• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Sonic GUIDE/FAQ: ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Everything you need to know about spinshot:

Q: What exactly is a "Spinshot"?
A: Spinshot is an AT (Advanced Technique) that allows Sonic to jump through the air while retaining the momentum of his ground speed.

Q: How do I shot spin?
A: You can Spinshot from both Side-B and Down-B. Side-B's can be done both on the ground or in the air, but Down-B's can only be done in the air. Both require you inputting jump or attack at or past a certain point during their charge.

Recommended [only?] input(s):
  • Air:
[Hold Side-B] or [Fully Charged Side-B] > [Release B and quickly hit A (Attack) or X/Y (Jump)] *
[Rapid-Fire Down-B] > [Release B and quickly hit A (Attack) or X/Y (Jump] **
  • Ground:
* Same
** N/A

As far as Sonic goes, I think the dash and roll canceled grabs are pretty subpar, since Sonic already has an amazing boost grab and running grab. His grab ranged is already buffed, so coupled with his speed we have no problems with grab. These grabs perhaps get a more instant distance, but if you can't do it consistently on a technical level it's not worth it. If anything it's a nice extra, but as far as I can tell, it's not at all necessary for Sonic. Just will give you more options and trickery due to the sound effect the dash attack cancel creates.

I personally love Battlefield, but stage preference is just that... Preference. If anything, I'm still going to highly advocate Prism Tower. It's soooo good. Sonic can really abuse being able to recover really low and through the level, and weaving aerials from underneath.

:093:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Great stuff. Just to make sure I did it right, does Sonic still stay in his spin animation when performing it or does he transform back into his normal falling animation. I'm still spinning when I jump from the side b, although I can use any air attack from it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Great stuff. Just to make sure I did it right, does Sonic still stay in his spin animation when performing it or does he transform back into his normal falling animation. I'm still spinning when I jump from the side b, although I can use any air attack from it.
If you're still in the spin animation, that means you're either doing a Spin Dash Jump, a Vertical Spin Dash Jump, or Instant Spin Dash Jump (I know it's confusing but bare with me). Spinshot is the most unique and recognizable, as he does a jump with the "normal falling animation" you're referring to, but moves at an arch while retaining ground speed. Spinshot will eat your double jump, but you can do aerials and everything out of it. If you're doing any of the other mentioned things, you would just be in one of the states of a regular Spin Dash Jump, which can be double jumped out of.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
One last question and I'll be done: Do I press A during the initial hop from SideB? Immediately after it?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
One last question and I'll be done: Do I press A during the initial hop from SideB? Immediately after it?
No sweat, happy to help.

If I may ask, is the original breakdown I have in the main post too confusing and/or not specific enough? If there's anything that can be clarified, please let me know. I tried to be as concise as possible while also making it accessible to newcomers without completely degrading terminology.

You want to do it before the hop. Basically, the timing is so you don't ever see a Spin Dash Hop, Spin Dash Jump, or Spin Dash Roll. You go straight from a charge, to a Spinshot.

Here's the easiest way to practice, imo:
Fully charge a Side-B, and get used to releasing B then immediately sliding your thumb to A. Once you can handle doing this consistently, you'll learn that you can Spinshot even sooner during the charge. It just needs to be around a half charge. Down-B Spinshot can only be done in the air as shown before, and requires a couple mashes of B before you can hit A.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Well you could mention what the spinshot looks like when its done correctly and how to know you're doing it correctly, just so people know if they are doing it right or wrong. You could just copy and paste some of what you said earlier in your breakdown (minus the "you're referring to part" directed at me..

If you're still in the spin animation, that means you're either doing a Spin Dash Jump, a Vertical Spin Dash Jump, or Instant Spin Dash Jump (I know it's confusing but bare with me). Spinshot is the most unique and recognizable, as he does a jump with the "normal falling animation" you're referring to, but moves at an arch while retaining ground speed. Spinshot will eat your double jump, but you can do aerials and everything out of it. If you're doing any of the other mentioned things, you would just be in one of the states of a regular Spin Dash Jump, which can be double jumped out of.

