• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soldier From The Surface: Quote For Smash Switch

Do You Like Cave Story?

• Yes

• No

• Haven't Played It

Results are only viewable after voting.

KillerCage

Smash Master
If we were to get an indie rep, I want the character to be Quote. While not the first indie game ever made, Cave Story was among the first to make it big. Without Cave Story, we wouldn't have gotten Undertale, Shovel Knight, Minecraft, Skullgirls, and Hollow Knight.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
If we were to get an indie rep, I want the character to be Quote. While not the first indie game ever made, Cave Story was among the first to make it big. Without Cave Story, we wouldn't have gotten Undertale, Shovel Knight, Minecraft, Skullgirls, and Hollow Knight.
While I respect your opinion, if we get Frisk, Quote, or Shovel Knight as playable characters in the future, it would be a worse heartbreaker for me than Joker.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
While I respect your opinion, if we get Frisk, Quote, or Shovel Knight as playable characters in the future, it would be a worse heartbreaker for me than Joker.
Since I already got my most character in Smash Ultimate (Ridley), any character afterwards is just bonus content to me. There were some character that I had issues before their release (COUGH) INCINEROAR (COUGH) HERO (COUGH), but they are still additional content to me. My primary concern with new character is do they bring something new to the gameplay. Quote is one of several characters that fulfills that criteria for me with the weapon leveling system.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Sans is a Mii Costume, Shantae's a spirit, and Shovel Knight's an assist. Frisk isn't deconfirmed, but if they were going to added then why would the Sans costume release now instead of with a hypothetical Frisk release? Looks like Quote is the only major status indie left unless I'm forgetting anyone.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Sans is a Mii Costume, Shantae's a spirit, and Shovel Knight's an assist. Frisk isn't deconfirmed, but if they were going to added then why would the Sans costume release now instead of with a hypothetical Frisk release? Looks like Quote is the only major status indie left unless I'm forgetting anyone.
There's some other indie games like Hollow Knight, Super Meat Boy, and Minecraft (if you consider how it originally started) to name a few.

But yeah things are looking good for Quote in the meantime.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
There's some other indie games like Hollow Knight, Super Meat Boy, and Minecraft (if you consider how it originally started) to name a few.

But yeah things are looking good for Quote in the meantime.
Noticed your Quote pic for awhile now, was wondering where you were with Quote support xD

Hollow Knight's a rising indie but not quite the level of the Big Four.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Noticed your Quote pic for awhile now, was wondering where you were with Quote support xD

Hollow Knight's a rising indie but not quite the level of the Big Four.
Seeing an indie make it into Smash as a playable character is something that would never happen (hence why I never really posted in here or the Shantae threads), but considering everything that has happened recently I think we have a decent chance of getting one soon.

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
I want Quote so badly..I can only hope, although I fear a Mii costume runing the chance. But with more than one fighter pass, things aren't looking terribly grim.

Last edited:

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Sign me up for Quote, fellas. Quote is who I voted for back on the Ballot way back when. Cave Story has had a lot of impact on my video game tastes and I think it's significant enough in the gaming industry to warrant an inclusion in Smash. Quote would bring a whole new meaning of "gunner" to Smash, with his wide arsenal of projectile attacks. I gotta wonder though if he'd have some sort of EXP or weapon switching gimmick.

And do let there be a Curly Brace echo as well!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Man Quote seems slightly likely now. He's up there with some of my more out there third party choices like Reimu, Chell from Portal, Monokuma or Cuphead.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I've been interested in this idea since the ballot. I would definitely like to see Quote get in

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Man Quote seems slightly likely now. He's up there with some of my more out there third party choices like Reimu, Chell from Portal, Monokuma or Cuphead.
I want Reimu, but I don't want Quote Monokuma or Cuphead.

I think Chell should just be a spirit or an assist trophy, not a playable character.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
To use a quote I said on Tumblr:
I’ve been saying since the World of Light trailer that Smash Bros. is building up indie rep, and this just gets us one step further.

Robot fingers

Smash Rookie
Okay everyone, after this recent Direct and the reveal of Sans, I've been pondering with a newfound interest for Quote in Smash. Now that he has somewhat of a chance, this has given me a couple of hours of thinking and mindlessly typing out my thoughts on Notepad to bring you this.

