• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Solo Practice Methods?

StarInaBox

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I was wondering about ways to practice and improve at Smash 4 without playing against other people. There isn't a big Smash 4 scene near me and I feel like wifi is stunting my growth as a player. Are there any general or perhaps character specific (I main Olimar and Ike) techniques I could practice? And how would I go about practicing those said techniques?

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
Hey guys, I was wondering about ways to practice and improve at Smash 4 without playing against other people. There isn't a big Smash 4 scene near me and I feel like wifi is stunting my growth as a player. Are there any general or perhaps character specific (I main Olimar and Ike) techniques I could practice? And how would I go about practicing those said techniques?
Just find and perfect all the tech you can and theorycraft as good of a gameplan as you can. It's what PPMD did in Melee when he didn't have much of a scene near him, and he is (probably) still one of the best in the world.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You can use Training Mode to practice different techniques using Olimar. You can also check out the Olimar room located here. You can get some ideas and try to work off those ideas. The best way to see if these methods work if you play against others. If For Glory isn't your cup of tea, you may just have to bite the bullet and practice your new stuff there.

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
Rather then only going into training mode and practicing new techs and new combos, go into the replay section and watch old replays you have saved up of you playing with your two mains you listed above.

Here is the mindset you should have in this case:
"I'm watching a replay where I lost to Sheik as Little Mac. How could I have lost? What did I do wrong? Well from what I have been seeing in the replay, Sheik seems to have a lethal advantage once she 'short-hop Fairs' me which can lead into some long combos that are difficult to break out of and rack up devistating amounts of damage. So how can I avoid this? Well I know Mac has incredible ground speed so maybe it would be best to take advantage of that and be on the defensive along with using my shield. I should not risk gambling a potential stock by playing too much on the offensive when it will be punished by a move like Sheiks Fair or Ftilt which can come out VERY quickly."

This is the mindset that you should have. Remeber, replays are your friends. About 75% of the time, what you learn from a replay is something you can't take to training mode. In my opinion, getting familiar with matchup stradegies is the #1 thing you should do before going into training mode. It's one thing to learn TECHs and combos but if you don't know what situations to apply them in, what good are they?

For example, I can go into training mode now and learn perfect-pivoting but after learning it how am I suppose to know when to use the TECH if I havent discovered a need for it?

Right now, I am learning the BIDOU TECH mechanics because based on mistakes I have analized on replay's while playing as Little Mac, I have discovered that spacing is a giant priority in playing effectively as Little Mac especially against high-tier characters like Diddy Kong, Cloud, Rosalina, Sheik, etc.

Hope this helps man! Good luck to you!

Top Bottom