• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soldier From The Surface: Quote For Smash Switch

Do You Like Cave Story?

• Yes

• No

• Haven't Played It

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I just got finished my moveset ideas for Quote. I managed to incorporate every weapon in the game so I hope you like it:

1581001201526.png

--------------------

Gimmick

1581001479001.png

In Cave Story, weapons can become stronger by increasing your power meter. This is done by collecting orange energy crystals from defeated enemies. Taking damage however will decrease the meter.

For Smash, Quote's main gimmick would be his weapon power meter. There would be a single power meter that would increase either upon dealing damage to enemies or by taking damage (which ever would work best for balancing purposes). When the power meter is level 3, Quote's attacks would have improved properties such as additional damages and other unique features.

With that said, here is the moveset I came up with:

Normals

Jab: Polar Star
To mimic Cave Story’s 2D shooter playstyle, Quote’s jab would have him shooting from the Polar Star weapon similar to Mega Man’s jab.

Dash attack: King’s Blade
Quote runs and deals a slash attack with King’s sword.

Forward Tilt: Nemesis
Quote shoots with the Nemesis weapon. This is the only weapon in Cave Story that actually gets worse as it levels up, with the level 1 variant being a decently strong lightning beam while the level 3 variant just shoots out a bunch of weak ducks. I thought it’d be nice to keep this aspect as it’d stay true to the original game.

Up Tilt: Nemesis
Quote points upwards and shoots with the Nemesis weapon. Like his forward-tilt which also uses Nemesis, Quote’s up-tilt would become weaker and have less range as your power meter grows. Quote already gets a ton of crazy buffs when his power meter is high, so I thought it’d be balanced to weaken one of his defensive moves so he isn’t completely unstoppable.

Down Tilt: Fireball
Quote quickly shoots a Fireball towards the ground which moves a short distance before disappearing. The Fireball can be useful for edge guarding. Partly inspired by his Fireball move that he has in Blade Strangers.

Grab: Tow Rope
Quote uses the tow rope that is used to carry Curly around as a long reaching grab. Can also be used to latch onto ledges.

Aerials

Neutral Air: Polar Star
Same as jab in a manner similar to Mega Man's neutral air. Again I feel like the Polar Star should be represented twice since it's the main weapon you use for at least the first half of the game.

Forward-Air: Snake
Quote shoots the Snake weapon which promptly falls to the ground before disappearing in a manner similar to Game & Watch’s forward air. The level 3 variant can go through passable platforms, as the original weapon in Cave Story could shoot through walls.

Back-Air: King’s Blade
A backwards slash from King’s Blade.

Up air: King’s Blade
Quote swings upwards with King’s Blade. I know I’m using King’s Blade for a lot of his attacks, but its to help give him some melee moves in the midst of his heavy projectile moveset.

Down-Air: Machine Gun
Quote points downwards and shoots a barrage of shots from his machine gun that travels a short distance. It actually travels very far in Cave Story but I think the range should be lowered for balancing purposes. If the power meter is level 3, Quote will move upwards while using this attack making it a useful recovery move (though he’ll have to touch the ground to be able to float with it again)

Smash Attacks

Forward-Smash: King's Blade
Quote prepares to swing King’s Blade forward and then does so with a lot of strength. If the power meter is level 3, King’s Ghost will appear like in the actual game and deal a lot of quick rapid damage to the enemy. Although the level 3 variant is much stronger, it also has a ton of endlag.

Up-Smash: Machine Gun
Quote charges his machine gun and fires it straight above him. Sort of like Inkling’s up-smash except the damage comes from the actual bullets meaning you don’t get launched up at the very start.

Down Smash: Fireball
Quote shoots the Fireball weapon in the front and then in the back. Similar to Isabelle’s down smash.

Special Moves

Neutral B: Spur

1580997811770.png

Think of this move as a hybrid between Samus’ neutral B and the super scope item. Tap B to shoot a single small projectile that is slightly bigger/stronger than Quote’s Polar Star jab but takes longer to shoot. You can also hold down B to charge down a more powerful shot, with the strongest shot taking about 5 seconds to charge and being similar to Robin's thoron. When the charge is at max power, you can hold onto the shot for as long as you’d like and even jump/move, but you will be able to use any other attacks or dodge. You can shield to cancel the shot, however unlike Samus’ charge shot you will have to recharge it again from scratch.

This is the only weapon in Cave Story that does not require a certain weapon level to use since you manually charge it from level 1 to the max level. As a result, it is completely immune to the weapon power system that the other weapons would have.

