• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something I wish to get off my chest on the recent immigration thing in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just want to say something in regards to some news. This is mainly a theory, so it will be treated as such. Specifically, the news on the immigration problem with the USA happening as of now. It is also about Hispanics being used as pawns to get people to vote for either party in the USA in general, outside of what is happening now. Now then, we all have probably seen the news about politicians, specifically the republicans (though I could be wrong) have been doing things like moving Mexicans around out of places like Florida and Texas if I recall correctly. Something I want to get off my chest is that the way I see it, this is nothing more than a desperate publicity stunt.

The people doing this are just trying to get coverage, attention for the upcoming U.S. midterms. If anything, I think it should be illegal to do things like that to get such votes. Now a lot of Mexicans have been voting republican, but to me, I feel they are just being used as pawns by such people (though it could be of either party at any time, but it does look like the republicans are doing this now), and they do not even know it; as in the Hispanics are being manipulated by politicians with some false promises to get them to do what they want. This is due to the lack of education some of them have, the Hispanics, that is. There are a number of them just don't have much or any critical thinking. I see that they are trying to do what they are doing with immigrants now as it has been said on the news recently to use them for their own gains and to try to win the mid-terms.

Now to clarify, I understand the education system in the USA and many Americans' critical thinking skills are not that great either. Still, with the lack of critical thinking, people would think things like those who are in power or even the news would be telling the truth, when that is not always the case. My point is, too many people, Hispanics or Americans, don't have proper critical thinking put to use. I was not in a time period where critical thinking was poorly taught and education was so poor like it is now.

This could even be used to try to get Mexicans and Hispanics who can vote in the U.S. by citizenship to vote for them in the mid-terms, especially if they have concerns of their fellow Hispanics and how they are treated or think the republican politicians will change that if they are voted for by them, or something else. They could still vote against them of course, but I think it is still a possibility to consider, both ways. However the legal U.S. Americans think, whatever the case, I can see them being lied to by politicians in a way that could get them to vote for them in the mid-terms. Being taken advantage of, in other words. I am not sure of the whole story, so some of this might be wrong, but let me say something else here...

Now, the Mexicans and Hispanics from other countries that go to the U.S., legally or not, mostly or wholly the legal citizens in this case, have added to the population and increased in number over the years in the USA. I learned something like this in high school in 2005-2006. In fact, the teacher I had, my history teacher, said something along the lines that in a future year (I forgot which one), the Hispanic population could become the majority of the U.S. Now, as much as some politicians are trying to get Hispanic support, at the same time, there are politicians who hate Hispanics or are racist, and probably do not want to see the Hispanics become the majority; only using them for their gain just to kick them out of the country later, or do something that can be just as bad.

With this large number, politicians; not just republicans, as there could be democrats too; might try to lie and take advantage of them for their own games and use them as pawns, like what some politicians are doing now. Without referring to either party specifically, politicians have lied plenty of times before and taken advantage of people, and there was, and still is even some corruption to be had, and probably did not care for the people at all. Still, I think what the politicians I am talking about are doing with the immigrants to try and gain more coverage, should be made illegal. Things like this should be no way to try to win an election.

No offense to republicans, democrats or Hispanics (wasn't calling them dumb, just that they lack critical thinking, which to me is another story). Not to mention, what i am talking about can be applicable to any non-politician American, who can just as easily be taken advantage of by some politicians. Anyway, like I said, I do not see trying to get coverage and pulling publicity stunts, especially immigrants who are still people, by the way, should be done to try to win elections. Not like this.

So, what do you all think of this?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't care about USA politics that much but "most native Spanish speakers lack critical thinking skills" is a really gross take.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, from what I know, the education system in Mexico that allows for critical thinking is pretty poor, and I believe that with proper critical thinking skills, the lies of the politicians I speak of could easy be seen through, something it seems the immigrants I am talking about seem to lack.

I did not mean to generalize, as I know there are immigrants with critical thinking, but I know there are some that do not, who are sadly being taken advantage of.

Nah

Smash Champion
You are right that it is (at least in part) being done as a political stunt to get votes for the midterms, and that's nothing new really. Politicians and the wealthy in the US only view people as tools to be used for their own gains, it's always been that way. It's not something that anyone should be doing, but when you're in positions of power you often get away with a lot in this country.

And calling Central American education systems poor and saying that people from there lack critical thinking ability when the US education isn't what I call good and is kind of a scam really, and there's not a whole lot of critical thinking here either is like....whatever word(s) I'm looking for.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You are right that it is (at least in part) being done as a political stunt to get votes for the midterms, and that's nothing new really. Politicians and the wealthy in the US only view people as tools to be used for their own gains, it's always been that way. It's not something that anyone should be doing, but when you're in positions of power you often get away with a lot in this country.

And calling Central American education systems poor and saying that people from there lack critical thinking ability when the US education isn't what I call good and is kind of a scam really, and there's not a whole lot of critical thinking here either is like....whatever word(s) I'm looking for.
Understood. Thanks for the tip, by the way. Didn’t mean to be offend anyone. I guess gullible is the right word?

