• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

★ARKZ AGES★

Smash Cadet
NNID
ARKZ_AGES
Sonic Forces looks really good, glad the boost is back. The theme gives off this feel that the darker atmosphere of SA2-Unleashed is being combined with the lighter atmosphere of Colors-Lost World somehow.

Like I can imagine the lyrics, how Sonic knows he failed but is going to fix it with his redemption. Expecting an orchestral remix for the Final Boss.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Okay after watching the the HD trailer, I am a bit mixed

I mean it obviously looks like they are doing what made Generations so great. Though it does feel a little linear the level, it's only 40 secs of gameplay so I can just wait to see what more there is

What has me worried most is the Wisps. Now for the most part I don't hate wisp, in fact i really enjoyed them in Colours (minus a couple of them) However when they put them in Lost World, it what's terrible. They just felt forced too much, like I was forced to use them to play the game and they weren't even their to add to the plot. They were just there.

I mean if they have a plot related purpose in Forces and are an OPTIONAL choice when going through the levels i'm okay with that but if they are like what they did with Sonic Lost World (at least what they did with the 3ds version) then i will be very concerned.

Again just have to wait and see what happens

:135:

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
It's a bit early to tell, but if they're rehashing the gameplay of Generations I have zero problems with that.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
No yeah if that's the case, they game will be awesome.

It's just so long as they treat the wisps more like Colours (where it was often just an extra option that worked well) or like Generations (where you need it to complete they stages but it work well with the flow and was simple)

★ARKZ AGES★

Smash Cadet
NNID
ARKZ_AGES
Well, I'm almost certain the Wisps will function like Colors because Lost World had the Gamepad and otherwise can't be done with the standard controllers all consoles now have.

One thing I do like about the Wisps already in this game is that the Boost Wisps are back. Now you have to conserve boost a little. I liked that more than rings.

Last edited:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I need halp guys; I'm thinking about dropping sonic. Please halp, I can't slow down; I've got to keep going fast. PLEEZ!
Once you main Sonic, you don't go back.

In all seriousness though; it's really just up to what feels right, what's working, and what's not. Stuff like:
You feel like you want to do better, but the playstyle of the character is holding you back-
You find another character is more fun to play-
Another character fits your playstyle significantly better-

What are you thinking of picking up?

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Dear God I'm having a terrible month rn; I lose my brother to his new wife (which I'm happy for him, but I wanna see him more), I still can't get along with my childish parents even if I try, I might as well have lost an old friend because I wanted specific benefits from her, and now I'm about to lose my other main because of my dearth interest in playing him. Oh yeah, and btw, The Merc The Merc tell me WTF IS A BANTER?!?

It's cause I've been trying to imrpove my Pit for a while now to show that he's bette than what people give him credit for. And so far I've been some notable players in my region, including what is probably the best marth in my region (albeit with sonic and about 5 months ago, and he counterpicked falcon game 2, but I digress). In fact, I pretty much went all Pit at a few locals and got 5th in all of them.

I've picked up Cloud for doubles, but I have no interest in playing Cloud in singles because it's Sheik that is my problem character along with Fox, so a pocket Cloud won't do me good there. I've made the addition to make Mewtwo and Pikachu my secondaries, and I finally dropped my scrubby MK secondary last month (especially since that people are saying that fox is a losing matchup for him as opposed to being either even or slightly advantaged) and keep in mind that he was literally my day 1 character, so it felt like a tough choice (heck, it took me literally a YEAR to make a final decision on whether or not to drop him). Then I thought about picking up Sheik, which would go against my usual thoughts on my natural dislike for Sheik (she's boring, took no skill to use pre patch, and is overall a lame addition to the Zelda representation, even back in Melee).

Now I'm looking at Mario. People say that he has a lot of bad or at least annoying MUs, which I've never found true (I mean cmon, Kamui is NOT a "hard counter" to Mario; hard counters don't even exist in this game unless if you're Puff or Ganon) that and I've always liked the "jack of all trades" characters, so what's the problem with picking him up? Plus he also beats Sheik, goes even with Fox, pretty much covers the rest of Pit's bad matchups (sans Kamui, but I can get over that easier), and he's viable enough to use if I don't want to play the Pit ditto since Mario slightly beats Pit imo. However, I'm still concerned about Mario's problematic approach.

