• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
So with the Nintendo Direct today came a little more Sonic Forces teasing. And it seems like there will indeed be a third playable character!

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Sonic Forces Bubsy out of Retirement.

Apart from Bubsy or an OC, my guesses were Focke-Wulf from Tails Skypatrol, Nyau from Phantasy Star Online 2, Fang the Sniper, or Antoine from the comics (especially post reboot).

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I think the thing that annoys me the most is everyone's rage about greenhill zone

I mean i get it, it's meant to be a new game and all but seriously is likes 8 seconds of game play

Chill the **** out fanbase. It is one stage out of many many more. And it's probably there for plot purposes. Like to be fair, i guess they could have used literally any other stage too but the point still stands

I found this youtube comment that just kind summaries everything up

I talked about this with another user. I want you to see the conversation, this is what I think about it: Him: How about they reuse Green Hill for the 40th time, but throw a bunch of sand everywhere? I bet there's no way they'd do th- ...Oh.

Me: and so? Comparing it with another franchises, most Mario games start the World 1-1 in the Mushroom Kingdom, all looking almost exactly the same, though I don't hear any complains. I'm kinda tired of seeing Green Hill Zone too, but I'm not complaining because I know those is just 1 stage, and of course the other will have an entire new look. And also this is like, what, a beta? There is also the possibility that the graphics here are just placeholders, this stage may not even be in the final game, since this is an early prototype only.
Him: Sonic the Hedgehog is NOT Mario. Part of what has been ruining him is how lately he's been trying to follow in his footsteps opposed to just being who he's supposed to. I don't care about the graphics and I don't care about what phase the game is in. The fact that they keep regurgitating the same aesthetics for 3 games already shows how uninspired and lazy the current Sonic Team is.

Me: Of course, but I'm referring to the things that Mario does that work. And I'm not really sure what you mean by "lately". The only game that (most) tries to incorporate Mario elements is Lost World, but it is expected since it was a collaboration with Nintendo, right? Aside from that, any other aspect that Sonic is trying to do, that Mario also does, are miscellaneous, insignificant aspects. You "should" care about phase the game is in (or was in), since these may be placeholder graphics (and by that I mean the Green Hill Zone models), meaning that this could be a test stage. And what If it's not? You cannot judge a development team just for something you seen in an early stage of development. The rest of the stages will be completely new, since Mania is already working on remaking stages, adding new sprites and completely new level desing. The first modern Sonic stage is exactly the opposite to lazy or uninspired. You can't say they keep regurgitating the same stages if you haven't played the full game. You just can't judge the game at this point, and believe me, the game won't have remade stages. As I said, this is the objective of another game.

Him: Not just Lost World. You could see how Colors had Nintendo influence. Hell, Iizuka even straight up said Colors was used to bring in the Nintendo audience. We don't know what it will offer. But going based on how much Sonic Team have reused old Stages to pander with nostalgia, I wouldn't count out the fame having other old Stages. If they were willing to bring it back for both Mania and this game, it's not out of the question. I'm sick of Sega making this series so self indulgent what's the point of celebrating the series existence every chance they get within the game? How are things ever going to progress If they keep playing it safe?

Me: But they just bring up old stages in spin offs (of course excluding Generations and Mania, but that's because it's their main selling point). They are playing it safe with the things we have seen and know about. For an example, it seems that the Modern Sonic gameplay will be exactly the same, though they said they are reworking the boost features, adding more pathways and platforming, etc. The same with Classic Sonic. Though there this new component and practically the 90% of the game that we don't know nothing about. They are just bringing new things bit by bit to see what the fans like, which I guess it's the objective of the new gameplay, instead of trying to make a completely new thing that none of us know nothing about. That is exactly what happened with the boost formula, the fans love it and Sega is bringing back what worked (though some people seemed to be hating something they asked for). Also there's a big difference between "Sega made a bad decision" and "Sega didn't made the thing I wanted". And, c'mon, this could be literally the franchise that has made more risks and tried more new things than any other, and has been criticized multiple times for that. There.

:135:

Last edited:

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
My guess is that Sega will reveal who it is at E3. A smart move on paper, but they're gonna be going up against the juggernaut that is the FF7 remake.