I knew that about the USA’s education system, by the way. I was just only trying to focus on Central America’s, as good as an idea As it was not.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Well, from what I know, the education system in Mexico that allows for critical thinking is pretty poor, and I believe that with proper critical thinking skills, the lies of the politicians I speak of could easy be seen through, something it seems the immigrants I am talking about seem to lack. I did not mean to generalize, as I know there are immigrants with critical thinking, but I know there are some that do not, who are sadly being taken advantage of.
Out of curiosity, which nationalized education system did you crawl out from?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Out of curiosity, which nationalized education system did you crawl out from?
Please, don't.

I already learned my mistake there, and even then, I did not mean to offend anyone.

Still, I finished high school and started college around 2006. I am not sure about now, but I had learned a lot about critical thinking back then. I know critical thinking was not always properly taught in the USA, especially now, but I did not take part in the education system of now in the U.S.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Please, don't. I already learned my mistake there, and even then, I did not mean to offend anyone. Still, I finished high school and started college around 2006. I am not sure about now, but I had learned a lot about critical thinking back then. I know critical thinking was not always properly taught in the USA, especially now, but I did not take part in the education system of now in the U.S.
Why are you apologizing. I'm always been appalled at education systems. There are some areas in the US where the education system is worse than being in a third world country and a lot of parents use the K-12 system in order to get free meals for their kids. The only real difference these days between someone who has a HYPS (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford) pedigree and someone with a HS diploma is that instead of throwing out six paragraphs of pre-word they will just write on Twitter that they think Hispanics lack critical thinking before using taxpayer dollars to charter flights to Martha's Vineyard as a part of a human trafficking scheme because they don't give a **** about immigrants. And honestly, American individualism is such a strong ethos at this point in time that no one really gives a **** about anyone else. So there's no need to be apologetic when you are just a part of what I would consider to be the current meta.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Why are you apologizing. I'm always been appalled at education systems. There are some areas in the US where the education system is worse than being in a third world country and a lot of parents use the K-12 system in order to get free meals for their kids. The only real difference these days between someone who has a HYPS pedigree and someone with a HS diploma is that instead of throwing out six paragraphs of pre-word they will just write on Twitter that they think Hispanics lack critical thinking before using taxpayer dollars to charter flights to Martha's Vineyard.
I actually understand that. I am appalled by such systems too. Especially the U.S.A's current education system, which needs one heck of a reform. Not sure how far it could go, but yeah, ours is certainly not better than Central America's. I forgot to, and should have mentioned that. Also, speaking of education and critical thinking; I would like to say something on that if you don't mind...

...I think with how some or even many countries have those who lack good education, I do think governments, or some of the people involved in it at least, may try to not put an emphasis on education and critical thinking because maybe they fear that those with great knowledge and skills may challenge them, and such politicians do not want to be challenged, and lack of education may make it easier for such politicians to maintain power. Yeah, this is moreso a theory, but you could probably know what I mean.

I have a college diploma, by the way, to be clear.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
CannonStreak CannonStreak I don't know what you mean and I no longer care. Sorry.
Figures. Honestly, no offense, I was surprised you did reply here at all.

EDIT: If you wanted to know, though, the theory is simply that politicians of any country may suppress education to make it so that they can more easily maintain power and not deal with smart ones who challenge them. It is a form of suppression, really.

EDIT: While I should have made it clear, that last statement was not meant for just you.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Figures. Honestly, no offense, I was surprised you did reply here at all.
I finally have more than one day off to **** post and I figured why not respond to the guy who is **** posting up serious discussions. Maybe he changes, maybe he doesn't. Who knows. If you don't add a little variety in your life, then why bother living at all. Sometimes you hope the guy who writes like he has a SA d/o changes it up, but when you repeat the same jumps in logic, force events to fit your beliefs, and then continue even after you make an oopsie it becomes clear to me that you won't change how you think from a prolonged conversation and therefore me spending any more time into taking you seriously is pointless. Because I know I won't gain anything from this exchange either. It's just really pointless to waste time when you already see the end result for both of us. So I just tell you how it is. I don't know what you mean and I no longer care. Sorry.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I finally have more than one day off to ** post and I figured why not respond to the guy who is ** posting up serious discussions. Maybe he changes, maybe he doesn't. Who knows. If you don't add a little variety in your life, then why bother living at all. Sometimes you hope the guy who writes like he has a SA d/o changes it up, but when you repeat the same jumps in logic, force events to fit your beliefs, and then continue even after you make an oopsie it becomes clear to me that you won't change how you think from a prolonged conversation and therefore me spending any more time into taking you seriously is pointless. Because I know I won't gain anything from this exchange either. It's just really pointless to waste time when you already see the end result for both of us. So I just tell you how it is. I don't know what you mean and I no longer care. Sorry.
Yeah, but you still missed my edits apparently, so I will say one of them again, the last thing I said about education and politicians, it was not aimed specifically at you.

I should have made that clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom