• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
Yes, the publisher. Not the IP owner or copyright holder.

Nintendo of America publishes the Professor Layton games, but Nintendo doesn't own Layton. Bandai Namco developed Smash 4 but doesn't own Smash Bros. Square Enix develops and publishes Kingdom Hearts but doesn't own the original characters.
As in the Disney ones (cus the worlds are based off ther movies)
Square made Sora

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've read from multiple sources that Nomura said a Switch version for KH3 is possible--but not until the PS4 and X1 versions are finished. If that ever does happen, they would probably have to downgrade the graphics, since the Switch is less powerful. That said, however, I'm not getting mine hopes up. Nevertheless, it would be a pleasant surprise.
yeah im not gonna get my hopes up either, it would be awesome though and who cares if they have to down grade the graphics

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hoenstly, I would be perfectly fine with Sora being in a future Smash game. He fits the "popular" and "iconic" criteria, and he has even appeared on Nintendo platforms, unlike a certain other spikey-haired swordsman. Not to mention that he would indeed be unique given his magic and the like. His only hurdle, really, is Disney, and even that can be worked around if Sakurai puts his mind to it.

So, sure, I guess I support.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Hoenstly, I would be perfectly fine with Sora being in a future Smash game. He fits the "popular" and "iconic" criteria, and he has even appeared on Nintendo platforms, unlike a certain other spikey-haired swordsman. Not to mention that he would indeed be unique given his magic and the like. His only hurdle, really, is Disney, and even that can be worked around if Sakurai puts his mind to it.

So, sure, I guess I support.
If you're referring to Cloud, he actually HAS appeared on Nintendo platforms--albeit not as a titular character. He appeared in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the Gameboy Advance, Kingdom Hearts: ReCoded for the Nintendo DS, and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy for the Nintendo 3DS. So strictly speaking, Cloud does meet the unwritten rule of "Thou Shalt Have Originated from a Video Game and Appeared on Nintendo".

Back to Sora: In terms of moveset, I have to agree with a previous poster, whom said that Sora's moveset should be strictly Keyblade-based. Just how Cloud's Buster Sword makes him stand out, Sora's Keyblade makes HIM stand out. Ergo, adding magick to Sora's moveset would in many ways rob him of his uniqueness, since we already have plenty of other magick users.

At any rate, Disney aside, I think Sora's best chance of getting in Smash is if Kingdom Hearts 3 gets ported to the Switch. I remember Nomura saying that a Switch port was a probability, but not until the PS4 & XB1 versions were finished.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
At any rate, Disney aside, I think Sora's best chance of getting in Smash is if Kingdom Hearts 3 gets ported to the Switch. I remember Nomura saying that a Switch port was a probability, but not until the PS4 & XB1 versions were finished.
he said possibility not probability i know its nit picking but we shouldn't get our hopes up yet

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
So, how's about we get some Kingdom Hearts 3 speculation in here? I made a list of all the worlds I'm thinking will be in KH3. They said there would be more worlds total than KH2 (So at least 16), but less Disney worlds (less than 12).

I'm thinking 16 worlds total, 10 of which are Disney.

Original Worlds
Twilight Town/The Mysterious Tower*
Daybreak Town OR Radiant Garden
Castle Oblivion/The Land of Departure
Keyblade Graveyard
A New, Original World

Disney Worlds
Hercules - Olympus Coliseum*
Tangled - Kingdom of Corona (?)*
Big Hero 6 - San Fransokyo (?)*
Toy Story - Andy's Neighborhood (?)*
Frozen - Arendelle (?)
Lilo & Stitch - Koa'e ke Paradise (?)
Wreck-It Ralph - Game Central (?)
A Jungle or Forest-Themed World
A Pirate-Themed World
A Returning Disney World

Other
The World Ends with You - Shibuya

*Confirmed

So, let's break it down, piece by piece.

I honestly couldn't think of a better name for the Toy Story world; what do you guys think?

As far as the name I gave for Lilo & Stitch, I used a translator to translate the word "Tropic" to Hawaiian. I honestly think it would be a cool name and considering the name of the Hunchback of Notre Dame world is French, I wouldn't doubt it if they did it again.

