• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
Well then, I watched it and am upset that Sonic Mania isn't for Wii U, but hey Project Sonic 2017 is coming for NX!!

A blog I read analyzing the trailer says that there is a chance that there will be no 2d levels, even with Classic Sonic being in there, and mania was only made for 2d fans.

It makes sense.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
"Sonic, you broke the sound barrier, sonic boom. You broke the time barrier, time boom". Yeah, I can't see anyone saying that to sonic. Sorry, but I have to say that Flash is the fastest thing alive. :GCCUR:ome :GCA: me :GCB::GCN::applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
What makes Sonic cooler than the Flash is that they don't jump the shark with his speed.

Canonically, I'm pretty sure it's been "proven" that the Flash has been "faster" than Sonic. Sonic is faster than the speed of sound (can break the sound barrier) whereas Flash is faster than the speed of light... But the whole concept of Flash going so fast that he can travel through time is something I pray never gets applied to Sonic without the assistance of the Chaos Emeralds.

:093:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
"Sonic, you broke the sound barrier, sonic boom. You broke the time barrier, time boom". Yeah, I can't see anyone saying that to sonic. Sorry, but I have to say that Flash is the fastest thing alive. :GCCUR:ome :GCA: me :GCB::GCN::applejack:
For some reason i can just imagine Scourge saying that to Sonic.

Also yes, Flash is definitely faster than Sonic. No arguments at all.

What makes Sonic cooler than the Flash is that they don't jump the shark with his speed.

Canonically, I'm pretty sure it's been "proven" that the Flash has been "faster" than Sonic. Sonic is faster than the speed of sound (can break the sound barrier) whereas Flash is faster than the speed of light... But the whole concept of Flash going so fast that he can travel through time is something I pray never gets applied to Sonic without the assistance of the Chaos Emeralds.

Yeah, Flash is definitely faster than Sonic (Flash is canonically faster than instant teleportation). And plus what gives Flash the ability to time travel i think has not so much to do with his speed but also his connection with the Speed Force (which they always use to basically explain everything illogical about the Flash)

But the whole concept of Flash going so fast that he can travel through time is something I pray never gets applied to Sonic without the assistance of the Chaos Emeralds.

Or the Time Stones/Time Post from Sonic CD

:135:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
For some reason I could see knuckles using the infinite jump glitch to reboot the sonic series. The boom team officially made that canon, so why not have knuckles do more with it?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I did another Source Gaming article recently.

http://sourcegaming.info/2016/07/22/social-media-sonic-more-than-a-meme/

It's the last one for now, but I had fun with them.

As for the new games, loving the look of them.

Sonic Mania has everything I've ever dreamed of for a Classic Sonic game, right down to fan-remixer Tee Lopes composing the soundtrack. It's going to be my perfect Classic Sonic game.

Project Sonic 2017 seems to be going back to a more serious tone which I have been waiting for since after Unleashed. But like Unleashed, it still looks like it will have plenty of levity. Classic Sonic is obviously gonna be cute comic relief, and when Modern Sonic gives him the thumbs up, you even hear a little cartoony "ding" noise. I don't think it looks like it's gonna be grimdark and edgy like people seem to think. There's nothing wrong with Sonic having a real crisis to deal with and taking it seriously as long as he still has his personality and tries to be optimistic and charismatic in spite of everything.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Also, as a Sonic community, it's our duty to name an advanced tech "Drop Dash".

I'm thinking whenever Sonic does a spin in the air and lands into a spin roll, we just call that a "Drop Dash" since that's literally what it seems to be in Mania.

I agree with this.
Guys, what if this is new Sonic game is like the Flash's Flashpoint comics?

I.e Sonic runs so fast that he breaks the time barrier (this time not meaning to) going back and stopping an event in his past happened, therefore causing a parodox and breaking the timestream and creating this universe where Eggman (or Eggmans) win.

That'd be interesting. I am genuinely interested in how Sega intends to play out this storyline.
A slightly darker story sounds exciting.
Just leave out the guns.
Please Sega.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I think i just realised why Sega may only have just Sonic playable.

Because last time characters like Tails and Knuckles were playable (or at least, one of the times) people were complain about having to play these characters instead of just Sonic (i.e Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heros). They complain about not going fast and not enjoying the levels in Sonic's styles

But that's just my 2 cents

I agree with this.

That'd be interesting. I am genuinely interested in how Sega intends to play out this storyline.
A slightly darker story sounds exciting.
Just leave out the guns.
Please Sega.
And Iblis

and any humans

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think i just realised why Sega my only have just Sonic playable.

Because last time characters like Tails and Knuckles were playable (or at least, one of the times) people were complain about having to play these characters instead of just Sonic (i.e Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heros). They complain about not going fast and not enjoying the levels in Sonic's styles

But that's just my 2 cents
Well, yeah.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
If Tails & Knuckles played similarly to Sonic in turn to how they did in older games, I don't think there would be a problem for them to be playable.
For example, playing similarly to Sonic, but being an optional choice for the stages and having their own traits that made getting around the stages interesting for them. Sonic 3 is a good example here.
I didn't dislike playing as Tails and Knuckles in the SA games (Excluding most mech stages from SA2), its simply the fact that they were a requirement rather than an option that hindered them a bit.
Honestly, Knuckles stages felt really fun most of the time. They didn't feel too restricted or slow when compared to other modes aside from Sonic's. Well, most of the time (Mad Space).

