• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soldier From The Surface: Quote For Smash Switch

Do You Like Cave Story?

• Yes

• No

• Haven't Played It

Results are only viewable after voting.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Now thanks to Steve I'm scared their only putting one indie. Never cared for minecraft, but congrats for the people who wanted him.

At this point I wouldn't even mind if Cave Story got a spirit event. Sakurai pls give it something!

Someone please give me hope because my
hope is just falling...

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
If Quote gets Mii Costume'd today then I won't even be mad. I can't describe exactly why but I have a feeling it's gonna happen today.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
He didn't. We got bomberman though.
It's just weird that CS still doesn't have anything...

At this point I'd be happy for a Mii costume

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I'm still rethinking what music Quote would bring with if he got in...

Only ones I would really love to see are a Title Screen Medley (see a few posts back), a medley of Balrog's Theme and Gravity in an acapella style, the Blade Strangers version of Balcony, the Kero Blaster version of Zombie, and the remastered version of Eyes of Flame.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm still rethinking what music Quote would bring with if he got in...

Only ones I would really love to see are a Title Screen Medley (see a few posts back), a medley of Balrog's Theme and Gravity in an acapella style, the Blade Strangers version of Balcony, the Kero Blaster version of Zombie, and the remastered version of Eyes of Flame.
It will be a crime if Quote gets in without the Mimiga Village theme present in some form.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Can't believe I haven't posted here sooner seeing as how I'm a big fan of the game but sign me up. Quote and Curly would be fantastic additions to the roster and it's crazy how we don't have a single piece of Cave Story content in Smash yet.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Someone made this really nice model of Curly.

If Quote and Curly got into Smash I'd like them to look something like this.

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Hey do you all want Quote to be voiced? Curly's a given, but they might still give him his voice from those two fighting games.

I know he says "..." a lot, but so does Red the Pokemon Trainer and he still talks in Smash.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Hey do you all want Quote to be voiced? Curly's a given, but they might still give him his voice from those two fighting games.

I know he says "..." a lot, but so does Red the Pokemon Trainer and he still talks in Smash.
I don't have any real preference, but I do think the odds they will give him a voice are good if Blade Strangers (and I think Crystal Crisis too?) are any indication.

(Plus, let's be real, there are a few moments that Quote does speak in the original game even if we don't hear it; him describing Kazuma's predicament to Malco comes to mind.)

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Someone made this really nice model of Curly.

If Quote and Curly got into Smash I'd like them to look something like this.
I hope so too. I don't like their appereance in Cave Story 3D, and Quote is the ONE character who i don't want to look like his in-game sprites.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
I'll be honest

I worry about Quote because Cave Story hardly has a fandom anymore.
I feel like games like undertale took that away.

Now it's not Toby's fault, his Twitter posts shows he loves Cave Story a lot, but like most fans don't wanna play it because it's "old"

I got into the fandom way late so I guess I just want this game to have more fans? Smash made people like fire emblem back in the day

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'll be honest

I worry about Quote because Cave Story hardly has a fandom anymore.
I feel like games like undertale took that away.

Now it's not Toby's fault, his Twitter posts shows he loves Cave Story a lot, but like most fans don't wanna play it because it's "old"

I got into the fandom way late so I guess I just want this game to have more fans? Smash made people like fire emblem back in the day
I think the Cave Story fanbase is still present even if it isn't as noticeable as it once was. In June of this year, SourceGaming did a big Smash poll where Quote came in 47th place. That helps to show that Quote's demand is still there even if it isn't as big as other indie characters.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
I think the Cave Story fanbase is still present even if it isn't as noticeable as it once was. In June of this year, SourceGaming did a big Smash poll where Quote came in 47th place. That helps to show that Quote's demand is still there even if it isn't as big as other indie characters.
That helps a lot Thank you. :,)

And I didn't see Terry having that much votes either before he was revealed so maybe Quote has a chance

Edit: I just realized Terry has the same hat as Quote.
Maybe he could adopt him and Pokemon Trainer as his red hat sons. and Ness too but he still has a dad

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice

I heard it's not the freeware on cavestory.com and it's a decomposition of the game but still why now? I dunno if it might have something to do with Smash, but it might. This stuffs been up for years, why now do they take it down?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I doubt it would mean anything, seeing as Cave Story still has yet to get a full sequel, which is the main thing that makes a third-party viable for Smash (since it would have proven that it's an IP that can last, rather than be a vehicle for guest cameos).

