• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic got nerfed out the @ss in 3.5

Do you think Sonic got nerfed out the ass?

• Total voters

GabPR

Smash Lord
It actually aint risky at all, just be sure to change direction of your homing attack to sweetspot the ledge when you are oof stage. At a certain distance it will.quickly snap on to it, leaving you still in an advantageous edge guarding situation.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Well, let's say I aerial dodge or spot dodge before your homing attack targeting box flashes on me (the one shown in debug mode) you will miss and go into special fall. However, if your targeting box touches me, but sonic is too slow to actually hit me, you won't go into special fall. It's still incredibly risky, but if you are facing someone like marth who probably won't aerial dodge unless he predicts you homing attack (which would result in an sd for both characters) and homing attack is a little safer. Still a guarantee against fire fox or fire bird though. By the way, the data is here: http://smashboards.com/threads/p-m-3-0-statistics-list-shff-speed-weight-falling-speed-etc.335019/
OK. Because I read Gab's comment to be that his HA puts you in special fall. And yeah. HA > Fair on spacies = win.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Well, let's say I aerial dodge or spot dodge before your homing attack targeting box flashes on me (the one shown in debug mode) you will miss and go into special fall. However, if your targeting box touches me, but sonic is too slow to actually hit me, you won't go into special fall. It's still incredibly risky, but if you are facing someone like marth who probably won't aerial dodge unless he predicts you homing attack (which would result in an sd for both characters) and homing attack is a little safer. Still a guarantee against fire fox or fire bird though. By the way, the data is here: http://smashboards.com/threads/p-m-3-0-statistics-list-shff-speed-weight-falling-speed-etc.335019/
OK. Because I read Gab's comment to be that his HA puts you in special fall. And yeah. HA > Fair on spacies = win.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman

See, even though you loved it, keeping it in would make him top tier
Correction: Sonic is still top tier. At least, that's just me, but I feel he wins against most everyone and competes hard with the top tiers (45:55 against Fox, for example)

Not sure what the heck is up with my laptop. I'm sorry! :c

Last edited:

Luk

Smash Journeyman
He has been starting to use legit combos now and has made his own ken combo (I call it the silencer) where he would hit with the sour spot on his fair twice and spike with the 3rd one if I didn't DI it.
Just occurred to me, I can string together a fair DJ sweetspot fair true combo at certain percents, how the hell does he get 3 in a row? Does he like, fair, FF, jump back at you, fair, DJ sweetspot fair?

I've done that in a match or two but the opponent always had a decentish amount of time to get a hitbox out or something and just mis-timed it.

Would love to see a video of it (even ****ty quality would be cool). I friggin' love combos that end in a fair spike to death.

Also, somebody above mentioned HA into fair. I've never been able to get that to work. I always end up too low to sweet spot it but too high to DJ to get the right height .

Edit: grammar

Last edited:

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Just occurred to me, I can string together a fair DJ sweetspot fair true combo at certain percents, how the hell does he get 3 in a row? Does he like, fair, FF, jump back at you, fair, DJ sweetspot fair?

I've done that in a match or two but the opponent always had a decentish amount of time to get a hitbox out or something and just mis-timed it.

Would love to see a video of it (even ****ty quality would be cool). I friggin' love combos that end in a fair spike to death.

Also, somebody above mentioned HA into fair. I've never been able to get that to work. I always end up too low to sweet spot it but too high to DJ to get the right height .

Edit: grammar
Ok, sorry, I left something out. This was on fd, so he fair'd me near the edge causing me to bounce up, then he used fair again using the sour spot, and then he spiked me.

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Heh, speaking of the devil. Just did something like this against a CPU earlier. Nowhere near a true combo and a human probably would have avoided at least 1 or 2 of these. Still, didn't realize I could get that second Fair out so close to the ground.
(who needs fancy recording equipment when you can upload a potato from your phone).

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Sonic's aerials string together really easily... his specials, fairs, nairs, etc. It's why he's a good character (well, one of the extensive reasons why). I would upload videos, or record combo vids, but I have no equipment (and a lack of technical know-how), and I don't have the game right now. But Sonic's strings are nuts. He zero deaths piece of cake, where my opponent can't do anything. I recently went to a Smash Club at my school and I four stocked a lot of people, it was awkward. I took five stocks all alone in doubles too. 0.o

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I've been wanting to play some online matches or record some in person matches and put them up for input/analysis. I know I must be making a lot of rookie mistakes. Playing online and getting feedback in the wifi hookup thread is one thing. Having a video up with post-match analysis is another thing entirely.

It's what I love about Sonic. I never feel like I lose because of some stupid BS. It's always "shoot. In retrospect, I made some mistakes".

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Sonic is an awesome character, and it's also pretty cool that you got some footage at all. That's more than I can do.

Durggggggg

Smash Rookie
NNID
Durggggggg
I'm actually glad that the nerfs were put in. It forces you to play better, and it tests your limits. You can't just give up. People can now stop complaining about Sonic being broken. Plus, in every Sonic game, a flubbed Homing Attack leaves him helpless. It forces you to play smarter, and braver.

DrugsM2

Smash Apprentice
Bumping this thread before 3.6 comes out so everyone can see how much they over reacted to slight balance changes

im dieing lol, this isnt a game where we roll around at the speed of sound bud, his movement options are incredible along with his tilts, jab, dsmash, fsmash, JC grab, and all of his aerials. A well designed characters special moves should only compliment the rest of its moveset. Take your finger off B for a couple minutes and youll see what i mean.

Edit: Forgot to mention dthrow and uthrow being insane for tech chasing into dair and that the devs knew exactly what they were changing, the changes were primarily made to remove the "lol spam b button" attitude
also, me a year ago when i first started, and I still agree with what i said lol

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Double bumping to say that if a character "loses to hitboxes" then they are probably amazing
you would literally just wait for them to throw out a hitbox and then grab them for it. Or any other punishment.

Top Bottom