the DLC was JUST NOW chosen, by Nintendo... Vergeben's claim of a Square rep from months ago starts to smell really fishy. I mean, what, can he see the future?

Though, if they're doing 3rd party DLC, a Square rep isn't illogical either. Just, keep a healthy dose of skepticism...
No no. Sakurai wasn’t saying that they were chosen not too long ago. It’s most likely that the negotiations had just finished and they finally began work on them. Also, there’s 5 characters all coming at different times, lasting up until February 2020, so it’s possible some characters may be further along than others.

I also don’t believe that Sora is out of the question. Many argue that Nintendo wouldn’t help a third party company by promoting an upcoming game on a competing system, however it’s happened several times now. Snake was added to Brawl when his newest game was coming to PS3. Ryu was DLC when his newest game wasn’t coming to a Nintendo system. Cloud has hardly ever been on a Nintendo system and not as a leading role, yet here he is. Smash is a celebration of gaming and Kingdom Hearts is a pretty big household name. I think there is only much to gain from Sora’s inclusion.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No no. Sakurai wasn’t saying that they were chosen not too long ago. It’s most likely that the negotiations had just finished and they finally began work on them. Also, there’s 5 characters all coming at different times, lasting up until February 2020, so it’s possible some characters may be further along than others.

I also don’t believe that Sora is out of the question. Many argue that Nintendo wouldn’t help a third party company by promoting an upcoming game on a competing system, however it’s happened several times now. Snake was added to Brawl when his newest game was coming to PS3. Ryu was DLC when his newest game wasn’t coming to a Nintendo system. Cloud has hardly ever been on a Nintendo system and not as a leading role, yet here he is. Smash is a celebration of gaming and Kingdom Hearts is a pretty big household name. I think there is only much to gain from Sora’s inclusion.
The way I see it, it’s not including the character to promote the game. Rather, it’s including the character so that the game promotes the character.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Hey guys, would this be the main sora thread? If we are rooting for him for DLC, count me in!

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
Welp, looks like nothing in the VGAs for Kingdom Hearts. If the rumors are true about tying into the nominee, Deagon Quest or Octopath Traveller are the only ones, unless you count Tomb Raider. Still, nothing is certain until confirmed.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Since Nintendo chose the 5 DLC characters, I strongly doubt any of them are third-party. If they are third-party, they'll probably be from a popular title coming for the Switch. That said, unless KH3 and KH: The Story So Far are being ported to the Switch, I don't have high hopes for Sora at this point.

[Shrugs] At any rate, we shall see.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I'm not putting stock in it, heck I don't even think we will see a Smash reveal there period. Leaky is far from reliable.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I'll come clean and admit Sora is not necesarily my most wanted character for DLC...
But I got made fun off for thinking he has a legitimate chance so how about you guys throw me in the support list anyway, for extra measure. Just want to laugh at people in case he does happen.

I've also only played Kingdom Hearts 2 and a little Dream Drop just so you guys know I'm not that unfamiliar with the series.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I’m starting to think

Geno May have still Ben in the helm for the square rep because stuff accured to me

One Nintendo is aware of geno since they mentioned the 10th anniversary

Two the ballot Nintendo got blow away by how popular king K. Rool was they had no clue he was that wanted

Three the geno picture on online mode no proof that’s a spirit thing and mewtwo and Lucas back in 4 broke that rule (trophies)

D

Deleted member

Hey guys TheCJBrine TheCJBrine said this in the banjo thread and I don’t think this will be a problem

“Disney themselves asks Square Enix if they can use Sora out of respect.

From what I remember people saying, Disney also wouldn't mind Sora being in Smash, but it's up to Square.”

BOOM.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Hey. This isn't me bashing you guys or anything, but I have an honest question to ask you all because I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to Kingdom Hearts. What does Sora bring to Smash that would make him unique amongst the cast, because that is something Sakurai looks for when deciding characters. If manga characters are not allowed to get into Smash, then I doubt any Disney properties are getting in. Can Sora alone with an original Kingdom Hearts stage properly represent KH? Can Sora be unique enough without Disney representation? I don't mean for this to sound ignorant or condescening at all, and I apologize if this comes off that way, but from what I'm seeing Sora is another magic swordsman with an anime-style haircut and Cloud kinda already fits that bill.

But I want to be educated on this and understand Sora more, so I would appreciate if someone would be able to clear up some of my concerns.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Hey guys TheCJBrine TheCJBrine said this in the banjo thread and I don’t think this will be a problem

“Disney themselves asks Square Enix if they can use Sora out of respect.

From what I remember people saying, Disney also wouldn't mind Sora being in Smash, but it's up to Square.”

BOOM.
Well that's true to an extent but he's still got it backward. Yes, Disney expressed an interest in the matter and they do like to consult Square but at the end of the day, Disney is the one who holds all the chips here. No one ever thought Square was the issue.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey. This isn't me bashing you guys or anything, but I have an honest question to ask you all because I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to Kingdom Hearts. What does Sora bring to Smash that would make him unique amongst the cast, because that is something Sakurai looks for when deciding characters. If manga characters are not allowed to get into Smash, then I doubt any Disney properties are getting in. Can Sora alone with an original Kingdom Hearts stage properly represent KH? Can Sora be unique enough without Disney representation? I don't mean for this to sound ignorant or condescening at all, and I apologize if this comes off that way, but from what I'm seeing Sora is another magic swordsman with an anime-style haircut and Cloud kinda already fits that bill.

But I want to be educated on this and understand Sora more, so I would appreciate if someone would be able to clear up some of my concerns.
Well, for starters, stages aren’t a problem. There are many original and iconic locations in Kingdom Hearts like Traverse Town and The World that Never Was, so you wouldn’t have to use a Disney location.

