• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soldier From The Surface: Quote For Smash Switch

Do You Like Cave Story?

• Yes

• No

• Haven't Played It

Results are only viewable after voting.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
I finally bought Cave Story on the Eshop and I love it. My finger hurts though from platforming heh heh.

Anyway, do we have a design for a Quote profile icon thing? I don't remember what they're called, but those icons shaped like the character's head without a face. Stock icon?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Uh-oh. I just saw this in the General Speculation thread...

Suddenly, new franchises look a lot less likely.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Hmmm.... Noticed my most wanted fighter's page has been, you know, inactive, but I think we actually have some news for our boi Quote:

Shovel Knight Assist Trophy
Shantae Spirit

What big indie character is missing from Smash for an appearance? Quote. You never know, he could be our first indie fighter as DLC. That'd be so amazing.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Hmmm.... Noticed my most wanted fighter's page has been, you know, inactive, but I think we actually have some news for our boi Quote:

Shovel Knight Assist Trophy
Shantae Spirit

What big indie character is missing from Smash for an appearance? Quote. You never know, he could be our first indie fighter as DLC. That'd be so amazing.
TBH; if we're getting an Indie character, I STILL think we'll get Shantae

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
I'm very sure he's gonna be a spirit. Thanks to them showcasing Shantae and all. But seriously, who will they use for you to fight him? MegaMan?

Paraster

Smash Lord
Quote is by far my number one choice for a newcomer. Not only because I love Cave Story and think Quote's arsenal could make a really good moveset, but also because I feel Quote would hold some great symbolic value.

Nintendo seems to be easing into indie representation for Smash with Commander Video appearing as a trophy in Smash 4, while Shantae appears in Ultimate as a spirit and Shovel Knight is in as an assist trophy. I am convinced that the idea of adding an indie fighter has at least crossed Nintendo's mind, and if they do so, who better than the main character of a game with significant history on Nintendo platforms that is also a significant early landmark for indie games?

I did some work at coming up with a moveset for Quote and some other things that would accompany him. Most of this I came up with on my own, though I did use Mega Man's moveset as a baseline when I began (this became much less prominent as I went, especially as I eventually decided to incorporate every weapon Quote can get, though you'll likely see a few remnants of this), and this article inspired some of the cosmetic elements. (Note that I opted not to include the leveling system as an element of Quote's moveset for the sake of simplicity.)

Attacks
(All weapons, unless otherwise stated, are at Lv. 3--with the exception of the Blade, which is at Lv. 2 when used as a melee weapon.)
Neutral attack - Quote shoots the Polar Star, similarly to Mega Man's equivalent attack.
Forward tilt - Quote shoots the Polar Star, similarly to Mega Man's equivalent attack.
Up tilt - Quote shoots the Polar Star upward.
Down tilt - Quote swings the Polar Star to hit opponents with it.
Dash attack - Quote releases the Whimsical Star, which is launched forward before flying back to Quote, as he darts forward.
Forward smash - Quote shoots the Missile Launcher forward. Its level increases with charge time.
Up smash - Quote throws the Blade upward. Its level increases with charge time.
Down smash - Quote shoots the Fireball forward, then backward in quick succession. The Fireball's level increases with charge time.
Neutral aerial - Quote shoots the Polar Star, similarly to Mega Man's equivalent attack.
Forward aerial - Quote shoots the Machine Gun forward.
Back aerial - Quote shoots the Machine Gun backward.
Up aerial - Quote shoots the Machine Gun upward.
Down aerial - Quote shoots the Machine Gun downward. He is pushed upward slightly during the attack.
Grab - Quote uses the Tow Rope as a tether.
Pummel - Quote shoots with the Polar Star at point-blank range.
Forward throw - Quote shoots the opponent at point-blank range with the Machine Gun, launching them forward.
Back throw - Quote throws the opponent backwards and follows up with a Machine Gun volley.
Up throw - Quote throws the opponent upward a short distance before shooting them with the Machine Gun.
Down throw - Quote smacks the opponent downward, then assaults them with the Machine Gun.
Floor attack (front) - Quote, as he gets up, swings his elbow forward.
Floor attack (back) - Quote, as he gets up, swings his elbow backward.
Floor attack (trip) - Quote swings his elbow as he gets up.
Edge attack - Quote jumps up and kicks forward.
Neutral special - Nemesis: Quote fires a shot from the Nemesis. It starts in its Lv.3 version, with the level decreasing as Quote takes damage, increasing its power.
Side special - Snake: Quote fires a shot from the Snake which can travel through solid objects.
Up special - Booster v2.0: Quote jets quickly through the air in any cardinal direction.
Down special - Bubbline: Quote creates bubbles that hover around him and act as shields. The longer you hold the attack, the more bubbles are created. When you stop holding the attack, the bubbles are launched forward as projectiles.
Final Smash - Spur: Quote takes out the Spur and launches a fully-charged blast forward.