And I'm so happy that I'm not the only one who thought it was Bubsy! I wanted to link a screenshot of him in a spoiler tag, but Google image search was acting up.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I don't mind having Classic Sonic again. Modern Sonic is a given.
But I am genuinely concerned about the new character business.
Past experiences with new Sonic characters have been incredibly varied.
I mean, If it brings something significant to the table, then hey, great!
This game has been worked on since 2013, so perhaps Sega has had time to think this through.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
People have speculated that the character my be an avatar character (think sort of like Robin from FE) because mostly of the line "Join the Resistance" as in you are joining the Resistance literally.

Personally idk how to feel about this. I mean i like avatar characters and all, but Sonic OC make me nervous about what could happen if the third character is an avatar character

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I've been meaning to ask: do we have a Discord server? Seeing as it's on the rise and supposedly far less bloated than stuff like Skype, I think it makes some sense to have a place to meet up outside of these forums. At the very least, a secondary hangout in case the forums go down.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean if no one else is going to do it, I will.
Spoiler alert: the game is freaking gorgeous.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I hope they bring back the "pop" sound from when classic Sonic kills an enemy.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
While I love the footage and actually makes me really excited, i'm a little curious about the song choice.

I mean, why not just do another remix for Greenhill zone? (then again, i guess it's pretty self explanatory)

Also something i just notice. Classic Sonic doesn't actually jump properly. He just floats up from his default stance and then curls up.
This is noticeable at about 0:14 at 0.25 speed

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
Probably early development footage. One of those "gameplay shown is not final" type of situations.

In other news, here's a delightful high-quality rip I discovered:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Oh hey, I got a new phone, and I also got Fire Emblem Heroes. Game must have felt sorry for me, because it gave me a five star Ike on [one of] my first summon.

IMG_1047.PNG

In better news, I've changed up my Sonic playstyle and plan on using him more often.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Sonic..... has an awfully strong finger :/

Oh hey, I got a new phone, and I also got Fire Emblem Heroes. Game must have felt sorry for me, because it gave me a five star Ike on [one of] my first summon.
*slightly triggered

Last edited:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Sonic..... has an awfully strong finger :/

Is...is that... a bowling ball?I don't think Villager will be edge-guarding this hedgehog anytime soon.
Seriously though, Sonic Boom(the game) was terrible, but at least Sonic Boom(the show) is decent.
Its still Awkward, but it has its moments.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
BOY I SURE DO LOVE ME SOME FINALS. I HEAR ALL THE COOL KIDS ARE DOING IT.

In other news, I've been entertaining myself lately by shooting for top comments on KnowYourMeme and watching the ultra-feminist salt flow after the last episode of Samurai Jack aired.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
BOY I SURE DO LOVE ME SOME FINALS. I HEAR ALL THE COOL KIDS ARE DOING IT.

In other news, I've been entertaining myself lately by shooting for top comments on KnowYourMeme and watching the ultra-feminist salt flow after the last episode of Samurai Jack aired.
Feminist flow? Links, please; I'm bored, too, and I need something to look at.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Eh, that last episode was okay. The content definitely felt rushed though. If they're gonna do a romantic thing for Samurai Jack, I think it would have been better to draw it out a bit more. It certainly wasn't bad though.
On top of that, I'm also hearing that there are only 2 more episodes planned for the last season. I'm interested as to how they plan to wrap this up with only two more.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
Feminist flow? Links, please; I'm bored, too, and I need something to look at.
I wish I could, but the salt is rich with vulgarity, so unfortunately I can't post any links here. But KnowYourMeme has several post collages in the Samurai Jack image gallery, so if you head over there you'll easily get your week's worth of salt.

Eh, that last episode was okay. The content definitely felt rushed though. If they're gonna do a romantic thing for Samurai Jack, I think it would have been better to draw it out a bit more. It certainly wasn't bad though.
I feel like this is the big danger with 30-minute time slots: no matter how talented the writers, animators, and actors involved are, a smaller time frame runs a greater risk of cutting vital elements out of a story. The romance arc is passable, but all the subtext that implied it was even happening showed up in this episode, which really threw off everyone who expected a father/daughter relationship. If it was a 2-and-a-half-hour movie, they probably could have spread those clues all throughout the story and let the intended logical conclusion develop more naturally.