But back to Sonic, I've found it really hard to keep playing as him since his neutral isn't as good as Pit's most of the time (or at least is significantly different from Pit's). I use too many SH aerials with Sonic, which normally I get a lot off of, but I'm struggling with consistently continuing to do so now. It's not like in Brawl where it's easier to get away with since Sonic was one of the few characters in the game with consistently true combos. Here, I have to emphasize my ground attacks more than my aerial attacks. And what's even more grievous is that after all this time, I STILL can't get the timing on the spin dash invincibility frames. Yeah, in a game where I fan do things like Spinshots and ISDJs near flawlessly, I can't get the timing of the SD invincibility frames down. Many people in my region- both in FW and Indi- have told me that that's possibly my biggest problem as a Sonic player is that I'm NOT taking advantage of those stupid frames. At least with stuff like 2 framing or ledge trumping you can be a top player and never need to utilize those to the fullest (or even use them at all). It's just really unmotivating to keep up with all the new crap I have to utilize in my Sonic play. I miss the days where aggressive Sonic was the Sonic meta; he was still a top 8 character before campy Sonic became a thing.

Sorry for this tedious little monologue of mine and making this sound like a friggin therapy session. Like I said, I've had one hell of a stuttery start to the new year. Apart from Tales of Berseria being a phenomenal game so far (especially compared to the mediocrity known as Tales of Zestiria), my 2017 has thrown a lotta painful crap at me for no real reason. Maybe it's because of an aftershock from how disastrous 2016 was as a year, idk, but so far I'm not a fan of this 2017 I'm having. Still going better than my 2016 hands down, but not significant enough tbh. Sonic Forces news is definitely giving me more hope, though, tbh.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
There's a ton of reasons you could be struggling with Sonic and there's no way I could accurately pick out the individual reason(s). This is my failure of a try though.
...In fact, I pretty much went all Pit at a few locals and got 5th in all of them.
...But back to Sonic, I've found it really hard to keep playing as him since his neutral isn't as good as Pit's most of the time...
When I spent time practicing with only with Kirby/Mewtwo for a while with little Sonic practice, I became too used to different styles of play. I kept trying to do things as Sonic that were either out of sync or were poor options. This seems like it may be similar to your case of almost exclusively using Pit for awhile.
...It's just really unmotivating to keep up with all the new crap I have to utilize in my Sonic play.
Sonic is a character that requires a lot of work to learn and keep up with his developing meta/techniques.
It certainly can be frustrating, as I believe him to be the most straightforward character in the neutral, but the reason he is in the top 8 is because players took that straightforward characteristic and worked HARD to create positive results. (Especially in Brawl)
That said, Sonic is my second favorite VG character period (the other is a non-playable pokemon), so I naturally want to put effort in to have success with him. There's a different kind of energy when it comes to practicing with him for me than for other characters.
If you like a character, hopefully learning his abilities is less like homework and more like good-work.
I miss the days where aggressive Sonic was the Sonic meta; he was still a top 8 character before campy Sonic became a thing.
Sometimes aggressive Sonic works, sometimes campy Sonic works, and sometimes some other third Sonic works. Its not about following a single playstyle, its about adapting with your own form of the best playstyle for the other player.
I too like playing aggressive Sonic. Aggressive Sonic if fun. But aggressive Sonic tends to get losses for me.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

So i found this video and was just originally going to play him off as a whiny fan but after watching, he does bring up good point that is seems sad Sega might be too scared to do a pure 3D Sonic to avoid the babies of the sonic fan base and stasify the old school fans

What are your thoughts?

Dear God I'm having a terrible month rn; I lose my brother to his new wife (which I'm happy for him, but I wanna see him more), I still can't get along with my childish parents even if I try, I might as well have lost an old friend because I wanted specific benefits from her, and now I'm about to lose my other main because of my dearth interest in playing him. Oh yeah, and btw, The Merc The Merc tell me WTF IS A BANTER?!?

