• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sup guys, just dropping this here for any Mania fan (everyone? lol)

Still not playing smash, tho
I just realized you have <1,000 posts. How have you managed this?

FIVE OUTTA FIVE IT'S A MASTAPEECE
This was an amazing review. Immediately made me feel terrible about mine.
Gotta go fast.

:018:
Indeed.
The fact that Sonic replied is what makes it.

I forgot to post here, but I actually did a review for Crunchyroll of Sonic Mania before its release. I got the game a week early and dodged ALL SPOILERS but if you're interested, you can watch below.

Hope you're all enjoying Mania, everyone ~

This game is amazing.

:093:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I forgot to post here, but I actually did a review for Crunchyroll of Sonic Mania before its release. I got the game a week early and dodged ALL SPOILERS but if you're interested, you can watch below.

This game is amazing.

Honestly, i know it doesn't mean much, but i prefer your review over dunkey's just for the fact that you didn't hark on about "No good Sonic games" and just focused on the one at hand. You mention Sonic's slightly tainted history brief, then moved on.
Not to say dunkey's was bad, but it just felt a little to much like every other main stream reviewer. Yours was more down to earth

But that's just my meaningless opinion

:135:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Honestly, i know it doesn't mean much, but i prefer your review over dunkey's just for the fact that you didn't hark on about "No good Sonic games" and just focused on the one at hand. You mention Sonic's slightly tainted history brief, then moved on.
Not to say dunkey's was bad, but it just felt a little to much like every other main stream reviewer. Yours was more down to earth

But that's just my meaningless opinion

It means a lot actually, thank you!

I think where mine falls short is that it lacks personality/enthusiasm which dunkey's work is always brimming with. I worked really hard on the script and tried to make as grounded of a review as possible though, so I'm glad that came through.

Thanks!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Camalange Camalange
A bit off topic. Do you freelance or do work for Crunchyroll? I've noticed through your Twitter that you're often associated with them.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Have you guys seen this mod project for making Smash 4 more balanced amoungst the the cast? I honestly think it's pretty cool and definitely should get some support to help build upon it

https://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/5956
Patch notes:https://docs.google.com/document/d/11PQ4phsZ9E9rbDkqrTQnwZdZ0db5k_oxquRz_i98crU/edit#

It means a lot actually, thank you!

I think where mine falls short is that it lacks personality/enthusiasm which dunkey's work is always brimming with. I worked really hard on the script and tried to make as grounded of a review as possible though, so I'm glad that came through.

Thanks!

Ah, no problem at all mate.

Honestly don't feel bad about the enthusiasm thing. It just comes with time. Dunkey is a comedian and like most he needs the enthusiasm to go with his sarcasm. You'll eventually get to that level if you. I believe in the heart of the cards

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
I mean, this is maybe the 5th different project I've seen that tries to re-balance the cast, but really it's as good as it can be right now without over-touching ****

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
There was an argument that I remember reading a while back that was pushing the concept that slightly unbalanced gameplay mechanics could be good for certain kinds of games.
The argument went something along the lines of 'as long as nothing is clearly broken, a slight lack of balance can promote player growth in terms of strategies, skills, etc..'
I dunno though. I could still appreciate a few tweaks to the current game. A couple buffs, maybe a few soft nerfs here and there...but I think the current state of the game is mostly fine regardless.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I mean, this is maybe the 5th different project I've seen that tries to re-balance the cast, but really it's as good as it can be right now without over-touching ****
Huh really? This is only the first one I've seen.

There was an argument that I remember reading a while back that was pushing the concept that slightly unbalanced gameplay mechanics could be good for certain kinds of games.
The argument went something along the lines of 'as long as nothing is clearly broken, a slight lack of balance can promote player growth in terms of strategies, skills, etc..'
I dunno though. I could still appreciate a few tweaks to the current game. A couple buffs, maybe a few soft nerfs here and there...but I think the current state of the game is mostly fine regardless.
Isn't that basically Project M in a nutshell?

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I just realized you have <1,000 posts. How have you managed this?

This game is amazing.

