• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soldier From The Surface: Quote For Smash Switch

Do You Like Cave Story?

• Yes

• No

• Haven't Played It

Results are only viewable after voting.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I'd say Quote came out lucky. He's not as obscure as Madotsuki or that other indie baseball dude
Which indie baseball due are you referring to?

If Bayonetta is an obscure 3rd party character who can get in, then I think Quote can get in too. But I can live with Quote, Bayonetta, Sackboy (Little Big Planet), and Lilac (Freedom Planet) being obscure.

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Which indie baseball due are you referring to?

If Bayonetta is an obscure 3rd party character who can get in, then I think Quote can get in too. But I can live with Quote, Bayonetta, Sackboy (Little Big Planet), and Lilac (Freedom Planet) being obscure.
I can't find him but he's got on a whole baseball outfit and carries a bat.

Sesame. I know I keep comparing it to Undertale, but I only do because Toby himself said that it was an inspiration. It isn't really fair for Sans to get in as a mii when Quote and Curly get nothing but...ugh...I just accept kids don't like playing "old games"

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I can't find him but he's got on a whole baseball outfit and carries a bat.
If you do find the baseball guy you mentioned, please tell me what game is he from.

Sesame. I know I keep comparing it to Undertale, but I only do because Toby himself said that it was an inspiration. It isn't really fair for Sans to get in as a mii when Quote and Curly get nothing but...ugh...I just accept kids don't like playing "old games"
Undertale is already the world's most famous indie game to this day. Not to mention, Frisk (Undertale) is already my most wanted indie rep.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it used to be cavestory...but it's okay. I don't mind undertale, haven't played it really so I have no opinion on it.

I just want CS to have more attention to it since it was so influential.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Yeah it used to be cavestory...but it's okay. I don't mind undertale, haven't played it really so I have no opinion on it.

I just want CS to have more attention to it since it was so influential.
I'm sorry, it just bugs me, but unfortunately, we have to live with Quote being obscure. :(

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. But if it helps so was Terry.
Hell I didn't even know who Terry was when he was revealed.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Yeah. But if it helps so was Terry.
Hell I didn't even know who Terry was when he was revealed.
Like I've said earlier, Terry (King of FIghters) and Ren (Persona) are not obscure, and neither is Saber (Fate) or Hero (Dragon Quest). You need more awareness sir.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gonna cross post something I said in the Bandana Dee thread since this helps our boy Quote as well!

Coming to to you guys with a little theory!

It's based on Voice Threoy. Now contrary to popular belief, it's not about forming a perfect box. it's about filling up placeholder slots in the game's files! We had five left when Steve was added. Sephiroth took up two, and Pyra/Mythra might do the same. That leaves us with one voice slot for two characters. Voiceless characters have no voice slots, so this means that, providing the next patch doesn't add any, that one of the remaining characters will be silent. This helps Bandana Dee immensely! Alongside that, he could be our final first party as a way of thanking HAL, in the Ultimate Smash game, for getting Smash off of the ground. So come March if the Pyra/Mythra patch adds no more placeholder voice slots, then we have a good amount of hope!

Plus Bandana Dee has little to no competition in this regard!
Other voiceless contenders:
Prince of all Cosmos
Louie (they refused to give Olimar his voice, same could happen for Louie)
Master Chief (?)
Adeleine

Keep your eyes peeled!

Paraster

Smash Lord
Okay, something that's always bugged me--Curly's in-game sprites show her wearing pink, but most official art and cameos make her outfit more red.
I do like how the red makes her look closer to Quote's, but I just wish there was more consistency.
On that note, do you think they'd go for red or pink for her default look in Smash?

(Also, while I have you, I'd appreciate if you'd check out my Quote doc in my signature; I've been working on it on and off for a while and would like opinions on its current state.)

