• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soldier From The Surface: Quote For Smash Switch

Do You Like Cave Story?

• Yes

• No

• Haven't Played It

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I made a mockup for what a Mimiga Village stage could look like.
1622913161117.png

(Note: the roof of the house is a platform.)
Also, a thought: back when we were discussing Quote on the Character Exploration Thread, it was brought up how many potential artstyles there are for a Cave Story stage, and I think that's worth discussion.
  • Retro: Keep it in the original pixel artstyle, a la Duck Hunt or Mario Bros.
  • In-Between: Use a modern 3D artstyle, but keep the village’s color scheme and design the same.
  • Modern: Redesign the aesthetics to look more modern (maybe resembling the Cave Story 3D version).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not sure when this happened, but Cave Story Plus on the Switch was updated to version 1.3. I'm not sure what the soundtrack options were before (Ridiculing might be new, but I don't know), so I'm not sure if anything was added, but I think the Challenges are working again.

(Edit: the update seemed to be around June 11th, going by Twitter)

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm not sure when this happened, but Cave Story Plus on the Switch was updated to version 1.3. I'm not sure what the soundtrack options were before (Ridiculing might be new, but I don't know), so I'm not sure if anything was added, but I think the Challenges are working again.

(Edit: the update seemed to be around June 11th, going by Twitter)
Looking up some other people's statements on the matter it seems like the Challenges fix was the thing they did. Ridiculon's take on the OST has been there since Launch I think.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Just wondering, what do you think is the chance of us getting a Cave Story rep but it's Curly, and Quote is either a costume or not playable at all?
Cases like Pyra/Mythra and Min Min got me curious.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Just wondering, what do you think is the chance of us getting a Cave Story rep but it's Curly, and Quote is either a costume or not playable at all?
Technically possible--there is precedent with both the characters you mentioned and Quote/Curly themselves (Curly was given considerably higher billing in Blade Strangers, though Quote still appeared there), but Smash is specifically about representing the original games as best as possible.

Min Min was pushed over Spring Man because the game's director asked for her specifically. Pyra/Mythra were used alone instead of with Rex because combining them with him was considered technically infeasible.

I don't see any situation where Sakurai would be forced to pick Curly over Quote, the actual main character, unless Nicalis (or Pixel?) was insistent on her like Yabuki was, but that seems very unlikely. And in terms of gameplay, the two are near-identical, so if Curly could work, Quote would as well.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I heavily doubt that, because Quote doesn't suffer from beign an AT or a Mii Costume like Spring Man and Rex, which as much as fans want to deny it, i think was a major reason as to why we don't have them (at least with Spring Man, it's pretty clear Sakurai has refused so far to promote any AT and Mii Costume via DLC, if there was no Arms AT in the base game im sure Spring Man would have been chosen)

Paraster

Smash Lord

Paraster

Smash Lord
quote deltarune large.png
Did a sprite for what Quote would look like if he appeared in Deltarune. Thought I might as well share it here.

I feel like this pose might work for Quote's render if he got in Smash.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
1 hour until the Direct. Hoping Quote somehow gets in.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I think the Plantation is something of a sleeper pick for a potential stage. It's fully underground (sorry, Outer Wall fans, but I firmly believe the Cave Story stage should be a cave) but is rather spacious, making it more plausible to cram the platforms and blast zones in there, it's important but doesn't really spoil anything (lack of context for what's happening would prevent spoilery info from being conveyed), it's associated with the game's main theme, and a farm stage is a fun and unique (I think?) idea.

Paraster

Smash Lord
This thread is really the main reason I joined this site; Quote was (still is) my most wanted, and I wanted a place to discuss ideas about him. With Ultimate truly complete and the Speculation forum closing, that probably isn't going to be the same for a while. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone I've bounced ideas off of, and wish everyone good luck for Quote in the hypothetical next Smash (as well as new Cave Story/Studio Pixel content in general).

Top Bottom