• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soldier From The Surface: Quote For Smash Switch

Do You Like Cave Story?

• Yes

• No

• Haven't Played It

Results are only viewable after voting.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Okay how many we have left? I've stopped counting.

Still we only have to worry if a mii steals Quote/Curly's clothes. Even then at least it would be in smash

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't there a mod that added Quote as a character? Not in Smash ultimate, but I think in brawl?

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Did some looking and found this. Also remembered seeing a Smash 4 mod that gives Mega Man Quote-themed textures.
I love these mods. I wish someone would mod ultimate too. Just seeing the boy in smash makes me happy

Off topic a bit, but just to start a discussion, where do you think Quote would be on the banner if he was announced?

Paraster

Smash Lord
I love these mods. I wish someone would mod ultimate too. Just seeing the boy in smash makes me happy

Off topic a bit, but just to start a discussion, where do you think Quote would be on the banner if he was announced?
I can't think of any specific placement for him, but I think his pose could be him fiddling with the Polar Star or something.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
What are the chances Quote gets mii-ified tomorrow?
I'm kinda conflicted
Still hell yeah Sephiroth

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wish, God I wish...
Sadly I think Kero Blaster is the only thing in Pixel's mind now
Tbf it was the only thing in his mind during Cave Story's creation looking at Pixel's art
Come to think of it, I don't think he's done anything since that. Been a couple years since Kero Blaster landed on Switch.

Then again, he always does what he wants, regardless of fan wishes.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
People keep telling me Quote is too unpopular and not requested enough to be in Smash...
These are coming from cave story fans themselves

I want to keep my hope though. I mean who asked for piranha plant?

Paraster

Smash Lord
People keep telling me Quote is too unpopular and not requested enough to be in Smash...
These are coming from cave story fans themselves

I want to keep my hope though. I mean who asked for piranha plant?
I feel like Quote is comparable to the guy he shares hats with, Terry: ignored (prior to a Smash reveal), yet iconic and important.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Seeing how Touhou developer guy won against Quote in siilvagunner's King For Another Day gives me a bad feeling about Quote's votes.

And Pappyrus as well but undertale is already in smash so meh

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Wellp...that thread made me sad. I don't care for Touhou but it does have a chance more than Quote...

I just hope if they do make my boi a mii costume they'll cover up that ugly mii face like with Sans and Cuphead

Edit: I had to unwatch...too much quote bashing...well his company. I dislike the company but I still love cave story and it depresses me no one wants him because of his ****ty company

I might just buy blade strangers and pretend it's smash bros...

Does Reimu destroy Quote in smash?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Completed another play through of Cave Story. The game just keeps drawing me back and I never get bored of it.

If Quote made it in, I'd love to see the Booster v2.0 incorporated to give him some unique movement options.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Completed another play through of Cave Story. The game just keeps drawing me back and I never get bored of it.

If Quote made it in, I'd love to see the Booster v2.0 incorporated to give him some unique movement options.
The Booster is objectively the best option for an up special.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I remember beating Cave Story on the Wii.
That game kicked my butt even on easy.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Cool little fact, Pixel made a microgame for WarioWare DIY starring Ikachan, who has a cameo in Cave Story.

I'd recommend checking out Ikachan if you're interested in Cave Story and Pixel's work in general. The original game is still available for free. Nicalis did release a 3DS port in NA in Japan but the game takes about half an hour to beat. I've always wondered they couldn't just include it in one of the Cave Story ports.

I think Ikachan would make a nice spirit. Have you fight Inkling for the battle and include occasional quakes during to reference the events of the game.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I remember seeing a Quote moveset a while back that incorporated the experience mechanic by having enemies drop experience crystals when dealt damage: in their words, "Quote is playing Coin Smash." Do you think this would be a good idea? What would you prefer between this, a more conservative approach of "meter automatically fills by doing damage," or any other ideas?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've written up a Quote moveset for Fraymakers (an indie-themed Smash-like game), which would presumably work for Smash as well. In this case, I had to make some stretches, since I didn't want to go overboard with giving him projectiles and Cave Story doesn't really have melee combat, so I did the best I could. (I was worried that giving him a bunch of projectile moves would make him annoying to fight or overpowered)

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
An interesting idea I came up with: what if Quote had the Snake for a special, and it didn't just pierce through surfaces, but also reflectors and absorbing moves? Assuming its attributes were balanced well, it might be an interesting way to both incorporate its canon aspects and give a small way to counter moves that Quote would likely struggle with fighting against.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice

Paraster

Smash Lord
I don't mind Curly being in smash instead of Quote, as long as someone from cave story is in there.

But wasn't Quote in Blade Strangers though?
He wasn't in Yumihara Kawase but Curly was, and he was in runner 2 but Curly wasn't
He was IN Blade Strangers, but was a secret character. Curly was a starter character, appeared more prominently in promotional material, and got her own scene in the opening (Quote had to share with other secret characters).

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
He was IN Blade Strangers, but was a secret character. Curly was a starter character, appeared more prominently in promotional material, and got her own scene in the opening (Quote had to share with other secret characters).
Oh sorry I got confused.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Rex = Main Protagonist/Player Character = Quote
Pyra/Mythra = Deuteragonist/Important Companion = Curly Brace
Oh sorry I got confused.
Although Quote has been confined into the circumstance of being obscure, if he did become playable, we might get Quote with Curly as a skin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom