• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic the Hedgehog will no longer be voiced by Roger Craig Smith

Roger.jpg

EDIT: On 5/26/21, Roger announced that he would be returning to voice Sonic the Hedgehog again.

-------------------------------------

Original article:

Professional voice actor Roger Craig Smith confirmed today that he would no longer be voicing the titular character of Sega’s Sonic the Hedgehog series. Whether he was actually done with Sonic was a bit unclear at first for many people. However Roger would later retweet and thank people for telling him they were sad to see him go which essentially confirmed his departure.

No official statement has been given on why Roger will no longer voice Sonic, however this all comes around the time of Sonic’s 30th anniversary. Some have speculated that Sega may be looking for a new voice for Sonic. This isn’t that far-fetched as Sonic had two different voice actors through the 2000’s (Ryan Drummond and Jason Griffith).

Roger first started voicing Sonic in 2010, where he provided the voice for a Sonic themed resort room in the U.K. He would get his first major appearance as Sonic in Sonic Free Riders and then Sonic Colors which both released in 2010. With the exception of 2020’s Sonic the Hedgehog movie where Sonic was voiced by Ben Schwartz, Roger has provided the voice for Sonic in all of his official appearances since 2010. These include all of the main Sonic games as well as Super Smash Bros 4, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, the Wreck-It Ralph movies, and just recently Puyo Puyo Tetris 2.

Outside of the Sonic series, Roger Craig Smith has voiced a plethora of memorable fictional characters. These include Ezio from Assassin’s Creed, Chris Redfield from Resident Evil, Deidara from Naruto, and many more. You can check out all of his fictional roles here.

Editor’s Note: What is your favorite Roger Craig Smith related Sonic moment? Let us know in the comments below!

Credits:
Editing: @Zerp
Graphics: @Zerp
Social: @Zerp

Last edited:
Sari

Comments

D
TBF I kind of predict it as Troy, Laura, and Travis are union (or haven't done anything anime related with some exceptions).

Don't want to sound Mean, but im kinda glad he no loger voices Sonic. He was my least favorite of the main 3 (Jason > Ryan > Roger) and no matter what game, he never sounded right to me.

I just hope his replacement is a worthy successor.

Don't want to sound Mean, but im kinda glad he no loger voices Sonic. He was my least favorite of the main 3 (Jason > Ryan > Roger) and no matter what game, he never sounded right to me.

worthy? Who are you to decide who’s worthy? That is up to SEGA

Roger is my favorite of the Sonics, but I can't say I think he's not replaceable. If they were to replace Pollock or Colleen as Eggman/Tails however I would riot.

D
(rummages through BTVA to find out who's voicing Sonic next)

for me would be tie between Ryan and Jaleel

worthy? Who are you to decide who’s worthy? That is up to SEGA
If Sega decides what is "worthy", then i don't have much hope for the next voice actor (insert every single **** up Sega has done with Sonic here)

BTW, By worthy successor, i mean someone who can be a good voice actor, even if i don't like Roger, he wasn't terrible (just because i don't like something doesn't mean it's bad) , and so i hope the the next voice actor is at least one par with him

If Sega decides what is "worthy", then i don't have much hope for the next voice actor (insert every single **** up Sega has done with Sonic here)

BTW, By worthy successor, i mean someone who can be a good voice actor, even if i don't like Roger, he wasn't terrible (just because i don't like something doesn't mean it's bad) , and so i hope the the next voice actor is at least one par with him
you can see how it sounds though

Top Bottom