As for moveset potential, if the concern is that he would require the use of Disney stuff, most of his abilities are original, and while some of the coolest are Disney stuff (and KH3 seems to be adding some great ones), there’s plenty of stuff to glean from.

If Disney’s not the concern and you just want to know if he’d stand out, to be honest I imagine Sora playing more like a Robin than a swordsman. He’s got tons of magic attacks and abilities, and that’s not getting into game specific mechanics even (I expect the monster-things from Dream Drop Distance to play a role, for example). He also has great mobility, so there’s the potential for a quick rushdown character with a great air game.

I’m sure others can explain it better (it’s been way too long since I played a KH game), but I don’t think there’s any way Sora would play like a regular swordsman.

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731

Thank you for your honesty. I do understand that Sora does have deep ties to Disney, however Sora can be very much his own even with limited Disney inclusion.

Check out this video made by a big KH YouTuber. It is very heavily edited, but it should give a decent showcase of what Sora is capable of. https://youtu.be/JOkne5NfPwQ

What I personally think Sora could bring to the table is a unique hack-and-slash style that could be very reminiscent of his games. Sure, I understand the generic anime swordsman thing, and I don’t even disagree with it, but there’s tons that Sora can do to make him and very fun and unique character.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

Well, most of your questions have apparently been answered, but I want to know something myself. A lot of people I've argued with tend to bring up the whole "He's just another anime sword fighter" argument quite a lot and I'd like to know why. After all, it's not like he doesn't have gameplay to pull from, he's not a turn-based RPG kind of character, and just from seeing his gameplay alone, you could tell how much differently he would play from any other sword fighter in the current roster.

Anytime this is brought up I feel like the person using this argument is stuck on the fact that he uses a sword but that's just me assuming and I'd, at the very least, like to have a second opinion from someone who follows this mindset.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Well, most of your questions have apparently been answered, but I want to know something myself. A lot of people I've argued with tend to bring up the whole "He's just another anime sword fighter" argument quite a lot and I'd like to know why. After all, it's not like he doesn't have gameplay to pull from, he's not a turn-based RPG kind of character, and just from seeing his gameplay alone, you could tell how much differently he would play from any other sword fighter in the current roster.

Anytime this is brought up I feel like the person using this argument is stuck on the fact that he uses a sword but that's just me assuming and I'd, at the very least, like to have a second opinion from someone who follows this mindset.
Nah I wasn't saying that Sora shouldn't be in the game because he's an anime swordsman. What I meant was does Sora have a chance given his similarities to Cloud because Sakurai has stated in the past that a lot of characters are chosen based on uniqueness, but it appears I have already received my answers on that (thanks guys!). I don't really like the anime swordsman argument myself.

KHJason95

Smash Cadet
NNID
KHJason20
Switch FC
SW-4391-8530-5723
Nah I wasn't saying that Sora shouldn't be in the game because he's an anime swordsman. What I meant was does Sora have a chance given his similarities to Cloud because Sakurai has stated in the past that a lot of characters are chosen based on uniqueness, but it appears I have already received my answers on that (thanks guys!). I don't really like the anime swordsman argument myself.
I am with you on that myself, BeastHimself. I think Sora might have a chance now. If not, then we can say... He almost made it?

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Think about what Sora's name means, it's "Sky" in japanese. That alone and seeing how he fights makes him a specialist in the air.

Looking at the games, he is an acrobatic and nimble sword fighter that utilizes magic. His magic differs from Robin's too:
Firaga surrounds the user, Robin does not have access to ice type magic in the first place, and Thundaga is not a projectile.

There are many form changes Sakurai can pull from that can give him different playstyles, such as wielding two Keyblades at once. And seeing how Sakurai gave Shulk his own monado arts he made up: Smash and Jump, it's not totally out of the realm for Sora to have a Smash Bros original Drive Form.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
If Sakurai made a Smash Bros original Drive Form and somehow implemented to his moveset ala Little Mac's KO meter, how would you envision it?
- Would take longer to fill than Little Mac's K.O. meter.
- If filled, it would only be full for 15 seconds before restarting.
- Dying would also restart it.
- Activating it would be Sora's down special. Meaning, his down special would only be used to activate it and nothing else.
- It would also last about 15 or 20 seconds.

Balancing this would be a nightmare. Heck, even with the limitation I've imagined for it, I doubt that it'd be anything Sakurai and his team would even use.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
I have a legit question
So taking for granted that getting back Cloud was hard for Sakurai, and at the cost of giving a DLC slot to Square Enix for them to get money

If Sora is at first and only, Disney's property and that they only ask Square Enix for permission out of respect

Who would get the money of a Sora DLC ?
Wouldn't it be Disney and not Square Enix ?
If then, what's to gain from Square Enix ?

D

Deleted member

I have a legit question
So taking for granted that getting back Cloud was hard for Sakurai, and at the cost of giving a DLC slot to Square Enix for them to get money

If Sora is at first and only, Disney's property and that they only ask Square Enix for permission out of respect

Made by square owned by Disney

They’ll split up the money together

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I have a legit question

Disney should, for all intents and purposes, get the money. Afterall, SE doesn't own his character, so there's no reason for them to receive any of it.
So they honestly stand to gain nothing from his inclusion, and it simply boils down to whether or not SE and/or Nomura just want to see Sora in Smash bros., which has a pretty decent case going for it.

Although, depending on how much of a cut SE receives from the sales figures of KH, there is an argument to be had for free advertising.

Top Bottom