• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Mewtader

Smash Cadet
Please add me to the support list as well. Really hoping he gets announced tomorrow.

D

Deleted member

I have a question that relates to Sora's Chances.

There's a lot of debate going on right now on whether or not when Sakurai said in the direct that Ultimate has 103 stages that he meant that's every stage in the base game or if there's more to show.

There are people who are thinking that if it's the former than we won't get any new characters from a series not currently on the roster, which is exactly what Kingdom Hearts is, because there wouldn't be a stage from that series to go with that character.

Obviously it's all speculation at this point. But let's just pretend for a second that that is exactly what the case is. Would that actually prevent Sora from getting in? Most of the worlds in Kingdom Hearts come from Disney Franchises, which might not be allowed anyway because they're not of Video Game Origin, and a big part of the idea behind Kingdom Hearts is that it's a crossover between Disney and Final Fantasy.

Given that, couldn't they theoretically add Sora to the game and just call Midgar his home stage?

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

There's a lot of debate going on right now on whether or not when Sakurai said in the direct that Ultimate has 103 stages that he meant that's every stage in the base game or if there's more to show.

There are people who are thinking that if it's the former than we won't get any new characters from a series not currently on the roster, which is exactly what Kingdom Hearts is, because there wouldn't be a stage from that series to go with that character.

Obviously it's all speculation at this point. But let's just pretend for a second that that is exactly what the case is. Would that actually prevent Sora from getting in? Most of the worlds in Kingdom Hearts come from Disney Franchises, which might not be allowed anyway because they're not of Video Game Origin, and a big part of the idea behind Kingdom Hearts is that it's a crossover between Disney and Final Fantasy.

Given that, couldn't they theoretically add Sora to the game and just call Midgar his home stage?
Okay, so I'd like to get 2 details out of the way here.
For starters, we DO have fan favorite stage potentials such as Twilight town, Destiny Island, Traverse Town, Radiant Gardens, and The World That Never Was which were originally made in Kingdom Hearts.
Secondly, as far as we know, there is a 99% chance that Sora will NOT be in the main game. Mainly due to the fact that Nintendo hasn't approached Disney for the rights to use him (at least, not yet). Just to add to this, we could still get Sora as DLC, but we'd need a noticable amount of support from the fans at the very least.

Last edited:

Mewtader

Smash Cadet
Okay, so I'd like to get 2 details out of the way here.
For starters, we DO have fan favorite stage potentials such as Twilight town, Destiny Island, Traverse Town, Radiant Gardens, and The World That Never Was which were originally made in Kingdom Hearts.
Secondly, as far as we know, there is a 99% chance that Sora will NOT be in the main game. Mainly due to the fact that Nintendo hasn't approached Disney for the rights to use him (at least, not yet). Just to add to this, we could still get Sora as DLC, but we'd need a noticable amount of support from the fans at the very least.
I wonder what would trigger everyone to start asking for Sora4Smash

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
We got ZeRo to make our support known after he won the Smash Ultimate invitational. We should be able to gain support and outcry for the character very quickly, should Sora not be present in the base game.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Sora's situation is a lot like Corrin with Fates except Kingdom Hearts is of non-Nintendo origin. Corrin was easily added due to a promotion of an upcoming Nintendo game. I agree that Sora can't possibly be in the base game, the chance he remotely has is through DLC.

What's needed to make this possible is that there has to be a lot of fans vocal about adding him in as DLC, and not just the (KH fans that also play Smash demographic, but the majority of people playing Ultimate). It's pretty clear characters are pretty much guaranteed if they originate in a video game that are in high demand.

There have been cases where characters didn't have stages before. However I think that was due to little development time for most if not all games. This can't be possible nowadays because DLC is very likely.

Captain Falcon and Ness did not have stages in 64. They had to be unlocked on Planet Zebes and Dreamland.
Akaneia was planned to be a stage in Melee but was scrapped. Marth and Roy had to be unlocked on Temple.
ROB did not have a stage in Brawl or Smash 4.