Haha yeah, when I stopped playing Sm4sh I guess I just automatically stopped posting here... =/

Awesome review, Cam! It was probably very difficult to do that with only GHZ, CPZ and SPZ available to use. I've just finished mine, actually (took practically a month, heh). It's in Portuguese, however, but whenever I'm finished with the English subtitles I might post it here... Though it's a 50-minute review/analysis/theory video LOL

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Isn't that basically Project M in a nutshell?
In effect.
But the point I wanted to make was that Smash 4 was the first Official Smash to have balance updates regularly.
And even if Nintendo isn't really interested in competitive venues like some others, I think the changes they did make left Smash 4 in a pretty decent spot in terms of balance.
Most of the changes I would propose for the current state would be small things at best. And looking at it as objectively as I can, there doesn't seem to be a lot of things that absolutely need changing.
That leads me to believe that doing an overhaul of balance changes isn't as enticing as it was for Brawl with Project M.
Doesn't mean some can't be interesting though. I still do like seeing ideas bounce around.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
My problem with most fan-made balancing projects is that they seem to want to change as many things as they can, from buffs on moves that were already good, nerfs on moves that weren't very good on a top tier character, tweaks to moves that didn't need to; even parameters like weight, fall/walk/run speeds and accelerations.
:196:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Ai yai yai; sonic mania and marvel vs capcom infinite have been too much fun for me rn. Not to mention that I bought Kingdom Hearts 1.5 for my PS4, so that's a thing, too.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Can well talk about this for a minute

In effect.
But the point I wanted to make was that Smash 4 was the first Official Smash to have balance updates regularly.
And even if Nintendo isn't really interested in competitive venues like some others, I think the changes they did make left Smash 4 in a pretty decent spot in terms of balance.
Most of the changes I would propose for the current state would be small things at best. And looking at it as objectively as I can, there doesn't seem to be a lot of things that absolutely need changing.
That leads me to believe that doing an overhaul of balance changes isn't as enticing as it was for Brawl with Project M.
Doesn't mean some can't be interesting though. I still do like seeing ideas bounce around.
Oh definitely. outside of 64, Sm4sh is the most balanced Smash to date. Will i do appreciate people who try to do their own balances to make the game even more balanced, if they game was to remain as it was, I'd be fine with that. Honestly, they only changes I would 100% want is a nerf for Bayo and Cloud and a Buff for Shulk

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Can well talk about this for a minute
Hooters desperately trying to win back their millennial customer base by shamelessly promoting video games.

Honestly, they only changes I would 100% want is a nerf for Bayo and Cloud and a Buff for Shulk
I was thinking a few more small buffs for lower tiers, but I certainly wouldn't mind soft nerfs for Bayo or Cloud.
Soft being the key word there; any major nerfs could very easily drop them on the tier list. Cloud already has recovery problems as is, and Bayonnetta...well...I actually don't know any particular issues she has as a character that nerfing would hurt. So that kinda discounts me from having an opinion on her being nerfed. Most of the Bayonnettas I play against are either amazing or meh, so I don't have a good grip on what her actual problems are versus the ones I've encountered.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hooters desperately trying to win back their millennial customer base by shamelessly promoting video games.
They have already been some pretty fun pictures showing up here and there

I was thinking a few more small buffs for lower tiers, but I certainly wouldn't mind soft nerfs for Bayo or Cloud.
Soft being the key word there; any major nerfs could very easily drop them on the tier list. Cloud already has recovery problems as is, and Bayonnetta...well...I actually don't know any particular issues she has as a character that nerfing would hurt. So that kinda discounts me from having an opinion on her being nerfed. Most of the Bayonnettas I play against are either amazing or meh, so I don't have a good grip on what her actual problems are versus the ones I've encountered.
You are 100% right. If any nerfs are to occur, they should be minor at best. Like maybe adding a few frames of end lag to some of Clouds moves.
Honestly, in of themselves, I don't hate Cloud or Bayo. I think they are really cool and interesting characters. It's just when compared to the rest of the cast things get a little iffy. Especially for Cloud compared to Shulk. Like I get Sakurai's idea for Cloud, making an easy to learn sword character that almost anyone can pick up and be good with. The problem is that Shulk has one key similar trail to Cloud (a very long reach) yet was not given the generous frame data Cloud. I'm not say give Shulk some fram 2 land lag for all his moves, no. I can see why Sakurai gave Shulk slow frame data, to compensate for his range. But you shouldn't do that and not apply the same logic to Cloud. Just seems a little unfair.

As for Bayo, my only really beef is her recovery and Bat Within+Witch time. Other then that I'm pretty ok with her

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
All of the most skilled Shulks I've played against abuse his arts like madmen. Similarly, the best Clouds I've faced have focused on having Limit as often as possible.
However, Limit has no downsides for Cloud; he gets stronger specials and faster air speed. Shulk has to risk something whenever he uses an art.
It should be noted that Shulk does requires quite a bit more work to be decent with than Cloud does. Shulk mains can still be quite formidable to play against. I've played against some that have just completely shut me down with arts, no matter if I was waiting out the more difficult arts or just going in for a punish.
Either way though, I'm just getting tired of swordsmen in this game. It feels like everyone is using Cloud now, and now whenever I see a Marth, a Cloud, a Corrin, or a Link the first thing that pops into my head is "Oh boy, here we go again..."
Of course, I'm sure that when they see a Sonic they're thinking the same thing, sooooo...:dizzy:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
PSA, Sonic Forces leaks have been drop and they are major ones (one of them being Infinitie's identity)
Would like to ask no one post anything about it without major warning before hand and to be careful now when look up anything Sonic related on any website like tumblr, reddit etc. Thank you

