• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

★ARKZ AGES★

Smash Cadet
NNID
ARKZ_AGES
On a side note, there's no way the custom character didn't start as Boom Sonic. The grappling hook is literally the enerbeam and the other gadgets are very Boom like in general.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Seriously, just quit all your complains until the game has come out or we actualyl have enough information to judge it on.
:135:
I'm not the type to hate on new Sonic concepts. I've liked Secret Rings(sorta), the werehog concept, Lost world's pacing, I was (initially) excited for Sonic Boom, etc.. I don't get bent out of shape over new concepts.
Sonic Forces' Original the Character concept though, I'm just genuinely at a loss for.
As I said, the gameplay looks solid so far, so its at least worth giving a chance. But the connotations that follow with Sonic OCs are one of the big reasons the Sonic fanbase gets a bad rep, and why this decision is being met with such division.
Another thing to remember is that Sonic games typically don't follow similar JRPG formulas that made FE, DQ, or Skyrim good for character customization. (DQ9 was the bomb though)
The effects of full, unique avatars in those games have a wildly different effect in different game types.

Honestly though, I just want to play as Sonic. Classic or Modern? sure. Tails? &Knuckles? Why not?
But I don't really want to play as an OC character with gimmick gameplay that is very unlikely to remain relevant after this game. But if Original the Character is just optional, I think I'll be much more content.

However, this concept could also work out fine. As I've said before, we'll just have to see how it turns out.
And in all truth, I think the OC concept will make this game a financial success. The concept will attract a plethora of different players; that's good for Sega. Buuut the concept will also attract the internet. Which is :facepalm:.
And that's all I have to say on that.

Last edited:

★ARKZ AGES★

Smash Cadet
NNID
ARKZ_AGES
I think it's the better move they could have done really. This way the players can create the character and Sega doesn't have to make a new one and immediately scrap them since it's an avatar anyway.

There will probably be a selection of preset characters and spoken names in case a few people don't feel like creating one.

One thing I like is that different species have a different ability of some kind.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I'm not the type to hate on new Sonic concepts. I've liked Secret Rings(sorta), the werehog concept, Lost world's pacing, I was (initially) excited for Sonic Boom, etc.. I don't get bent out of shape over new concepts.
Sonic Forces' Original the Character concept though, I'm just genuinely at a loss for.
As I said, the gameplay looks solid so far, so its at least worth giving a chance. But the connotations that follow with Sonic OCs are one of the big reasons the Sonic fanbase gets a bad rep, and why this decision is being met with such division.
Another thing to remember is that Sonic games typically don't follow similar JRPG formulas that made FE, DQ, or Skyrim good for character customization. (DQ9 was the bomb though)
The effects of full, unique avatars in those games have a wildly different effect in different game types.

Honestly though, I just want to play as Sonic. Classic or Modern? sure. Tails? &Knuckles? Why not?
But I don't really want to play as an OC character with gimmick gameplay that is very unlikely to remain relevant after this game. But if Original the Character is just optional, I think I'll be much more content.

However, this concept could also work out fine. As I've said before, we'll just have to see how it turns out.
And in all truth, I think the OC concept will make this game a financial success. The concept will attract a plethora of different players; that's good for Sega. Buuut the concept will also attract the internet. Which is :facepalm:.
And that's all I have to say on that.
Yeah i understand where you are getting at. It's similar to what happens with Miis from time to time (all the hitler and **** miis and what not)
But still, from a financial view point and marketing, it is a really smart move. Seriously, who doesn't want to play as themselves in a Sonic game?
DUUUUUDE. DQ9 WAS AMAZING!!!! I SERIOUSLY WANT A REMAKE FOR SWITCH

But you do bring up an interesting point that i thought about. How do you make a Sonic game where one of the main characters isn't sonic? Sega has to be very careful not to make the OC overshadow sonic, otherwise it takes away from it being a SONIC game, but at the same time, they can't just make him unimportant and just, you know, there. Otherwise we may as well no have him/her
Speaking of Tails, it's weird how Foxes aren't a selection choice (which is sad since Foxes are my favourite animal :( ). Seriously i even came up with a cool power

Foxes: Able to use Speedy spin dash to traverse areas with speed.

(A cookie for anyone who gets the what I'm trying to reference)

But yeah, tbh, as much as i like the OC, i still really want to play other sonic characters. Seriously, Sega doesn't even need to give them a super unique playstyle or story. just make them basically a skin for Sonic and I will play them happily

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
If Original the Character is treated in the same way that Miis are treated in most games (Optional, but rarely ever required), then a fair chunk of my concerns probably slide off the map.
I would prefer that Sega use existing material to ramp up their games, in a similar fashion to what Sonic Mania appears to be.
Oh well.

