• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
you can also wall jump after bair and airdodge immediately after. it makes recovering broken on stages with walls. It's definitely not suppose to be in this build but It's been abused for nearly 3 months now.

have fun always getting back to the stage, guys :)

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Guys im in the process of building a "best character versions" Project M file, what version was sonic the best in, 2.5?

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I found out that all of Sonics aerial's can go through Pit's Arrows and Doc's/Mario's Fireballs and so on (Certain Projectiles)

GabPR

Smash Lord
Falco is a pain if the player can use his lasers effectively. When im up against Falco pressure I prioritize getting out of it before going on the offensive. You want to avoid getting in situations in which he pins you down with laser approach and can either dair/shine you on shield or simply go for a grab. Like fox he can be chain grabbed and gimped rather easily with homing attack, sweet spot front tilt or even f-smash if he tries to go for an up b that wont sweetspot the ledge when he is offstage. (They will try to avoid using up b most of the time and go for the side b, so keep that in mind when edge guarding).

alphabattack

Smash Apprentice
So I've been thinking about sonic's down b and it's repeating hitbox, and I thought that it could have some use for shield pressure. Is there any way to set this up? I wonder if it would work off of a down throw tech chase. Maybe dthrow, read the tech, then run into them and pump down b. Any ideas?

shores

Smash Rookie
yes, by god, yes it is good shield pressure. Most the people I play with on a regular basis decide it is better to just not go in shield ever, because it just turn in to a bad time. most people with shield when they feel threatened any way, so more often than not you can just approach and punish their retreat to shield by rubbing your body up against their shield. Once you start to incorporate this into your game people will be more cautious of when they enter shield so be weary of stray attacks to fend off approaches. Other than that you'll usually get more punishes of them not shielding and if they keep shielding you'll keep popping them up for aerial fallow ups when you start shield poking them. The only thing to worry about is good out of shield options like Bowsers up b. so know your match ups and realize when this is actually a good time to use this tactic. :)

alphabattack

Smash Apprentice
Also, are there any advanced techs I should know for his side and down b's? I've heard of the spinshot, but I am a new sonic main. Lastly, If you hit the ground while in his side or down b, does it cause you to speed up? Cause I always here this woosh sound and it looks as if he goes faster. Thanks!

EDIT: Also! Can you pivot grab with Sonic's JC sideb? Thanks again!

Last edited:

GoblinGamerKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gobbblin
3DS FC
3738-0091-4970
Not sure how active sonic boards are, but earlier today when I was playing against a friends fox I did a pivot grab on him and noticed it made Sonics dash attack sound when I did it. (Running one way C-stick down analog other way and grab all done really fast)

So then I just started practicing it in training mode a lil bit more and I saw one of the times I was able to do the pivot grab, only it linked the startup attack from sonics dash attack into my grab and I been able to do it somewhat consistently. other times it will have sonics dash attack hit them and they get knocked too far away to grab while he still does his pivot grab animation. Just wondering if anyone knew about this or if its already known I only really started using sonic today :S

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
It's old Brawl tech, it's a Dash Attack Cancel. You've probably heard of Dash Attack Cancelled Up Smash, or DACUS, and it's the same idea. The grab is just easier to do. Generally I've been putting it to use a bit more in my game as a mixup, and because I think the pivot grab has less lag? You can do a regular dash grab out of it as well.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Came to see if there was any new Sonic tech. Air dodge after Bair is going to be very helpful. Props to whoever figured that out.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
So just out of curiosity any tips on countering Sonic. It seems like silly for someone who plays Sonic to ask about how to counter him, but I've never played against any other Sonic's other than my cousin, and I'm more experienced at the game than he is. Off the top of my head I know projectiles are a pain, or at least for me they are, but I know projectiles alone aren't the only means of countering Sonic. I guess I should be asking more so about counter pick characters for Sonic rather than simple tips on beating him.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
How do you punish tether recoveries? I'm finding it impossible to keep them off the stage. They auto sweet spot (if they're in range) and if you try to ledge hog they do that little hop over you. I try punishing the hop but they always move out of range before I can get them. Any advice?

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
How do you punish tether recoveries? I'm finding it impossible to keep them off the stage. They auto sweet spot (if they're in range) and if you try to ledge hog they do that little hop over you. I try punishing the hop but they always move out of range before I can get them. Any advice?
It might not be the best advice but if you hit them before they pull themselves up (easier said than done), you can kill them that way.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I tended to ruin Xaltis's day on stream at CEO by taking out his tether recovery with fair. I'd recommend learning to read their tendencies of when they're about to recover and tossing yourself inbetween them and the stage. If you've got a good read then Fair is good, but if you're unsure, Nair is great for putting them in a bad place.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Sonic mains! I ask you, how can I beat his spin dash? I am a wifi player, so timing attacks doesn´t always work out lol.

Specificcally, how can i differentiate between the side B and the down B?

Which move has more priority? side B or Down B?

Do these moves beat Side/Down B?
-Uncharged Shadow Ball
-Marth´s down tilt/ftilt
¨-Super Missile
-Homing Missile
-Uncharged Charge Beam
-Morph Ball Bomb
-Snake´s tilts
MK´s Dash Attack

Top Bottom