• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Frame Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I've been waiting for Sonic's data to show up for a while now. Nicely done.

BTW, pretty sure HA's KB is different when charged..

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
This is much appreciated.
I've been waiting for Sonic's data to show up for a while now. Nicely done.
What are your thoughts in correlation to this and the moveset thread?
BTW, pretty sure HA's KB is different when charged..
Yeah, almost certain that shortening HA gives it less KB.

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Why is there even a difficulty bar? It sticks out like a sore thumb amidst all the hard data.

Also, how many of these were updated for each patch? I really like looking at all these and I'm just curious now how much of a pain that must be. Good thing you didn't start Diddy Kong's yet, lol.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Why is there even a difficulty bar? It sticks out like a sore thumb amidst all the hard data.

Also, how many of these were updated for each patch? I really like looking at all these and I'm just curious now how much of a pain that must be. Good thing you didn't start Diddy Kong's yet, lol.

Not much of it really, specials are really hard though.

I will double check HA, I don't remember it being changed.

Edit: There's nothing here indicating different KB values.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I will double check HA, I don't remember it being changed.
I could be wrong, but definitely would appreciate a follow-up on that one. Always seemed that a fully charged HA would kill earlier than one that was canceled halfway. Spins are tough to account for too because of charge and things like that...

I love the data for fastfall speed and all the non-obvious things outside of his moveset. What's the difference between soft landing and hard landing if you don't mind me asking? I know that landing gives you 2 frames of lag but didn't know there were different levels of landing.

It also just occurred to me that this is the Brawl portrait and not the Smash 4 one lmao I'm way too used to that smug stance.

Regardless, thanks again for all the extensive data. I have no means of doing this myself and it's something I really wanted to have for the boards. I always feel bad leaving these sort of things up to just Orochi, lol.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
HA definitely has more KB when charged.. No idea how that appears in the raw data, though (I'm guessing it's a cluster**** of a mess, considering the charges and such).

Hard landing happens when you fastfall a jump or when you fall from a big distance, even without fastfalling. Soft landing is pretty much the landing of a shorthop (non-fastfallen) or when landing onto a platform.

What tipped this to me was that video about platform cancelling:

That's a soft landing, IIRC. And I think no one was able to replicate it without hard landing, which makes the events of the video remain mysterious to date.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
HA definitely has more KB when charged.. No idea how that appears in the raw data, though (I'm guessing it's a cluster**** of a mess, considering the charges and such).
Knowing Sonic, probably.
Hard landing happens when you fastfall a jump or when you fall from a big distance, even without fastfalling. Soft landing is pretty much the landing of a shorthop (non-fastfallen) or when landing onto a platform.
I assumed it was something like that... Thanks for clarifying.
this game is dumb why do we even play it
What tipped this to me was that video about platform cancelling:

That's a soft landing, IIRC. And I think no one was able to replicate it without hard landing, which makes the events of the video remain mysterious to date.
Hmm...

I've been able to perform this as well when we first looked at it, but of course I have no recollection of if it was a hard or soft landing. I could revisit it.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Basically the game uses the 5% hit and probably adds damage per extra frame it's left to charge. The extra knockback you're seeing is because of the extra 7% damage that the move does (moves with similar BKB/KBG but different damage do different knockback).

Special data isn't that important anyway, you guys already know everything about it, and I don't think we'd find much useful information by knowing knockback stats of moves that don't KO until 500%.

A couple of notes:

• Side B has intangibility for 6 frames somewhere
  • Side B is cancellable really fast
  • Spring duration on the ground was nerfed by 5 frames
Also hard landing lag occurs when you autocancel a move also.

Huh. I always thought sonic was the living embodiment of the hit and run style.
I made the image in a rush because I had to go to bed. The good thing is that I can change it easily since I decided to start hotlinking from the site rather than reuploading to imgur.

This isn't 1996. derp

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Basically the game uses the 5% hit and probably adds damage per extra frame it's left to charge. The extra knockback you're seeing is because of the extra 7% damage that the move does (moves with similar BKB/KBG but different damage do different knockback).
Huh. Interesting.
Special data isn't that important anyway, you guys already know everything about it, and I don't think we'd find much useful information by knowing knockback stats of moves that don't KO until 500%.
HA can kill pretty decent actually given the right scenarios. It can even be combo'd into it. Although, I guess it won't really be killing anyway unless it's hitting them near a blastzone, so midscreen you're probably right. Almost anything in this game can kill by that logic, lmao.
A couple of notes:

• Side B has intangibility for 6 frames somewhere
  • Side B is cancellable really fast
  • Spring duration on the ground was nerfed by 5 frames
It's somewhere during the initial release of the hop, but obviously I don't know what frame it starts... Cool to know it lasts for 6 frames.

I wonder what the earliest frame it can be canceled at is :0 But yeah it definitely happens very early.

LMAO THAT NERF THOUGH
Such a bizarre change. So unnoticeable.
Also hard landing lag occurs when you autocancel a move also.
So much for it being a cancel.

t h i s g a m e t h o u g h

Good to know, at least.
Huh. I always thought sonic was the living embodiment of the hit and run style.
If anything maybe favor this instead of "keep away", but Sonic, I feel, is most perfectly described as "bait & punish".
I made the image in a rush because I had to go to bed. The good thing is that I can change it easily since I decided to start hotlinking from the site rather than reuploading to imgur.

This isn't 1996. derp
Do you need a file for the Smash 4 portrait? :p

Luig

Confused
I have used those 6 frames to go through projectiles like charge shot and arrows somehow, one time I dodged critical hit with it, my friend was so mad. xD I had never knew that uthrow had higher scaling than fthrow, considering fthrow kills earlier, and it seems that sonic has a very strong utilt.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I have used those 6 frames to go through projectiles like charge shot and arrows somehow, one time I dodged critical hit with it, my friend was so mad. xD
Yeah, we've had them since Brawl. I just didn't know the frame count.

Luig

Confused
I'm guessing invincible sdr in brawl and smash 4 comes from land within that .1 of a second, which is why bsd was a isdr.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I tried to get inspiration from Brawl sonic frame data thread.

Then I found out there wasn't any.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
This guide has been removed and is no longer available.

However, all the information is still present, as well as on the website, which is still an active link in the OP for all to reference.

I may include this thread or the site link in one of our stickied threads so it doesn't get lost in the sands of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom