• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOOOOOOO....what are we missing?

boss8

Smash Hero
Pros

-evade things by jus having no traction
-kill power,very dangerous
-a versatile troll move AKA (luigi cyclone)
-a 2 frame jab
-Range
-combos O__o

Cons

-recovery is really easy to exploit
-no traction,can't follow up off shield hits
-aerial mobility is pretty slow

i don't understand whats holding us back? maybe lack of activity? pushing the luigi metagame further? idk but i will soon be coming back to singles and giving it my all...jus gotta play patient,as much as i hate singles...i don't wanna see the amazing luigi fall any lower then he already is....such an amazing character.

btw Back roll>forward roll.

if you wanna roll forward,simple face the other direction and roll back..FREE UTILT!! haha

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
Nice thread Boss,awesome that youre coming back to singles seeing the potential u have with Luigi. I personally think that whats holding us back is indeed lack of activity and lack of patience. Because if there is one thing I learned when it comes to Luigi is being able to be patient when the situation asks for it. And lets face it, Luigi is almost always in a situation where the player needs to be patient. There are probably other factors aswell but patience is definitely something we as Luigi mains should be working on IMO.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I just think we're all stilll unexperienced or looking too much at other characters to improve with luigi in general. Also others need to learn mus with luigi.

That what I think we're missing.

BSP

Smash Legend
Pros

-Range
Compared to who?

Cons

-recovery is really easy to exploit
-no traction,can't follow up off shield hits
-aerial mobility is pretty slow
I'd add ground speed to the Cons too. Even Luigi's dash is pretty slow.

So what are we missing? Problem 1: :metaknight: Aside from that, people are realizing that you need to camp Luigi hard to shut him down.

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
I would also add lack of abusing our specials a bit more. Not to an extend where it becomes too predictable, but that depends more on the player IMO, because a character is only as predictable as the player makes him. Stuff like using our fireballs more as an arm extension, cyclone as an approach, upB OoS when possible etc.

me9595

Smash Apprentice
we could maybe use dash attack for edge guarding, that way it might be harder to punish
aw who am i kidding the dash attack is just garbage

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Compared to who?

I'd add ground speed to the Cons too. Even Luigi's dash is pretty slow.

So what are we missing? Problem 1: :metaknight: Aside from that, people are realizing that you need to camp Luigi hard to shut him down.
his dash is slow, but I think his fox trot makes up for it.

edit: yeah dash attack isn't good at all when the opponent is on the ground.

Napos

Smash Ace
yeah meta, Pool play is meta haven..

idk, everyone expects cyclone, fireballs, fsmash.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Good players.
was already mentioned.

I think another thing that luigis should know is that after Fsmash tilted up they can do another move very quickly because of luigi's IASA frames. Same applies to his aerials. There is a whole chart on what luigi can do with his aerials like fair to fair or dair to nair.

Jump dair to nair is a good on punishing get up attacks you just have to know the timing for it.

Knowing when to up b and use of a lot of mixups/mindgames w/e it is. Like your opponent could be at 70% they're going to watch out for up b. Problem is for them is they don't know when you'll use it.

So pay attention. You could be in situation where your opponent is holding shield and you are right next to them, but out of their grab range. there is only 4 things they can do spotdodge, roll away from you, roll behind you, or jump input attack etc.

Read the roll, spotdodge, and punish with up b. For the jump try fsmash or upsmash.

good examples imo of these kind of situations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUJix5fnFX4&feature=player_detailpage#t=609s

^I got the punish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lTQkfKSgkE&feature=player_detailpage#t=50s

I didn't get the punish, but see. Same situation. I'm sure boss would have got the up b :awesome:

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
A big problem for me is the approach. Yea luigi can use things like bair, down B and neutral B to approach, but they seriously pale in comparison to the higher tier's approch options. Especially marth and meta, effin hate those mu's as luigi.

WayV

Smash Rookie
I agree with Crews I know you can SH Fireball and Cyclone but people start to read me easier. I'm also having issues with approaching someone camping and having my d-throw combo being read.

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
I feel ya bros, approaching is a chore with the man in green. Just try to mix it up as best as u can, like double aerialing when possible and other times cycloning or something else in the same situation. Its hard and VERY frustrating but its doable IMO.

WayV

Smash Rookie
I watched the video and I'll use it frequently to refresh my techniques with Luigi. I never knew having Luigi & Wario as mains is so fun and so many techs to learn. I used to use Diddy Kong but he gets boring after you master his glide toss and he is only useful if you need bananas to beat someone in competitive play. My friends always leave the match whenever I use him so finding Luigi and Wario is a relief.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I watched the video and I'll use it frequently to refresh my techniques with Luigi. I never knew having Luigi & Wario as mains is so fun and so many techs to learn. I used to use Diddy Kong but he gets boring after you master his glide toss and he is only useful if you need bananas to beat someone in competitive play. My friends always leave the match whenever I use him so finding Luigi and Wario is a relief.
ah I see. Just note that you're luigi and you can kill at 50%

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
Well I've been using luigi for a while, and I notice a fun mindgame with jumping whith your back turned. His options include, but are not limited to:

Cylone
Jab
fsmash
sliding up/down smash
side special
reverse fireball
bair
nair
the occasional uair (idk if it's valid, it happened like once where it hit backwards)
empty jump
dodging

I don't know whether or not all that has already been established, but with gimmicks like that I find it pretty easy to get damage in, mix things up, and play a good keep away game versus some characters, making him an important character to keep around just in case. He's proven to be the only character I can play "away" with, and I feel that he's been underrated. Are there any other defensive aspects that can possibly be used?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I'd add lack of disjoints to his cons, he can get grabbed out of like pretty much anything it seems like.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Pressure is the single thing you need.

Successful pressure = movement + move & hitbox knowledge + creativity

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Pressure is the single thing you need.

Successful pressure = movement + move & hitbox knowledge + creativity
I think that's heavily MU dependent.

Edit: In regards to dash attack, I've found it to be pretty useful as a frame trap at low percents, I'm trying to get into the habit of saving my matches, so I'll try to put up an example of what I mean as soon I can.

Top Bottom