• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I'm unaware of this being disused or not but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS46kkk6SBg

Anyone think Sonic can benefit from this tech?
It might be useful as an escape option, but Sonic doesn't really get any good follow-up combos from a footstool. The only things I can think of that would work are spring and dair, both of which have too much endlag (and in the spring's case, vertical distance) to match the potential carnage that someone like Mega Man can cause with it.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Why hasn't IGN died yet? In fact, why haven't the concept of game reviewing companies died yet? When it comes to video games, it should be up to the PLAYER as to whether or not the game is good, not some arbitrary reviewing company. Otherwise I would be able to call Tales of Zestiria a good game because critics said so.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Why hasn't IGN died yet? In fact, why haven't the concept of game reviewing companies died yet? When it comes to video games, it should be up to the PLAYER as to whether or not the game is good, not some arbitrary reviewing company. Otherwise I would be able to call Tales of Zestiria a good game because critics said so.
From my understanding, reviews from critics are no different than us giving our thoughts. However, I feel that reviewers don't get nearly the same amount of time to play the game as most people do. This is their job. They can only play so much before they have to move on to the next game. Reviews and word of mouth play a major factor on how successful a game, movie, etc will be. Just look at Batman v Superman. That movie had all the markings to make over a billion dollars at the worldwide box office: huge marketing campaign, Batman and Superman meeting up on the big screen for the first time, DC beginning to set up their DC Extended Universe, it having Wonder Woman, etc. However, because of the scathing reviews and awful word of mouth, BvS had a terrible second weekend drop, and the film never recovered after that.

Star Fox Zero also had a similar fate, though not as tragic. The game got wildly mixed reviews, and this divided a lot of people, which lead into a "Play it for yourself" campaign. This is why I label these types of games as "Milage May Vary." You may like it, you may hate it, or you might even be conflicted about it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with reviews, but not everyone is going to be good at explaining themselves (which is extremely frustrating), and can lead to GI's terrible and misinformed Sonic reviews. I'll always be an advocate of the "Play it for yourself" campaign, but if you played the game and happened to agree with the critics, then that's all that matters. Just don't go out of your way to make them stupid for liking/not liking the game and vice versa.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
From my understanding, reviews from critics are no different than us giving our thoughts. However, I feel that reviewers don't get nearly the same amount of time to play the game as most people do. This is their job. They can only play so much before they have to move on to the next game. Reviews and word of mouth play a major factor on how successful a game, movie, etc will be. Just look at Batman v Superman. That movie had all the markings to make over a billion dollars at the worldwide box office: huge marketing campaign, Batman and Superman meeting up on the big screen for the first time, DC beginning to set up their DC Extended Universe, it having Wonder Woman, etc. However, because of the scathing reviews and awful word of mouth, BvS had a terrible second weekend drop, and the film never recovered after that.

Star Fox Zero also had a similar fate, though not as tragic. The game got wildly mixed reviews, and this divided a lot of people, which lead into a "Play it for yourself" campaign. This is why I label these types of games as "Milage May Vary." You may like it, you may hate it, or you might even be conflicted about it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with reviews, but not everyone is going to be good at explaining themselves (which is extremely frustrating), and can lead to GI's terrible and misinformed Sonic reviews. I'll always be an advocate of the "Play it for yourself" campaign, but if you played the game and happened to agree with the critics, then that's all that matters. Just don't go out of your way to make them stupid for liking/not liking the game and vice versa.
Wow, you had a lot to say, Mr. Orton.

I never said critics are stupid for liking a game that I don't and vise versa, I'm just saying I don't listen to them. What I was trying to say is that critics shouldn't matter as much to me when it comes to games. I know why they're important, but I don't listen to them. The main reason being that they have to keep making reviews in little time, like you said.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Wow, you had a lot to say, Mr. Orton.

I never said critics are stupid for liking a game that I don't and vise versa, I'm just saying I don't listen to them. What I was trying to say is that critics shouldn't matter as much to me when it comes to games. I know why they're important, but I don't listen to them. The main reason being that they have to keep making reviews in little time, like you said.
I should have been more clear on what I meant on that last sentence. Often times in situations like Star Fox Zero, people on both sides often like to belittle each other, with one thinking one side is a bunch of mindless sheep for agreeing with the critics, and the other side thinking how blind, "nostalgic," or whatever reason there is for not agreeing with critical reviews. I prefer to be honest with myself, and if my view point happens to be congruent with a critic's review, then that just so happens to be the case. I don't agree with critics because one or two or however how many said that this is bad. I agree with critics because I might feel the same way they do, though I'll probably have different reasons for feeling the same way they do.