There are many worlds in Kingdom Hearts that are original non Disney content, those could be used.

If Sora doesn't get in, then the only reason for that is there is simply not enough demand to warrant Sakurai's attention.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I wonder what would trigger everyone to start asking for Sora4Smash
There are a few things. We could get a petition going, regularly spread the word for #Sora4smash, and doing some research to ensure that people will know the facts about his chances. He's a fairly popular choice as it is, and I'm positive most people aren't against his inclusion either. At this point, all we can really do is just spread the word and hold respectful arguments in order to build up support.

Dan

Smash Lord
I am the biggest Kingdom Hearts fan and have never had any desire to see Sora in Smash; I don't know why. If he got in, I guarantee they would have to remove all Disney references (including the Mickey keychain) since none of that stuff originated from games.

toonito

Smash Ace
Would rather see Sora in Smash than Geno tbh but I'm not sure about his situation with Disney

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I am the biggest Kingdom Hearts fan and have never had any desire to see Sora in Smash; I don't know why. If he got in, I guarantee they would have to remove all Disney references (including the Mickey keychain) since none of that stuff originated from games.
Nah, they'd keep the keychain. Now what I say isn't going to apply to you if you're not interested in seeing Sora as a playable character in Smash bros. but:

This is going to be an argument you'll see often used against Sora's inclusion. One good way to counter this is by bringing up the fact that Cloud's alternate costume originated in a movie and not a video game. The point you need to get across is that aesthetic references that just add to the design of the character isn't something that can hold Sora back from being included.

BlastState

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlastState
3DS FC
0946-2825-3438
Hello thread! Wanted to let you guys know that I am without a doubt a Sora supporter. As the protagonist of one of my favorite video game franchises ever and one who lends near limitless potential for a fun and unique Smash moveset in my eyes, Sora is not only my third-party pick but also my overall most-wanted character for Smash Ultimate. Hoping this keyblade-wielder finds his way on Nintendo's most famous battlefield soon!

KurouKamen

Smash Cadet
Kingdom Hearts is cool, Sora would be great if added. If I had to choose between him and Geno I’d pick him since Sora was relevant for more than one game and is a main protagonist. Have my support.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
I want Sora and Disney to stick together because that is a big part of his character. So maybe Sora can use friend cards from chain of memories as a down B. He can use a friend card to summon Donald and Goofy to do an attack. With friend cards it is possible to incorporate various key characters into Sora's move set. Including Riku, King Mikey, Aqua, Ventus, and Terra. Possibly others.

Friend cards would be a call back to the first game kingdom hearts appears on in nintendo. I also think friend cards shows Sora's character.
"My friends are my power!"

There are many ways friend cards can work.
The move can be made so that one can shuffle between friend cards like in chain of memories. They can be single use and if you run out you have to reload your friend card deck. (Longer reload time each time). Maybe you can make it so at the cost of some friend cards you can enter a drive form or use d-links.

Edit: Other ideas for friend cards.
Dream eaters, different versions of the same character like wizard Mickey, Armored terra, aqua and ventus, court magician donald, knight goofy, etc.

Last edited:

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
If there is going to be another Square Enix character, I'd want it to be Sora (or Neku, but he is less popular). I was kinda miffed about Cloud joining honestly. Nostly because I find him overrated, but also because I'd much rather had seen a Black magician. Even if it's not Vivi but generic. It felt much more iconic for me. I rather not have a second FF character unless its a Zack Fair cloud Echo, because that is fair I guess, considering Richter. But Sora would be unique enough to bring something new. His game is basically a giant crossover so even in that regard it makes sense. Especially with KH3 releasing the following year. I really like KH so I hope in terms of a new Square Enix rep that we will get him over anyone else.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If there is going to be another Square Enix character, I'd want it to be Sora (or Neku, but he is less popular). I was kinda miffed about Cloud joining honestly. Nostly because I find him overrated, but also because I'd much rather had seen a Black magician. Even if it's not Vivi but generic. It felt much more iconic for me. I rather not have a second FF character unless its a Zack Fair cloud Echo, because that is fair I guess, considering Richter. But Sora would be unique enough to bring something new. His game is basically a giant crossover so even in that regard it makes sense. Especially with KH3 releasing the following year. I really like KH so I hope in terms of a new Square Enix rep that we will get him over anyone else.
not just the following year but the following month

