• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Homing Attack As a Viable Tool

Lucifroz

Smash Rookie
After seeing a couple videos online, my main, Sonic can now use the Homing Attack (Neutral :GCB:) as a mix up, an Edge-guard, and a follow up after doing a side :GCB: or down :GCB: to rack up more percent.

I was worried about the Blue Blur when moving into Smash Ultimate, but after understanding how Sonic works in Ultimate he's still a great character.

Since I'm maining him, gotta find out the matchups now. Any matchups you guys have problems with when using Sonic?
Thanks,
:ultsonic::060:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hello Lucifroz,

First off, welcome to Smashboards and specifically the Sonic boards ~

If making a new thread, please be clear and decisive in your topic. If discussing moveset, I recommend posting in the moveset thread. If discussing match-ups, I'd recommend making a match-up thread if you so desire, or asking in the FAQ.

Thanks! Best of luck, hope you enjoy your time here.

:093:

Lucifroz

Smash Rookie
Thanks Camalange! I'll go and post a match-up thread. Love your guides on Youtube

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Thanks Camalange! I'll go and post a match-up thread. Love your guides on Youtube
No problem. For the sake of conversation I'll leave this thread open for the specific use of Homing Attack in that case then.

dingeyeycl

Smash Rookie
I am having an issue with homing. If you do a weak homing on a low percentage opponent, I feel like it is punishable ON HIT, which sounds pretty dumb. There have been many times when I poke with it and the opponent actually gets out of hitstun before I get out of the lagging homing animation, and they just whack me with a fair/bair because it puts us right next to eachother. Is there any way to avoid this?

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
You would hate Brawl.

But also having moves be punishable on hit at low percent isn't all that uncommon in Smash.

Lucifroz

Smash Rookie
I find it more preferable for the mix up option even though I use the homing attack to get more percent.

Anubiz4Hire

Smash Rookie
After seeing a couple videos online, my main, Sonic can now use the Homing Attack (Neutral :GCB:) as a mix up, an Edge-guard, and a follow up after doing a side :GCB: or down :GCB: to rack up more percent.

I was worried about the Blue Blur when moving into Smash Ultimate, but after understanding how Sonic works in Ultimate he's still a great character.

Since I'm maining him, gotta find out the matchups now. Any matchups you guys have problems with when using Sonic?
Thanks,
for what ever reason i find myself having the biggest struggles with the mario's (standard and doctor)
and i find the homing attack just to risky and unrelialble especially against characters that are quick on their feet like captain falcon or greninja

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I LOVE homing attack in this game! I use it mostly on 2 ocassions.

Punishing projectile spammers.

And follow up to Down/Side B.

But also on the rare mix up to catch my opponent off guard. Or when opponent is about to land on a high platform.
Sometimes for recovery (only if I’m sure I won’t make it back with Up+B as my opponent is still recovering too).

I don’t think I’ve ever been punished for using it unless I whiff it.
It comes out so fast, it’s my favorite move in the game.

Top Bottom