As for me having a lot to say, that's how I am. Admittedly, I've been trying to cut down on how much I say because some people think I go on for a little too long when I should have gotten to the point long ago, but I like discussing the details about multiple topics. I feel that I cover my bases by going into the details, regardless about how long I spend talking. I know I can be a mouth full, but I'd like to think I cover my bases at least decently.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
No no, it's fine that you said a lot as long as you don't unecessarily drag on your points, which thank God you didn't (my irritating parents do that ALL THE TIME and REFUSE TO CHANGE EVEN WHEN THEY SAY THEY WILL).

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
There's a lot more to be said here, but basically reviews are meant for people who are on the edge of buying or not buying a product. People who want a product will generally buy it even if it has a bad review, and people who don't want a product typically won't buy it even if it has a good review.

For people on the edge however, here's the problem:
The IGN review was focused more on using previous experiences with the franchise to determine the game's worth instead of focusing on experiences within the game itself.
This leaves the review as misleading because of bias, and that can kill reviews and revenue.
Some bias will always be present in when someone gives their thoughts on something, but the more objective reviews are, or the better they resonate with the customer, the better the will properly convey the qualities of the product.
Well, that's how I see things.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
There's a lot more to be said here, but basically reviews are meant for people who are on the edge of buying or not buying a product. People who want a product will generally buy it even if it has a bad review, and people who don't want a product typically won't buy it even if it has a good review.

For people on the edge however, here's the problem:
The IGN review was focused more on using previous experiences with the franchise to determine the game's worth instead of focusing on experiences within the game itself.
This leaves the review as misleading because of bias, and that can kill reviews and revenue.
Some bias will always be present in when someone gives their thoughts on something, but the more objective reviews are, or the better they resonate with the customer, the better the will properly convey the qualities of the product.
Well, that's how I see things.
Honestly, biased reviews are the reviews that I always skip, especially when the person reviewing the game doesn't even like the series the game is associated with. Of course they aren't going to like it! It's best to bring in someone that, while not completely unbiased, is willing to put whatever bias they have aside in order to give a fair review. Even though I hate Sonic Unleashed, my views on it doesn't impact the other games that use the Boost formula like Sonic Colors and Generations. Sure, I may have had a poor experience with Unleashed, but I find Colors and Generations to use the Boost formula much more effectively and the level design doesn't feel as restrictive as Unleashed's did.

I will admit that I use reviews sometimes to see if I should get a game that I was looking forward to. The most recent example I can think of is TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan. I wanted it so bad because there hasn't been a great TMNT game in a long time, and the trailers looked amazing. When the reviews came out and when I looked at gameplay, I was sad to see how it turned out. I only use reviews if, like you said, I'm on the fence on whether or not I should get the game. I'm not going to be on the fence with the majority of Sonic games because I love the franchise, and I'd rather play for myself to see what I think. That's just my two cents, though.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Tl;dr Why hasn't IGN died yet? They are literally on a completely new level of hate. X Play understood their reception; Gametrailers understood their reception (I know that they probably left for other reasons, but still). How the Grand Cardinal is IGN still trying to keep itself relevant? Every review they make is mediocre at best and at worst make me want to stab myself. Just die, IGN; die while you still have a crippled leg to walk on.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
But with all this new found information about how bias most reviews are, the question is now where am i going to find good places for reviews (especially for Soinc) that isn't Metacritic?

I honestly don't know where

Also, is it bad that before now i never knew why people hated IGN so much?

:135:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Watching gameplay sessions may be the best way to determine if you'll like the game nowadays. Many games get demoed online for promotion. The reviewers can say what they want, but the gameplay will speak for itself.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
That is true but then again, the player go always be terrible at games making the game look bad or worse the deliberately play bad to make the game look bad like IGN did for Unleashed.

Really, idk what to do

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
If you don't trust reviews much but you still want a point of reference for quality, your best bet would obtaining and comparing several reviews/references for whatever game you are curious of.
Taking a larger sample size and comparing them will show trends in what the game has to offer, even if the reviews are all drastically different.
Its like a big puzzle full of extra or irrelevant pieces. If you're willing and able to piece together the consistent parts of the reviews/references, chances are you'll get a good feel for what the game actually holds in store for you.