also sora's a disney character

Wambo

Smash Ace
I got a question for you guys, do you guys think they would go as far as to give Sora a exclusive keyblade for the Smash series with a Smash symbol keychain?
That's what I always thought would happen if Sora got into Smash. A common argument I've seen against him in the past was that he had Mickey Mouse's symbol on his keyblade. It wouldn't be that hard to replace it with the Smash symbol. :/

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
That's what I always thought would happen if Sora got into Smash. A common argument I've seen against him in the past was that he had Mickey Mouse's symbol on his keyblade. It wouldn't be that hard to replace it with the Smash symbol. :/
A new keyblade with smash keychain would be cool actually.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Roxas would be a perfect echo fighter
I would argue the dual wielding Oathkeeper/Oblivion Roxas is an iconic part of his character moreso than when he used Sora's style with the Kingdom Key. I think Sora getting in would be good enough for me. Roxas being an echo would be too much.

I got a question for you guys, do you guys think they would go as far as to give Sora a exclusive keyblade for the Smash series with a Smash symbol keychain?
Sakurai isn't one to deviate from source material from 3rd party fighters. Everyone of them has stayed true to their series. I don't think he would change the Kingdom Key or make Sora wield an original designed Keyblade.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I signed but i wonder if there are other more popular petitions i can sign and share to spread the word

SORA4SMASH
I wish. I know someone else tried this before me, but hasn't had any luck gathering supporters: https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-get-sora-in-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch
Either way, I really appreciate the support! Mine is sitting pretty at 140+, but it wouldn't hurt to support this second one too! If you really want to spread the word, link either petition (or both) wherever you think they'd best gather the most attention! Or, share them when Smash bros. news is at its most relevant and hopefully it'll magically take off from there.

Dan

Smash Lord
No, but that is an amazing idea; my Ultimate dream (see what I did there) is for one day Nintendo to partner up with someone like Disney did with Square and instead of Disney worlds it'd be visit Dreamland, Kongo Jungle, Hyrule, Mushroom Kingdom, etc., which we kind of had with the SSE which was actually written by some Kingdom Hearts people.

Like give me a Star Wars/Nintendo crossover where Mario would have a lightsaber.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Roxas as an Echo? No. Until people could accept the idea of Goku in Smash, there can't be two Disney characters in Smash. And if they change Sora's Keyblade to be a unique one with a Smash symbol, people will riot. In fact, I always used the Kingdom Key in the KH games, so I prefer that he gets the Kingdom Key if he ever gets into Smash. And if he does get into Smash, I would expect cameos from Mickey, Donald and Goofy and other Disney movie characters, opening the door to Disney non-game properties getting represented in Smash.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
His keyblade will remain the same no question but the other Disney characters won't be joining him. Also, Roxas as an echo would suck as he likely wouldn't dual wield and I already suffered that disappointment in 358/2

