• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sora from Kingdom Hearts is the Final Character for Ultimate

sora smash banner.jpg

It's been a long period of speculation, but after many years we now have our final character for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The final character is none other than Sora from Kingdom Hearts!

You can watch the full presentation here:

Sora comes with 4 alternate costumes, each of them based on his appearance from a different Kingdom Hearts game. His stage is Hollow Bastion and he comes with 9 songs from the Kingdom Hearts series.

Additionally, 3 new mii costumes were revealed during the presentation. They were as follows:
  • Octoling wig (Splatoon)
  • Judd hat (Splatoon)
  • Doom Slayer (Doom)
1633444782506.png

Sora - along with the mii costumes - will release on October 18th.

Author's Note: How do you feel about Sora being the final character? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sari

Comments

But making one ballot is abit unfair i wouldve preferd to have one every year so that hype stuff doesnt overshadow anything also maybe a 1 Zelda and 1 Kirby char ballot wouldve been needed!
The one ballot that we got was chaotic enough, with fanbases turning against each other and (after we got Bayonetta in Smash) people insisting for five years or more that the ballot was rigged and the winner was actually (insert user's favourite character here). Having a ballot every single year would make it that much worse, especially when it's going to be several years before the next Smash game is even announced.

Getting a new Kirby or Zelda character seems LONG overdue (we haven't had a new Kirby character in Smash since Brawl, and we haven't had a new unique Zelda character in Smash for TWENTY YEARS - I can't imagine what the response would be like if we went twenty years without a new Pokemon or Donkey Kong character in Smash), but it doesn't justify having yearly ballots.

Last edited:
The one ballot that we got was chaotic enough, with fanbases turning against each other and (after we got Bayonetta in Smash) people insisting for five years or more that the ballot was rigged and the winner was actually (insert user's favourite character here). Having a ballot every single year would make it that much worse, especially when it's going to be several years before the next Smash game is even announced.

Getting a new Kirby or Zelda character seems LONG overdue (we haven't had a new Kirby character in Smash since Brawl, and we haven't had a new unique Zelda character in Smash for TWENTY YEARS - I can't imagine what the response would be like if we went twenty years without a new Pokemon or Donkey Kong character in Smash), but it doesn't justify having yearly ballots.
yeah i guess ballots in general can have bad effects just look at every Drgonball fighting game and the lack of chars from the first 17 Volumes!

yeah i guess ballots in general can have bad effects just look at every Drgonball fighting game and the lack of chars from the first 17 Volumes!
I think that's more due to the fact that Dragon Ball games tend to focus more on the Dragon Ball Z part of the series - I think it might have something to do with the branding (games focusing on the original Dragon Ball just seem to include material from the first 16 or 17 volumes, rather than covering the entire series - the World Tournaments with Piccolo and Uub tend to get lost in the shuffle as a result), though most of the characters from the first seventeen volumes are in the rest of the series as well. (the only exceptions would be Pilaf, the Red Ribbon Army members and Tao Pai Pai, Demon King Piccolo, and Launch)

Last edited:
Probably my favorite reveal, not because I wanted sora (I wanted Rayman), but he's such a big surprise and such a cool pick that he's enough for me to say that this was my favorite, and an amazing finale for ultimate. Also, to anyone who says he's a generic sword character, did you even WATCH the presentation? Just because he has a sword doesn't make him a bad pick, plus his movesets sick af

Last edited:
It's not so much them being stingy as it is them not holding the full rights for the music used in most of their games. I dunno if this is a result of them hireing composers who're really good about their contracts or them supporting the idea that Composers should own their music, but them giving out 9-ish songs for each character (and 2 for Cloud) is in no way a result of them being stingy.
That's definitely what it is for the Dragon Quest music. Though it's still stupid that the game itself got symphonic renditions of the same songs, and Smash only got the lower quality tunes. Cloud only getting 2, I'd definitely chalk up to SE being stingy with their property. It wasn't until Sephiroth showed up that a celebrated franchise like Final Fantasy had any variety in it's songs and even then, 3 of the selection for Seph were just remixes of songs already in the game or songs included with him. The stinginess there to me is that it's exclusively stuff from FF7 instead of Final Fantasy overall. I don't have much to say regarding Sora yet.

the developers had to find a way to remove all the Disney-related contents, but somehow, they managed to pull it off.
I mean, it wasn't even remotely difficult; they removed the images of Donald and Goofy on Dive to the Heart and replaced them with a boat and Paopu Fruit.

Sora breaks the "video game only" rule.
No, he doesn't. The rule is originated from a game, and Sora originated from a game.