The Jungle or Forest themed world is kinda tricky for me to decide which I think is most likely. A long while ago, Normura stated they plan out what kind of worlds they want first, then pick a Disney film to correspong to it. As far as new Disney worlds are concerned, I think they could use:
- The Jungle Book, which I have named "Madhya Pradesh", after a region in central India.
- Robin Hood, which I have named "Sherwood Forest."
- Pocahontas, which I have named "Jamestown," though I also considered "Valley of the Colored Winds," or just "Valley of the Wind."

I also don't think they would use both Robin Hood and The Jungle Book, considering Robin Hood reused and recolored Baloo's model for Little John. If it were up to me, I'd take Robin Hood first (I loved that movie as a kid.), followed by Pocahontas (just to see those gorgeous visuals in the Kingdom Shader.), then Jungle Book (I don't have as fond memories with this one as the other two.)

The Pirate themed world is easy; either they could go with Treasure Planet, which I could see considering both of Roy Conley's other films are represented, and which was planned to appear in Dream Drop Distance. Alternatively, and this is what I personally want more, is to see the return of Port Royal. Pirates is a huge franchise, and tell me you don't want to fight Davy Jones? The guy's literally a heartless!

And finally, the returning Disney world. I don't know which it could be; but I could see them going with Disney Castle/Disney Town, Agrabah (I think there's still a lot to do there; though Robin Williams stated in his will that he didn't want anyone using characters he portrayed for 25 years after his death - don't ask me, it's just what I heard and I don't get it either!), or Mulan (Mulan II exists, good or not, and it was one of my personal favorite worlds and seems to be pretty popular as far as KH2 world goes.)

Now, those are my thoughts. What are yours? What do you think of mine?

Also, allow me to throw out an idea I want to see, but know it won't ever be - let's get a Disney Channel cartoon in there - Gargoyles or Gravity Falls would work fantastically due to their dark theming. And yes, I would be f**king ecstatic if Gravity Falls got in.

Oh, and let's get Star Butterfly as a summon while we're at it.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Disney is notorious with copyright right laws (Mickey Mouse should've entered Public Domain a LONG time ago). They wouldn't have agreed to a game like KH to begin with if Square wasn't willing to give them full ownership.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
For the few whom might give a hoot, there is a remote chance we might be able to play Kingdom Hearts 3 on the Switch after all.

I recently discovered an app called Rainway, which allows you to play PC games on any device which has a web browser. How it works is that you are able to stream games from your PC onto your system via the Cloud, so long as you have a strong internet connection. So far, the Rainway app is scheduled for release on the XB1 and PS4, but Nintendo has yet to approve of the app on the Switch. That said, despite the app working fine on the Switch, ultimately they need Nintendo's leave.

According to multiple sources I've read, Square Enix said they would consider porting Kingdom Hearts 3 to the PC, once the XB1 and PS4 versions were done. If that ends up happening, then even if it does not get ported to the Switch, we might still be able to play it on the Switch via Rainway.

Sources:
https://twitter.com/RainwayApp/with_replies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPz-t3J7ODo

[Shrugs] Of course, this is all just speculation. The worst case scenario is that Nintendo says "no" to Rainway, and Square says "no" to Switch. Quite frankly, since there are already games that are available both on Rainway and the Nintendo eShop, from a financial perspective I can see why Nintendo would say no. That said, as amazing as it would be to play KH3, FFXV, and other non-Nintendo titles on the Switch, I'm not getting mine hopes up.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yeah it would be great to play some of those games on switch, weve missed out on a fair bit over the years

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I've always kind of wanted Sora in the SSB series, but have remained mainly silent about it because not only did it seem incredibly unlikely, but Sora and KH have never been big franchises on Nintendo systems...

...But then SSB4 DLC happened and Cloud became a playable character. Cloud has even less appearances on Nintendo systems than Sora does, and has never even really been in a true Final Fantasy game on Nintendo. Meanwhile Sora has been in Chain of Memories, RE: Coded, and Dream Drop Distance (a fairly big non-numbered KH title). So screw it. If Cloud can be in SSB, then so can Sora. Really, Sora has been more of a character on Nintendo consoles than Cloud has ever been.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Kingdom Hearts is probably my all-time favorite series aside from Smash. Sora in Super Smash Bros. has been a dream of mine for so long, and now with KH3 coming out and Cloud getting Square's foot in the door, he actually has a good chance. Just thinking about playing as my boy Sora in my favorite game almost brings me to tears. I made an emblem to show my support. RECONNECT.

edit: About the copyright thing...this has never been an issue. Remember when people were arguing that Megaman wouldn't be in Smash 4 because Capcom and Inafune were feuding? Turns out Sakurai just asked and they said yes. And when people were arguing that Banjo wouldn't win the DLC poll because Rare is owned by a rival company? Phil Spencer himself came out and said there'd be no problem. Every time copyright has been an issue in the past, it turned out there was nothing to worry about. It might be different because it's Disney, but just remember all the times when copyright wasn't an issue before you start arguing that it will be.