Side B: Missile Launcher

1580997780879.png

Quote pulls out his missile launcher and shoots it either to the left or right. Essentially a faster version of Snake’s side B except the missile only goes straight. When your power meter is high, the missiles would turn into super missiles which are orange and are much stronger.

Like in Cave Story, the missile launcher would have ammo. You can regain ammo either by waiting for a while or by dealing damage with other attacks.

Up-B: Booster v.2.0

1580997960828.png

Quote flies in one of the four cardinal directions using his jetpack. It’s essentially Pikachu’s up-B except it's not as fast, Quote’s body doesn’t hurt anyone during the move, and Quote is able to use a few of his aerials during the attack.

Down-B: Bubbler

1580997998779.png

Quote shoots bubbles in front of him that will deal small damage and knockback to enemies. When your power meter is level 3, you can hold Down-B to have the bubbles surround Quote and then release the button to have them launch in a direction of your choosing.

Final Smash: Soldier’s Barrage

1581001151643.png

Quote hits the opponent(s) and then a cinematic happens where every weapon in the game is launched at the enemies. Quote ends the attack with a slash with King’s Blade, where King’s spirit can be seen charging at the opponent along with Quote.

If Curly is unable to appear as an echo fighter, then she would appear in this attack shooting at the enemies.

Feel free to add it to the OP Aurane Aurane (also add me to the support list since I'm apparently not on it).

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Haven't been here in awhile haha.

Sari Sari I'll add you now. If anyone wishes to be added, make sure that you tag me in the same post that has your request to be added to the supporter list. As a friendly reminder, you can do this by pressing the @ key, then typing down the name of the user you are trying to tag. Tagging users allows you to send them a separate alert that makes acknowledging the post you tagged them in faster.

Thank you, and have a great day, folks.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Aurane Aurane please add me to the list too! Thank you :)

I was thinking...would Quote be better with a gimmick like Pokemon Trainer's? Down taunt could switch weapons and such, but then he'd be too powerful probably.

Though it could be a quick strategy in case you keep getting hit and need a stronger weapon. I do love the level up/level down gimmick though

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
According to the latest interview, this is the last dlc pack...
I'm... kinda scared they won't do anything with Cave Story (except maybe those spirit board events, but no one is even acknowledging cave story's existence at Nintendo)

I'm hoping Toby Fox mentioned it to Sakurai. I mean it's been on mostly only Nintendo consoles so Quote is as much as a Nintendo character as Mario or Pikachu

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm hoping Toby Fox mentioned it to Sakurai. I mean it's been on mostly only Nintendo consoles so Quote is as much as a Nintendo character as Mario or Pikachu
...No, he's not. If you're going to compare Quote to someone, it would make more sense to go with a third party that's largely associated with Nintendo consoles (Mega Man? Bayonetta? Simon Belmont?) than Nintendo's mascots.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
True. Sorry. But while he is a third party, I've actually never seen CS on anything besides Nintendo consoles. Well except the PC since it was originally a computer game.

I may have heard someone put it on the PS2 once but that probably wasn't offical.

Emelie

Smash Cadet
I would love if he was playable but Curly as a costume or an echo fighter is a must! Smash needs more female characters, I was so disappointed when they didn't include any female protagonists from Dragon Quest even though they exist.

I kind of want to see Toroko as a boss but... uhhhhh maybe that is a little too brutal for Smash?? Maybe King's spirit could appear when Curly/Quote attacks with the blade. I don't know if that counts as a spoiler but I would prefer that over them just randomly standing in the background like the SNK and Fire Emblem characters do on their stages.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Let Balrog be a assist trophy or a stage obstacle.

He'll just come in, fly in, say "Huzzah", and crash into enemies

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Well some article about who the Japanese voted for in Smash came up.

It seems that girl from Tohou got a lot of votes....so an indie character seems more and more likely. Just hopefully not another mii...

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I thought up a new Quote moveset. It reuses some moves from my old one (particularly the specials and experience mechanic), but most of the attacks are brand-new.