It's cause I've been trying to imrpove my Pit for a while now to show that he's bette than what people give him credit for. And so far I've been some notable players in my region, including what is probably the best marth in my region (albeit with sonic and about 5 months ago, and he counterpicked falcon game 2, but I digress). In fact, I pretty much went all Pit at a few locals and got 5th in all of them.

I've picked up Cloud for doubles, but I have no interest in playing Cloud in singles because it's Sheik that is my problem character along with Fox, so a pocket Cloud won't do me good there. I've made the addition to make Mewtwo and Pikachu my secondaries, and I finally dropped my scrubby MK secondary last month (especially since that people are saying that fox is a losing matchup for him as opposed to being either even or slightly advantaged) and keep in mind that he was literally my day 1 character, so it felt like a tough choice (heck, it took me literally a YEAR to make a final decision on whether or not to drop him). Then I thought about picking up Sheik, which would go against my usual thoughts on my natural dislike for Sheik (she's boring, took no skill to use pre patch, and is overall a lame addition to the Zelda representation, even back in Melee).

Now I'm looking at Mario. People say that he has a lot of bad or at least annoying MUs, which I've never found true (I mean cmon, Kamui is NOT a "hard counter" to Mario; hard counters don't even exist in this game unless if you're Puff or Ganon) that and I've always liked the "jack of all trades" characters, so what's the problem with picking him up? Plus he also beats Sheik, goes even with Fox, pretty much covers the rest of Pit's bad matchups (sans Kamui, but I can get over that easier), and he's viable enough to use if I don't want to play the Pit ditto since Mario slightly beats Pit imo. However, I'm still concerned about Mario's problematic approach.

But back to Sonic, I've found it really hard to keep playing as him since his neutral isn't as good as Pit's most of the time (or at least is significantly different from Pit's). I use too many SH aerials with Sonic, which normally I get a lot off of, but I'm struggling with consistently continuing to do so now. It's not like in Brawl where it's easier to get away with since Sonic was one of the few characters in the game with consistently true combos. Here, I have to emphasize my ground attacks more than my aerial attacks. And what's even more grievous is that after all this time, I STILL can't get the timing on the spin dash invincibility frames. Yeah, in a game where I fan do things like Spinshots and ISDJs near flawlessly, I can't get the timing of the SD invincibility frames down. Many people in my region- both in FW and Indi- have told me that that's possibly my biggest problem as a Sonic player is that I'm NOT taking advantage of those stupid frames. At least with stuff like 2 framing or ledge trumping you can be a top player and never need to utilize those to the fullest (or even use them at all). It's just really unmotivating to keep up with all the new crap I have to utilize in my Sonic play. I miss the days where aggressive Sonic was the Sonic meta; he was still a top 8 character before campy Sonic became a thing.

Sorry for this tedious little monologue of mine and making this sound like a friggin therapy session. Like I said, I've had one hell of a stuttery start to the new year. Apart from Tales of Berseria being a phenomenal game so far (especially compared to the mediocrity known as Tales of Zestiria), my 2017 has thrown a lotta painful crap at me for no real reason. Maybe it's because of an aftershock from how disastrous 2016 was as a year, idk, but so far I'm not a fan of this 2017 I'm having. Still going better than my 2016 hands down, but not significant enough tbh. Sonic Forces news is definitely giving me more hope, though, tbh.
Also about this there is a simple solution to all this.

Play Link :4link:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
There's a ton of reasons you could be struggling with Sonic and there's no way I could accurately pick out the individual reason(s). This is my failure of a try though.

When I spent time practicing with only with Kirby/Mewtwo for a while with little Sonic practice, I became too used to different styles of play. I kept trying to do things as Sonic that were either out of sync or were poor options. This seems like it may be similar to your case of almost exclusively using Pit for awhile.

Sonic is a character that requires a lot of work to learn and keep up with his developing meta/techniques.
It certainly can be frustrating, as I believe him to be the most straightforward character in the neutral, but the reason he is in the top 8 is because players took that straightforward characteristic and worked HARD to create positive results. (Especially in Brawl)
That said, Sonic is my second favorite VG character period (the other is a non-playable pokemon), so I naturally want to put effort in to make have success with him. There's a different kind of energy when it comes to practicing with him for me than for other characters.
If you like a character, hopefully learning his abilities is less like homework and more like good-work.