Tell me that you’re toxic without telling me that you’re toxic.
I'm a Sora supporter and I'll tell you that wasn't toxic. People are so beyond soft nowadays.

(insert user's favourite character here)
Or Sora, cause, you know...

Eh, the majority of criticism with Squeenix being stingy refers to music, and honestly, this doesn't change that. Cloud only got 2 songs, Hero only had 8 lower quality versions of DQ songs (likely because of the composer being a stingy prick), Sephiroth added 9 songs, including a few remixes of the same song, and Sora adds 9 songs. It's still a far cry to Terry's introduction adding 50 songs, or Kazuya's adding 39, especially when you consider how many iconic songs could have been included from Final Fantasy in general.
Terry and Kazuya are exceptions, not the norm.

Sephiroth and Sora are actually pretty on par with most DLCs in terms of music since only Terry, Kazuya and Min Min have more than 7 to 12 tracks.

You're just trying to find ways to keep ****ting on Square Enix when they've clearly redeemed themselves during Pass 2.

Last edited:
Terry and Kazuya are exceptions, not the norm.

Sephiroth and Sora are actually pretty on par with most DLCs in terms of music since only Terry, Kazuya and Min Min have more than 7 to 12 tracks.

You're just trying to find ways to keep ****ting on Square Enix when they've clearly redeemed themselves during Pass 2.
Clearly redeemed themselves is quite the subjective phrase to use when you're attempting to make absolute statements. You also don't seem to recognize me stating that the stingy IS in part 2's DLC, as well as pre-DLC with Cloud. As I said, Sugiyama is likely the one responsible for the lower quality Dragon Quest songs, but that's not the only instance.

Sephiroth's pack has 6 "new" songs, and 3 that are alternate versions/remixes of songs already in the game or in that same pack. My main criticism regarding the FF music being stingy is that they exclusively stick to FF7 and it's sequel movie. Despite labeling Cloud/Sephiroth with the FF for Final Fantasy and not FF7, the tracklist has tunnel vision instead of celebrating the overall franchise they come from. Compare that to the first paid DLC (well, unless you didn't get Plant for free), Joker who references at least 3 different games in his series (more if you count updated re-releases as new games) with his tracklist.

At this moment, my only criticism of Sora's tracklist is that one of them is locked behind essentially an additional $60 paywall.

Clearly redeemed themselves is quite the subjective phrase to use when you're attempting to make absolute statements. You also don't seem to recognize me stating that the stingy IS in part 2's DLC, as well as pre-DLC with Cloud. As I said, Sugiyama is likely the one responsible for the lower quality Dragon Quest songs, but that's not the only instance.
I didn't bring up Sugiyama because I agree that the selection of DQ music is sad.

Sephiroth's pack has 6 "new" songs, and 3 that are alternate versions/remixes of songs already in the game or in that same pack. My main criticism regarding the FF music being stingy is that they exclusively stick to FF7 and it's sequel movie.
And yet you aren't complaining about Byleth having not one, not two but FOUR versions of the Three Houses main theme. Like, that's some padding if I've ever seen any, being only rivaled by DK having seven versions of the Jungle Level theme (except it took all five Smash games to get to that point rather than all at once like Byleth), and that comes from someone who wanted Byleth and enjoys the content they came with.

Sephiroth is far from the biggest culprit in terms of repetitions in the DLC and the songs it repeated are pretty dope. Getting alternate versions of the base game songs as well as both versions of One-Winged Angel is just really damn cool.

Like, I wouldn't be surprised if you're the only person here with a problem about us getting Advent Children songs.

Despite labeling Cloud/Sephiroth with the FF for Final Fantasy and not FF7, the tracklist has tunnel vision instead of celebrating the overall franchise they come from.
Except the game itself outright labels all their content as from the the "FF7 series", so this is consistent.

Compare that to the first paid DLC (well, unless you didn't get Plant for free), Joker who references at least 3 different games in his series (more if you count updated re-releases as new games) with his tracklist.
And that's something people actually complain about because Persona 5 has so many bops that simply didn't make it in because the devs decided to put stuff from 4 and 3.

Funny how you leave that out. :p

At this moment, my only criticism of Sora's tracklist is that one of them is locked behind essentially an additional $60 paywall.
That, I can agree with.

I grew up playing rhythm games, so I'm not too bothered about it (would've probably gotten the game anyway if I'm interested), but I can see why it's a problem for basically everyone who isn't me.