The new moves were designed around two primary concepts. One: balancing the amount of projectiles so Quote’s entire moveset isn’t packed with them but he could still be considered projectile-centric. Two: balancing the representation of weapons properly (the Polar Star was prioritized due to it being Quote’s first gun and typically considered his signature weapon, while Blade and Fireball were runners-up since they are the only other weapons mandatory to collect in the original game).
  • Experience mechanic
    • When Quote hits attacks, he gains experience that fills his meter. When the meter fills, he levels up, and several of his attacks are powered up.
    • When Quote gets hit, he loses experience and can potentially level down.
    • Quote starts at level 1 with an empty bar and can go up to level 3 with a filled bar. When the meter is filled at level 3, the extra experience only acts as a buffer to prevent himself from getting leveled-down.
    • Getting a KO grants a further boost in experience. Likewise, being KOed causes a larger penalty to experience.
    • All attacks subject to level-ups increase in damage at higher levels, but some gain additional effects, as listed in their summaries.
    • When Quote levels up or down, there is a sound and visual effect matching when either happens in Cave Story.
  • Neutral attack
    • A two-hit combo.
      • Hit 1: Quote kicks forward.
      • Hit 2: Quote swings the Polar Star sideways to hit with the gun’s barrel.
  • Side tilt
    • Quote shoots forward with the Polar Star.
      • The shot can be reflected.
      • The shot can be absorbed.
    • This attack is subject to the experience mechanic.
      • Higher levels slightly increase the shot’s range.
  • Up tilt
    • Quote shoots upward with the Polar Star.
      • The shot can be reflected.
      • The shot can be absorbed.
      • Higher levels slightly increase the shot’s range.
  • Down tilt
    • Quote does a gut punch.
  • Dash attack
    • Quote stops in place and shoots with the Fireball, the flame bouncing forward a short distance.
      • The flame’s range is about 1/3 the range of Mario’s Fireball.
      • The flame can be reflected.
      • The flame can be absorbed.
  • Forward smash
    • Quote brings out the Missile Launcher and shoots forward.
      • The missile explodes on its own in a short distance if it does not hit anything.
      • The missile can be reflected.
      • The missile’s explosion can be absorbed.
      • At level 3, the single missile will instead be three missiles—individually weaker, but collectively more powerful than the level 2 missile.
  • Up smash
    • Quote throws the Blade upward a short distance.
      • Higher levels increase the Blade’s horizontal range.
      • At level 3, the Blade drags along targets and hits them multiple times until the attack ends.
  • Down smash
    • Quote, crouching slightly, fires a volley from the Machine Gun forward, then turns to fire behind himself as well.
      • The bullets can be reflected.
  • Neutral aerial
    • Quote throws out the Whimsical Star, which flies around him to hit both sides.
  • Forward aerial
    • Quote shoots with the Fireball, the resulting projectile falling downward as it flies ahead.
      • The flame can be reflected.
      • The flame can be absorbed.
  • Back aerial
    • Quote swings the Blade behind himself.
      • Quote holds the Blade in a reverse grip.
  • Up aerial
    • Quote kicks upward, swinging his leg in front of and reaching above himself.
  • Down aerial
    • Quote fires a volley from the Machine Gun below himself.
      • The bullets can be reflected.
      • At level 3, Quote is pushed upwards slightly during this attack.
  • Grab
    • Quote swings the Tow Rope forward.
      • This is a tether grab.
  • Pummel
    • Quote hammers into his opponent with the barrel of the Polar Star.
  • Forward throw
    • Quote kicks his opponent forward.
  • Back throw
    • Quote swings his opponent behind himself, then shoots them point-blank with the Polar Star.
  • Up throw
    • Quote uses the Blade to slash upwards at his opponent.
      • Quote holds the Blade in a reverse grip.
  • Down throw
    • Quote pushes his opponent to the ground while hopping upward, then shoots the Fireball down at them.
  • Neutral special: Bubbline
    • Quote shoots with the Bubbline, the bubbles cluster around him before flying forward.
      • When clustering around Quote, the bubbles can cancel weak projectiles.
      • Once a certain amount of bubbles have been fired, the oldest shoots forward as a fast projectile. When the special button is released, all bubbles launch forward.
      • The bubbles can be reflected.
  • Side special: Snake
    • Quote shoots with the Snake, the resulting stream of fire being capable of passing through solid objects.
      • Opponents hit by the stream are dragged along, but will fall out if the stream phases through something solid.
      • The stream can be reflected.
      • The stream can be absorbed.
      • Higher levels increase the range of the stream.
  • Up special: Booster v2.0
    • Quote flies through the air with his jetpack for a short time.
      • While the boost is in progress, the player can tilt in any cardinal direction to make Quote fly in that direction.
      • Aerial attacks can be performed during the boost, but it is cancelled by said attacks, putting Quote in freefall afterwards.
  • Down special: Nemesis
    • Quote fires a blast of lightning from the Nemesis.
      • The blast can be reflected.
      • The blast can be absorbed (except at level 3).
      • Unlike every other attack, this grows weaker at higher levels, with the range decreasing as well. The level 3 version causes no knockback, merely flinching.
  • Final Smash: Spur
    • Quote whips out the Spur, his ultimate weapon, and fires a devastating laser.
      • If a cardinal direction is held during the windup animation, Quote fires in that direction. If a direction is not held (or if down is held while Quote is grounded), Quote simply fires in whatever direction he was facing at the attack’s start.
      • The laser is a multihit.