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Frickin' yeah i'll support your cause! Putting Sora in Smash 5 (Which by coincidence is releasing in the same year as KHIII) would be so f-ing amazing.

I wonder what his trailer would be like?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
The fact that Kingdom Hearts III and a new Smash are releasing in the same year blows my ****ing mind. I have a god-tier year ahead of me, and I thought that this year wouldn't top last with Breath of the Wild.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
I wonder what his trailer would be like?
It'll probably involve the Primids from Brawl (since they're basically just Heartless rip-offs)

The fact that Kingdom Hearts III and a new Smash are releasing in the same year blows my ****ing mind. I have a god-tier year ahead of me, and I thought that this year wouldn't top last with Breath of the Wild.
We both know neither of those are actually gonna come out by the end of the year.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
It'll probably involve the Primids from Brawl (since they're basically just Heartless rip-offs)

We both know neither of those are actually gonna come out by the end of the year.
I disagree. Only one Smash game has ever been delayed, and they've been working on KH3 for about five years now and just gave us a release year.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Okay "rip off" might've been a bit much, but they're very similar. Little fighting guys that form from balls of darkness. I guess they're more like the one specific heartless (shadows) than all of them, but either way they're definitely similar and it'd be cool to see Sora fight them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well if they can put cloud in they can put sora in

they could also put kingdom hearts 3 on the switch but im not that lucky

Last edited:

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Today I will play Kingdom Hearts for the first time. I hope I will end up a fan as well; I like Sora's design a lot.

nth

Smash Rookie
Stopped by to say this is my #1 hope for Switch Smash. I'd love to see Sora. He's not particularly my favorite character from KH (I'm sure we all have our favorites), but I would kill a man to see KH in SSB and I think Sora is by far the most likely pick for it.

I know there's not really a chance Sakurai or any of the relevant parties at Nintendo read these forums, but if there was a poll, Sora would have my vote.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Stopped by to say this is my #1 hope for Switch Smash. I'd love to see Sora. He's not particularly my favorite character from KH (I'm sure we all have our favorites), but I would kill a man to see KH in SSB and I think Sora is by far the most likely pick for it.

I know there's not really a chance Sakurai or any of the relevant parties at Nintendo read these forums, but if there was a poll, Sora would have my vote.
Welcome to Smashboards, fellow Keyblade wielder!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Spra Moveset

Stats

Weight: 6/10 (slightly less then Lucario)
Walk Speed: 7/10 (About Mario's)
Run Speed: 7/10 (Around Mario's)
Air Speed: 8/10 (Around Mario's)
Jump Height: 7/10 (Around Mario's)
Fall Speed: 4/10 (Around Pits)
Size: A bit shorter than Lucario due to his stance, a bit shorter than Marth in the air
Crawl: No
Jumps: 2
Wall Jump: Yes
Wall Cling: No
Game Play Plan: Combo Sword Fighter
While most Sword fighters fight with power or finesse, Sora chooses to focus on combos instead. Sora does have difficulty killing however, due to his focus on raw combo potential rather than pure killing power. He is meant to play a bit safe and then get huge punishes via keyblade combos. I chose this idea for his moveset because I wanted something like KH2FM+ combat to be the basis for his moveset.