Last edited:
Hopefully, it winds up being like the Tockles spirit from Dragon Quest XI, where playing the demo also counts towards unlocking it. I doubt it (playing the demo didn't unlock the Monster Hunter Stories spirit), but they're both Square-Enix games so it's possible.

Hopefully, it winds up being like the Tockles spirit from Dragon Quest XI, where playing the demo also counts towards unlocking it. I doubt it (playing the demo didn't unlock the Monster Hunter Stories spirit), but they're both Square-Enix games so it's possible.
If save data from the demo carries over to the full game, then it's possible.

If not, then yeah, cough up those 60 bucks for a song that's so iconic to Kingdom Hearts that it absolutely should've been part of the base Sora pack.

Last edited:
I didn't bring up Sugiyama because I agree that the selection of DQ music is sad.
On second thought, that's also stingy as they could have paid the man for his work and instead opted not to. I'm not sure if it's Nintendo being cheap or Squeenix in this game's case though, could have been either.

And yet you aren't complaining about Byleth having not one, not two but FOUR versions of the Three Houses main theme. Like, that's some padding if I've ever seen any, being only rivaled by DK having seven versions of the Jungle Level theme (except it took all five Smash games to get to that point rather than all at once like Byleth), and that comes from someone who wanted Byleth and enjoys the content they came with.
I didn't bring up Byleth, because it's a Nintendo property and is ultimately irrelevant to my point as there was also absolutely no shortage of music from FE in the game before Byleth. There also was no need to mention repetition with DK because there are no DK DLC. I'm talking about Squeenix.

Sephiroth is far from the biggest culprit in terms of repetitions in the DLC and the songs it repeated are pretty dope. Getting alternate versions of the base game songs as well as both versions of One-Winged Angel is just really damn cool.

Like, I wouldn't be surprised if you're the only person here with a problem about us getting Advent Children songs.
It's not that I have a problem with AC songs, and for you to think that's the point makes me think you're trying to poison the well by inventing my argument instead of argue an actual point.

Except the game itself outright labels all their content as from the the "FF7 series", so this is consistent.
I'm not talking about the specific icons, like the one stating which game exactly the songs and stage are from, I'm saying the character icon. It uses a generic FF, implying that they're the Final Fantasy representatives, which makes it a damn shame that they only included music from 7 instead of iconic tunes from others in the franchise. Terry's songlist included songs from more than just Fatal Fury and KOF, so it's a shame Squeenix's didn't when they have some of the most iconic music in the industry.

And that's something people actually complain about because Persona 5 has so many bops that simply didn't make it in because the devs decided to put stuff from 4 and 3.

Funny how you leave that out. :p
Because it's irrelevant to me. It's your argument, not mine. I was happy they represented more than just one Persona game, which is what they should have done with Final Fantasy.

I looked into that one, but as far as I know, the Dragon Quest demo allows you to save and the KH one does not. It's having a save that unlocks the song in Ultimate, so it's highly unlikely.

Because it's irrelevant to me. It's your argument, not mine. I was happy they represented more than just one Persona game, which is what they should have done with Final Fantasy.
And you don't think there are people who are happy with FF7 getting all the spotlight? Your argument is as subjective as mine, and trying to make an objective statement of Squeenix being stingy when it's based on a subjective argument is pretty shaky at best.

Everything else in your reply is fair, so I'm not gonna reply to it. :p

Last edited:
And you don't think there are people who are happy with FF7 getting all the spotlight? Your argument is as subjective as mine, and trying to make an objective statement of Squeenix being stingy when it's based on a subjective argument is pretty shaky at best.

Everything else in your reply is fair, so I'm not gonna reply to it. :p
Yeah, the difference is that I didn't make the statement that you were just making **** up to have something to complain about because pass 2 redeemed it, and you did. If you're happy about it, that's perfectly fine. I like the music they chose, but I wish we would have gotten something more representative of Final Fantasy as a whole instead of retreading ground from a game that already had a rep.

Yeah, the difference is that I didn't make the statement that you were just making **** up to have something to complain about because pass 2 redeemed it, and you did. If you're happy about it, that's perfectly fine. I like the music they chose, but I wish we would have gotten something more representative of Final Fantasy as a whole instead of retreading ground from a game that already had a rep.
I still think Square Enix redeemed themselves with the DLC compared to the insanely lackluster base game content they had.

Hero's content was lackluster and the music selection is sad, but allowing four Heroes as alts was still a good move.

Even if all of Sephiroth's content is purely FF7-based, even if you wished there was content from more games, you can't deny that Final Fantasy absolutely deserved to have actual content of any kind. And that's exactly what Sephiroth brought.