Aurane Aurane Could I request a link to my old Quote doc (which has been updated with this moveset) to be added to the OP and my name to be added to the supporter list?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So Quote survives another Mii Costume massacre.

I'm prepared for him to potentially be a Mii Costume in the future, but here's hoping he uses this chance to become playable soon.

Paraster

Smash Lord
If Quote gets in, what do you think we'd see on his Spirit Board? Which characters will be featured, and how will they be represented?

(My ideas are in my Quote doc.)

DipperBird5

Smash Rookie
Great spirit board! i recently started playing Cave Story for the first time on the Switch, i definitely want Quote in! he deserves it!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
That spirit board looks incredible, looks like it's straight out of the game! Also a cute touch adding in Ikachan and Kero Blaster! x3

Quick question, when designing spirit boards, what determines if the spirit box is black, olive green, or brown?

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
That spirit board looks incredible, looks like it's straight out of the game! Also a cute touch adding in Ikachan and Kero Blaster! x3

Quick question, when designing spirit boards, what determines if the spirit box is black, olive green, or brown?
The "black" box is just like that because it's currently the selected one (note the yellow border).
Brown boxes are for primary spirits and olive green are for supports.

Paraster

Smash Lord
What do you think the best pick for a stage would be? My doc currently lists Mimiga Village, but I've been considering changing to Egg Corridor. I could also see Outer Wall working.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
I want to believe, but I'm starting to lose hope. Everyone on Twitter is just like "what's a cave story?" And I'm just...depressed.

You know I really wish it had more love. Undertale gets love (and the creator of it has praised the game before), Shantae gets love, even a couple of people want Isaac in from TBOI
But I hardly see quote so I'm losing hope...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I want to believe, but I'm starting to lose hope. Everyone on Twitter is just like "what's a cave story?" And I'm just...depressed.

You know I really wish it had more love. Undertale gets love (and the creator of it has praised the game before), Shantae gets love, even a couple of people want Isaac in from TBOI
But I hardly see quote so I'm losing hope...
I'm guessing that Daisuke Amaya continues to try moving away from Cave Story to focus on other things. If the game had to get a spirit event, I guess that he would need to contact Sakurai, as Nicalis doesn't appear to have much influence in Japan.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing that Daisuke Amaya continues to try moving away from Cave Story to focus on other things. If the game had to get a spirit event, I guess that he would need to contact Sakurai, as Nicalis doesn't appear to have much influence in Japan.
Make sense...honestly this was the first idie I ever played. I just...gave up about representation. It makes me sad that it seems like the world forgot about it.

Back in the day it was pretty popular. Even been ripped off by a Disney channel show.

All we got is crystal crisis and tbh it gets repetitive and boring. Haven't tried blade strangers though

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Make sense...honestly this was the first idie I ever played. I just...gave up about representation. It makes me sad that it seems like the world forgot about it.

Back in the day it was pretty popular. Even been ripped off by a Disney channel show.

All we got is crystal crisis and tbh it gets repetitive and boring. Haven't tried blade strangers though
Blade Strangers is alright. I haven't played a lot of it, but it plays like a mix of Smash Bros. (simple & uniform inputs) and Street Fighter (large sprites, tiny uniform arenas, limited movement). I could see it being used as a go-between if a Smash player wanted to transition into traditional fighters.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
You know what?
We need to keep our hopes up. I saw hardly any support for Terry but everyone was happy he got in. And heck, if Sakurai can make the Wii fit lady and a plant playable, who's to say Quote won't be?

What we gotta do is come together through this trying time.

So on a lighter note, if Quote did get in, who do you want him to be fighting alongside?
I want him to fight alongside Mega Man, but also Pokémon Trainer (the male) since they're a lot alike

Also if he got a Palutena's guidance, what do you think it would say?

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
You know what?
We need to keep our hopes up. I saw hardly any support for Terry but everyone was happy he got in. And heck, if Sakurai can make the Wii fit lady and a plant playable, who's to say Quote won't be?

