• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some setups I've seen through my 30 hours of Incineroar. Can we get some love for this fiery boi?

iDareian

Smash Rookie
NNID
dareianrc36
These are the most consistent (non-read) based ones:
  • Down throw -> Fair at almost any%. Is actually a kill setup near the ledge
  • Down throw -> Uair at 30%+ for Heavy weights and 15%+ for Lighter chars. Can usually link into another Uair and on battlefield like levels, can even extend juggle. Also a kill setup if not too stale.
  • D-Tilt -> Fair At low %, can combo into a grab. Can clip someone hanging on the ledge for a K.O.
Now for the ones that are read dependant:
  • Uair -> Side-B on an airborne opponent. This applies to the flip (early button press) rather than the clothesline. Has good K.O. potential if you can read the air dodge direction.
  • Dtilt -> Up-B near the ledge. Insta-meteors someone if you land it right. I've only done it online so I'm not sure if its true or not so I'm putting it in here.
Aside from those, Incineroar doesn't have too many set-ups but makes up for it by having like 11 kill moves. Insane that not a lot of people are giving this guy more attention.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Dtilt > ftilt can kill : read based. Combos at lower percents similar to fair.
Dtilt > fsmash, same thing.
Dtilt > uair juggling similar to dthrow.

You can ground your Nair into almost anything, same with dair at low percents.
Dair > neutral b can do like 40% pretty easily.

Another tip: use your side b like a pivot grab. If someone approaches run away and reverse side b, consistent and safe.

Ftilt at the edge when people normal getup can kill at like 80%, or send them far enough where they can't recover depending on the character.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
I was testing around in training mode and playing with fast fall uair strings. If you land it right, you can get some beefy combos from it.:

Landing Uair (close proximity) -> fullhop Uair -> jump Uair. Easiest of the 3 strings, but worst damage.
Landing Uair (close proximity) -> fullhop Uair -> jump Fair. Only slightly harder, more damage. (Around 38%)
Landing Uair (close proximity) -> fullhop Uair -> jump Bair. Probably the hardest due to positioning, but depending on DI can be useful.
Landing Uair (close proximity) -> fullhop Uair -> bait/read recovery for SideB???

I was able to get these on Chrom at 0% (very tight timing on the 2nd Uair) and 15%. But I'm pretty sure you can start higher than that.

Another little trick I found. If you're shielding, you can jump and immediately SideB out of it, since it cancels your vertical momentum. It's a great way to retaliate if they're behind you and not expecting it.

• Dtilt -> Up-B near the ledge. Insta-meteors someone if you land it right. I've only done it online so I'm not sure if its true or not so I'm putting it in here.
For the life of me, I can't get this consistently, out of Dtilt or Dthrow. I'm stuck between being high enough when starting UpB to recover without dying, and fast/close enough to connect both hits. Any tips?

HolyAarom

Smash Rookie
NNID
HolyAarom
Switch FC
SW-2157-3237-4418
For the life of me, I can't get this consistently, out of Dtilt or Dthrow. I'm stuck between being high enough when starting UpB to recover without dying, and fast/close enough to connect both hits. Any tips?
How high are you jumping before doing the up-b? I don't think it's possible period to recover if you up-b offstage while standing on the ground. Short hop height is doable but the positioning is very tight.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
How high are you jumping before doing the up-b? I don't think it's possible period to recover if you up-b offstage while standing on the ground. Short hop height is doable but the positioning is very tight.
That's a really helpful ref, thanks! I'll try it out more tonight.

Maxiz

Smash Rookie
Starters that I have been testing:

Dtilt ---> Utilt ----> Fair
Dtilt ---> Utilt ----> Usmash
Dtilt ---> Utilt ----> Uair---> Uair
Dtilt ---> Utilt ----> buffer Up B ( This will work consistently up until 18% doing 30% total) (This can combo up until the 30% but you have to wait right before they land.)

They all have been tested with Fox but i'll comeback with heavy chac. , will probably do them against Captain Falcon.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
at 0% Dthrow > instant dashcancel SH Uair > FF > Fullhop DL - 40% 3hit combo.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
0% (probably up to 10%) dthrow-fsmash tipper is true on above-average weight characters when they are DI'ing as hard as possible away and is ridiculously easy to do, you just buffer it. You have a 20 frame advantage on dthrow which means if you're feeling lucky you can try some dash cancels into the tipper fsmash on lighter characters.