Sometimes aggressive Sonic works, sometimes campy Sonic works, and sometimes some other third Sonic works. Its not about following a single playstyle, its about adapting with your own form of the best playstyle for the other player.
I too like playing aggressive Sonic. Aggressive Sonic if fun. But aggressive Sonic tends to get losses for me.
These are actually reasonable possibilities. On another note, Izaw is working on his Art of Sonic video; so maybe when that's released I could recap some of the strategies I need to do and maybe even learn some new ones. I won't give up on Sonic yet.

Link sucks; no thanks.

Okay I know that he doesn't actually suck but people are already overhyping him and ZeRo already has him too high on his tier list for some reason.

Last edited:

★ARKZ AGES★

Smash Cadet
NNID
ARKZ_AGES
When all else fails, Link spam. You're bound to win a match eventually.

So i found this video and was just originally going to play him off as a whiny fan but after watching, he does bring up good point that is seems sad Sega might be too scared to do a pure 3D Sonic to avoid the babies of the sonic fan base and stasify the old school fans

What are your thoughts?

Wow, that is a good point indeed. It supports the whole 'Sega is too afraid to move away anymore' thing which is justified nowadays really since they can't please goddamn anyone if they change something about the game. I would like a fully 3D Modern Sonic game, but people would inevitably find something to ***** about. And if Classic Sonic isn't 100% replicated from the Genesis games/Mania, they immediately don't like it. And god forbid the game has a gimmick of any kind.

I'll never understand how the Sonic fanbase got so bad.

Last edited:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Sonic fans already get a bad rep thanks to ridiculous Sonic-related online content, but in terms of games, fans tend to be incredibly varied in what they want and enjoy in a Sonic game; and that's partially because so many different types of games have been made. For example:
Sonic's initial transition to 3D was clunky and awkward. Thus fans encouraged Sega to try something different.
Sega's varied experimentation and varied successes are likely the biggest driving points behind the divide.
Fans can't agree on what kind of gameplay a major Sonic game should consistently have(Whereas, say, major Mario games tend to focus on some form of consistent sandbox platforming, SM64/SMS/SMG/SMG2/SM3DW).

Last edited:

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
Here's another video with another, somewhat more cynical take on classic Sonic's inclusion. It's bigger and ramblier, but I guess that's what you get when you put four 20-something Sonic fans together on Skype. =P

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Can someone explain to me the story of Sonic Chronicles Dark Brotherhood and it's end?

Because every keeps speculating that Sonic Forces might be a sequel to it

Link sucks; no thanks.

Okay I know that he doesn't actually suck but people are already overhyping him and ZeRo already has him too high on his tier list for some reason.
Oh whoops ahah

There was meant to be a Toon in front of that Link my bad

Wow, that is a good point indeed. It supports the whole 'Sega is too afraid to move away anymore' thing which is justified nowadays really since they can't please goddamn anyone if they change something about the game. I would like a fully 3D Modern Sonic game, but people would inevitably find something to ***** about. And if Classic Sonic isn't 100% replicated from the Genesis games/Mania, they immediately don't like it. And god forbid the game has a gimmick of any kind.

Yeah i honestly wouldn't mind if they did a 3D sonic game with levels that weere like Seaside Hill Act too (the 3d parts at least) i think it would be really fun.
Actually this sort of makes me think this is what Sonic Lost World should have been like. I mean i enjoyed the games but the level design is what really killed it.

I'm with with, Sonic fans just seem to be able to find something so small and make a huge fuss over it

Sonic fans already get a bad rep thanks to ridiculous Sonic-related online content, but in terms of games, fans tend to be incredibly varied in what they want and enjoy in a Sonic game; and that's partially because so many different types of games have been made. For example:
Sonic's initial transition to 3D was clunky and awkward. Thus fans encouraged Sega to try something different.
Sega's varied experimentation and varied successes are likely the biggest driving points behind the divide.
Fans can't agree on what kind of gameplay a major Sonic game should consistently have(Whereas, say, major Mario games tend to focus on some form of consistent sandbox platforming, SM64/SMS/SMG/SMG2/SM3DW).
This pretty much yeah

Here's another video with another, somewhat more cynical take on classic Sonic's inclusion. It's bigger and ramblier, but I guess that's what you get when you put four 20-something Sonic fans together on Skype. =P

Huh these are pretty valid points, especially about the Marketing.