Quote/Curly Brace moveset, a notepad autism original. Excuse me if I have no idea how forum colors or post limits work. I can't believe I created an account to present this.
If Sans can get in, so can Quote. This is only if he doesn't end up as a Mii costume/Spirit/Assist Trophy/Mega Man clone.
Cave Story doesn't appear popular enough, but it seems to be known for being one of the first indie games to make it big.
Quote and Curly are echoes. I want to cover the specials and their passive ability first. Assume that everything that Quote has also applies to Curly unless stated otherwise. Also, reading the Neutral Special might be confusing until you read the Down Special.

- Level Up/Energy Crystals. This is a fighter ability.
In Cave Story, Quote can defeat enemies which drop Energy Crystals. These are like experience points, which can level up his weapon up to a max of 3.
In Smash, Quote can damage enemies with his weapon for them to drop Energy Crystals, which have the same function as above similar to Hero's MP.
Just like the games, if Quote is damaged he can lose Energy Crystals and downgrade his equipped weapon, but he gains them faster than he loses them.
For an exception to Smash, he can gradually gain Energy Crystals on his own for all weapons, but only if he hasn't collected an Energy Crystal in 30 seconds or more.
Also, the higher the opponent's percentage, the more Energy Crystals they drop.

- Neutral Special: Fire Weapon
Fires a shot from the currently equipped weapon. Travels horizontally in the direction you're facing. The type of weapon you fire is based on the Down Special.
Polar Star and Machine Gun are signature weapons, the default they start with. Being their signature weapons they should be the fastest out of their arsenal.
Unlike the other weapons, they cannot make the opponent flinch in the same way that Fox's lasers cannot unless they're Level 3.

Polar Star: recharge 1 ammo per 2s, 25 ammo max
Polar Star is weaker than the Machine Gun and functions exactly like the original game, but a Level 3 Polar Star has a charge shot effect that can fire possibly one of the most powerful projectiles in the game.
At Level 3, Quote can charge a shot by holding B. Even if it's fully charged, he won't fire unless you let go. Unlike the games, this charging period halves his movement speed even on the Booster, but he can still jump.
A half shot is obv half the charge and costs 5 ammo, while a full shot costs 10 ammo. Both pierce through enemies, but grow weaker for every enemy they pierce.
A half shot could be a multi-hit, while a full shot is a KO move that rivals Samus' full Charge Shot.
If you let go early or are interrupted by an attack he will fire a regular shot if his charge < 50%, or a half shot if 50% <= his charge < 100%.

Machine Gun: recharge 1 ammo per 1.5s, 25 ammo max
The Machine Gun is faster and has slightly more power than the Polar Star.
A Level 3 Machine Gun has a recoil effect which can be extremely useful and possibly very annoying for your opponent. You can hold the B button to make Curly fire rapidly in exchange for weaker shots.
Curly takes slight knockback in the opposite direction you're firing for a max of 3 seconds of holding, allowing her to retreat and attack at the same time as long as she has ammo.
This also works in the air but only if you're already holding B so she won't perform Down Special or Up Special. If you fire downward for example she can hover and vice versa.

Missile Launcher: recharge 1 ammo per 2s, 10 ammo max
Fires powerful missiles that travel slow at first, but accelerate as they continue to fly.
Movement speed is halved, and Quote cannot fire missiles while flying on the Booster. Doing so will cause him to deactivate the Booster and lose all jumps.
Quote fires X amount of missiles where X is the current level of the weapon.

Fireball: recharge 1 ammo per 2s, 10 ammo max
Shoots a fireball that acts the same way as Pikachu's Thunder Jolt, but way slower, and it releases a small flame pillar that persists for X seconds where X is the current level of the weapon.

Bubbline: recharge 1 ammo per 1.5s, 15 ammo max
Shoots a flurry of bubbles that are initially packed in a small cloud similar to Piranha Plant's Side B. The ammo for this one can drain FAST.
The bubbles slowly flow in the direction that you flick with the Control Stick and unlike the other weapons they can even go diagonally and through walls.
They will only pop if they come into contact with an enemy. Possible gimping tool.

- Side Special: Blade Spirit
I really didn't know what to do for this one, and this means that Curly also obtains King's Blade so I'm kinda straying out of canon but whatever.
Unlike the other weapons, this one is already Level 3 in that swinging the sword summons King's Spirit, which deals sword damage in its path before disappearing. The initial sword swing also has a hitbox, similar to D3's Gordo Toss.