DUUUUUDE. DQ9 WAS AMAZING!!!! I SERIOUSLY WANT A REMAKE FOR SWITCH
I think its been stated that DQ9 isn't going to get the remake treatment sadly. Something about focusing on new titles from here out if I recall correctly. The Switch would be an amazing console for its gameplay too, such a shame.
I played the hecks out of that game. Got 2 or 3 people together and spam leveled in dungeons that only spawned Liquid Metal Slimes on some floors.
Good times.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
If Original the Character is treated in the same way that Miis are treated in most games (Optional, but rarely ever required), then a fair chunk of my concerns probably slide off the map.
I would prefer that Sega use existing material to ramp up their games, in a similar fashion to what Sonic Mania appears to be.
Oh well.
Yeah, i guess i could see that working a little bit better then how it is. Thought it's not like they still couldn't do it

I think its been stated that DQ9 isn't going to get the remake treatment sadly. Something about focusing on new titles from here out if I recall correctly. The Switch would be an amazing console for its gameplay too, such a shame.
No... no...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! OH GODS, NO!

They can't do this.... I want my HD DQ9.... Noooo....

I played the hecks out of that game. Got 2 or 3 people together and spam leveled in dungeons that only spawned Liquid Metal Slimes on some floors.
Good times.
Oh, Metal Slime grind was a pain in the ***

But seriously though, DQ9 is one of the few RPG that I actually don't mind having to grind in (and I haaate grind with a passion)

What class/classes did you normal have your OC as in it?

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
What class/classes did you normal have your OC as in it?
I almost always play as support classes in multiplayer games. I think I played healer for a bit until my friends leveled up, and then switched to an Armamentalist to focus on buffs for end and post game.
The Armamentalist class is kinda meh by the time you get him (The Fource is really difficult to utilize correctly also), but we could do a few neat things by having me be that class.

For one, the Armamentalist Class functions like the old SpellSword class; they naturally get swords, shields, and chain armor. I equipped a full set of healing armor (Power shield, Sacrosanct armor, Uber Life Sword, Etc...) and basically made myself an un-killable support class. Not to mention the Armamentalist's Coup-de-Grace sped up leveling. Gotta go fast and all.
Sadly, my friends and I didn't manage to 100% the game before the Wi-fi drops quit. Since some quests required the Wi-Fi services, we missed out since we started a bit late.

Level grinding was fine. We found a special dungeon map for that. What we hated was the drop percentages for some quest items. We would farm for a single quest item for 2 hours in some cases. Even when we found out how to perform RNG abuse, it was incredibly time consuming. Very frustrating.

It was the first game I used an action replay for!
I honestly don't blame you. I managed to plow through maybe 80% of the game's content all legit like, but when your character is Lv.99 with 10+ level resets and you're stuck on a quest because the item just won't drop...yeah. I used an AR at some point too.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I almost always play as support classes in multiplayer games. I think I played healer for a bit until my friends leveled up, and then switched to an Armamentalist to focus on buffs for end and post game.
The Armamentalist class is kinda meh by the time you get him (The Fource is really difficult to utilize correctly also), but we could do a few neat things by having me be that class.

For one, the Armamentalist Class functions like the old SpellSword class; they naturally get swords, shields, and chain armor. I equipped a full set of healing armor (Power shield, Sacrosanct armor, Uber Life Sword, Etc...) and basically made myself an un-killable support class. Not to mention the Armamentalist's Coup-de-Grace sped up leveling. Gotta go fast and all.
Sadly, my friends and I didn't manage to 100% the game before the Wi-fi drops quit. Since some quests required the Wi-Fi services, we missed out since we started a bit late.