Like honestly, while it is great they are showing stuff, they aren't really showing enough to keep people interested

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Can someone explain to me the story of Sonic Chronicles Dark Brotherhood and it's end?

I might be off on the details, but Sonic Chronicles is about the Sonic characters trying to stop an army of echidnas (the same species that Knuckles is), known as the Dark Brotherhood, from conquering Sonic's world. (Sonic Battle also ties into that game's plot, as they're the ancient civilization that created Emerl from that game)

Sonic and company have to go to the Twilight Cage, the dimension that they're imprisoned in, to stop them, but when they return, the game ends on the cliffhanger that Eggman conquered the world in their absence.

Last edited:

★ARKZ AGES★

Smash Cadet
NNID
ARKZ_AGES
Actually this sort of makes me think this is what Sonic Lost World should have been like. I mean i enjoyed the games but the level design is what really killed it.
I remember a video I saw, I can't find it anymore, it was a hack for Lost World that put Rooftop Run in the game. And it came to my surprise that Sonic's movement was actually way faster on flat ground. The cylinder-wavy levels are what slowed it down. I say if with a few tweaks, and normally designed levels, I'd like to see the Lost World style return one day.

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte

All I can tell you is that Sonic Chronicles is a f***ing abysmal game that's worse than 06 and secret rings combined. Definitely doesn't need a sequel unless if they can understand how to make a good Sonic rpg. Also you should feel bad if you don't agree with me kappa.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I think Its safe for me to say to ignore anything that has to do with Sonic Chronicles.
That game is one of the explicit reasons that the Archie Sonic series had the big lawsuit to begin with.
The result is that Sega told the game developers to drop it and its original sequel (it was supposed to be a set of games in a series)
The creators of the game have stated that the story will not be continued as a result of the lawsuit and pressure from Sega.

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999

You've probably heard the important stuff, but the game starts with Eggman's latest plan failing and him seemingly dying in the process. One time skip later and it turns out that a mysterious group called the Marauders are stealing the chaos emeralds and kidnapped Knuckles. Once you rescue Knuckles, it turns out that Angel Island has been moved to around Metropolis Zone, Eggman's old base of operations. He's still alive by the way, and joins up with you to retake Metropolis. You succeed, but not before the Marauders take the Master Emerald into a wormhole in the sky, crashing Angel Island into Metropolis Zone. You give chase in a hastily constructed rocket and leave Eggman behind to hold down the fort.

The wormhole leads to the Twilight Cage, a dimensional prison for particularly violent races. You meet with the 4 other races who have been conquered by the Marauders and work with them to defeat the Marauders once and for all. You learn that the Marauders were a rival Echidna clan to that of Knuckles' that relied on magitechnology and created the Gizoids (Emerl). Since Perfect Chaos killed off the competition, the Marauders were all set to conquer the world until a giant mysterious space octopus pulls them into the Twilight Cage. You beat their faces in and escape from the cage with the Emeralds (I think).

It turns out that time in the Twilight Cage is slower compared to Sonic's World, so when they get back, Eggman has taken over the whole world and shoots down Sonic's ship.

The end.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Finally made a decision: I will not drop Sonic. But now he's goig to be a secondary instead of a dual main (Pikachu is my new dual main along with Pit).

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
6WX out at 34th at Civil War. Wrath advances into top 32 losers.

:093:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I remember a video I saw, I can't find it anymore, it was a hack for Lost World that put Rooftop Run in the game. And it came to my surprise that Sonic's movement was actually way faster on flat ground. The cylinder-wavy levels are what slowed it down. I say if with a few tweaks, and normally designed levels, I'd like to see the Lost World style return one day.
Aw man that would have been awesome to see.

I mean seriously, i really want to see what Generations would be like with Sonic Lost World Control scheme

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Sonic Lost World is one of my guilty pleasure games. I know the game isn't exactly 'good' but it has this undeniable charm to it that I thoroughly enjoy. The music is also incredible so that helps and despite being one offs I liked most of the Deadly Six.