- Down Special: Weapon Switch
Quote has a level and Energy Gauge meter next to his portrait in battle.
He can switch between a set of weapons which affect his Neutral Special. This should be a quick move and can be done in the air, but not instantaneous and should play a sound effect so your opponent can react.
The weapons he can switch from are: Polar Star (Quote)/Machine Gun (Curly), Missile Launcher, and Fireball (Quote)/Bubbline (Curly).
Each weapon has their personal level and amount of Energy Crystals stored, like the original game.

- Up Special: Booster v2.0
Quote enables the Booster which temporarily enhances his movement. For roughly one second, he can hold jump to rise up, while holding jump and a horizontal direction allows him to hover similar to Peach/Daisy's Float.
He can still act wearing the booster, but when it reaches the one second limit he can no longer jump until he reaches the ground.

All smashes cost 2 ammo per shot, so Forward Smash would cost 4 ammo for example.
- Up Smash
Fires a single shot of the currently equipped weapon into the air with the single shot's damage being doubled than if it were used in a Neutral Special..
If Missile Launcher is equipped, this shoots a powerful missile into the air that works in the same way as Snake's Up Smash, but it travels faster and if it doesn't hit a target it goes sky high, and it might take a while before gravity forces it to get down. Try to remember where you fire it, maybe you could do throw setups into a landing Up Smash missile. Just be careful, because it can still hurt you.

- Forward Smash
Fires two shots of the currently equipped weapon into the ground a la Samus's Down Smash. Same damage multiplier as Up Smash.
If Missile Launcher is equipped, Quote will fire only one missile before it explodes and deals self-damage.

- Down Smash
Basically like Forward Smash, but one shot each for forward and back. Same damage multiplier as Up Smash.
If Missile Launcher is equipped, Quote will fire only one missile before it explodes and deals self-damage.

His aerials can be like a typical swordie's. He can use King's Blade for those but I would prefer them to involve ONLY King's Blade and for them to be really slow, since being melee is not what Quote is about.

Up taunt: Brandishes King's Blade like Ganon does in one of his taunts, but with a determined look.
Side taunt: Pulls out a Life Capsule, but shrugs in disappointment knowing that you can't use those in this game.
Down taunt: Looks at his currently equipped weapon and sweeps off the blood and dust from his enemies with his fingers
Victory theme: Life Capsule Get theme, Item Get theme
KO sound: Explosion death sound, you know the one when Quote straight up dies
Star KO sound: Maybe a slowed down broken robot sound? Like the sound that ROB makes when he gets Star KO'd, I suppose.

Quote is built to focus on power while Curly has more emphasis on spread and mobility. Both are rewarded by button mashing for that sweet, sweet damage like you want for every Cave Story boss. They play in the same way you played Cave Story, pretty much.
Quote has more powerful options in Fireball and maxed out Polar Star, while Curly has more technical options in Bubbline and her Machine Gun.
Maybe Curly could also be immune to drowning to pay homage to that time at the Core. Tell me what you all think. I'm so tired so I'm going to bed.

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
Quote/Curly Brace moveset, a notepad autism original. Excuse me if I have no idea how forum colors or post limits work. I can't believe I created an account to present this.
If Sans can get in, so can Quote. This is only if he doesn't end up as a Mii costume/Spirit/Assist Trophy/Mega Man clone.
Cave Story doesn't appear popular enough, but it seems to be known for being one of the first indie games to make it big.
Quote and Curly are echoes. I want to cover the specials and their passive ability first. Assume that everything that Quote has also applies to Curly unless stated otherwise. Also, reading the Neutral Special might be confusing until you read the Down Special.

- Level Up/Energy Crystals. This is a fighter ability.
In Cave Story, Quote can defeat enemies which drop Energy Crystals. These are like experience points, which can level up his weapon up to a max of 3.
In Smash, Quote can damage enemies with his weapon for them to drop Energy Crystals, which have the same function as above similar to Hero's MP.
Just like the games, if Quote is damaged he can lose Energy Crystals and downgrade his equipped weapon, but he gains them faster than he loses them.
For an exception to Smash, he can gradually gain Energy Crystals on his own for all weapons, but only if he hasn't collected an Energy Crystal in 30 seconds or more.
Also, the higher the opponent's percentage, the more Energy Crystals they drop.

- Neutral Special: Fire Weapon
Fires a shot from the currently equipped weapon. Travels horizontally in the direction you're facing. The type of weapon you fire is based on the Down Special.
Polar Star and Machine Gun are signature weapons, the default they start with. Being their signature weapons they should be the fastest out of their arsenal.
Unlike the other weapons, they cannot make the opponent flinch in the same way that Fox's lasers cannot unless they're Level 3.