And then we have Sora, the boy we thought was impossible because of Disney.

At this point, we can't say Square Enix is stingy anymore.

I still think Square Enix redeemed themselves with the DLC compared to the insanely lackluster base game content they had.

Hero's content was lackluster and the music selection is sad, but allowing four Heroes as alts was still a good move.

Even if all of Sephiroth's content is purely FF7-based, even if you wished there was content from more games, you can't deny that Final Fantasy absolutely deserved to have actual content of any kind. And that's exactly what Sephiroth brought.

Dont forget about The Bravely, Octopath traveler and Maná spirits. Square got a healthy amount of stuff.

It did deserve to have something, I still wish it hadn't been Sephiroth and that it hadn't been exclusively FF7. Despite the stinginess of either Nintendo or Squeenix with music (possibly both), Hero was still a better Dragon Quest representative than either Cloud or Sephiroth were Final Fantasy reps. Not only as you said, did he rep 4 different games as alts, but his moveset also drew from other party members much in the way Ness and Lucas's did. Hell, if it were up to me, I would have gone with Chocobo as a mascot of the franchise.

Despite the stinginess of either Nintendo or Squeenix with music (possibly both)
When it comes to music, it can always be the late Sugiyama. Squeenix is weird with music rights in that the composer also owns the songs they make, even if they stop working for the company or, in the case of the DQ composer, no longer with us since it'd be their estate who gets the rights.

So getting the stuff we got when it comes to Squeenix music was already a legal nightmare to begin with for all the Squeenix IPs we've gotten in Smash. I'd say Kingdom Hearts might have ironically been the easiest one to discuss music with since Yoko Shimomura worked many times for both Smash, making many remixes for the past three games, and other Nintendo games such as the entire Mario & Luigi series.

Last edited:
When it comes to music, it can always be the late Sugiyama. Squeenix is weird with music rights in that the composer also owns the songs they make, even if they stop working for the company or, in the case of the DQ composer, no longer with us since it'd be their estate who gets the rights.

So getting the stuff we got when it comes to Squeenix music was already a legal nightmare to begin with for all the Squeenix IPs we've gotten in Smash. I'd say Kingdom Hearts might have ironically been the easiest one to discuss music with since Yoko Shimomura worked many times for both Smash, making many remixes for the past three games, and other Nintendo games such as the entire Mario & Luigi series.
I don't believe Sugiyama would have outright refused to let them use his music, but since he's the one that produced it at his own expense, he wants to and should be compensated for it's use. If they chose not to pay for it, that's entirely on them.

I don't believe Sugiyama would have outright refused to let them use his music, but since he's the one that produced it at his own expense, he wants to and should be compensated for it's use. If they chose not to pay for it, that's entirely on them.
What if they simply didn't have the budget for Sugiyama's price? Is it still their fault?

Last edited:
What if they simply didn't have the budget for Sugiyama's price? Is it still their fault?
It's Nintendo and one of, if not their highest grossing franchise, there's no conceivable way they didn't have the budget to spend on DLC that they themselves chose. DQ11S had the orchestral tracks, I don't see why Nintendo couldn't get them too.

It's Nintendo and one of, if not their highest grossing franchise, there's no conceivable way they didn't have the budget to spend on DLC that they themselves chose. DQ11S had the orchestral tracks, I don't see why Nintendo couldn't get them too.
Just having enough money isn't a good enough excuse when this is a company that had multiple studios working on and funding multiple games simultaneously.

They can't just throw all their money into a Smash DLC because it's far from the only thing they're putting said money on. Heck, Sakurai did the Presents format specificially to avoid burning all the budget, showing that there were limits to how much he can draw from Nintendo's pockets.

And that's if it even is a money thing, to begin with; maybe Sugiyama just never budged no matter the amount offered?

We'll probably never know, but blaming Nintendo just because "they have money" is just pointing fingers on a situation that we just don't know enough about to reliably do any finger pointing.

Last edited:

It's been a long period of speculation, but after many years we now have our final character for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The final character is none other than Sora from Kingdom Hearts!

You can watch the full presentation here:

Sora comes with 4 alternate costumes, each of them based on his appearance from a different Kingdom Hearts game. His stage is Hollow Bastion and he comes with 9 songs from the Kingdom Hearts series.

Additionally, 3 new mii costumes were revealed during the presentation. They were as follows:
  • Octoling wig (Splatoon)
  • Judd hat (Splatoon)
  • Doom Slayer (Doom)

Sora - along with the mii costumes - will release on October 18th.