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Crystal Crisis was kinda supposed to be a sequel. It's not that good and is pretty much Tetris, but it's mostly based on cave story

Only person that can make CS2 is Pixel, but he doesn't seem interested in the project anymore.
though I really wish there was an official cave story sequel

Edit: ignore my last post, I do see what you mean. Since that puzzle game doesn't play like cave story it's not a true sequel.

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Found out what it probably was. Something called "Epic" is giving Cave Story for free.

I mean it was always free and meant to be free but...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Found out what it probably was. Something called "Epic" is giving Cave Story for free.

I mean it was always free and meant to be free but...
It's the Epic Games Store, a digital download platform like Steam. They do that every so often - I got the remastered version of the Ghostbusters game for free around Halloween. (there was some controversy surrounding them getting timed PC exclusives like Borderlands 3 - not sure if that's died down or not)

At the very least, it will help to get the game more publicity.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
PSA: Please ignore all my post and topics that were created before the COVID-19 pandemic. My opinions and thoughts have had major changes since the pandemic initiated. My behavior has now improved and I will not cause anymore trouble from now on.

All my posts from before the pandemic are now all outdated.

I'm curious, why hasn't Cave Story gotten any sequels yet?

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Pixel is pretty much done with it sadly. His latest 8 bit platforms is Kero Blaster, a game about some cat and frog character he made in college (and he's also drawn them with beta Quote too)

It might be because licencing issues really. That or he doesn't have any new ideas for the characters

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
PSA: Please ignore all my post and topics that were created before the COVID-19 pandemic. My opinions and thoughts have had major changes since the pandemic initiated. My behavior has now improved and I will not cause anymore trouble from now on.

All my posts from before the pandemic are now all outdated.

Personally I'm glad that Cave Story does not have a sequel since it's already a pretty complete game. A direct sequel would feel unnecessary.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Personally I'm glad that Cave Story does not have a sequel since it's already a pretty complete game. A direct sequel would feel unnecessary.
Well, I believe that the canon ending in Cave Story is when Quote and Curly defeat Ballos.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
The puzzle game Crystal Crisis TRIED to be a sequel despite it being a Pyo Pyo Tetris thing,
See they brought back the red crystal but now there's Astro Boy and Isaac so it makes no sense in context. Not to mention Ballos is scared of the doctor/the core? When the core, still possessed by the doctor mind you, appears Ballos says something like "YOU FOOL! DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?!" or something like that

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Not sure if anyone here has an Epic account but Cave Story+ is free there for a limited time!

"Arguably the most well-known indie game of all time"

I highly doubt that Cave story is well known. It has been relatively obscure for over a decade already.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
"Arguably the most well-known indie game of all time"

I highly doubt that Cave story is well known. It has been relatively obscure for over a decade already.
Cave Story may not be well-known in the "popular at this very moment" sense, but I'd argue it's well-known at least as a historical artifact. Anyone looking into the history of indie games WILL discover it.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Cave Story may not be well-known in the "popular at this very moment" sense, but I'd argue it's well-known at least as a historical artifact. Anyone looking into the history of indie games WILL discover it.
I don't remember Cave Story being well known at any time.

Furthermore, given that Shovel Knight has been excluded, I've already predicted that an indie rep is one of the remaining 4 challenger packs. However, it has been discovered that there is an extra voice slot. There's a possibility that we might get Quote with Curly as a skin.

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
The only thing giving me hope is the fact no one knew what King of Fighters was when Terry was confirmed.

Can't wait for kids to call Quote "robot pokemon trainer"

Jokes aside, Smash is the only hope to get this back popular again. Blade Strangers and tetris won't do it and it's a darn shame no new people will play it or give it a chance because it's "old"

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
King of Fighters is nowhere as obscure as Bayonetta or Cave Story.
Never heard of King of Fighters before smash. As for Bayo, I only learned about that game through a friend of mine.

I first found out about cave story from that awful CS3D ad. Good thing I played the original

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Wellp, tonight is the night.
I'm hearing Sora but I don't like Disney, Crash, who I wouldn't mind, or Doomguy who I don't care for either.

Please be Quote. Please Sakurai PLEASE

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
People are mainly speculation Doom due to tonight being coincidentally the anniversary, yet Doom was deconfirmed by that damning interview back in January.

Top Bottom