• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sora from Kingdom Hearts is the Final Character for Ultimate

sora smash banner.jpg

It's been a long period of speculation, but after many years we now have our final character for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The final character is none other than Sora from Kingdom Hearts!

You can watch the full presentation here:

Sora comes with 4 alternate costumes, each of them based on his appearance from a different Kingdom Hearts game. His stage is Hollow Bastion and he comes with 9 songs from the Kingdom Hearts series.

Additionally, 3 new mii costumes were revealed during the presentation. They were as follows:
  • Octoling wig (Splatoon)
  • Judd hat (Splatoon)
  • Doom Slayer (Doom)
1633444782506.png

Sora - along with the mii costumes - will release on October 18th.

Author's Note: How do you feel about Sora being the final character? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sari

Comments

Sword character, sure, but generic? I don't know if that is applicable here. He does not feel like any other sword character already in the game.
I dont how wielding a gaint key is generic, in fact that is one of the most unique concepts for a swordman

Its honestly hilarious with the whole "Square is stingy" thing and then they went and became the biggest contributor to smash ultimate.
Eh, the majority of criticism with Squeenix being stingy refers to music, and honestly, this doesn't change that. Cloud only got 2 songs, Hero only had 8 lower quality versions of DQ songs (likely because of the composer being a stingy prick), Sephiroth added 9 songs, including a few remixes of the same song, and Sora adds 9 songs. It's still a far cry to Terry's introduction adding 50 songs, or Kazuya's adding 39, especially when you consider how many iconic songs could have been included from Final Fantasy in general.

also I knew you'd conveniently go for the byleth vs corn argument. when i clearly stated "many" as in not necessarily all, but definitely a lot. in which case, take a simple look at corn's uair. And marth's Uair. And Ike's Uair. And roy's Uair. and Robin's Uair. And Chroms. And Lucina's. Notice anything?
I was agreeing with you there. I am guessing that you assumed that I was being sarcastic. But I was actually being literal. I completely agree with your opinion on the FE cast.

and that's just the FE characters. Add in seph and the bae blades, and you can clearly see where they recycled the animations. And this is true for a lot of them. They might tweak it here or there a little, but for the most part, many animations from the sword fighters are far too similar. And sora's falling right into that same category with some of his moves based on the presentation. They even gave him a counter, gee....wonder how many other sword fighter characters have a counter as their down special....?
I was just talking about his looks. Sora looks much more distinctive. I still have to check out his moveset. Would be a shame if he did not get the DLC treatment and instead just got a generic sword fighter moveset.

Last edited:
Sakurai deserves a 5 year long break after this grand finale. Everything was just perfect. I love that every single character, even the DLC, were there, I love the build up, I love Sora's entrance, I love when Simple and Clean played, I love Sora flying around the fighters all happily, and I especially love the handshake between him and Mario. This is definitely the greatest video game moment I've ever seen in my entire life and I couldn't ask for anything more. Bless you Sakurai, bless you. This was even more grand than when Ash won the Alola League and beat Tapu Koko.

Generic anime swordsman are everywhere in smash now. take one look at how many fire emblem characters their are. add in shulk, cloud, seph, and the bae blades(despite Pythra being the only DLC this round I wanted. ) and you can't seriously tell me with a straight face smash doesn't have a anime sword fighter issue. many of them even have many of the same/extremely similar moves animation wise cuz there's only so many ways you can swing a damn sword/sword like object. (fire emblem cast heavily guilty of this.)

But hey who needs originality? pluck another anime swordsman from a different game, copy/paste the movesets from a couple other anime swordsmen with some slight tweaking, and call it good.
Sora's reveal was rather unexciting to me too. And as a Fire Emblem fan, I think that they could do a far better job in regards to that part of the roster than they have, and the samey-ness is what a large part of the reason boils down to.

But I don't get why (well I mean I sorta do) people keep trying to peddle the idea that this is a "problem" that exists exclusively among sword-wielders, when it's not. There's a lot of similarity in moves for fighters that use hands/feet/etc to fight too. There's kind of only so many ways to swing a sword or deliver a punch or kick and all that. Not that every possible option has been tapped already, but there's limits.

like c'mon people

...You say, proudly bearing a Ganondorf PFP and Link username.
1. this account is literally over a decade old, long before the flood of anime swordsmen came in, so the name on it is kinda irrelevant.
2. Ganon only uses his sword for literally 3 moves. Not only that, but did you ever think that maybe I didn't like the fact that they copy/pasted two of Ike's moves and one of cloud's, into Ganondorf's smashes, and have been for years now supporting them giving ganon an original new moveset, and not just slower falcon? Just cuz I main ganondorf, doesn't mean I like what they've done with him in ultimate, or smash in general. I stick with him because I Like the King of Evil. But I've been wanting him to have a unique moveset ever since his first appearance in melee.

Sora being in and confirmed to be the actual winner of the ballot puts my mind at ease knowing I was 100% right in Bayonetta being a scam win. :jojo:

My friends wanted this character to death so I definitely understand the hype behind it. Definitely a good end for Ultimate.

Sora being in and confirmed to be the actual winner of the ballot puts my mind at ease knowing I was 100% right in Bayonetta being a scam win. :jojo:
Where is that confirmed?

It being confirmed is good news. I also knew that Bayonetta was not the winner. I highly suspect that Geno, Ridley, and K. Rool all beat Bayonetta considering the fact that they beat Bayonetta in community polls and were much more talked about than Bayonetta. Sora beating her is something I did not really suspect, but it would not surprise me either. I just never thought about that.