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Okay, something that's always bugged me--Curly's in-game sprites show her wearing pink, but most official art and cameos make her outfit more red.
I do like how the red makes her look closer to Quote's, but I just wish there was more consistency.
On that note, do you think they'd go for red or pink for her default look in Smash?
I would think it would be her red outfit since it's her blade strangers and crystal crisis design.
(Also, while I have you, I'd appreciate if you'd check out my Quote doc in my signature; I've been working on it on and off for a while and would like opinions on its current state.)
I'd love too but I'm on mobile right now. I'll see if I can see it when I get back on the computer

Paraster

Smash Lord
I've put down either the Spur or the Nemesis on their own as Final Smashes for Quote in the past, but I just thought of another neat idea:

8-Bit Striker
Quote fires a Lv. 3 shot from the Nemesis that pierces through opponents. All opponents hit are paralyzed as the screen goes white.
A cinematic plays where the opponents land in First Cave, rendered in its pixel version. Quote walks in as a sprite and fires a series of Nemesis shots while jumping, then fires a full-strength laser from the Spur.
(I’m not sure if they’d use the original artstyle or the remastered + graphics for the sprites.)

Inspired by one of Curly's Ultra Skills from Blade Strangers (to the point of using the exact same name). I think Cave Story being one of the earliest games to go for a deliberately retro artstyle doesn't get enough credit.

Paraster

Smash Lord
fighters pass 2 quote.png
fighters pass 2 quote plus curly.png

Made these little windows as part of mockups of what I'd like to see from the rest of Fighters Pass Vol. 2. Initially had just Quote, but decided it'd be appropriate to have a version that included Curly (had to pick different Quote art so they matched).

Also, a heads up: when Source Gaming does their big Smash poll for 2021, make sure to vote Quote. I just looked at last year's results, and he came so close to hitting 100 votes (he got 98, which placed him at #47, losing to Hat Kid by one vote).

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
The best thing about Quote or Curly probably getting to Smash is that they will finally get good looking 3d models.

CS3D wasn't the best and Crystal Crisis looks like this odd mix between pixar and anime

Paraster

Smash Lord
We begin with a shot of a floating island, seemingly the Isle of the Ancients from Brawl.
We cut in to see the entrance to a high-tech facility going down beneath the island, with Samus's gunship visible on the side.
We cut in further to a corridor of that facility, dark and empty--save for Zero Suit Samus and Richter, who walk past.
We see a door open from the interior of a room; Samus and Richter are standing on the other side. They walk in.
After looking around the room for a bit, Samus and Richter stop in surprise as they see something--Mega Man and R.O.B., hooked up to machinery on the wall.
Samus sees a terminal a short distance from the robots, pointing it out to Richter. He shrugs, and she signals him towards the robots.
Samus goes up to the terminal and starts typing at it. On the monitor, we see a diagram of Mega Man outlined in green appear. We then see a diagram of R.O.B. appear, also in green--until it suddenly turns red as a loud crashing sound rings out.
Samus turns to see Richter has torn R.O.B. off the wall. R.O.B. doesn't seem to be damaged, but is still offline. Richter gives a thumbs-up, and Samus turns back to the monitor.
Samus then gives a small jolt of surprise as something else appears on screen--a diagram of an unknown figure (looking like a human in a cap) outlined in red. Samus signals Richter, and he walks up, still holding R.O.B.
In a dark corner of the room, a figure points a large white weapon at the two. Three missiles fire from it; Samus and Richter hear them fire and turn to see.
Cut to a more well-lit cavern, filled with houses and a few bunny-people--until the cave wall close to the ceiling explodes, with Samus, Richter, and R.O.B. being flung out. The bunny-people turn and run.
Through the hole in the wall, we see the attacker standing at the ledge. They drop their large weapon and grab a blue gun from their hip. They jump down towards Samus and Richter, who struggle to get themselves battle-ready. (R.O.B. is still turned off.)
The figure lands and points his gun at the two.
Quote Takes the Shot!
<insert random gameplay, showing off Quote's wide variety of projectile moves>
We see some gameplay of Quote fighting Zero Suit Samus and Richter on his stage, Mimiga Village, which then leads back into a cinematic.
Quote is struggling against the two, and Richter leaps at him--but then gets hit by a volley of white projectiles from off-screen, knocking him away. Quote and Samus turn to see the new figure, holding a red gun.
Curly Guns Down!
<insert more random gameplay, particularly establishing that Curly is an alternate model for Quote, until the end>
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Cave Story
Quote reveal trailer concept.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
If Pit has guidance for Curly he better remember the "machine gun wielding girlfriend" comment