When edgeguarding chrom if hes at low % like below 50%, revenge his upb, then falling nair on his next upb which will have enough knockback to kill and is super easy to hit. If he's above 50%, no need for the revenge, it should kill anyway. Assuming hes lost his jump of course.

The other FE characters can have their upbs completely stuffed by lariat if you time it right where you walk off and delay the lariat slightly so his arms start spinning around the ledge height.

iDareian

Smash Rookie
NNID
dareianrc36
The other FE characters can have their upbs completely stuffed by lariat if you time it right where you walk off and delay the lariat slightly so his arms start spinning around the ledge height.

This is amazing. I didn't know that. They're so popular here in Central Florida region. Thanks for sharing!

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
a good, sort of lengthy combo i discovered today:
dtilt + utilt + grab + pummel + pummel + pummel + uthrow + uspec + nspec
this consistently deals around 75% damage and is pretty fun to pull off

Prefecture

Smash Rookie
D-Throw is heavily DI dependent so I find myself using either U-Air/RAR B-air/Dash Attack as a follow up.

D-tilt into Upward Diagonal F-Tilt works wonders for me on people who don't have a near instant aerial.

Last edited:

Whitephoenixace

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7304-2300-4542
Not sure how much know this but . Dtilt at higher percents true combos into short hop upair. Depending on the weight and percent , its either a short hop up air or short hopping then using up air. The former at lower percents and the latter at higher. Just thought id add causw d tilit really doesnt combo well into his other moves after the opp reaches above 100%. Not sure on other chars but d tilt into the short hop into the up air kills pichu at like 110% (not sure if di may help survuve though)

KingAcid

Smash Rookie
Not sure how much know this but . Dtilt at higher percents true combos into short hop upair. Depending on the weight and percent , its either a short hop up air or short hopping then using up air. The former at lower percents and the latter at higher. Just thought id add causw d tilit really doesnt combo well into his other moves after the opp reaches above 100%. Not sure on other chars but d tilt into the short hop into the up air kills pichu at like 110% (not sure if di may help survuve though)
Yes , at high percent the DTilt into a up-air. Idk if its true combo but its DI dependend.
DI Away: Depending on the angle it hits (Found out the tip make em go a bit away and the middle of the leg send em straigh up) (Hitting with the tip send them inward so follow it with Nair) can be followed with a Fair and might kill a high %
No DI/DI In/Down: U-Air can combo but Nair might be preferable b/c U-Air is less likely to kill middle weight character at 100% and Nair will send them on the sides off stage.
DI Up: Would need a full hop and will probably not connect. Tested just now, still connect.

D-Tilt doesnt have a set knock back but it is a very low knock back making it a very good combo starter in any stage of the game.

Also found a true combo that might be DI dependent, would need to test with real people.
I tested it with level 9 CPU, making him stand still and changed it to shuffle a lot 1 frame before the D-Tilt connect to try to simulate a DI. Also I did it on the Training map, so maybe the CPU didn't DI in when approching the traced Blast Line for BF/FD since he wasn't really going to die.

I only tested it on 2 middle weight: Ivysaure and Palutena.

Can be done with % between 60% and 75% with consistency on Ivysaure and 70% to 80% on Palutena (Could be done at 60% with Palutena but couldnt pull it off consistent enough)
Combo: D-Tilt-> SH U-Special close enough to drag them with us. Landing bear the ledge kills on BF/FD.
Combo count kept going up after D-Tilt meaning its a true combo. The AI seemed like she DI away from D-Tilt but not sure, can't tell for U-Special. No DI/DI in/DI down should alway land but not tested. DI away/No Di on the U-Special will send them outside the blast line. I'll try to upload a video of it later in the day.

If the combo doesnt kill because of DI, it put them far from the ledge at top platform height.