Or all the reviews could be totally misleading and convince you to making one of the worst purchase choices in history.
But hey, such is life.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
There's a lot of bias and underhanded shadiness in games journalism. And it's been around for at least a decade. The only difference nowadays is that people are starting to catch on, but we've still got a long way to go before it's enough of a force to actually disrupt the industry.

As for me, I play what I want to, and I only check reviews out of academic curiosity. Watching YouTube videos of games I'm interested in works far better at swaying my decision on a purchase than reading two pages of opinionated text.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
If you don't trust reviews much but you still want a point of reference for quality, your best bet would obtaining and comparing several reviews/references for whatever game you are curious of.
Taking a larger sample size and comparing them will show trends in what the game has to offer, even if the reviews are all drastically different.
Its like a big puzzle full of extra or irrelevant pieces. If you're willing and able to piece together the consistent parts of the reviews/references, chances are you'll get a good feel for what the game actually holds in store for you.

Or all the reviews could be totally misleading and convince you to making one of the worst purchase choices in history.
But hey, such is life.
Yeah true. I mean, while their analysis videos are very hit or miss, Gamexplain does a pretty good job at reviewing games and if not at least show good game play footage and try to play the game well.

Plus, there is always MetaCritic. That has a lot of different thoughts and would be the best place to find good reviews

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I have one more day of summer tomorrow and then I start my senior year. #classof2017. It will be better than the #classoffraudulent16.
I'm a Class of 2016 graduate. :/
I'm starting my first year of college in two weeks. I'm anxious, but I can't deny that I'm looking forward to it.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
You guys are making me feel old. I graduated college two years ago.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I'm a Class of 2016 graduate. :/
I'm starting my first year of college in two weeks. I'm anxious, but I can't deny that I'm looking forward to it.
Oh...... Well the fraud thing isn't for your school in particular lol. It's just cause I knew a lot of people in that year at my school and they all went to my school system since kindergarten and NONE of them got valedictorian, so I'm dubbing their year th class of fraudulent16. GL at your college though.
On another note, I rocked a North Park University shirt at my church today!

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
-> Spring is for College
-> Summer is for work to pay for college
-> Fall is for College
-> Winter is for work to pay for college
The vicious cycle of being a student.

Rucent

Only strive for first place.
Haven't talked here in awhile..

I can't wait to go back to college, but at the same time I am dreading having to put up with a new roommate when your best friend is no longer going to the same college. ;n; My sister is also going to my college, so I know I am going to have to take care of her.

This summer has been busy for me. I still need to finish some things that I want to have done before the semester starts, but I am making good progress. I tend to add stuff to the agenda when I don't need to though, like the extra 5 hours of work today on my day off when I could've just said no. Oh well, more work means more money.

Speaking of Smash stuff, I am going to the local tournaments in my area on the 15th and 21st. I don't get to go to them because I lacked transportation, but this time I made plans. I know I can win them, but I wanna tighten up some loose ends so I can go in more comfortably.

Anyways, I should probably get some sleep before I work.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
GUYS URGENT!!!
Can someone please tell me where i could watch One Punch Man for free. I prefer English Dub but it can be Eng Sub, that's fine

Please!!!

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
There's a simple solution to your problem-
Google it.
Or Adult Swim at midnight.
I think watching it online for free might technically be illegal, so this might want to be a search you do on your own?
It is a really nice show though, so I get it. Its like a great satire of overpowered super heroes.
Crunchy Roll might have it though. I think they are allowed to stream it for free.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
There's a simple solution to your problem-
Google it.
Or Adult Swim at midnight.
I think watching it online for free might technically be illegal, so this might want to be a search you do on your own?
It is a really nice show though, so I get it. Its like a great satire of overpowered super heroes.
Crunchy Roll might have it though. I think they are allowed to stream it for free.
Yeah i mean i've already had a look and the websites i found weren't all that good.
Yeah true. I mean, if there was somewhere i could purchase the show i would, but i just can't seem to find a place that sells it (at least not in Australia)

Okay i'll check that out

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
Gamescom seems to have no info on Sonic...

In other news, Germans seem to have trolled by having a poster that says Half Life: 3 Journalists who have played it.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Well speaking of Sonic, Sonic Twitter posted a gif that used this new Classic Sonic Model

Now people are saying this could be Project '17 Classic, but there is a problem with that; His fur is a different colour to the one Show in the Trailer (or that in general to Classic Sonic)

Edit:

So... what's with this model?

Last edited:
Top Bottom