"I knew you would get me one, Lady Palutena."

Paraster

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about movesets lately and left this comment on BrawlFan1's Quote video.

"Revisiting this, I think this might actually be better than my own moveset. Mine tried to get ALL of Quote's weapons in, and it was a bit too cluttered and messy. This is a lot simpler, and I'm not sure if this was on purpose or not, but all of these weapons are actually capable of being possessed all at once in the original game; no cases of mutual exclusivity due to trades (save for the Spur, but that's easy to write around). The only changes I'd make are that I'd make the forward smash a horizontal Blade throw, move the Spur to the Final Smash to reflect its status as an "ultimate weapon," and make the forward aerial be Quote throwing the Whimsical Star forward as a multihit disjoint. And MAYBE add in a gimmick based on the experience bar, but this moveset would work with or without that."​
Do you think simpler is better, or that we should try to cram in everything we can?

(Edit: also look at what I made)

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking maybe Quote/Curly could change weapons with down taunt a la Pokemon trainer.

Each weapon could have different animations and effects

Paraster

Smash Lord
Based on what I posted last night, I decided to start a new moveset (partially) from scratch, taking inspiration from BrawlFan1's and keeping to the "no mutually exclusive weapons unless they can be easily written around" concept. I came up with two slightly different concepts, with the Final Smash and neutral special being the main divergences.
Both of these may incorporate the experience mechanic but are reasonable without them (some lines detail specific upgrades from the mechanic or how it'd be different without the mechanic).
  • Neutral attack
    • Quote fires a shot from the Polar Star.
  • Dash attack
    • Quote does a leaping slash with the Blade, similar to Link’s dash attack.
      • Based on King’s attack with the Blade on Balrog in the Storehouse.
  • Forward tilt
    • Quote fires a shot from the Polar Star while moving forwards.
  • Down tilt
    • Quote does a quick stab forward and downward with the Blade.
  • Forward smash
    • Quote throws the Blade forward a short distance.
      • This attack does not count as a projectile.
      • Higher levels increase the Blade’s vertical reach.
      • At level 3, the Blade drags along targets and hits them multiple times until the attack ends.
      • Without the experience mechanic, charge time governs the level.
  • Up smash
    • Quote throws the Blade upward a short distance.
      • This attack does not count as a projectile.
      • Higher levels increase the Blade’s horizontal reach.
      • At level 3, the Blade drags along targets and hits them multiple times until the attack ends.
      • Without the experience mechanic, charge time governs the level.
  • Down smash
    • Quote does a crouching slash with the Blade, while King’s spirit does a slash behind him.
  • Neutral aerial
    • Quote fires a shot from the Polar Star in midair.
  • Forward aerial
    • Quote throws the Whimsical Star, a multihit disjoint, forward.
  • Back aerial
    • Quote swings the Blade in an upward slash behind himself.
  • Up aerial
    • Quote shoots the Polar Star upward.
  • Grab
    • Quote swings the Tow Rope forward.
      • This is a tether grab.
  • Pummel
    • Quote hammers into his opponent with the barrel of the Polar Star.
  • Forward throw
    • Quote shoots his opponent point-blank with the Polar Star.
      • Resembles his throw from Blade Strangers.
  • Back throw
    • Quote swaps positions with his opponent, then shoots them point-blank with the Polar Star.
      • Resembles his throw from Blade Strangers.
  • Up throw
    • Quote does a leaping upward slash with the Blade, carrying and throwing his opponent upward.
  • Side special: Missile Launcher
    • Quote fires a single powerful missile straight forward.
      • At Lv. 3, the single missile will instead be three missiles—individually weaker, but collectively more powerful than the level 2 missile.
      • Without the experience mechanic, only Lv. 3 is used.
  • Up special: Booster v2.0
    • Quote flies through the air with his jetpack for a short time.
