• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Sonic GUIDE/FAQ: ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I was wondering... what other things give back Sonic's spring? I know cape does but is that the only other thing though?
I'm actually not totally sure about this. The cape one I've heard testimonies that it has given back Sonic's Up-B back and other times where it hasn't. Will let you know if I find out more.

:093:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Say I have questions regarding the Spin Dash and Spin Charge:

1. How do you use Spin Dash to recover from off stage while mid-air?

2. How do you that super Spin Charge jump I occasionally see Sonics like Ixis do?

jaimex2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaimex2

2. How do you that super Spin Charge jump I occasionally see Sonics like Ixis do?
It's all in the first post of this thread.

1. Lookup spinshot unless you mean just spinning down towards the ledge then jumping -> springing.

2. Look up ISDJ ( Instant spin dash jump)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

jaimex2 might've covered this but can you clarify a little further what you mean if that's not the case?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I don't believe it does either of those things.

I've always been under the impression spring ride isn't worth the risk. Your opponent can act before you.
ye that sucks, but it's hilarious to win out of nowhere with it, against ppl who doesn't know they can act before you.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
So, this question isn't particularly about Sonic, but its something becoming more and more prevalent lately and I don't know where to ask it.
After some matches on For Glory, when the "Game!" pops up, the game doesn't transition to the results screen right away.
Instead, the game stays in the match for an extended period of time before finally moving to the results screen.
Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Any good ways of dealing lots of Shield Damage as Sonic?
I only know of SC and charging next to ppl :/

So, this question isn't particularly about Sonic, but its something becoming more and more prevalent lately and I don't know where to ask it.
After some matches on For Glory, when the "Game!" pops up, the game doesn't transition to the results screen right away.
Instead, the game stays in the match for an extended period of time before finally moving to the results screen.
Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
It's because the game is struggling to keep up with Sonic. Wrong place to ask.

jaimex2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaimex2
Any good ways of dealing lots of Shield Damage as Sonic?
I only know of SC and charging next to ppl :/
add jump > dair to that if the shield is low enough and it might break.
We don't really have anything that can do the full 50 dmg in one go.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
It's because the game is struggling to keep up with Sonic. Wrong place to ask.
A quick Google doesn't bring up any useful results, so I defaulted to Smashboards. However, even after a bit of thread hopping around here I couldn't find any threads specifically for errors or oddities pertaining to the game itself instead of a single character. Of course, I could've glossed over some on accident, but I didn't see any on my first run through.
Maybe you could point me towards a thread that would cover this?

Ninja Kikiro

Smash Rookie
I got a question: I have a hard time reading as a sonic player, I have a lot of trouble finding info of my opponent. My movement and punish game seems pretty fluid but I have a hard time keeping track. Any advice?

Mkiey

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

Question for you. I'm having trouble with Aerial spinshots. I have kept trying at it and it's gotten easy on the ground but not in the air. Would me having an Original 3DS have anything to do with it? Or am I just messing up. Any tips? Thanks!

Ninja Kikiro

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

Question for you. I'm having trouble with Aerial spinshots. I have kept trying at it and it's gotten easy on the ground but not in the air. Would me having an Original 3DS have anything to do with it? Or am I just messing up. Any tips? Thanks!
If you are using spin dash(side b) you have to "half charge it" then press jump. If you do it immediately, you won't get it. That's how it works for me.

Mkiey

Smash Rookie
If you are using spin dash(side b) you have to "half charge it" then press jump. If you do it immediately, you won't get it. That's how it works for me.
Giving it a try that way. Seems to work but I am going more vertical than horizontal. It is cancelling the Spin Dash though. Gonna keep trying Thanks!