If you try to do it, Combo count should be at 4 at the end: D-Tilt 1 hit, U-Special 3 hit (Start up hit, top height/going down hit and landing hit)

Last edited:

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
Mostly i do:

at low % Dtilt, Utilt (depending on the distance it could wif), Utilt (if too high % the second Utilt wont hit), Uair, Uair
also Dtilt, Uair Uair
at 0% Dthrow into darkest larriat is one of the best starters hits for 30%
at almost any% - Dthrow, fair or bair (it could kill close to edge)
at almost any% Dtilt, fair or Bair or Nair or Darkest lariat (it can kill close to edge and it combos more consistently)
Falling uair its a good combo starter too.
darkest lariat to cover wakeup options is very effective.
Side B its very good to cover rolls, neutral getups, landings, spot dodges, good for punishes too (u can pick up kills and rack up % very easily with this move).
Fsmash its a 14 frame smash and if u get the sweetspot will kill at 50%-70% depending the character and at even lower % if u have Revenge.
Ftilt its a 12 frame tilt and will pick u kills starting at 90%, the knockback on this move is insane.
Dsmash u can juke dash grabs and dash atacks with this moves and, it hits very hard too.
If they are doing a recovery with a 90 degree angle i would sometimes risk it and short hop with darkest lariat positioning the back of my spinning hands in the ledge it will almost always hit the guy trying to comeback with a stage spike and u still can make it back. (Nair also works but u arms are intangible during darkest lariat).
If ur in the middle of the stage and u grabbed someone at 170%, an Uthrow has more chance of killing than a Bthrow or a Fthrow. (Specially if your standing in a platform.)
If ur getting combed real hard dont lose patience, remember that u are heavy and have a frame 3 counter, and could potentially even it up with 1 or two hit with revenge.

Last edited:

KingAcid

Smash Rookie
Hey I finally made my combo in video, only one take tho since I had hard time landing it from the 1 Frame speed. Also I don't have the stuff needed to take it directly from the switch so I used my phone. If anyone able to reproduce it for better quality please do.

I tested it with level 9 CPU (which I show in the video) Shuffle: A lot (Which I forgot to show)

https://youtu.be/NLX9GI2cZ4Q

Whitephoenixace

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7304-2300-4542
So not sure how much know this but i was messing with incine and it seems u can still true combo up b off dthrow once u jump closw enough at low percents (even after 0%). Not sure on others yet but dthrow to up b still worked on ddd at 40% once i jumped closw enough afterwards. Dthrow seems to put in enough hitstun for u still be able to get close to them at the longer launch distance. Only issue is ur gonna have to jump farther before starting it. Not sure how it is vs otherweights or at different percwnts but just saying should probably lab it so u could still catch someone even after they got off the 0 range.

Edit: seems to get tighter as i go up. But without di it seems u can still do it up to 60. With di might be tighter to pull off but like i said it seems u can still dthrow to up b even if they are sitting around 20-30 (depending on the char of course)

Last edited:

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
From what I can tell, a lot of online players tend to think that if they cheese Incineroar offstage then it's basically in the bag. It's always fun to bust out some good recovery moves and get back onstage easily, then watch as they try to formulate a plan to get you back offstage.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
So not sure how much know this but i was messing with incine and it seems u can still true combo up b off dthrow once u jump closw enough at low percents (even after 0%). Not sure on others yet but dthrow to up b still worked on ddd at 40% once i jumped closw enough afterwards. Dthrow seems to put in enough hitstun for u still be able to get close to them at the longer launch distance. Only issue is ur gonna have to jump farther before starting it. Not sure how it is vs otherweights or at different percwnts but just saying should probably lab it so u could still catch someone even after they got off the 0 range.

Edit: seems to get tighter as i go up. But without di it seems u can still do it up to 60. With di might be tighter to pull off but like i said it seems u can still dthrow to up b even if they are sitting around 20-30 (depending on the char of course)
I need to try this myself when I get the time

melto

Smash Rookie
From what I can tell, a lot of online players tend to think that if they cheese Incineroar offstage then it's basically in the bag. It's always fun to bust out some good recovery moves and get back onstage easily, then watch as they try to formulate a plan to get you back offstage.
True.
Imo Incineroar recovery isnt that bad, with the available mixups..

MA_DA_Oh

Smash Cadet
Is it ok to post footage you found somewhere else? cause I saw a few good Incineroars in one of the reddit boards a few months ago.

Top Bottom