For what it's worth, though, that's literally my only gripe with the series so far. =/

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
There's a new Smash 4 mod called Artful Lander making the rounds. The author's stated goal of the mod is to increase the speed of the game and make offense more rewarding by reducing aerial landing lag, increasing shield stun, re-implementing dash dancing, and various other tweaks and changes.

It does look like fun in my opinion, but my big concern is that it's going to become Project M for WiiU. Thoughts?

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
There's a new Smash 4 mod called Artful Lander making the rounds. The author's stated goal of the mod is to increase the speed of the game and make offense more rewarding by reducing aerial landing lag, increasing shield stun, re-implementing dash dancing, and various other tweaks and changes.

It does look like fun in my opinion, but my big concern is that it's going to become Project M for WiiU. Thoughts?
There's nothing wrong with Artful Lander becoming the new PM. Project M started out as a little mod and then grew into something huge.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
The "Artful Lander" looks pretty interesting. My biggest concern would be all the wildly different mechanics that Sm4sh currently has, as the changes brought a new type of balance complexity.
Attempting to make a new Project M with Sm4sh as the base will likely require much more dedication than the original Brawl mod.
I do like some of what I'm seeing so far though.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
There's nothing wrong with Artful Lander becoming the new PM. Project M started out as a little mod and then grew into something huge.
...I should probably elaborate on what I said.

As much as I admire Project M, I'm fearful of what it represents in the Smash community. It's this idea, this almost fanatic elitism, that Melee is the best game in the series, and the only reason we should play the others is to compare them to Melee. With Brawl it made sense, because that game was kind of a competitive mess, but ignoring what it brought to the table (accessibility, a much larger scope, and a wider variety of things to do) is still a huge step backward for Smash as a whole.

Smash 4 struck a really good balance between what made Melee great and what made Brawl great while still iterating on the formula that made the series so awesome and successful in the first place. Why, then, is there this constant implied desire to go back to the way things were 15 years ago? If people want Melee, they can just play Melee. There's no need to change the future to fit the past.

This probably bugs me more than it should, but I liked Brawl in spite of its flaws (I'm a Sonic fan, so no surprise there) and I was sad to see it turn into the laughing stock it is today. I don't want the same thing to happen to Smash 4 just because "fans do it better."

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
...I should probably elaborate on what I said.

As much as I admire Project M, I'm fearful of what it represents in the Smash community. It's this idea, this almost fanatic elitism, that Melee is the best game in the series, and the only reason we should play the others is to compare them to Melee. With Brawl it made sense, because that game was kind of a competitive mess, but ignoring what it brought to the table (accessibility, a much larger scope, and a wider variety of things to do) is still a huge step backward for Smash as a whole.

Smash 4 struck a really good balance between what made Melee great and what made Brawl great while still iterating on the formula that made the series so awesome and successful in the first place. Why, then, is there this constant implied desire to go back to the way things were 15 years ago? If people want Melee, they can just play Melee. There's no need to change the future to fit the past.

This probably bugs me more than it should, but I liked Brawl in spite of its flaws (I'm a Sonic fan, so no surprise there) and I was sad to see it turn into the laughing stock it is today. I don't want the same thing to happen to Smash 4 just because "fans do it better."
I don't think that Artful Lander represents that at all. Since there's no wavedashing it could be its own thing (yes I know that there are issues with wavedashing in Sm4sh, but still).

While on the subject of Brawl, I guess if you'd remove MK and Icies you actually have a pretty good balance. What I don't like about the views on Brawl nowadays is that casuals are starting to hate it now because....reasons. Seriously idk what their problem is.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Since there is no real argument against it except the "purism" of the game (which is a bad one), we could try to reborn the game without ICs nor MK.
:196:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I think people just get too bent out of shape with what they want Smash to be, regardless of its current form.
I mean, sure, there may be some genuine gripes with current Smash; But that doesn't mean it needs to change (though I might appreciate some tweaks here and there).

Sm4sh seems to take some of the best of both worlds from Melee and Brawl. It has some of Melee, and some of Brawl.
At this point, I really don't think a "Project M" is necessary or warranted for the current version.
The reason that I appreciated Project M back in the day was because I felt Brawl's game balance needed some work (MK). Project M did that, but then took it a few steps further to make it more like Melee. Brawl didn't really need to be Melee. Neither does Sm4sh for that matter.
However, I've grown less and less fond of Melee over the years, so my thoughts on this matter may be biased against Melee a bit.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
btw, there was this mod, Balanced Brawl, that kept the whole Brawl engine, only removing some abuses like infinites and obviously tripping; and tried to implement as little changes as possible to characters to make the transition from vanilla to Balanced easy.
It was very polished, very high-quality, but very unpopular for some reason.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I think people just get too bent out of shape with what they want Smash to be, regardless of its current form.
I mean, sure, there may be some genuine gripes with current Smash; But that doesn't mean it needs to change (though I might appreciate some tweaks here and there).

Sm4sh seems to take some of the best of both worlds from Melee and Brawl. It has some of Melee, and some of Brawl.
At this point, I really don't think a "Project M" is necessary or warranted for the current version.
The reason that I appreciated Project M back in the day was because I felt Brawl's game balance needed some work (MK). Project M did that, but then took it a few steps further to make it more like Melee. Brawl didn't really need to be Melee. Neither does Sm4sh for that matter.
However, I've grown less and less fond of Melee over the years, so my thoughts on this matter may be biased against Melee a bit.
Minor tweaks indeed. Like bring in this guy:
IMG_1073.JPG

Heh, anyways, I agree that the smash fanbase should just come to terms with one another (if the Tales fanbase can have different opinions and be rational, why can't Smash?) instead of get their jimmies in a knot over some trivial human's slightly different opinion on a silly little game franchise.

Artful Lander doesn't have to be pm, and it clearly isn't. All it really did was reduce aerial landing lag and add dash dancing (and if we're gonna be technical here Brawl and Sm4sh have it already). And even if it does turn out to be the pm for Sm4sh, what's the real issue? Nintendo actually took some influence from pm and implemented it in Sm4sh (content, costumes, challenge, gameplay balance, balance changes, etc.).

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Minor tweaks indeed. Like bring in this guy:
I have no idea who that is. What series is he from?
When I said tweaks, I was referring to mostly smaller things; balance tweaks, frame rate fixes, and some problems with a few stages. Nothing major or game-breaking, but nice stuff anywho.

I think fan creations can help push forward official releases to make them even better, but the flip side is that sometimes fan work can dampen official works as well. In Sm4sh's case, I think Project M's success did make a mostly positive impact on the final product. So we may have to see what fans come up with next; it might just bring something new to the table. However, I'm content (mostly) with the current Smash. Active patching made the game much more attractive (Though I guess the patches are not so active anymore).

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
btw, there was this mod, Balanced Brawl, that kept the whole Brawl engine, only removing some abuses like infinites and obviously tripping; and tried to implement as little changes as possible to characters to make the transition from vanilla to Balanced easy.
It was very polished, very high-quality, but very unpopular for some reason.
Aw dude, Balanced Brawl was my jam! (Not the least of which was because you didn't need to mod your Wii to run it...)

I have no idea who that is. What series is he from?
Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia. For reference, he's got a Mii costume in Smash 4 already, but you can't blame Tales fans for wanting proper representation - especially since the Tales series is published by Namco Bandai.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
One the one hand, Coldsteel and Sonichu can now become canon.

On the other hand, Coldsteel and Sonichu can now become canon.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I'm not thrilled in the least bit that Original the Character is now going to be a canon character.
I mean, does...does the team at Sega know about the online community? This might not end well. My hype for the game just got shot down hard.
I dunno. Either way, literally everything about this game looks great so far excluding the Original the Character concept.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Bubsy might have been the better choice here...
Ugh, this is frustrating. I'm usually at least somewhat on Sega's side when they make odd decisions like motion controls and werehogs. Not this time though.

That said, at least the gameplay for Original the Character looks solid so far. Maybe don't judge a book by its cover? :ohwell:
After watching some reviews on Youtube, I think my overall opinion can be best summed up by the video review on the channel SomecallmeJohnny. He makes good points on this.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Are you guys serious?

I love the OC idea! I think it is brilliant idea by Sega. Seriously, who cares about the devienart and Tumblr fetishes. With the way the sega has implememnt the character, it is really well done in my opinion. Definetly better then just another sonic (then again I really am not a fan of the Hedgehog choice, out of which species can be choose)

Idk, maybe it's just my love for games with OC characters like Robin for Awakening or Skyrim or DQ9. I'm really excited for it.

Seriously, just quit all your complains until the game has come out or we actualyl have enough information to judge it on.

Top Bottom