A Moves
Jab 1 - Sora does a combo starting slash, 3%
Jab 2 - Sora does a horizontal slash 3%
Jab 3 - Sora uses Stun Impact to knock foes away, hits all around Sora in a short range 3%
F Tilt- Sora uses Arcs Arcanum and coats his keyblade in light, swings it three times (2,2,3%) good tool to lead to punishes
Up Tilt- Sora swipes up with the keyblade 6%
Down Tilt- Sora does a three hit combo in blitz that starts low, low , and then medium height swings, final swing has good knockback
Dash Attack- Sora uses Zantezuken, can cross people up and does decent shield damage, but poor damage and knockback 5%
U Smash - Sora casts Thundaga, one of his few kill moves, works like Palutena's Up Smash (13-18%)
F Smash - Sora shoots forward a Blizzaga blast, has good range and hitbox but low power or KO potential(10-15%)
D Smash- Sora Casts firaga as it surrounds him, good for combos (4 hits , 3-4% Each, 12-16% total)
N air- Sora does a vertical spin with Vortex, hitting all around him, (5%). A very fast move that is essential for him to lead to more combos
F air- Sora unleashes a short air combo from KH2, four hits that do 2,2,2,and 3 for the final hit (total 9%), useful for leading to end of combos or for pressure
B air - Identical to Fair, but with shorter range. Does not turn Sora Around
U Air- Sora Casts a quick magnet spell that draws opponents in and explodes, dealing about 7%, good combo ender but poor kill move.
Down Air- Sora plunges the Keyblade down like Cloud's Dair, does not linger as long but a good tool to pop people up for combos (8%)
Grabs and Throws
Grab- Sora grabs opponent, simple grab
Pummel- Sora kicks his opponent with his big boy feet, 2% per pummel.
F throw- Sora throws opponent forward at steep 60 degree angle and uses Strike Raid to hit the opponent (6%)
B throw- Same as F throw but in reverse (6%)
U throw- Sora uses wind magic to push opponents upward, good combo throw (4%)
D throw- Sora uses Graviga to slam opponents into the ground, good kill throw at around 145% (8%)

B Moves
Neutral B- Ragnarok

Sora charges up Ragnarok, leading to him to shoot out several projectiles of light that home in on the target. Should Sora hold Ragnarok in place and remain stationary for a 1.5 seconds, a second flurry of lights will fly out. Useful to help pressure opponents and scare them. 1st wave 6 lights and second wave 7, which each deal 1% Each, so total max output fresh is 13%.
Side B- Sonic Blade
Sora charges forward keyblade first that knocks opponents into the air. This move is the crux of Sora's pressure. It has low lag, so Sora can either follow up with another Sonic Blade or choose to go for air or ground combos. It crosses up shields as well, letting Sora have strong shield pressure. Each blade thrust does 5% fresh.
Up B- Aeroga
Sora surrounds himself with wind which gives him two full seconds of free aerial mobility. Should this run out Sora will have no jumps and his air speed is cut in half until he lands or is hit. Aeroga also can not be used again until Sora lands. This move is a decent albeit risky recovery tool, but its main strength is to pursue for combos. Aeroga does have a slight damage box near Sora where hits do 1% damage with light knockback.
Down B- Explosion
This move is important as it is literally one of Sora's only kill moves. Thankfully it has good range and is a great combo finisher. For large orbs emerge around sora and circle him, only going ~30 degrees above or below Sora for a short distance. The orbs do 8% but have strong knockback. The key to this move is to use it at the end of a combo or a few small hits to help get KOs. KOs Mario around 120%
Final Smash- Final Form Trinity Limit
Sora enters his final form, and his keyblades change to Oathkeeper and Oblivion. Sora enacts the Trinity limit light attack while Oathkeeper and Oblivion fly across the screen like Latios and Latias. The Keyblade hits each do 8% with mild knockback while the final light explosion does 30% with strong knockback.

Misc. Stuff
Taunt 1 - Sora enters deep sleep ala DDD, can be held indefinately.
Taunt 2- Sora does a funny face.
Taunt 3- Sora looks at the good luck charm Kairi gave him.
On Screen Appearance- Sora hops out of the Gummi Ship.

Victory 1- Sora spins the keyblade around and rests it on his shoulder.
Victory 2- Sora eats some sea salt ice cream.
Victory 3- Sora seals a keyhole.

Idle poses: Sora will sometimes kick the ground.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I see the problem here with Disney allowing the character in such game. If I had to pick a KH character, it would be Aqua.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Never got to play many KH games except Chain of Memories which really isn't a true KH experience in my view. Either way, I've always appreciated the series and its unique blend of universes. Sora is also a great character with an awesome weapon, and I'd love to see him included.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Why no Hollow Bastion music in with the other music links?

Can't say he's a character I desperately want in the game, but I'd support any who do.
Personally, I'd want his final smash to involve Donald and Goofy, but I think that's a hell of a long shot.

Top Bottom