Other than that I think it makes sense.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
It's a double jump with the momentum of a SDJ.

There.

Also, I don't remember where I saw the discussion, but Sonic's helpless animation after hitting Pac's red trampoline is just his fall from Spring animation while blinking just like everyone else who actually has a helpless animation.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'll go back and update the description at some point with something suitable.

And I figured that would be the case for trampoline. I guess it's just funny because Sonic does flips during his.

EDIT:
It's a double jump with the momentum of a SDJ.
I mean, in my original post, I say:
Q: What exactly is a "Spinshot"?
A: Spinshot is an AT (Advanced Technique) that allows Sonic to jump through the air while retaining the momentum of his ground speed.

Is that not clear enough? I guess I could be more specific with it being a double jump.

Last edited:

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
I cant find at all how to do the move, I even tried to look it up, no research founded nor even a thread about it, I also cant seem to do it, I know im doing it wrong, but what I try to do is rapid press the B button then jump once, it then slows down the spinning and I touch the floor with no spin, I cant even activate the yellow aura around the spinning.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Which move? Spinshot? Because I mean, this thread has been covering it for quite a while, so...

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
A video link of someone doing one in training mode at different speeds would be useful, but I don't know how 2 3DS video.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
A video link of someone doing one in training mode at different speeds would be useful, but I don't know how 2 3DS video.
Same. I'm sure there's a video of someone doing it somewhere.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Finally I've got the spinshot technique nailed down, I' starting to be able to do it more consistently. The only problem for me is, doing it... hurts. With the tiny 3DS buttons it really scrapes my thumb. Sonic is the only character in the game I find physically painful to play lol :laugh:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I find Peach to be pretty frustrating with 3DS controls too... But Gamecube controllers will make spinshots and stuff sooo much easier thank you c-stick

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Heyo Sonic mains,

So, I was fooling around with Sanic in training mode, mainly because this is a hard, hard matchup for me as Fox.

Anyways, while fooling around with Sonic, I actually did something completely unintentional that isn't included in this guide: In fact, I have only seen this post that refers to it:
What you do is start a run then forward-b, shield, then grab. Quickly but rhythmically. Sonic will jump forward during the spin charge animation then grab. If done correctly you can hear the spin sound. Sonic will maintain his forward momentum and do his standing grab.

Not only does this shoot him forward a little you don't have his whiff animation from a standard running grab and he slides a bit during his stand grab.

Nifty huh?

You can just run, forward b, then grab but the timing is really tight... Like 1frame or so. If you try this way you will most likely just shield. That's why I say to shield then grab.
I actually found an easier and more guaranteed way to do the Spin Dash Cancelled Grab tech from the post above.

Basically, like said above, you cancel a running Spin Dash with a grab without shielding first. Not only is this faster, but it gives Sonic a nice slide along the ground, the distance you cover is pretty nice. You're basically doing a regular grab (safer than dash grab) while sliding 1/5th of FD. It might remind you of Melee Shiek's Boost Grab if you do it properly.

To do it:
1. While running, begin Spin Dash (side B) :GCR::GCB:
2. RETURN the stick back to neutral position as fast as possible :GCN:
3. press Grab :GCZ: immediately

Think of it as doing an SDCS, except you return the stick to neutral midway and press Grab instead of Shield.

If you don't return the stick to neutral fast enough in step 2 and try to grab too early, you'll mess up and shield instead. If you grab too late, you'll lose all momentum from the dash and just cancel the spin dash with a grab.

This is useful because:
1. You do a regular grab while moving. This is better than a dash grab, which is laggier and more punishable, and you cover the same (if not better) distance than your dash grab.
2. You don't shield at all before grabbing: it's the fastest and safest way of getting a moving grab, eve more-so than Spin Dash Shield Cancel -> Grab.

Try it out yourselves! I'm going to edit this post as soon as I get some videos recorded too.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Yeah, this was a Brawl mechanic that got boosted thanks to the momentum Sonic keeps in Sm4sh during his sideB. It's pretty. :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm like, pretty positive I covered this at some point. Maybe not in the main post? I'll look through it again and update it if needed, but this was meant to be more of a FAQ thread than a complete moveset breakdown. Oh well.