Level grinding was fine. We found a special dungeon map for that. What we hated was the drop percentages for some quest items. We would farm for a single quest item for 2 hours in some cases. Even when we found out how to perform RNG abuse, it was incredibly time consuming. Very frustrating.
Huh that's pretty neat. i never really was a support class type, at the very least not in terms of healing. More so Armamentalist for the elemental buffs (which i actually found really useful). But outside that yeah I'm with you that they where every... meh. I most stuck with offensive/Stat support classes, being a Solider/Thief hybrid (one time it was a Solider/Minsteral hybrid)

I never got to play with any friends but with my in game team, it normal consisted for offense class (usually Solider/Gladiator), a defensive Healer (always Priest/Paladin) a magic user (always a Sage because then it was also another healer) and the fourth.... honestly i could never and a constant fourth character type. It usually involved being a stat changing support, but i can't remember if i had them as a Ranger or Armaentalist....

ahah, i was never good with the dungeon maps (i'm a terrible looker) so post game, i usually went to slime hill for my grinding

Oh gods, i hate item collect quest in any game. Thought at least with dragon quest 9, you knew where certain items where exactly, unlike other RPGs that just give a very general vague area where the item may or may not be (*glares at Xenoblade Chronicles)

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
In other news
Press 9

"DO IT!!!"

Edit: Dudes I just realised something

Scourge the Hedgehog is offical canon in the Sonic Universe because of Original the Character in Forces

:O

Last edited:

★ARKZ AGES★

Smash Cadet
NNID
ARKZ_AGES
So, did anybody see the Samurai Jack finale? Without spoilers, it was kind of eh. The last shot makes a great wallpaper though.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I saw it! And yeah, it definitely could have been better. I mentioned in an earlier post that the 30-minute time slot was starting to lead to some pacing issues, and it definitely showed up in this episode.

All the same, I was far from disappointed by how things ended. In spite of the timeslot limitations, it did what it set out to do, and it did so admirably - no loose threads (unless you care about fridge logic) and an uplifting, if bittersweet, final note. Samurai Jack, for all that it's worth, is properly concluded, and Genndy's not doing take-backs.

That being said, I might try an experiment in the near future: taking every Season 5 episode and splicing them together to make a 3 & 1/2 hour-long supercut, just out of curiosity for seeing if that helps with the pacing issues. If I do go through with it, I'll let you guys know how it turns out, seeing as YouTube might not allow me to upload and share such copyrighted material. >_>

Last edited:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I've heard that there may be one more episode in the works for Samurai Jack, but take that info with a grain of salt.
The episodes were rushed, but the ending felt like it should somehow. I was okay with it.
It really is a shame that they could only plug out 10 more episodes. The typical feel of Samurai Jack was a series that took its time, and they could have done so much more with just 2 more episodes to spread the story across.
I certainly wasn't disappointed with the last season though. Not as much as some of CN's other reboots.

★ARKZ AGES★

Smash Cadet
NNID
ARKZ_AGES
Episodes 1-3 are the best thing I've seen on television in years. This season was great, but those first three episodes were god tier.

Last edited:

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I have a new reaction image for those awkward moments when I profess an unpopular opinion.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
If you guys consider this inappropriate please tell me and I'll remove any evidence it even happened at all.
[EDITED]
:196:

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
If you guys consider this inappropriate please tell me and I'll remove any evidence it even happened at all.
:196:
I think I can let the gif slide but the comic is a bit much.

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Can we discuss how pure of a work of art that Sonic Mania trailer is? I'm gushing. It's absolutely wonderful. I feel so #blessed
That trailer is so cool! I love the animation and the upbeat vibe it gives off.

In other OTHER news:
accurate honestly

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I honestly love the CD art style. It was always my favourite for Sonic (hell even his CD design is my favourite). i'd pay good money if we go a tv series that had art style

Also, breaking news guys, plot leaks have revealed how Eggman defeats Sonic in Sonic Forces

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I honestly love the CD art style. It was always my favourite for Sonic (hell even his CD design is my favourite). i'd pay good money if we go a tv series that had art style

Also, breaking news guys, plot leaks have revealed how Eggman defeats Sonic in Sonic Forces

No it isn't you imbecile; this was the plot of Sonic Labyrinth.

★ARKZ AGES★

Smash Cadet
NNID
ARKZ_AGES
Thank Christ Sega didn't take the risk of having Sonic Mania cost any more than $20-$25 dollars. I don't doubt it is great but anything more for a 2D retro style platformer would have been a dealbreaker to be blunt. USF2 hasn't been done any favors.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
No it isn't you imbecile; this was the plot of Sonic Labyrinth.
I complete forgot about they did that in Labyrinth XD

now I'm just imagining Robotnik saying something like

"Slow shoes, courtesy of Eggman enterprise. They're emitting a high frequency pulse that is disabling your speed. You won't be going fast for quite a while"

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I edited a video for Crunchyroll about the history of Tyson Hesse and his work on the Sonic Mania trailer.

Thought you guys might enjoy it!

Top Bottom