• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sora from Kingdom Hearts is the Final Character for Ultimate

sora smash banner.jpg

It's been a long period of speculation, but after many years we now have our final character for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The final character is none other than Sora from Kingdom Hearts!

You can watch the full presentation here:

Sora comes with 4 alternate costumes, each of them based on his appearance from a different Kingdom Hearts game. His stage is Hollow Bastion and he comes with 9 songs from the Kingdom Hearts series.

Additionally, 3 new mii costumes were revealed during the presentation. They were as follows:
  • Octoling wig (Splatoon)
  • Judd hat (Splatoon)
  • Doom Slayer (Doom)
1633444782506.png

Sora - along with the mii costumes - will release on October 18th.

Author's Note: How do you feel about Sora being the final character? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sari

Comments

Welp, now we can have Chex Warrior, The McKids, and Android 21.
This pass is damned close to my worst case scenario. Side characters and Mickey Mouse boy. Steve was ok.

Before the reveal of Sephiroth....

Fans: "OK, enough with the freaking anime swordsmen!"

Sakurai: "What's that? You want three more anime swordsmen?" :troll:

Seriously though, Sora was one of the last few characters I was actually hoping for. Glad to be seeing Nintendo giving SE the good ol' BJ. Wonder which of his children Sakurai had to sacrifice to the Dark Mouse in order to secure the rights.

So this is it eh! Honestly im Disapointed considering how this Presentation was called you would suspect something anything like a game mode some skins or heck even 1 mii costume for kirby yet nothing!
A lot of people may call me greedy but remember im a big fan of kirby and zelda 2 big nintendo households and what did i get:
1 Boring stage i never play on
2 costumes skull kid was fine but the yiga shouldve atleast been moblins
Young link returns who is just uneeded
Some kirby remixes from a unimportant kirby game
some rips
i guess some dlc mii costumes like sans and ahem nothing else really
And i guess i voted for steve on the ballot but i was still relativly young when that happend (also i think i voted for bwd too) and nowadays i dont care that much about steve aside from the fact that minecraft is great!
And on the other Hand i dislike the new Adult link, and miis cant be resized

I am happy for you believe me i am! But i just got basically nothing and my requests where really tame too!

I'm not a fan of Kingdom Hearts in the slightest, so I was disappointed by seeing him in the game (Especially considering how many DLC slots have been spent on Square-Enix games and their characters). The one thing I was hoping to see with his reveal (Donald and Goofy in a taunt or win screen) didn't even happen, so I'm thoroughly let down.

On another note, he looks unbalanced as hell. Link's UpB that doesn't put you into special fall, followed by Bayo's multi-airdash attack without even needing a target in range? Sure would be nice if a certain Dragon Quest Hero could use their UpB without special fall, so they at the very least could protect themselves going up or going down.

I'm not a fan of Kingdom Hearts in the slightest, so I was disappointed by seeing him in the game (Especially considering how many DLC slots have been spent on Square-Enix games and their characters). The one thing I was hoping to see with his reveal (Donald and Goofy in a taunt or win screen) didn't even happen, so I'm thoroughly let down.

On another note, he looks unbalanced as hell. Link's UpB that doesn't put you into special fall, followed by Bayo's multi-airdash attack without even needing a target in range? Sure would be nice if a certain Dragon Quest Hero could use their UpB without special fall, so they at the very least could protect themselves going up or going down.
Its honestly hilarious with the whole "Square is stingy" thing and then they went and became the biggest contributor to smash ultimate.

I'm more excited for lunch then I am for Sora.
Honestly, I'd have rather DLC ended with Byleth. Secondary characters before primary characters kills my OCD, and Sora breaks the "video game only" rule.
2/10 Trash Fighter's Pass.

The moment the keyblade and the "Simple & Clean" track was played in the trailer, I got a lot of chills from my happy memories when I first played Kingdom Hearts.

Either ways thank you Sakurai and his team for all the hard work and support throughout the past three years and hope that "Everyone" will return for the next installment of Smash.

The moment the keyblade and the "Simple & Clean" track was played in the trailer, I got a lot of chills from my happy memories when I first played Kingdom Hearts.

Either ways thank you Sakurai and his team for all the hard work and support throughout the past three years and hope that "Everyone" will return for the next installment of Smash.
Depends if it cuts some stuff i like and doesnt add anything i love (which happend in 4 and ultimate) than ill pass (i mean i guess if i cant play ultimate anymore i have to pick it up so i beeter get ultimate a second time)

On a slightly unrelated note, i dont like how the Kingdom hearts games switch ports are only on cloud.