Sonic has too many little things to discuss, and it's hard to elaborate again on everything that carried over from Brawl... :x

Last edited:

BlackSmoke

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0533-4708-2457
Uh is it known that sonic can jump around while holding a fully charged ground side b? It just looks weird lol...

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
We haven't really found a lot of uses for it other than the obvious.

For the time being, we've been referring to it as VSDJ2 (Vertical Spin Dash Jump 2).

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Wish you could shield cancel it after jumping, that'd be useful. You can spinshot out of it, so I guess it's not totally useless.
-:077:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'll be updating the Spinshot information with the inputs for Wii U version. All the old C-Stick shortcuts from Brawl remain intact. <3

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
SideB's variant is in too, but the timing is far more strict than Brawl's if you used the A button to do it. :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
C-Stick for life.

Also, in this game I've been setting C-Stick to tilts instead of smashes... Makes aerials easier.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That's because c-stick doesn't allow you to use control stick when it's not set to neutral. :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, I know. It's a drag. The tilt thing is a work around.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I don't know if this is a well known fact but it seems as though even with tap jump off you can still use a tap jump while in the aerial state of a spin dash jump.

Also I noticed that I could use grab to cancel spin dash. I think you can use this to get a standing grab instead of a dash grab while running.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
I'm still adjusting to the new Spindash. I remember being able to pull off SD>Fair like it was no one's business in Brawl, but now, I can't even get all of the Fair's hits in at all. This is just one example.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Yeah, I know. It's a drag. The tilt thing is a work around.

I didn't even notice this until someone pointed that out on reddit. I've always flicked the C-Stick for aerials, never held it down..

The only gripe I have with it, so far, is that the Pro Controller's sticks' positioning is too much weird to get used to (at least for Smash).

Hey, I don't know if this is a well known fact but it seems as though even with tap jump off you can still use a tap jump while in the aerial state of a spin dash jump.

Also I noticed that I could use grab to cancel spin dash. I think you can use this to get a standing grab instead of a dash grab while running.
Yeah, both of these were also present in Brawl.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I didn't even notice this until someone pointed that out on reddit. I've always flicked the C-Stick for aerials, never held it down..

The only gripe I have with it, so far, is that the Pro Controller's sticks' positioning is too much weird to get used to (at least for Smash).
My gripe with the Pro Controller is that it's not a Gamecube controller.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's not like the Pro Controller is bad: it is not.

It's just that the GCN controller is perfectly tailored for Smash.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I enjoy the Pro Controller just fine for games like Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, and Not-Smash.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it's not like the Pro Controller is bad: it is not.

It's just that the GCN controller is perfectly tailored for Smash.
Honestly I think the Pro Controller would be better suited for smash if the right stick was below instead of above. However then it wouldn't be as good for other games, so I'm not complaining.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Question for everyone:

What more would you like to see from this thread? We have a moveset thread, but if people are interested in seeing more in-depth breakdowns of things or a list of Sonic's ATs and how to perform them, maybe I could arrange that.

Just curious what more could be done or what kind of questions people are looking to have answered in the OP.

EDIT: I may be able to get my hands on an Elgato. Considering doing tutorial videos so there can be visual references for things like Spinshot, ISDJ, etc.

Last edited:

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Question for everyone:

What more would you like to see from this thread? We have a moveset thread, but if people are interested in seeing more in-depth breakdowns of things or a list of Sonic's ATs and how to perform them, maybe I could arrange that.

Just curious what more could be done or what kind of questions people are looking to have answered in the OP.

EDIT: I may be able to get my hands on an Elgato. Considering doing tutorial videos so there can be visual references for things like Spinshot, ISDJ, etc.

I would love a breakdown of his ATs.

Man I wish I could get myself an Elgato. Those things are expensive!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I would love a breakdown of his ATs.

Man I wish I could get myself an Elgato. Those things are expensive!
My friend has one that we used to use for LPs, so I'm going to try and borrow it.

I'll put AT list as a possible thing to do. I think it'd be cool to have a list followed with a video for each tech, or maybe one video would suffice.

Top Bottom