Author's Note: How do you feel about Sora being the final character? Let us know in the comments below!
i wonder if this has any connections to the mario movie?
Before the reveal of Sephiroth....

Fans: "OK, enough with the freaking anime swordsmen!"

Sakurai: "What's that? You want three more anime swordsmen?" :troll:

Seriously though, Sora was one of the last few characters I was actually hoping for. Glad to be seeing Nintendo giving SE the good ol' BJ. Wonder which of his children Sakurai had to sacrifice to the Dark Mouse in order to secure the rights.
highly doubt it but, maybe this has something to do with the mario movie?

It did deserve to have something, I still wish it hadn't been Sephiroth and that it hadn't been exclusively FF7. Despite the stinginess of either Nintendo or Squeenix with music (possibly both), Hero was still a better Dragon Quest representative than either Cloud or Sephiroth were Final Fantasy reps. Not only as you said, did he rep 4 different games as alts, but his moveset also drew from other party members much in the way Ness and Lucas's did. Hell, if it were up to me, I would have gone with Chocobo as a mascot of the franchise.
I get yoir point on FF as whole being better represented by a wider range of music from other FF titles. But I think you're kinda overlooking the fact that Cloud and Sephiroth are and have ALWAYS have been mainly used to represent FF7 specifically in just about anything they're in. Final Fantasy isn't like Dragon Quest in the sense that technically all the games more or less take place in around the same timeline. FF games are singular narritive experiences that change universes constantly to tell their stories.

The reason I'd assume that they decided to go with a simple FF instead of an FF7 icon is large in part due to.... well it just looks cleaner. As well as the fact that Cloud and Sephiroth are arguably the face of Final Fantasy as whole at least regarding the more modern FF games anyway. Cloud and Sephiroth represent their own specific chunk of the FF series. I have a very strong feeling that they are not the only Final Fantasy reps we will see in the future. Especially with how much more Square and Nintendo have been working together for this IP.

I get yoir point on FF as whole being better represented by a wider range of music from other FF titles. But I think you're kinda overlooking the fact that Cloud and Sephiroth are and have ALWAYS have been mainly used to represent FF7 specifically in just about anything they're in.
Joker only represents Persona 5, but they still had the decency to acknowledge other games via music. There's no logical reason they couldn't have done that with Final Fantasy while letting the jerks from 7 do their thing.

Final Fantasy isn't like Dragon Quest in the sense that technically all the games more or less take place in around the same timeline. FF games are singular narritive experiences that change universes constantly to tell their stories.
Dragon Quest worlds change constantly, sometimes they take place in the same world, but so do some FF games. If I recall, one of the characters in FFX2 alludes to leaving Spira to end up in FF7's world.

As well as the fact that Cloud and Sephiroth are arguably the face of Final Fantasy as whole at least regarding the more modern FF games anyway.
That makes me both sad and angry, as 7 has been overused and overrated likely due to it being many people's first game. There were better games before and there were better games after, yet it continued to get undeserved focus. It's infuriating.

That makes me both sad and angry, as 7 has been overused and overrated likely due to it being many people's first game. There were better games before and there were better games after, yet it continued to get undeserved focus. It's infuriating.
This is debatable, but then again i never played 13 or 15 so i cant really judge them.

This is debatable, but then again i never played 13 or 15 so i cant really judge them.
I wouldn't say either of them is better, but 9 was, 10 was, 12 arguably is. And that's all to say nothing of the two MMORPGs in the franchise. When it comes to games before 7, 5 was better, and 6 was definitely better.

I wouldn't say either of them is better, but 9 was, 10 was, 12 arguably is. And that's all to say nothing of the two MMORPGs in the franchise. When it comes to games before 7, 5 was better, and 6 was definitely better.
You realize these are all opinions, right? Just because you say them as fact doesn't mean they are.

Some people might enjoy 7 more than you enjoy 6 and other things like that because what makes a good game good is entirely subjective.

Last edited:
You realize these are all opinions, right? Just because you say them as fact doesn't mean they are.

Some people might enjoy 7 more than you enjoy 6 and other things like that because what makes a good game good is entirely subjective.
Yeah, and? I don't have to qualify all opinions with "I think" in order for people to recognize that it is in fact an opinion.

Well considering that Sugiyama didn't believe that we filthy westerners even deserved to hear his music in it's ideal quality, I'd be more than willing to bet he wouldn't budge for a game that includes characters designed by what in his mind are inferior humans.

And just to be clear, Sugiyama's beliefs are absolute trash.

Top Bottom