I guess that was the only way to fit KH3 on the switch but still.
True atleast make the final remixes playable without cloud!
Edit: Also maybe fix some of the heartless colours they really look worse!
Edit Edit: Also maybe make blabla Days 2 playable with the new cutscenes

Last edited:
Before the reveal of Sephiroth....

Fans: "OK, enough with the freaking anime swordsmen!"

Sakurai: "What's that? You want three more anime swordsmen?" :troll:

Seriously though, Sora was one of the last few characters I was actually hoping for. Glad to be seeing Nintendo giving SE the good ol' BJ. Wonder which of his children Sakurai had to sacrifice to the Dark Mouse in order to secure the rights.
Tell me that you’re toxic without telling me that you’re toxic.

I was so excited for a second, the imagery of the trailer could 100% have been Dark Souls. Sora is, however, the best possible way they could've ended Smash DLC in my opinion

The trailer (up until the Keyblade appeared) played out exactly how I envisioned a Solaire reveal. Literally to a T. Mario even looked like he was literally aboutta kindle that flaming sword.

Last edited:
I didn't expect Sora, primarily because Kingdom Hearts is not just Square Enix's property, but also Disney's; the developers had to find a way to remove all the Disney-related contents, but somehow, they managed to pull it off.

How did I know I’d see comments like yours? We literally got Sephiroth and Sora and people STILL use the lame “too many anime sword fighters” argument. You‘re allowed to be disappointed, but c’mon!
truth hurts don't it son?

Generic anime swordsman are everywhere in smash now. take one look at how many fire emblem characters their are. add in shulk, cloud, seph, and the bae blades(despite Pythra being the only DLC this round I wanted. ) and you can't seriously tell me with a straight face smash doesn't have a anime sword fighter issue. many of them even have many of the same/extremely similar moves animation wise cuz there's only so many ways you can swing a damn sword/sword like object. (fire emblem cast heavily guilty of this.)

But hey who needs originality? pluck another anime swordsman from a different game, copy/paste the movesets from a couple other anime swordsmen with some slight tweaking, and call it good.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, Mr. Sakurai. What an amazing work of art you've created.
You may be giving him too much credit. Surely he has a team of animators and programmers working on it, right? Regardless, the Smash developers are in it for the money. Your money is your thanks.

👎 another generic anime swordsman, yawn

game should be changed to super swordfighter bros.
It is a giant key, not a sword. And using a giant key with a Mickey Mouse key chain as weapon is far from generic.

Sora breaks the "video game only" rule.
Depends. Sora originates from Kingdom Hearts, which is a video game franchise. So Sora himself originates from a video game franchise. But of course, Kingdom Hearts is also a cross over with many other Disney franchises, most of which orignate from outside video games. And Sora's keyblade does have the Mickey Mouse keychain.

We had iffy things like this before, Shadow Ball, Ho-Oh, the Pokémon's voices, and Ash Greninja all originate from the anime. Personally I consider the rule to not be broken but because factually it is not broken; Sora originates from a video game franchise.

Though I hope that the rule will get properly broken sometime, restricting the roster to "celebrate video games" is the lamest way to celebrate I have ever seen. Since when are celebrations about restrictions instead of about fun? Do you also fast on your anniversaries?

(fire emblem cast heavily guilty of this.)
No kidding, sometimes I literally confuse some Fire Emblem characters with other Fire Emblem characters at the start of the match, learning only a few seconds in that I am fighting against Corrin or Byleth instead of Byleth or Corrin, respectively.

despite Pythra being the only DLC this round I wanted. )
Pyra and Mythra are as generic "anime" sword users as a generic "anime" sword user can be. Liking them really undermines your rant about generic "anime" sword users.

You may be giving him too much credit. Surely he has a team of animators and programmers working on it, right? Regardless, the Smash developers are in it for the money. Your money is your thanks.

It is a giant key, not a sword. And using a giant key with a Mickey Mouse key chain as weapon is far from generic.

Depends. Sora originates from Kingdom Hearts, which is a video game franchise. So Sora himself originates from a video game franchise. But of course, Kingdom Hearts is also a cross over with many other Disney franchises, most of which orignate from outside video games. And Sora's keyblade does have the Mickey Mouse keychain.

We had iffy things like this before, Shadow Ball, Ho-Oh, the Pokémon's voices, and Ash Greninja all originate from the anime. Personally I consider the rule to not be broken but because factually it is not broken; Sora originates from a video game franchise.

Though I hope that the rule will get properly broken sometime, restricting the roster to "celebrate video games" is the lamest way to celebrate I have ever seen. Since when are celebrations about restrictions instead of about fun? Do you also fast on your anniversaries?