I think I've already said it on a couple of occasions, but Sora, in my opinion, is the best character to end Ultimate on. I speculated that everyone save a few sticks-in-the-mud here and there wanted him, and wouldn't you know, I was right! Particularly outside of the hardcore spec scene. A lot of us here wanted Sora, but most of the casuals wanted him too, from what I had gathered. And seeing as he won the ballot, my inclination about Sora was indeed correct. He was the most massive character, rivaled only by Chief I'd say. I am so, so happy he's the final choice! And Smash ends on the highest note possible for once! Well done, Sakurai and team. It's been an honor to follow the speculation all this time. Here's to the next game, though hopefully that's still years away!

An ultimate reveal to an ultimate ending, if I do say so myself.

Though I’ve never played Kingdom Hearts myself, I’m still excited for everyone who got their wish come true after all these years.

Eh, the majority of criticism with Squeenix being stingy refers to music, and honestly, this doesn't change that. Cloud only got 2 songs, Hero only had 8 lower quality versions of DQ songs (likely because of the composer being a stingy prick), Sephiroth added 9 songs, including a few remixes of the same song, and Sora adds 9 songs. It's still a far cry to Terry's introduction adding 50 songs, or Kazuya's adding 39, especially when you consider how many iconic songs could have been included from Final Fantasy in general.
Last I've checked, the Advent Children version of One-Winged Angel is not categorized as a remix, as it's the exact same song from the movie itself.

Last edited:
I'm cool with this inclusion. Even though the last KH game i played was 2.

I'm surprised I recognized almost everything, i thought this reveal was gonna be full of things from the newer games which i never played.

But this is Sora EXACTLY how I remember him.

I might get him someday.

I've never played KH, to be honest, and I'll admit I didn't vote Sora back in the Ballot. Even so, though... a part of me is glad he's here. The fact that four of Smash speculation's darlings - Ridley, K.Rool, Banjo and Sora - alongside so, so much more is just... incredible to me.

I may not be a Sora fan, or have ever even touched Kingdom Hearts... but I'm glad he's here at last.

Do we know anything else about the Ballot aside from sora winning? If so please tell me where zelda or kirby chars are placed!

Glad, he’s finally in. Part of me expected Sora to be the last character. Also expected there to be some salt from the smash community as well. Can’t please everybody I suppose.

As a kid my two favorite games were smash bros and kingdom hearts it feels amazing to have those 2 finally crossover even if in recent years my love for kingdom hearts has weakened.

Last edited:
It's not so much them being stingy as it is them not holding the full rights for the music used in most of their games. I dunno if this is a result of them hireing composers who're really good about their contracts or them supporting the idea that Composers should own their music, but them giving out 9-ish songs for each character (and 2 for Cloud) is in no way a result of them being stingy.

The Sakurai Presents. He said it himself. Did you not watch it?
I skipped a lot. I was mostly interested in the rundown of Sora's moveset. I like that he admitted to it, though. I was pretty sure that Bayonetta was just a marketing pick and not a fan pick, anyway.

My friends wanted this character to death so I definitely understand the hype behind it. Definitely a good end for Ultimate.
We get it, dude, Bayonetta is playable in more Smash games than Waluigi, let it go.

Do we know anything else about the Ballot aside from sora winning? If so please tell me where zelda or kirby chars are placed!
I think all we know at this point is that Sora was the #1 pick overall and that Bayonetta was the #1 pick in Europe (these were mentioned in their respective reveal trailers iirc).

And chances are we're not going to get more information about the ballot than that.

Gotta love the salt with tons of misinformation mixed in them.

1. this account is literally over a decade old, long before the flood of anime swordsmen came in, so the name on it is kinda irrelevant.
2. Ganon only uses his sword for literally 3 moves. Not only that, but did you ever think that maybe I didn't like the fact that they copy/pasted two of Ike's moves and one of cloud's, into Ganondorf's smashes, and have been for years now supporting them giving ganon an original new moveset, and not just slower falcon? Just cuz I main ganondorf, doesn't mean I like what they've done with him in ultimate, or smash in general. I stick with him because I Like the King of Evil. But I've been wanting him to have a unique moveset ever since his first appearance in melee.
Look pal, a sword is a sword, Ganon is a generic swordfighter, whether you like it or not. :troll:

They aren't revealing the full results to avoid companies/people being harassed by fans.

All we know for sure is that Sora was the highest-ranked newcomer (whether veterans were placed higher than him or not is unclear), Bayonetta was the highest-ranked newcomer that they could get at the time of Smash 4's development (since Disney, among other companies, wasn't likely going to play ball - I assume that characters who already had an active role in the game, like assist trophies or Ridley, were also ruled out), and characters like Chrom, Dark Samus, Castlevania characters, Ridley, and K. Rool did well on the ballot. (I assume Banjo and Kazooie did well as well, but I don't know if they were specifically mentioned)

Last edited:
They aren't revealing the full results to avoid companies/people being harassed by fans.

All we know for sure is that Sora was the highest-ranked newcomer (whether veterans were placed higher than him or not is unclear), Bayonetta was the highest-ranked newcomer that they could get at the time of Smash 4's development (since Disney, among other companies, wasn't likely going to play ball - I assume that characters who already had an active role in the game, like assist trophies or Ridley, were also ruled out), and characters like Chrom, Dark Samus, Castlevania characters, Ridley, and K. Rool did well on the ballot. (I assume Banjo and Kazooie did well as well, but I don't know if they were specifically mentioned)
But making one ballot is abit unfair i wouldve preferd to have one every year so that hype stuff doesnt overshadow anything also maybe a 1 Zelda and 1 Kirby char ballot wouldve been needed!

Top Bottom