• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some relevant things Sakurai said on the Direct

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
On the direct, Sakurai said some relevant things, like:

1. There will be more fighters affter the 5th DLC fighter. He also said this will bring the opportunity to please the fans of the game.
2. He really thinks that it will be pretty hard for a future Smash game to have that many characters again.
3. Home Run Contest is back, but it is probably the last new game mode of the game.
4. "Go play Banjo on Xbox!"

What you guys think about it? There was anything else that you think it is important?

What I have to say about these things are...

1. I'm happy about it. I think we can presume the game will probably be very active and present in Nintendo Directs at least for the next year too. Also, he looks like he is trying to please the fans of the game, can we presume that we will mostly have the most request characters in the game? (Geno, and others..)

2. This is what I think too, but I'm not sad about it. Ultimate will keep existing, and I actually would preffer a new Smash with a bigger focus in online structure and game modes that you take more time inside the matches. Not like WoL or Classic Modes that are mostly small quick battles on regular stages, or small and quick minigames, but modes with levels that you really need to fight and advance, something that Subspace tried to achieve but failed (a campaign done right).

3. This made me a bit sad. I really like the new characters, but being really true to myself, I never play with any character that are not the ones that I like, I buy the DLCs just to satisfy my desire to have the collection of the characters, and I would really preffer that they keep making game modes. They dont even need to create new things, there are at least a few good game modes from previous games that can just be adapted for Ultimate, like Smash Run from the 3DS game, that is my most wanted game mode. I'm kind of tired of the similar quick battles of WoL, Classic Mode and Spirit Board. Most of the time all these 3 modes feel like the same, and Smash Run is different, you have enemies, more time in the levels... bring more modes please, dont stop, and not only the quick ones...

4. That was just very fun to hear in a Nintendo Direct.

Last edited:

GrieverSSBU

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 1500 9618 1710
On the direct, Sakurais said some relevant things, like:

1. There will be more fighters affter the 5th DLC fighter. He also said this will bring the opportunity to please the fans of the game.
2. He really thinks that it will be pretty hard for a future Smash game to have that many characters again.
3. Home Run Contest is back, but it is probably the last new game mode of the game.

What you guys think about it? There was anything else that you think it is important?

What I have to say about these things are...

1. I'm happy about it. I think we can presume the game will probably be very active and present in Nintendo Directs at least for the next year too. Also, he looks like he is trying to please the fans of the game, can we presume that we will mostly have the most request characters in the game? (Geno, and others..)

2. This is what I think too, but I'm not sad about it. Ultimate will keep existing, and I actually would preffer a new Smash with a bigger focus in online structure and game modes that you take more time inside the matches. Not like WoL or Classic Modes that are mostly small quick battles on regular stages, or small and quick minigames, but modes with levels that you really need to fight and advance, something that Subspace tried to achieve but failed (a campaign done right).

3. This made me a bit sad. I really like the new characters, but being really true to myself, I never play with any character that are not the ones that I like, I buy the DLCs just to satisfy my desire to have the collection of the characters, and I would really preffer that they keep making game modes. They dont even need to create new things, there are at least a few good game modes from previous games that can just be adapted for Ultimate, like Smash Run from the 3DS game, that is my most wanted game mode. I'm kind of tired of the similar quick battles of WoL, Classic Mode and Spirit Board. Most of the time all these 3 modes feel like the same, and Smash Run is different, you have enemies, more time in the levels... bring more modes please, dont stop, and not only the quick ones...

4. That was just very fun to hear in a Nintendo Direct.
I personally wouldn't be surprised if we got Break the Targets back. He said HRC was "pretty much" the last mode. If he said it was the last mode for sure then I wouldn't feel that way. Then again I called HRC's return when I saw Mr Sandbag on top of Spiral Mountain in the Banjo Kazooie reveal. I feel like hes got more to surprise us with.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
The cry of my heart at that time: PORT IT TO SWITCH, YOU CHEAP ****S!!!

Or at least PC. If they didn't have an XBox before, they're not going to buy one just for Banjo.