Polar Star: recharge 1 ammo per 2s, 25 ammo max
Polar Star is weaker than the Machine Gun and functions exactly like the original game, but a Level 3 Polar Star has a charge shot effect that can fire possibly one of the most powerful projectiles in the game.
At Level 3, Quote can charge a shot by holding B. Even if it's fully charged, he won't fire unless you let go. Unlike the games, this charging period halves his movement speed even on the Booster, but he can still jump.
A half shot is obv half the charge and costs 5 ammo, while a full shot costs 10 ammo. Both pierce through enemies, but grow weaker for every enemy they pierce.
A half shot could be a multi-hit, while a full shot is a KO move that rivals Samus' full Charge Shot.
If you let go early or are interrupted by an attack he will fire a regular shot if his charge < 50%, or a half shot if 50% <= his charge < 100%.

Machine Gun: recharge 1 ammo per 1.5s, 25 ammo max
The Machine Gun is faster and has slightly more power than the Polar Star.
A Level 3 Machine Gun has a recoil effect which can be extremely useful and possibly very annoying for your opponent. You can hold the B button to make Curly fire rapidly in exchange for weaker shots.
Curly takes slight knockback in the opposite direction you're firing for a max of 3 seconds of holding, allowing her to retreat and attack at the same time as long as she has ammo.
This also works in the air but only if you're already holding B so she won't perform Down Special or Up Special. If you fire downward for example she can hover and vice versa.

Missile Launcher: recharge 1 ammo per 2s, 10 ammo max
Fires powerful missiles that travel slow at first, but accelerate as they continue to fly.
Movement speed is halved, and Quote cannot fire missiles while flying on the Booster. Doing so will cause him to deactivate the Booster and lose all jumps.
Quote fires X amount of missiles where X is the current level of the weapon.

Fireball: recharge 1 ammo per 2s, 10 ammo max
Shoots a fireball that acts the same way as Pikachu's Thunder Jolt, but way slower, and it releases a small flame pillar that persists for X seconds where X is the current level of the weapon.

Bubbline: recharge 1 ammo per 1.5s, 15 ammo max
Shoots a flurry of bubbles that are initially packed in a small cloud similar to Piranha Plant's Side B. The ammo for this one can drain FAST.
The bubbles slowly flow in the direction that you flick with the Control Stick and unlike the other weapons they can even go diagonally and through walls.
They will only pop if they come into contact with an enemy. Possible gimping tool.

- Side Special: Blade Spirit
I really didn't know what to do for this one, and this means that Curly also obtains King's Blade so I'm kinda straying out of canon but whatever.
Unlike the other weapons, this one is already Level 3 in that swinging the sword summons King's Spirit, which deals sword damage in its path before disappearing. The initial sword swing also has a hitbox, similar to D3's Gordo Toss.

- Down Special: Weapon Switch
Quote has a level and Energy Gauge meter next to his portrait in battle.
He can switch between a set of weapons which affect his Neutral Special. This should be a quick move and can be done in the air, but not instantaneous and should play a sound effect so your opponent can react.
The weapons he can switch from are: Polar Star (Quote)/Machine Gun (Curly), Missile Launcher, and Fireball (Quote)/Bubbline (Curly).
Each weapon has their personal level and amount of Energy Crystals stored, like the original game.

- Up Special: Booster v2.0
Quote enables the Booster which temporarily enhances his movement. For roughly one second, he can hold jump to rise up, while holding jump and a horizontal direction allows him to hover similar to Peach/Daisy's Float.
He can still act wearing the booster, but when it reaches the one second limit he can no longer jump until he reaches the ground.

All smashes cost 2 ammo per shot, so Forward Smash would cost 4 ammo for example.
- Up Smash
Fires a single shot of the currently equipped weapon into the air with the single shot's damage being doubled than if it were used in a Neutral Special..
If Missile Launcher is equipped, this shoots a powerful missile into the air that works in the same way as Snake's Up Smash, but it travels faster and if it doesn't hit a target it goes sky high, and it might take a while before gravity forces it to get down. Try to remember where you fire it, maybe you could do throw setups into a landing Up Smash missile. Just be careful, because it can still hurt you.

- Forward Smash
Fires two shots of the currently equipped weapon into the ground a la Samus's Down Smash. Same damage multiplier as Up Smash.

- Down Smash
Basically like Forward Smash, but one shot each for forward and back. Same damage multiplier as Up Smash.

