• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Some questions from a Pokken newcomer

How many mains is it recommendable to have in Pokken?

• Total voters

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

So in my gaming club at my college that I attend, we just got a Wii U. We purchased Mario Kart 8, Smash 4 and Pokken Tournament. Since I heard some good things about Pokken, I became really interested on how the game is played. I'm not a huge Pokemon enthusiastic, but I do love how the game looks. I tried the game, and I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. However, I want to keep trying and trying, because there might be some things that I don't see that I might enjoy. Plus, I don't know if that's just me, but it was hard for me to kinda get into this game even though I heard that it's very easy to pick up and play, but to me, it's not. Maybe it was because of Smash. Basically I have some questions:
1) What should I do (in steps) and consider (questions that I should ask) in order to choose a main in Pokken?
2) Is this game more competitive or more casual?
3) Is the roster balanced? Is there tier gaps?

As a side note, I don't plan to play Pokken as seriously as Smash, because I do prefer playing the latter, because I do like its competitive design more than Pokken along with diverse franchises. I'm still interested at playing Pokken by the time being. Thanks for answering these questions.

Last edited:

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
1) It's literally a case of finding your playstyle, the cast is pretty evenly balanced, so that's not an issue.
2) Can be both, it's got a very competitive side though
3) Nah, roster is honestly balanced for the most part.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Also, do you have to understand the Pokemon franchise in order to play this game or not really? Based from my experience when choosing a main in Smash, I bet it's going to be long. Plus, how many classes of characters they are in this game and what are they (such as speed, balanced, power, etc.)? We didn't unlocked every character, so I don't really know.

Pokken boys time::4pikachu::4lucario::4charizard::4mewtwo:.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
Also, do you have to understand the Pokemon franchise in order to play this game or not really? Based from my experience when choosing a main in Smash, I bet it's going to be long. Plus, how many classes of characters they are in this game and what are they (such as speed, balanced, power, etc.)? We didn't unlocked every character, so I don't really know.

Pokken boys time::4pikachu::4lucario::4charizard::4mewtwo:.
You don't have to understand the Pokemon Franchise at all, it's not related to the main games aside from aesthetics. There are a few types of characters in the game, but honestly they all play super differently, so just play them all to see who you like.

btw there are two unlockable characters, Mewtwo (who is given to you after you beat Shadow Mewtwo in the story) and Shadow Mewtwo (who is after you beat the League after that).

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
You don't have to be a massive fan of pokemon to get into this game. I have a friend who could care less about the Pokemon franchise, yet when he played the game he loved it. He even told me that he wanted to play Garchomp just because he was a purple shark that swims in and attacks from the ground. The point I'm trying to make is that its a solid fighting game in and of itself, and you don't need to necessarily like Pokemon to enjoy the game or find a character that you enjoy.

There are 4 main character types in the game: Balanced, Speed, Power, and Technical. The two unlockable characters, Mewtwo and Shadow Mewtwo, are balanced and technical respectively.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
I wonder. How do technical characters work in Pokken? Are there many types of technical characters? Are they technical characters to where you have to rely on strategy (:4pacman:for example)? On precision or spacing (:4marth:in Smash for example)? Or on technical button imputs (:foxmelee:for example)? I mainly don't like characters that have to rely on complicated button imputs just like Melee Fox, because I do feel uncomfortable playing them, so I was wondering if there were characters that have to rely on those button imputs in order to succeed.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Technical characters tend to be very frail, not particularly fast, and don't have brute force or the most Power, but make up for it by having very powerful spacing tools/unique mechanics (Gengar being able to cancel moves by disappearing into shadows, Gardevoir with a "float" that acts as a midair jump/air specific counterattack and boosting/charge moves, Shadow Mewtwo having powerful moves that cost him some of his health and also being able to use Recover to self heal, etc.). All of them are proficient at zoning, but they aren't particularly input-intensive.

While they're good at range/most are good at Field phase, they're not outright better than characters with powerful beam spam (Suicune, Braixen and Mewtwo who are Standard, while Chandelure who is Power arguably do just as good, if not better). Essentially they're considered glass cannons that focus on winning through either mix ups or good use of their unique tools, rather than sheer damage output of Power characters, all out rushdown and traps of Speed characters or balanced middle ground/whittling chip damage of Standard characters.

They take a lot of getting used to, but are usually very rewarding (and can be absolutely devastating) when mastered.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Wow. I guess I can look forward to these characters. I'm a fan of multiple playstyles in Smash (mostly all types except for power, because I don't like being slow), so I guess that Pokken still applies here. Gonna look more to technique, balanced and speedy types of characters in Pokken. Thanks.

Hey guys,

After all these days of research and after play of the characters, I discovered and I'm confident that I'm interested in two characters in Pokken. These characters are Pikachu Libre and Mewtwo. I wish to know the basic or a more detailed overview of these characters to see if they are really for me in terms of playstyle. Thanks. XD

Sorry for the double post btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veggi

Smash Champion
The best way to see if they're for you is to play as them a lot, but I can provide you a little bit of information on Pika Libre because she's mu favorite.

She's a grappler character that gets a power boost for activating phase switches by using her special moves (A attacks) and throws. Her powered up moves also gives you the ability to temporarily stun enemies with certain moves. Generally the goal is to ignite as many phase switches as possible preferably with electroweb so it applies the slow effect to them.

In field phase I generally try to look for an opportunity to get in such as using quick attack to get through a projectile or try to maneuver around with double team shenanigans or canceled counter attacks. Against characters that don't have a decent ranged game, fully charged Discharge spam can be really good especially against opponents that jump a lot. Then Pikachu's other projectiles are pretty good too especially the back ranged attack because if you hold it down when your back is against a wall, you will get a wall jump.

In field phase you just try to get in by quick attacking through a projectile or canceling your counter and then mix up the opponent by using Pikachu's anti-air weak attack, slamming into them with counter attacks, or grabbing them. When Libre is in close it's kind of just a matter of learning the other player's habits and reading them so you can hit them with moves that will start a combo. Pressuring the opponent into the wall is definitely a duel phase goal. Also, wild charge is a good move but generally try being confident before you use it because it's one of the few moves that is punishable on block.

Top Bottom