Of course, I'm already a little different than most Sonic fans to begin with. I've enjoyed games that others say were terrible (i.e. Unleashed, Storybook series, etc), so maybe my thoughts don't count. I dunno.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Although Sonic has actually been proving that he can go to the speed of light. Sonic Colors DS with an omega quote. Omega said that if Sonic kept running, he would surpass the speed of light or something like that. Also. Sonic is also confirmed of now being at the speed of light with a note Still not faster than Flash though..

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I enjoyed the music part of the event but didn't care for games announced though. I was personally hoping for the game mentioned constantly throughout the twitch stream but w/e.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Am I the only one that actually like mad space in sa2? The only treasure hunting level I don't like is the death chamber and the one with the forced time limit (forgot the name of it).

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Guys, what if this is new Sonic game is like the Flash's Flashpoint comics?

I.e Sonic runs so fast that he breaks the time barrier (this time not meaning to) going back and stopping an event in his past happened, therefore causing a parodox and breaking the timestream and creating this universe where Eggman (or Eggmans) win.

Pretty sure something like that happend at least twice in the Archie comics. The first time I can recall was when he turned into Ultra Sonic, which made him taller and get green eyes. The second was at the 251 Reboot.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I always defend Mad Space, lmao.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Wait, everyone here likes Mad Space?
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
We're talking Rouge's space level, right? I don't have the wrong level right?
That level gave me such a rough time getting my 180th emblem. Between the ridiculous gravity shifts, the vast space needed to travel to find the pieces, and then hard mode - Agh, not my slice of pie.
But hey, if its your jam, dance to it.
To be fair though, Security Hall was equally annoying for me.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I actually really liked the GC port of SA2. Its quirks actually made the game more interesting for me.
For example, the characters interrupting each other when speaking (Especially the first Sonic vs Shadow) felt like an additional layer of personality.
At the time.
Not so much now that I've learned it wasn't intentional. Oh well.
Also, I think its a given that nearly all of the music in Sonic games is godlike.

Man, i should really try and play Sonic Adventure 2, ay?

Yes. Now. Go. Do.

Last edited:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Okay i will.

Which version though? GameCube or PS3?

Dang man, I don't have all the answers.
Get whatever works best for you.
Though the originals had the SOAP ads. So that's a plus.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Wasn't so much directed at you but okay

Also don't have a sega dreamcast, so can't play the originals

But speaking of Soap, am i the only one who actually prefers Sonic's Soap shoes over his normal ones?

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
It's a matter of taste. I could live with either type of shoes on Sonic myself.

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
Do you happen to have good hair, and a good belly button? If the answer is yes, you are screwed....

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
What I like about the HD Ports of SA2 is the Chao Key Glitch. While you can still do it with Sonic only in GC (not sure about Dreamcast), the HD possiblilies are never ending.:4lemmy:

I actually like Security Hall. The time limit and safes never really bothered me. I can appreciate Mad Space's scale, but I admit it can be annoying to go through, especially the small planet.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I also liked Security Hall. Mad Space was alright but I much preferred Meteor Herd.

This is the first time I've heard of the Chao Key Glitch. Looks awesome.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
A bit late to the party, but I'm really excited about the games announced at Sonic's 25th anniversary event. While I didn't really get into Sonic until Sonic Adventure 2 (never owned a Sega console, though I had Sonic 3 & Knuckles on PC), I'm glad to see that Sega took the people behind the re-releases of Sonic 1, 2, and CD, and had them make an original game in that style.

I was hoping that we'd get a game in the style of Unleashed's daytime stages, Colours, or Generations, and while we didn't actually get any gameplay, it seems like Sega delivered on that front. I thought that they had a good thing going with that style of gameplay (no need to worry about struggling with the camera, or cheap bottomless pit related deaths), and I wanted to see them continue with that.

Don't get why Sonic Mania isn't releasing on any Nintendo consoles, but I can just get it on PC, and I'll definitely be getting the 3D game for the NX. As odd as it still sounds, Sonic games seem better-suited to Nintendo consoles.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Some of my local smash players and I just recently read the interview with Sakurai about Sonic's inclusion in Brawl.
The two things we took from it:
Sakurai admires single button simplicity,
and he's also played Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 as "references."
We couldn't stop laughing.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Some of my local smash players and I just recently read the interview with Sakurai about Sonic's inclusion in Brawl.
The two things we took from it:
Sakurai admires single button simplicity,
and he's also played Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 as "references."
We couldn't stop laughing.
So that explains why Sonic is the glitchest character in Smash. Sakurai was inspired from one of Sonic's most Glitchest games

Last edited:
Top Bottom