All of the most skilled Shulks I've played against abuse his arts like madmen. Similarly, the best Clouds I've faced have focused on having Limit as often as possible.
However, Limit has no downsides for Cloud; he gets stronger specials and faster air speed. Shulk has to risk something whenever he uses an art.
It should be noted that Shulk does requires quite a bit more work to be decent with than Cloud does. Shulk mains can still be quite formidable to play against. I've played against some that have just completely shut me down with arts, no matter if I was waiting out the more difficult arts or just going in for a punish.
Either way though, I'm just getting tired of swordsmen in this game. It feels like everyone is using Cloud now, and now whenever I see a Marth, a Cloud, a Corrin, or a Link the first thing that pops into my head is "Oh boy, here we go again..."
Of course, I'm sure that when they see a Sonic they're thinking the same thing, sooooo...:dizzy:
Oh I never what to seem like I thought Shulk was bad. No I've seen some of the professional plays and they are pretty amazing crap that I have no chance to pull of. However what I mean was Shulk is more limited in certain aspects when compared to Cloud. Shulk can compensate for these limits yes but they still hold him back.
Wait why exactly are you tired of swordsmen in the game? And what about those three that makes you say that?

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Wait why exactly are you tired of swordsmen in the game? And what about those three that makes you say that?
So, my actual frustration is mostly with Cloud and Marth, seeing how:
1. Cloud is so good that just about everybody either mains or pockets him. So I fight a lot of Clouds and I tell ya: It gets boring. Fast.
2. Marth requires incredible patience, and range + tipper really tests that patience. I tend to fail those tests. He also has a counter, which is another no-no in my book. So I have twice the reason to dislike him.
As for (T)Link, well, seeing them often means projectile spam which is tedious to fight against.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Shulk is def God tier imo
I hope someone gets the reference...

So, my actual frustration is mostly with Cloud and Marth, seeing how:
1. Cloud is so good that just about everybody either mains or pockets him. So I fight a lot of Clouds and I tell ya: It gets boring. Fast.
2. Marth requires incredible patience, and range + tipper really tests that patience. I tend to fail those tests. He also has a counter, which is another no-no in my book. So I have twice the reason to dislike him.
As for (T)Link, well, seeing them often means projectile spam which is tedious to fight against.

Yeah, Cloud and Marth can be annoying to play against because of their range. Especially if Marth lands a lucky Tip Fsmash at the edge.

As for the Links, I can understand you're frustration. but then again, we have plays like T and his Civil War run

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Outside of projectile spam, I actually think that (T)Link and Ike are some of the best sword characters in the game in terms of how they illustrate the "weight behind the weapon" concept pretty well. Their attacks (for the most part) tend to have a look and feel of how the sword should move in that given instance.
Much better than Corrin's noodle arms. For sure.
Some of the other characters that I really enjoy playing with like Kirby tend to make the problem worse.
But despite all that, its really not that hard to stay out of range for sword fighters as Sonic; it just requires a bit of patience.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
New Sonic Forces stage

Outside of projectile spam, I actually think that (T)Link and Ike are some of the best sword characters in the game in terms of how they illustrate the "weight behind the weapon" concept pretty well. Their attacks (for the most part) tend to have a look and feel of how the sword should move in that given instance.
Much better than Corrin's noodle arms. For sure.
Some of the other characters that I really enjoy playing with like Kirby tend to make the problem worse.
But despite all that, its really not that hard to stay out of range for sword fighters as Sonic; it just requires a bit of patience.
Yeah I can definitely see that. This is espically apparent in Link's titls, you can see the quiet that Link puts behind each swing. And the power of it matches quiet well.
On the other side, we have characters like Roy who has a up air with the most meaty hit sfx for his sweetbox...yet the move hardly knocks the opponent away and only does 9%.
On the topic of Corrin, why the hell does he get better range then Roy? That seems a little unfair

Yeah, that would be true, if it wasn't for the fact my sonic is a little aggressive

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Haha yeah, when I stopped playing Sm4sh I guess I just automatically stopped posting here... =/
:<
Awesome review, Cam! It was probably very difficult to do that with only GHZ, CPZ and SPZ available to use. I've just finished mine, actually (took practically a month, heh). It's in Portuguese, however, but whenever I'm finished with the English subtitles I might post it here... Though it's a 50-minute review/analysis/theory video LOL
Thank you! Yeah haha and even then some people considered my review spoiler heavy... can't please the internet.