      • While the boost is in progress, the player can tilt in any cardinal direction to make Quote fly in that direction.
      • Aerial attacks can be performed during the boost, but it is cancelled by said attacks, putting Quote in freefall afterwards.
      • Using the move too much results in its duration decreasing, much like dodging.
  • Down special: Bubbline
    • Quote shoots with the Bubbline, the bubbles behaving differently based on his experience level.
      • Lv. 1: Fire a weak bubble that lingers in midair for a long time. If five bubbles are active when he fires another, the oldest will instantly pop. When Quote levels up, all active bubbles instantly pop.
      • Lv. 2: Continually fire a stream of weak bubbles that fly farther and faster but don’t linger. If B is held, Quote will keep shooting and can move at the same time (though with the same restrictions as Spur).
      • Lv. 3: Bubbles cluster in front of him before flying forward. Can be used while moving if B is held (even if down is not held); same movement penalties as Spur. When clustering in front of Quote, the bubbles can cancel weak projectiles. Once a certain amount of bubbles have been fired, the oldest shoots forward as a fast projectile. When the special button is released, all bubbles launch forward.
      • Without the experience mechanic, only Lv. 3 is used.
The Machine Gun's presence here is explained by Curly simply loaning it to Quote (or vice versa when playing as the Curly alt. model.)
  • Up tilt
    • Quote fires the Machine Gun at a slight diagonal angle upward.
  • Down aerial
    • Quote shoots the Machine Gun downward.
      • At Lv. 3, Quote’s descent is slowed during this attack.
      • Without the experience mechanic, this attack always slows Quote’s descent.
  • Down throw
    • Quote trips his opponent with a sweeping kick, then shoots the Machine Gun down at them, launching them forward.
  • Neutral special: Fireball
    • Quote shoots a large bouncing flame projectile.
      • When Kirby copies this move, he gains Quote’s hat and headphones (even if he copies Curly).
  • Final Smash
    • Spur
      • The Polar Star transforms into the Spur, Quote's ultimate weapon; he fires a devastating laser from it.
        • If a cardinal direction is held during the windup animation, Quote fires in that direction. If a direction is not held (or if down is held while Quote is grounded), Quote simply fires in whatever direction he was facing at the attack’s start.
        • The laser is a multihit.
  • Up tilt
    • Quote shoots the Fireball upwards.
      • The projectile arcs upward before descending; it bounces briefly before fading.
  • Down aerial
    • Quote shoots the Fireball downward.
      • The projectile moves forward slightly as it descends and bounces if it hits the ground.
  • Down throw
    • Quote trips his opponent with a sweeping kick, then shoots the Fireball down at them three times, launching them forward.
  • Neutral special: Spur
    • Quote charges up and fires a shot from the Spur (transforming from the Polar Star).
      • Quote can move while charging, but cannot dash or midair jump.
      • The shot’s strength and behavior depend on how much it was charged.
        • No charge: A simple energy projectile.
        • Some charge: A long, more powerful laser beam.
        • Max charge: A thick, very powerful laser beam.
      • This attack is not affected by the experience mechanic.
      • When Kirby copies this move, he gains Quote’s hat and headphones (even if he copies Curly).
  • Final Smash
    • 8-Bit Striker
      • Quote pulls out and twirls the Nemesis, then shoots a single blast forward that pierces through opponents, drawing all hit into a cinematic.
        • In the cinematic, the opponents land in a more open version of the First Cave, rendered in the original Cave Story artstyle. Quote, also in said artstyle, walks in. He shoots the opponents with a volley from the Lv. 3 Machine Gun, then several shots from the Lv. 3 Snake, then finally a single blast from the Lv. 3 Super Missile Launcher (which fires three missiles, remember) which launches the opponents off the right side of the screen. The cinematic then ends and returns to gameplay.
        • Quote briefly uses his “look to background” sprite when switching weapons in the animation (to make the switch look more fluid).