His aerials can be like a typical swordie's. He can use King's Blade for those but I would prefer them to involve ONLY King's Blade and for them to be really slow, since being melee is not what Quote is about.

Up taunt: Brandishes King's Blade like Ganon does in one of his taunts, but with a determined look.
Side taunt: Pulls out a Life Capsule, but shrugs in disappointment knowing that you can't use those in this game.
Down taunt: Looks at his currently equipped weapon and sweeps off the blood and dust from his enemies with his fingers
Victory theme: Life Capsule Get theme, Item Get theme
KO sound: Explosion death sound, you know the one when Quote straight up dies
Star KO sound: Maybe a slowed down broken robot sound? Like the sound that ROB makes when he gets Star KO'd, I suppose.

Quote is built to focus on power while Curly has more emphasis on spread and mobility. Both are rewarded by button mashing for that sweet, sweet damage like you want for every Cave Story boss. They play in the same way you played Cave Story, pretty much.
Quote has more powerful options in Fireball and maxed out Polar Star, while Curly has more technical options in Bubbline and her Machine Gun.
Maybe Curly could also be immune to drowning to pay homage to that time at the Core. Tell me what you all think. I'm so tired so I'm going to bed.
Wow. Quote could be a great aggressive middleweight gunner who can zone out and attack whenever it needs to suit him. I do think his sword aerials should probably be slow of powerful, and he should have some sort of spike.
He should also totally have the Tow Rope as a tether.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Cave Story is the granddaddy of modern indies. If not even Sans got to be a fighter, then theres only one popular indie left to be playable, right?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
While I’ve always been skeptical on the possibility of any indie character making the jump to playability, if there was any character I’d be truly hyped to see playable, it’d be Quote.

Cave Story was one of my favorite games to play on the Wii, so I would be elated to see any content make it in.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I hope I'm not too late to the thread. Count me in as a Quote supporter! I love Cave Story and personally, I consider it one of the (if not THE) definition of an indie game. One of the first indie games of modern times that revitalized these one-man to small studio made games; truly a work of art. Platforming's both smooth and tight, visuals are nice and fitting for the game's world and characters, and the tools the player has to work around make it an enjoyable experience. And yes, Mega Man vs. Quote must happen one day. :love:

Paraster

Smash Lord
If Quote did make it, what would you like to see for his reveal trailer/cinematic?

Personally, I've been brainstorming a scenario where Fox, Falco, and Snake are on a mission through a strange complex. They find a powered-down R.O.B. and Mega Man. They move to take them from the complex, but then one of them says, "Wait, wasn't there supposed to be THREE robots?" And then they get blasted by the Spur.

The stinger would show Quote, after having trounced the three, taking Fox or Falco's blaster before deciding it's not good enough for him and throwing it away. Potentially with a dismayed comment from the blaster's owner assuming he's still conscious.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
If Quote did make it, what would you like to see for his reveal trailer/cinematic?

Personally, I've been brainstorming a scenario where Fox, Falco, and Snake are on a mission through a strange complex. They find a powered-down R.O.B. and Mega Man. They move to take them from the complex, but then one of them says, "Wait, wasn't there supposed to be THREE robots?" And then they get blasted by the Spur.

The stinger would show Quote, after having trounced the three, taking Fox or Falco's blaster before deciding it's not good enough for him and throwing it away. Potentially with a dismayed comment from the blaster's owner assuming he's still conscious.
My idea for a trailer would be a conversation between Sue and Kazama like at the beginning of the game. Kazama would say something about finding a strange letter and that he'd be sending it to Mimiga Village via the teleporter. The letter arrives and Quote grabs it and shows it to the audience. All of this would be through in-game footage.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
I could have sworn I was already supporting this, but I guess not.

Welp, throw me on the supporter list then!

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not to give you guys false hope or anything but thought this was worth sharing. This very bizarre out of character tweet from Nicalis referring to FP5

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/1204951505003900930

Reminder that back in 2015 they were asking people to vote for Quote on the Smash Ballot and a lot of the estimated poll results seem to show that Quote most likely did relatively well on the ballot once you remove everyone else who has already been added

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/583744924182388737

The most recent tweet in my opinion is either explicitly trying to be cruel to their fans (and they have done nothing to de-confirm Quote after some of the excited responses they got) or it's definitely teasing something. Either way thought it was worth bringing here for discussion.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Not to give you guys false hope or anything but thought this was worth sharing. This very bizarre out of character tweet from Nicalis referring to FP5

