• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some new possible ness tech

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
It'd be more helpful if you could condense an 11 minute video into a couple paragraphs of text, but I digress.

Ness generally has several other options that are less risky and more rewarding than using Magnet's windbox. It sounds good on paper but for example, you could only feasibly get a Uair or Fair from Magnet, whereas several other safer options (dash back, SH/FH back) can net you those and much more (think PKF or your own grab).

If you had a hard read (and you'd probably need one to try the Magnet thing - it's rare for someone to just run up and grab in the neutral), you could even dash back and pivot tipper Fsmash them in the face. Windboxes are also invalidated by shields so if they approach with a running shield (not unheard of) you'll eat an aerial OoS during Magnet's lag. If they approach with an empty SH they might get pushed back slightly, but it's likely you'll still eat a spaced aerial, since they can react to Magnet.

Basically what I'm saying is that the risk - reward is not attractive compared to Ness' other established options, since it's not quite safe and the most you can get out of such a read is one or two aerials.

As for buffering a pivot (Dsmash out of Fair), that's not really a Ness specific tech and it's not really new either. It does have some use though.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Jc magnet > magnet > uair definitely isn't the fastest and safest way to net an uair. Hell, just throwing magnet out in neutral at ground level is a poor option unless the opponent is already scared of your stage presence. A lot of what you're showing off (or attempting to) isn't exactly "new tech" or exclusive to Ness.

Last edited:

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Jc magnet > magnet > uair definitely isn't the fastest and safest way to net an uair. Hell, just throwing magnet out in neutral at ground level is a poor option unless the opponent is already scared of your stage presence.
I'm gonna agree here lol.

Ness' jumpsquat is 5 frames (which I believe means he leaves the ground at frame 6?)
Uair starts on Frame 8.
You'd get a frame 14 Uair at best.

Ness' SH is 42 frames.
Uair autocancels on frame 27 onward.
So basically if you input it within the first 15 frames of the SH you will get a Uair that would always autocancel (tho you can't input it too quick or you'll JC U-Smash)

==

Now with Magnet...
Startup is 18 frames and it takes 12 frames to put down minimum (30 frames total, minimum).
Jump is at least 5 frames (and I'd imagine there's more frames needed to Double jump)
Takes another 8 frames to Uair, but it probably wouldn't even autocancel.

So really you're adding like at least half a second to Uair and likely won't autocancel it anyway.

Frame data is from here~

==

I'm afraid to say I don't think any of this is practical lol (not to be mean or anything).

Top Bottom