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Actually, I just realized something: if Quote got in, how much of his content would draw from Nicalis's updated content as opposed to the freeware original? Spirit artwork would probably need to draw from Nicalis artwork since freeware only really has ingame sprites, but what about the soundtrack? Would they use the original Organya tracks, the remastered versions from 3D, the "new" versions from WiiWare, or some mix of them? And if sprites did end up represented in any way, would they use the original sprites or the remastered ones from +?
A thought I had in a different thread.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
A certain Smash modder named .Pik. recently finished his old Classic Link model swap project he started since 4 was out,
I've asked if he was going to complete his Harvest Moon and Cave Story related projects as well and he said he'll consider once he's done with the former for Ultimate but will be over Mii Gunner if made.

kinda exciting

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
According to Sakurai's direct, he uses figures to make amiibos and model the 3d and stuff.

Does Cave Story have figures?

Paraster

Smash Lord
According to Sakurai's direct, he uses figures to make amiibos and model the 3d and stuff.

Does Cave Story have figures?
According to this video, Nicalis once made a tweet showing some, but they don't seem to have been officially released and they don't seem the most on-model anyway; I expect Sakurai would rather go for a design based on/similar to the credits art.

It's possible Sakurai/Nicalis would commission a special figurine for modeling purposes.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Maybe what Sakurai said was a bait and switch to have everyone thinking the next fighter has an official figure when in reality the first figure the next fighter has is an amiibo

...that or I'm really reaching for any possibility of Cave Story representation.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
After giving it some thought, I'm not putting much stock into figure theory. Sakurai could always handmake a model or get one from the respective company, or even not have one at all. Plus it'd be silly to think that he would can an entire fighter just because there isn't an official figure of them.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
If Quote DOES get in and Curly is a pallet swap, would Curly get an amiibo too or will this be another Pokemon Trainer/Robin situation?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
If Quote DOES get in and Curly is a pallet swap, would Curly get an amiibo too or will this be another Pokemon Trainer/Robin situation?
Sadly I feel this would be another situation similar to Hero and Byleth in which their alts get shafted.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
If Quote/Curly gets in, how would they look like?
As long as it doesn't look like the Cave Story 3D models, it's fine by me.

I woulnd't mind if they got for a non-chibi look for quote, it worked for Mega Man for sure (but i never liked Lanky Mega Man, i hated his proportions in 8 beacuse of it) but Quote can pull a more tall look due to his more detailed design.

His Blade Strangers look is one of my ideal looks for him, that or the Cave Story 3D Japanese Artwork.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
As long as it doesn't look like the Cave Story 3D models, it's fine by me.

I woulnd't mind if they got for a non-chibi look for quote, it worked for Mega Man for sure (but i never liked Lanky Mega Man, i hated his proportions in 8 beacuse of it) but Quote can pull a more tall look due to his more detailed design.

His Blade Strangers look is one of my ideal looks for him, that or the Cave Story 3D Japanese Artwork.
You mean this?
Cave_Story_3D_Japanese_Boxart.jpg

If it is, then this is my favorite too.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
Recently started playing Cave Story, and it's amazing. Probably my favorite indie now, everything from the story, gameplay, soundtrack etc. is amazing. I'd love to see Quote join Smash someday.

Not super likely, but I'd love for it to happen.

Top Bottom