But, yeah, I'm with you on seeing it return. Sadly it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Probably ever.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Aw man that would have been awesome to see.

I mean seriously, i really want to see what Generations would be like with Sonic Lost World Control scheme

I did manage to find a video of seaside hill done in lost world style. Its okay. It actually almost fits the stage pretty decently. I appreciated lost world's initial levels and pacing, but it quickly grew tiring with frustrating level design later on. I heard a patch fixed the difficulty of some later stages, but I had finished the game by then.
The gameplay had a similar feel to SA & SA2, so I occasionally get the urge to boot it up now and then to speed run a few stages or play the Zelda DLC stage.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I did manage to find a video of seaside hill done in lost world style. Its okay. It actually almost fits the stage pretty decently. I appreciated lost world's initial levels and pacing, but it quickly grew tiring with frustrating level design later on. I heard a patch fixed the difficulty of some later stages, but I had finished the game by then.
The gameplay had a similar feel to SA & SA2, so I occasionally get the urge to boot it up now and then to speed run a few stages or play the Zelda DLC stage.
Do you have a link to the video? I'd actually really like to see.

Yeah it really is the level design that killed the game. Out side the run button, i really liked the controls and wouldn't mind seeing it see a returned as an improved version .

(actually, what if the 3rd version of gameplay in Sonic Forces is lost World style?? That'd be interesting)

I guess just what i really want it s fully 3d sonic game :/. No classic, not secondary style, no 2d. Just rolling around in pure 3d

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Do you have a link to the video? I'd actually really like to see.

Yeah it really is the level design that killed the game. Out side the run button, i really liked the controls and wouldn't mind seeing it see a returned as an improved version .

(actually, what if the 3rd version of gameplay in Sonic Forces is lost World style?? That'd be interesting)

I guess just what i really want it s fully 3d sonic game :/. No classic, not secondary style, no 2d. Just rolling around in pure 3d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZ1S3TePOg
I think this is it.
Like I said, it was pretty decent, but not phenomenal by any means
You'll want to skip to the 10:00 minute mark for the Lost World segment

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hey NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy I've been meaning to ask

Is the reason you main Ike and Ryu cause they have headbands like Snake?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZ1S3TePOg
I think this is it.
Like I said, it was pretty decent, but not phenomenal by any means
You'll want to skip to the 10:00 minute mark for the Lost World segment
That's pretty cool. Actually really surprising how well Lost Worlds Controls fit it so well. Hell even the lop-de-lop has that same weird glitchy motion as in Heroes.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
That's pretty cool. Actually really surprising how well Lost Worlds Controls fit it so well. Hell even the lop-de-lop has that same weird glitchy motion as in Heroes.

That's because the loops are scripted to keep the player on track. If you notice, some hard turns are scripted as well.
I've always said the same thing about Lost World: The level design wasn't great, but the controls felt close to SA2. I appreciated the spin-dash button, but I didn't appreciate holding a button to run.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hey NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy I've been meaning to ask

Is the reason you main Ike and Ryu cause they have headbands like Snake?

Haha, well no. I actually grew up with Ryu and Snake, and Ike was the (secondary) main character of my first Fire Emblem. They all do share characteristics and since Snake is one of my favorite characters so they ask kind of fall in the range of characters I love. So, in a way, the headbands have something to do with it but not really.
That's because the loops are scripted to keep the player on track. If you notice, some hard turns are scripted as well.
I've always said the same thing about Lost World: The level design wasn't great, but the controls felt close to SA2. I appreciated the spin-dash button, but I didn't appreciate holding a button to run.
I appreciated the run button because it allowed me to slow down and take in the upcoming challenges. I think it could be implemented again though not as heavily. Maybe they put it in as a toggle instead of having to hold it down.