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/1204951505003900930

Reminder that back in 2015 they were asking people to vote for Quote on the Smash Ballot and a lot of the estimated poll results seem to show that Quote most likely did relatively well on the ballot once you remove everyone else who has already been added

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/583744924182388737

The most recent tweet in my opinion is either explicitly trying to be cruel to their fans (and they have done nothing to de-confirm Quote after some of the excited responses they got) or it's definitely teasing something. Either way thought it was worth bringing here for discussion.
I'm gonna assume it's just a light joke but damn if Quote really did get a reveal at the TGA's I'd be so happy.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm gonna assume it's just a light joke but damn if Quote really did get a reveal at the TGA's I'd be so happy.
It could be. It's just very peculiar since their account doesn't seem to really do things like this normally, and the timing right before the TGA makes it especially interesting/cruel

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Omg, I meant to bring that Tweet up in here. I'm not trying to hype myself up, but it's VERY intriguing. I hope it means something.

D

Deleted member

I have a feeling Quote could get the Sans/Cuphead treatment if he isn't a fighter.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I have a feeling Quote could get the Sans/Cuphead treatment if he isn't a fighter.
Surprisingly I would be okay with that.
Considering that a Mii Costume has overshadowed an actual DLC Fighter twice, Quote could be received just as well as Sans and Cuphead.

Paraster

Smash Lord
If this did happen, what do you think the accompanying song would be (assuming he got one)? Would it be a remix?

(Personally, I'd pick Last Battle: either the original, the 3D version, or a new remix. Potential alternatives would be the title/Plantation theme, Mischievous Robot, or Running Hell.)

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Just popping in here to show my support for Quote, as he's truly an indie icon and the protagonist of one of my personal favorite games. I've got a moveset for the lad, too:

quote_moveset.png

If this did happen, what do you think the accompanying song would be (assuming he got one)? Would it be a remix?
It'd almost certainly be Plantation/the title theme; I couldn't see it be anything else. I mean there are a dozen of songs I'd personally pick, but if not Plantation, I'd opt for Mischievous Robot. That's a very striking tune for me, and emblematic of the game itself. Also, maybe Labyrinth Fight.

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
It's been awhile lol.

I am praying that we don't get mii costume Quote.

I mean I wouldn't mind it, but unless it's full body like cuphead's or Sans, we'll have to see the mii faces. Maybe I'm just complaining, but Mii faces on established characters are creepy to me *shivers at Chrom Mii*

But on a lighter note, thinking positive, if Quote and Curly were announced, who would voice them? Or would they be silent like Mega Man?

Edit: would him in Crystal Crisis hurt his chances though? I really do want him in, but for example Rayman wasn't in Smash but he was in brawlhala.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
It's been awhile lol.

I am praying that we don't get mii costume Quote.

I mean I wouldn't mind it, but unless it's full body like cuphead's or Sans, we'll have to see the mii faces. Maybe I'm just complaining, but Mii faces on established characters are creepy to me *shivers at Chrom Mii*

But on a lighter note, thinking positive, if Quote and Curly were announced, who would voice them? Or would they be silent like Mega Man?

Edit: would him in Crystal Crisis hurt his chances though? I really do want him in, but for example Rayman wasn't in Smash but he was in brawlhala.
I'd like to see a Quote costume use a full-head mask, though it seems they only do that for characters with very distinct/non-human heads. You could replicate Quote's head in real life with face paint if you wanted, so I don't see a full mask happening.

Regarding voices, I think the most likely scenario is neither having voice lines, like Mega Man. I could, though, see lines from Blade Strangers and/or Crystal Crisis repurposed for Curly, or bringing her actress from those (don't know if they used the same person) back to record new lines. (And there's a small chance they could use Quote's BS/CC voice(s).) No idea who would dub her (or them) in English, though I could see them not bothering with a dub.

I don't see how appearances in other crossovers would affect their chances. There's no reason why Rayman couldn't be in both Brawlhalla and Smash if Sakurai wanted him in Smash, and the same goes for Quote (heck, Crystal Crisis is pretty far removed from Smash in gameplay, making it even less of a concern).

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Well I guess I could make "Quite From The Curve Stori" jokes if it does happen
But still mii faces are unsettling to me

Though I have high hopes for Quote. He'd be amazing to use and it might be the push I need to finish bloodstained sanctuary
Pls Sakurai

Edit to prevent double posting: How well did Quote do in the ballot? As well as how requested was he in Melee or Brawl?

Last edited:
Top Bottom