If you translate it you should definitely post it!

PF9

Smash Lord
A Sonic movie is in development at Paramount. Originally the movie was going to be done by Sony.

I think the move to Paramount is good, because if Sony had made it I think Sega might have soured its relationship with Nintendo forever. Sure it's the film and TV division, but it's still Sony.

This collaboration brings Paramount and Sega's original relationship full circle - from 1969-83, they were both part of Charles Bluhdorn's conglomerate Gulf and Western Industries.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
A Sonic movie is in development at Paramount. Originally the movie was going to be done by Sony.

I think the move to Paramount is good, because if Sony had made it I think Sega might have soured its relationship with Nintendo forever. Sure it's the film and TV division, but it's still Sony.

This collaboration brings Paramount and Sega's original relationship full circle - from 1969-83, they were both part of Charles Bluhdorn's conglomerate Gulf and Western Industries.
A random actually saying something awesome and relevant for once. YEEEEE.

Oh and thank GOD! It seems like an opposite to Smurfs movie in that Paramount was going to make the original smurfs movie and make it a fantasy adventure before sony got the rights and wanted to try and compete with the live action alvin and the chipmunks film.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
As long as the Sonic movie is not a re-enactment of Sonic 06, it might actually be decent.
Either way, live action films that depict animated/pixelated characters scare me (See: Super Mario Bros. (1993)).
Rarely do we get a good movie that also represents the character well. Even the fully animated film for Racket and Clank ended up with middling reviews (I thought it was at least okay; maybe could have been done a bit better).
Here's hoping for the best!

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Hi everyone! I've been away for a while but I'm back to kick some butt at Wild Canyon :4lemmy:

In any case, Sonic Forces. I have avoided spoilers as much as I can and thankfully I have been successful thus far. However, several people I know who haven't avoided spoilers have been...disappointed about what the saw with Sonic Forces as a whole (gameplay, story, etc). I wish to ask, is anyone here still excited, if not still cautiously optimistic for Forces? Personally, I can't wait for it and am very excited to play it, but those who I have frequently talked to are much less so. I just wanted to get a larger opinion base.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Well no one’s calling this game terrible yet; just the Japanese demo that only gives you 60 seconds per level, which isn’t even close to the full level.

Though the youtube comments are still cancerous, just as expected.

So yeah, I still have my preorder of the game reserved and I don’t regret paying $35 for the game and a ton of cool stuff!

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
For a ~40 dollar Sonic game, I think I'll be content from what I've seen so far.
However, even though I've been dodging spoilers as much as I can, I have seen some bits that weren't all that great.
I'll have to play the game to see for myself, but my optimism for this game is draining way too fast here.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hi everyone! I've been away for a while but I'm back to kick some butt at Wild Canyon :4lemmy:

In any case, Sonic Forces. I have avoided spoilers as much as I can and thankfully I have been successful thus far. However, several people I know who haven't avoided spoilers have been...disappointed about what the saw with Sonic Forces as a whole (gameplay, story, etc). I wish to ask, is anyone here still excited, if not still cautiously optimistic for Forces? Personally, I can't wait for it and am very excited to play it, but those who I have frequently talked to are much less so. I just wanted to get a larger opinion base.
From what I've heard on Reddit, it's been overall positives, though there have been concerns. Some people have become more excited after seeing the leaked game play, others have seen it as the final nail in the coffin. Then you have the haters who are deconstructing the crap out of very single dam thing in the game to prove why it's bad and why 3D sonic should die.

So far, the most common concern for the game has been the level design and that holds up still after the leaks. It has been compared to that of mostly colours. However it should be noted that the level design team consisted of only 3 people, 2 of which have never ever worked on a Sonic game before. So if the game level design turns out to be medicore, it will be understandable, but hopeful it will be a wake up call to Sonic Team.

For the story however some people have described it to Adventure 2, i.e it has serious tones, but there are a number of holes and missed opportunities scattered throughout. Also (apparently) it shares the same translation problem SA2 had where in English characters would at time cut each other off or the lines would sound sped up.

However I don't how much of this is true since I've been avoid spoilers myself, with the only thing I've seen is Ghost Town (Classic Sonic City Heights) and it's pre cutscene. Let me tell you, that cutscene just worsens Tails already terrible representation in the game. I mean seriously, what the hell Sonic Writing team, Forces Tails just makes me want to throw my head through a wall

Overall for me I'm still optimistic for the game and personal will enjoy going through the levels as fast as possible (as that's how I believe it was intended to be played with Sonic's controls ) however I doubt it will be perfect and I just hope this allows Sonic team to start some consistence in their games, realising what doesn't work and evolve the formula they have rather then throwing it out and starting fresh again

Top Bottom