★ARKZ AGES★

Smash Cadet
NNID
ARKZ_AGES
I really liked the kick attack in Lost World. It gave a little more variety in tackling some enemies. I hope that comes back if anything.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I appreciated the run button because it allowed me to slow down and take in the upcoming challenges. I think it could be implemented again though not as heavily. Maybe they put it in as a toggle instead of having to hold it down.
The ability to select your speed at times definitely complemented level design in some stages.
But I would have been far more frustrated with it if Lost World's level design had been closer to other games in the series.
However, a toggle feature is actually a brilliant idea. The ability for a player to consistently move at a pace that feels right for them without needing multiple inputs at all times via toggle. I like that.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
You know what i want to see return? Parkour

No seriously, it is such a smart mechanic for Sonic and if done correctly (which tbh it was nearly done so in Lost World 3ds) could give so many opportunities and different routes to give to sonic

Yeah i notice that. It also points out how Sonic can't actually do loops properly due to Lost Worlds Physics and speed.
The run button to go faster wasn't bad (it's really no different to Boost) but the problem was how you had to use it to go fast. His walk was sooooooo sllllooooow...Like seriously, maybe if they made his walking speed more of a fast job and then the run button increase his speed further into the peel-out, then i'd be fin with that

Also the homing attack/double jump was a bit iff. I mean it wasn't the worst by any means,but i do prefer the Generations style homing attack and air dash.

Haha, well no. I actually grew up with Ryu and Snake, and Ike was the (secondary) main character of my first Fire Emblem. They all do share characteristics and since Snake is one of my favorite characters so they ask kind of fall in the range of characters I love. So, in a way, the headbands have something to do with it but not really.
Ah alright that's fair enough.

Just seem really coincidental that your favourite characters that you play in smash all seem to me super beef macho guys that take on challenges bigger then themselves alone and all have headbands

I really liked the kick attack in Lost World. It gave a little more variety in tackling some enemies. I hope that comes back if anything.
Slow only as it didn't freeze time and happen smoothly in one motion then id' be fine with it's return

After rewatching the Sonic Forces trailer I have a question: Why do I get the feeling that they're gonna crack a joke at 06?
Because Forces looks like Soinc 06 but done right?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know what i want to see return? Parkour

No seriously, it is such a smart mechanic for Sonic and if done correctly (which tbh it was nearly done so in Lost World 3ds) could give so many opportunities and different routes to give to sonic
I'm down for that. Especially if the Colors/Generations route is how they're going to go from now on. It'd be nice if you're going super fast to not let it turn into a dead stop by having Sonic run up the wall. It's be a slick feature to separate Forces from the other two.

Ah alright that's fair enough.

Just seem really coincidental that your favourite characters that you play in smash all seem to me super beef macho guys that take on challenges bigger then themselves alone and all have headbands
They have similar traits, yeah, and Snake is my favorite character so I would naturally gravitate to other two as well. Don't judge me! I'll fight you Uknown Hero!:005:

Because Forces looks like Soinc 06 but done right?

We'll see if it's done right or not. I'm excited for the game but from the first gameplay, it looks rough. Some of the animations are stiff and they didn't show off how the 2D gameplay fares. Like I know its early but people can't say it's done right from one snippet of gameplay. It looks like they got it right but we'll see.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I'm down for that. Especially if the Colors/Generations route is how they're going to go from now on. It'd be nice if you're going super fast to not let it turn into a dead stop by having Sonic run up the wall. It's be a slick feature to separate Forces from the other two.
Exactly. Like it would help to add in parts where Sonic has to cross a gap so he runs across a wall instead of the same old homing attack chain. Or so even for instance if you stuff a certain part (lets say the start of Rooftop Run Modern where the trick ring is) instead of run face first into the wall, you can climb up it and continue on the short cut. Grant at your time will be slower but still.

They have similar traits, yeah, and Snake is my favorite character so I would naturally gravitate to other two as well. Don't judge me! I'll fight you Uknown Hero!:005:
Oh no i was just pointing out the similarities in characters is all. It's a very common male arc type

Also you must have me confused with some one else. I'm just a simple Mercenary. I'm no hero anymore

We'll see if it's done right or not. I'm excited for the game but from the first gameplay, it looks rough. Some of the animations are stiff and they didn't show off how the 2D gameplay fares. Like I know its early but people can't say it's done right from one snippet of gameplay. It looks like they got it right but we'll see.
Oh i was just rhetorically answer his question. Though you can't say Forces doesn't resemble many other Sonic games Sega has done

Yeah it did look like there animations weren't quiet done (especially the pose Sonic pulls off after a Homing attack) but hey it was only 30 seconds of game play

Top Bottom