Last edited:

Ninja Kikiro

Smash Rookie
Giving it a try that way. Seems to work but I am going more vertical than horizontal. It is cancelling the Spin Dash though. Gonna keep trying Thanks!
In 3ds is tricky in general. Hopefully someone can give you a better advice on that.

jaimex2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaimex2
Hey guys,

Practise doing insta-pin with Corrin, its the same input and timing. B -> slide to A

Mkiey

Smash Rookie
In 3ds is tricky in general. Hopefully someone can give you a better advice on that.
Yeah I have noticed that Once I get confirmation that Smash can work without that Gamepad I will be getting it on Wii U.

Practise doing insta-pin with Corrin, its the same input and timing. B -> slide to A
Easy enough. I will give it a try that way. Thanks!

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Is there a chart that shows what %s FAF Uair > Spring > Uair is garantueed at?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
full animation frames.
But nvm, I had a friend test when it was garantueed and not, with me.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I was pretty sure it stood as First Actionable (?) Frame, meaning the very first frame at which your next move will begin.
But it's 5am and I can't think properly rn.
:196:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think one of the worst match ups in the game is the Kirby and Sonic match up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/6y4nu5/comprehensive_matchup_chart_for_all_characters/

The Sonic and Kirby match up literally a 3.0 in the detailed section of the Match Up chart; in Sonic's favor. I only saw two 3.0 detailed match ups.

Does anyone have an explanation on why Sonic destroys Kirby in that match up ( I believe it but I like having a nice guide through on stuff ). Thank you for anyone who answers!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think one of the worst match ups in the game is the Kirby and Sonic match up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/6y4nu5/comprehensive_matchup_chart_for_all_characters/

The Sonic and Kirby match up literally a 3.0 in the detailed section of the Match Up chart; in Sonic's favor. I only saw two 3.0 detailed match ups.

Does anyone have an explanation on why Sonic destroys Kirby in that match up ( I believe it but I like having a nice guide through on stuff ). Thank you for anyone who answers!
Because Kirby has next to no options to deal with Sonic running away or spinning into him.

Kirby's OoS options are too slow to deal with spin on shield, an option that is usually unsafe, but can be pretty heavily abused in this match-up.

He's too slow to chase Sonic very well when he does choose to run away and Kirby has to basically rely on Sonic getting greedy or making mistakes.

His best bet is to read a spin with a pivot grab or inhale, but inhale can be so easily baited and punished after you've fallen for it once.

Kirby is one of if not maybe Sonic's best match-up. It's really bad for Kirby imo.
I'm actually not totally sure about this. The cape one I've heard testimonies that it has given back Sonic's Up-B back and other times where it hasn't. Will let you know if I find out more.

Following up on this, it's outlined below.

If you want to be SURE you can spring after a cape, do an aerial first!

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Is it possible to avoid getting footstooled by Sonic after getting hit by his side special? DIing in or down and in seemed to get me the best results but I still get footstooled sometimes.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Is it possible to avoid getting footstooled by Sonic after getting hit by his side special? DIing in or down and in seemed to get me the best results but I still get footstooled sometimes.
I haven't tested it much myself but outside of trying to DI that's really the best you can do.

Of course, this stops working past a certain percent window anyway since spins will eventually send you too far so at that point you can just DI away.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
At early percents no...you're going to get footstooled no matter what you try because the influence of DI isn't strong enough at low percents. At higher damage though you can DI out of it by going down and away from Sonic to increase the gap between you and him. Of course that can open you up to a few other options Sonic has so the bst bet is to try to avoid getting hit by his Side B period.

I need a new avatar.

Haze

Smash Rookie
How is the sonic Isbj? because I read the guide and I still can not understand it at all

Haze

Smash Rookie
[QUOTE = "Camalange, post: 22036795, member: 114872"] ISDJ? ¿Viste el video también?

: 093:[/CITAR]
yes but I still do not understand how :(

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
[QUOTE = "Camalange, post: 22036795, member: 114872"] ISDJ? ¿Viste el video también?

: 093:[/CITAR]
yes but I still do not understand how :(
Where are you getting stuck?

Top Bottom