No kidding, sometimes I literally confuse some Fire Emblem characters with other Fire Emblem characters at the start of the match, learning only a few seconds in that I am fighting against Corrin or Byleth instead of Byleth or Corrin, respectively.

Pyra and Mythra are as generic "anime" sword users as a generic "anime" sword user can be. Liking them really undermines your rant about generic "anime" sword users.
I can simultaneously like them but still hate the fact that they're generic anime sword fighters in a game filled to the brim with them. I wouldn't be too upset if they had been swapped out with someone with a more unique looking moveset. My only reason for liking them in smash is cuz I liked XC2.

also I knew you'd conveniently go for the byleth vs corn argument. when i clearly stated "many" as in not necessarily all, but definitely a lot. in which case, take a simple look at corn's uair. And marth's Uair. And Ike's Uair. And roy's Uair. and Robin's Uair. And Chroms. And Lucina's. Notice anything?

and that's just the FE characters. Add in seph and the bae blades, and you can clearly see where they recycled the animations. And this is true for a lot of them. They might tweak it here or there a little, but for the most part, many animations from the sword fighters are far too similar. And sora's falling right into that same category with some of his moves based on the presentation. They even gave him a counter, gee....wonder how many other sword fighter characters have a counter as their down special....?

Last edited:
Though not a character I really wanted, I feel like Sora was the right choice to end this game off on. It has this celebratory and positive energy that I don't think a lot of the other "crazy request" characters did, and this is coming from someone who was begging for Doomguy. With the way they've been handled, from each alternate being an entirely new costume and render, to how beautiful the final Ultimate reveal trailer was, I'm content. Alongside the clear removal of specific Disney references outside the Mickey keychain, it also is the perfect boundary-breaking character that stretches what a Smash character can be to it's limits.
I'm kinda peeved at the lack of first-party content that I'm interested in, ARMS was a cool game but not deserving of Smash in my eyes, and Xenoblade 2 will never be something I understand the hype over. I was praying for even a Mii costume for Rhythm Heaven, series truly deserves something more than three music tracks. But with characters like Steve, Terry, and Hero from a gameplay perspective, I feel like Ultimate's DLC was fantastic. I'll miss the hype of this game, but am really happy with how far its come.

Tell me that you’re toxic without telling me that you’re toxic.
Sorry you didn't get the gist, but the first part was a satirical joke. The second part was a sarcastic albeit supportive point on the fact that SE managed to get two reps in one pass and four overall, making it the most represented third party in Smash. As for the Disney reference, many anti-Sora fanatics asserted that Nintendo wouldn't be able to get the rights, or at least that they would be difficult to obtain. If you have no sense of humor, that's on you.

Reactions: Dan
truth hurts don't it son?

Generic anime swordsman are everywhere in smash now. take one look at how many fire emblem characters their are. add in shulk, cloud, seph, and the bae blades(despite Pythra being the only DLC this round I wanted. ) and you can't seriously tell me with a straight face smash doesn't have a anime sword fighter issue. many of them even have many of the same/extremely similar moves animation wise cuz there's only so many ways you can swing a damn sword/sword like object. (fire emblem cast heavily guilty of this.)

But hey who needs originality? pluck another anime swordsman from a different game, copy/paste the movesets from a couple other anime swordsmen with some slight tweaking, and call it good.
I’m telling you that “anime sword fighter” is an incredibly vague baseline for establishing characters, especially since a lot of them have COMPLETELY different movesets. Sure, Marth, Roy, Lucina and Chrom are 4 variations of the same moveset, and the 3 Links are similar, but you act like Link, Marth, Shulk, Cloud and Sora are all the same just because they’re Japanese characters with blades. I guess by that logic, Mario and Kazuya are the same character because they both fight with their hands. They aren’t even technically anime characters, they just have anime art styles.

Sorry you didn't get the gist, but the first part was a satirical joke. The second part was a sarcastic albeit supportive point on the fact that SE managed to get two reps in one pass and four overall, making it the most represented third party in Smash. As for the Disney reference, many anti-Sora fanatics asserted that Nintendo wouldn't be able to get the rights, or at least that they would be difficult to obtain. If you have no sense of humor, that's on you.
I’ll take the L on this and admit that the joke went over my head. My bad.

I'm not allowed to thank Sakurai now just cause I'm paying for the product?

I'm more excited for lunch then I am for Sora.
Honestly, I'd have rather DLC ended with Byleth. Secondary characters before primary characters kills my OCD, and Sora breaks the "video game only" rule.
2/10 Trash Fighter's Pass.
It's a good thing that Sora is a video game character then. Maybe you should consider the fact that your OCD is just irrational.

Last edited:
Top Bottom