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
His keyblade will remain the same no question but the other Disney characters won't be joining him. Also, Roxas as an echo would suck as he likely wouldn't dual wield and I already suffered that disappointment in 358/2
He could dual wield in 358/2 Days when you equip the Zero Gear with three ability units.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
He could dual wield in 358/2 Days when you equip the Zero Gear with three ability units.
I'm aware he could but for most of the game, you weren't which was lame. In hindsight, I should have expected that considering Axel was surprised seeing Roxas with 2 Keyblades in KH2 but still that's his signature thing and I wanted to do that for most of the game.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
by that logic the gates are already open cause namco bandai own several anime
Yes, Namco Bandai owns Goku and Naruto and many other anime characters. Pokémon has opened the possibility of anime content from the beginning. And this thread is supporting a guy who's best friends with Disney's trinity and regularly interacts with characters from Disney's movies. The hypocrisy is strong with the anti-Goku people.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes, Namco Bandai owns Goku and Naruto and many other anime characters. Pokémon has opened the possibility of anime content from the beginning. And this thread is supporting a guy who's best friends with Disney's trinity and regularly interacts with characters from Disney's movies. The hypocrisy is strong with the anti-Goku people.
no my point was your logic was flawed not that the gates were already open, they said third party characters would be video game characters the gates are closed to goku and mickey no matter whether sora is in smash or not

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Namco-Bandai doesn't actually own any of those characters. They just make the games but they don't remotely own the IP itself. That's really not how it works.

Not that it matters, as noted, because they aren't video game characters either way. Though I think Mickey in his KH style could still appear as a cameo if Sora is in, but playable is severely unlikely in comparison(Trophy seems the most likely at best if anything).

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
If Mickey Mouse even appears at all, that could open a lot of floodgates of non-gaming characters appearing. Sora being owned by Disney is already bad enough. I really do not want a major movie studio like Disney to be credited in the copyrights of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Man I'm so tired of this whole "no non-videogame characters crap", people are so quick to ignore that licensed videogames have had a huge impact on gaming. And seriously are people honestly that worried that if one or two happen that Smash will become MUGEN? Like, come on. The only thing reason people keep putting it down is because once a non-game character is in that just means more competition for the characters they support even though they likely weren't happening anyways.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We've had non-video game stuff via Trophies, etc. with Pokemon. Mickey as a Trophy can't open up anything anyway, as it's still not a playable character. Though I doubt he'll have an appearance anyway.

And yeah, this whole "open the floodgates" thing is silly. They were open during Melee when Sakurai outright had no issues with 3rd party characters(the only ones possible had issues with timing or he couldn't try and get them. Banjo & Kazooie suffered the same issue as Diddy Kong, they weren't sure of what to do with licensing at the time. James Bond wasn't just 3rd party, but there was a ton of licensing as is for things like his likeness(so his physical actor), his voice, and then the rights to his character creation... and none of it was even about Rare, who didn't own him at all). Then there was Sonic and Snake, who were both asked for during development(by Kojima and Sega itself), but there was no time to add them.

The only actual thing that happened after Smash 64 is that any 3rd party can join as is. That's literally it. And yes, his reasoning for saying no to Sonic was development time, not some "no Nintendo appearances" bull that people like to cite as if it was a requirement(despite being something that's useful in getting licensing at best). Non-game 3rd parties(note that Sakurai also only said the non-gaming bits in explicit context to 3rd parties) are still an issue due to way more licensing than normal, and that he wants to make Smash game-focused. Obviously if any non-game 3rd parties got in, they would still be extremely major characters(like Mickey, Goku, or Popeye. All actual icons and not meme choices, but legitimately popular ones). Not that it has any chance of happening, but it wouldn't open any floodgates because he has standards. The only floodgates at best would be on forums making bad threads(oy, that mess was a pain to clean up), but definitely not the actual series.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
The slippery slope argument is problematic because any disney would be getting in only because of Sora and his games. Every character choice is at Sakurai's discretion. If Sakurai wants anime, we will get anime, but we are dealing with a man who handles characters on a case by case basis. If he thinks Sora is a special case because of how disney blends with the franchise and how the franchise has managed to stand on it's own in gaming, then he could add Sora on that basis.
Sora helped Cloud get into smash by increasing his nintendo representation.
Sakurai: At the same time, I think it’s only natural to prioritize the character who enjoys worldwide popularity. I might have had misgivings if Cloud had never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form, though.
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/
So maybe disney isn't such a negative as people make it out to be.

Top Bottom