• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Solved] Gecko Codes Fail To Load

Skizerz

Smash Rookie
Before starting, yes, I've read all over the place and I've been stumped for hours on this problem! Basically, I just installed Homebrew Channel on my Wii (Version 4.3U). I got BootMii installed, and I got Gecko (Version 1.9.3.1) installed. All are working just fine, it boots to BootMii as expected, from there I can launch HomeBrew, and from there I can launch Gecko. Gecko opens just fine also. (FYI, I used LetterBomb to installed homebrew, not sure what version of homebrew tbh, and I don't think it'd cause this issue anyway, considering everything launches as expected).

In my SD root directory, I have a "codes" folder (AKA SD:\codes\) and in there I have a GCT file (GALE01.GCT) with the Melee netplay community settings codes applied in it and nothing else. When I select Launch Game in Gecko it says "Setting up Drive" and doesn't show any more text, it just gets stuck for a second or 2 then launches the game without attempting to load codes.

Things I've tried:
-Reformatting my entire SD to FAT32 and reinstalling everything
-Changing the Hook type in the Gecko options to every option one at a time
-Recreating the GCT file (using Ocarina Code Manager of course)
-Moving the GALE01.GCT file to SD:\apps\Gecko1931\codes\, (doesn't work, same outcome)
-Locking write privileges on the SD card on and off.
-Checking my Melee disc to make sure I have 1.02 (I do)
-Making copy of the file named GALE02.GCT and putting a copy of it in all 3 code locations I've tried out of desperation
-Blowing on the SD card
-Praying to all existing and non-existing gods

Is there a possibility the netplay community gecko codes I'm using don't work on wii? I wouldn't think that'd be the case, and it appears that Gecko isn't even attempting to load the codes in the first place. The size constraint in Ocarina Code Editor is under the max limit so that shouldn't be a problem AFAIK. Also, my Gecko menu only shows Launch Game, Config Options, About, and Exit as menu selections. I don't think this is an issue, and I believe has to do with launching it through homebrew, and not launching it's boot.elf from the SD's root. Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: Is the name you give it in the "Game Name" section in Ocarina Code Editor important? If it is I probably named it incorrectly. If it's not important, let me know.

EDIT 2: Got it working after much debacle

Last edited:

BluMagma

Smash Rookie
Can you let us know what you did to fix it? I have the same issue.

Top Bottom