And make it an HD remake! Banjo deserves that more than Crash does.
Then again I called HRC's return when I saw Mr Sandbag on top of Spiral Mountain in the Banjo Kazooie reveal. I feel like hes got more to surprise us with.
You do know that Sandbag is an item in the game, right? It can show up on any stage, and has been included from the start.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I personally wouldn't be surprised if we got Break the Targets back. He said HRC was "pretty much" the last mode. If he said it was the last mode for sure then I wouldn't feel that way. Then again I called HRC's return when I saw Mr Sandbag on top of Spiral Mountain in the Banjo Kazooie reveal. I feel like hes got more to surprise us with.
"Pretty much the final new mode" might suggest something smaller like another option within a mode or that mode being online or something, in which case maybe Target Test could sneak in as an option in Stage Builder to make your own, or even a Boss Rush that's essentially Classic Mode anyway, or a Custom Smash option to beat up a bunch of KO-able ATs in a map before your match to power your fighter up... (those are stretches tho lol).

I mean, there was already a Boss Rush thing (minus the hands) in WoL's finale, and it'd be way easier to implement than something like Home Run Contest, also filling the void left by All-Star. Could it be a section within WoL after you've already beaten the campaign?

Last edited:

Astroking112

Smash Cadet
I'd absolutely love to see a Bosses mode unlocked after beating World of Light (ideally, I'd like it to be open earlier and unlock after you defeat each boss in World of Light or Classic Mode, but just locking everything behind one thing would be easier to implement). Just let us fight any boss with any character when we want to (preferably with 1-3 friends as well) or do them all in a row in a Boss Rush and I'll be happy (although I'd love to see a playable Hand vs. Friends submode as well).

Some kind of mode that lets us fight the KO-able Assist Trophies would also be appreciated, if only so they can get more use. It'd be a solid fit for being added to the Multi-Smash section, and would hopefully be small enough to be worth adding in.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I just want to be able to play as the Hand whenever I want.

Yeah, all the talk of pleasing the fans and bringing back HRC over Break the Targets seems odd.

Though, uh, they said there would be more DLC in the direct.

The idea of cuts going forward is a good thing to me as well even if it means my favorite is likely getting the axe. Not like they respected her character anyway. Might be for the best to put her to rest.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
The cry of my heart at that time: PORT IT TO SWITCH, YOU CHEAP ****S!!!

Or at least PC. If they didn't have an XBox before, they're not going to buy one just for Banjo.

And make it an HD remake! Banjo deserves that more than Crash does.
Why? Because you like Banjo more?

It's totally fine to want a Banjo remake but let's not delude ourselves.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Tbf, a licensed SpongeBob game of all things got a remaster before Banjo did. Tho Banjos games are already in XBLA/Rare Replay form so it might be redundant anyway.

What about having you control Master Hand as the penultimate minigame of the Boss Rush? Would kinda fit in there anyway.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Sakurai mentioned for the second time that having a roster as large as this is probably not going to happen again. I wonder if he will continue saying this because by having a large roster as this, future Super Smash Bros. games will be seen as a downgrade. Most people want new characters. This is the impression I've seen from reaction videos. Just before Nintendo Direct begins and ends, fans wonder who the new character(s) will be. I won't be surprised in SSB6 falls short to player expectation, even if the fighting mechanics are refined, Adventure Mode is better, trophies return, &c. I wonder if by repeating that it is unlikely the roster will be as large as it is, knowing this will buffer the transition from SSBU to SSB6.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
The more Sakurai talks about how hard it will be for the next game to have this many characters, the more concerned I am that the next roster will be massively trimmed down as opposed to Ultimate with more characters. I hope at the least all of the first-party characters can return.

I fear that in a reboot or roster culling, characters like Captain Falcon, Ness and Lucas, the Kid Icarus characters, and the retro characters would be cut. Characters like that are a huge part of Smash's charm for me.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I fear that in a reboot or roster culling, characters like Captain Falcon, Ness and Lucas, the Kid Icarus characters, and the retro characters would be cut. Characters like that are a huge part of Smash's charm for me.
I think the main characters from each first party franchise are definitely, absolutely safe. Falcon, Ness, and Pit aren't going anywhere. Lucas, DP, and Palutena are candidates, but there are many others. If there are any first parties I'm confident will go, I would guess Doc and Young Link.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing with the success of the character DLC they probably think bringing in new characters will attract different audience to the game besides Nintendo fans. Sounds good to me though, maybe an astral chain character. ;_;

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
I think the main characters from each first party franchise are definitely, absolutely safe. Falcon, Ness, and Pit aren't going anywhere. Lucas, DP, and Palutena are candidates, but there are many others. If there are any first parties I'm confident will go, I would guess Doc and Young Link.
I would prefer that not happen but you're probably right.

Top Bottom