What we gotta do is come together through this trying time.

So on a lighter note, if Quote did get in, who do you want him to be fighting alongside?
I want him to fight alongside Mega Man, but also Pokémon Trainer (the male) since they're a lot alike

Also if he got a Palutena's guidance, what do you think it would say?
I'd say Samus, given how Metroid influenced Cave Story. Zero Suit could also homage Curly (assuming she wasn't already an alternate model for Quote).

As for Palutena's Guidance, I actually wrote one a while back (actually posted it here, but the image seems to be dead):

Pit: WHOA! Why does that kid have so many guns?!
Palutena: Oh, that's no ordinary kid! He's called Mr. Traveler, and he's remarkably proficient in all of his weaponry! He can even use a blade as a ranged weapon!
Pit: Wait, that sounds like one of my Blades! Did this guy break into the Arms Altar?!
Palutena: No, his blade is much closer to human swords than those miracles of divine technology you get. And it doesn't fire lasers or anything like that; he throws the blade itself and it magically returns to his grasp!
Viridi: Yeah, that's cool and all, but why are you calling him "Mr. Traveler"? Why not just use his real name?
Palutena: Well, uh, I just didn't want to spoil anything...
Viridi: Spoil?! Everyone knows this guy's deal by this point! It's not even much of a spoiler anyway! He's an armed recon robot named Quote who got stuck on an island in the sky after--
Pit & Palutena: VIRIDI!

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
I like that idea! I can also see them in a Subspace Emissary like story too

And the guidance is amazing btw. I probably read it before but I must have forgotten ^^;
I did read your moveset document and really liked it.
Especially the level up mechanic

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
You know I've supported Quote for a long time, but there's something I never really thought to ask:

How would Quote's 3D model look? I know Nicalis made some official Quote models in the past like in Cave Story 3D and whatever the heck this is supposed to be, but they all look sort of uncanny. What are the best fan-made 3D renders of Quote that would fit well in Smash?

Paraster

Smash Lord
You know I've supported Quote for a long time, but there's something I never really thought to ask:

How would Quote's 3D model look? I know Nicalis made some official Quote models in the past like in Cave Story 3D and whatever the heck this is supposed to be, but they all look sort of uncanny. What are the best fan-made 3D renders of Quote that would fit well in Smash?
Well, there's this, which Nicalis actually used in a Tweet to promote Quote for the Smash 4 Fighter Ballot.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Crystal Crisis Quote looks like a baby. I love him but don't want him looking like that in Smash.

I'd say something like mega man. Still cartoony but looks like he belongs there

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

I feel like they would probably pull inspiration from the end credit illustrations.

That or the sprites, like Mega Man, as Red mentioned. I don't think Cave Story 3D's models look too bad, but I also think their style would probably be a bit uncanny next to Smash's other fighters.

at the very least the marth and inkling mus would be silly because quote's getting headshot easily lol
though at the same time, i guess that's how you balance a short zoner with burst movement options. by making his head easier to hit lol

Paraster

Smash Lord
Every DLC Spirit Board has exactly one Legend spirit, and it always has a skill no other spirit has. What do you think Cave Story's Legend spirit would be?

I think it'd be either a Curly one that nullifies the effects of reflecting/absorbing moves on the user's attacks ("Piercing Shot") or a King spirit that increases attack and speed but decreases defense ("Glass Cannon").

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Every DLC Spirit Board has exactly one Legend spirit, and it always has a skill no other spirit has. What do you think Cave Story's Legend spirit would be?

I think it'd be either a Curly one that nullifies the effects of reflecting/absorbing moves on the user's attacks ("Piercing Shot") or a King spirit that increases attack and speed but decreases defense ("Glass Cannon").
I'd probably say King or Ballos would be the best contender for the spot, especially since Curly would more than likely be an echo or alt of Quote, so she'd get her own fighter spirit.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Concept for a remix: A "Title Screen Medley" that starts with the main theme, then leads into the songs that play over the title screen after completing good enough speedruns of the Blood Stained Sanctuary (Running Hell, Toroko's Theme, White, and Safety).

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It probably won't happen but I'm just gonna channel some luck towards Quote for the reveal in 45 minutes.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
It probably won't happen but I'm just gonna channel some luck towards Quote for the reveal in 45 minutes.
It's honestly anyone's game at this point, especially with no leaks! Gonna channel some luck as well!

Last edited:
Top Bottom