Cosmetic elements
Side taunt - Quote threateningly swings the Blade forward; the ghost of King can be seen hovering close by.
Up taunt - Quote dons the Mimiga Mask, then takes it off. Alternatively, it could remain on him, and if he performs the taunt again, he takes it off.
Down taunt - Quote looks toward the background as a question mark appears above his head.
Victory pose 1 - Quote spins the Polar Star in his hands like a gunslinger before pointing it at the screen as his name pops up.
Victory pose 2 - Curly is present, and enthusiastically congratulates Quote (if Curly is playable as an alt model, the roles are swapped when she wins).
Victory pose 2 - Quote shoots an energy capsule hovering above him; crystals rain upon him.
Victory music - A remix of either Cave Story's "Victory" theme or its "Item Get" theme.
Color 1 - Default (red/white)
Color 2 - Easy Mode (yellow/white)
Color 3 - Hard Mode (blue/peach)
Color 4 - King-based (purple/white)
Color 5 - Curly Brace-based (red or pink/yellow) (or Curly as alt model; below colors would go to her)
Color 6 - Misery-based (green/blue)
Color 7 - Balrog-based (gray/brown)
Color 8 - Team 9-based (black/blue)
Boxing Ring title: "Soldier from the Surface" (if Curly is an alt. model, she would be "Mimiga Ally")
Series emblem: A sillhouette of the island
Misc. element - When damaged, Quote has a chance to spill out energy crystals (these are entirely cosmetic, however).

Stage ideas
Core - A series of platforms in the flooded Core room, likely with the walls, ceiling, and/or floor removed to facilitate blast zones. The Core could serve as a stage hazard/boss.
Outer Wall - Platforms shooting off from the exterior of the island, with the left blast zone covered by the wall (this would not likely be compatible with competitive play).

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I don't remember where I got the inkling for this idea, but how amazing would it be if a Quote reveal was the conclusion to a Nindies showcase?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I don't remember where I got the inkling for this idea, but how amazing would it be if a Quote reveal was the conclusion to a Nindies showcase?
I would laugh really hard to be honest. Remember when everyone thought that one recent Nindies was going to cap with a Shantae reveal? Oof. :laugh:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Hey y'all. I just wanted to pop in and you show y'all some artwork I had made way back in July I believe that I hadn't really shown anywhere. I love Quote (and Curly) and Cave Story to death and just wish he (or she lol) could come. Quote has been and always will be my most wanted newcomer and I hope this draw can justify that (if you're wondering about the Colons Kids being there, I think they would be cool assists lol)
image1-2.jpeg

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
Heya, I came here to say that I fully support Quote's inclusion in Smash Bros. In 2017, I was doing something Smash related and thought to myself, "Hey, Cave Story is a thing" and I've wanted him in the game ever since. When I found out about the idea of him being in Smash I was completely on board. Cave Story is an amazing game, and Quote would be one of the best indie reps out there, and a realistic one at that.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Hello, just wanna say that the indie rep i want is Quote. I really hope we get him, so you can count me in as a supporter!

Paraster

Smash Lord
I came up with an idea for a Quote Classic Mode based on the original game.

Round 1: Enemy: King Dedede (monochrome); Stage: Onett
Round 2: Enemy: Bowser (green); Stage: Midgar
Round 3: Enemy: Quote (Curly look; default if this skin is in use) + 4 Mini Isabelles; Stage: Mushroomy Kingdom
Round 4: Enemy: R.O.B. (green); Stage: Garden of Hope
Round 5: Enemy: Giant King K. Rool; Stage: Shadow Moses Island
Round 6: Enemy: Dr. Mario (red); Stage: Skyloft
Bonus Game
Boss: Giga Bowser

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Quote is being rated in the RTC thread, come show your support.

D

Deleted member

Shovel Knight and Shantae get the most attention in the realm of Indie Characters to be playable in Smash. But there do exist a handful of what I call "2nd Place Requests". Meaning that while not requested as often as Shantae and Shoves, they still have a hefty amount of support behind them in the realm of Indie characters.

From what I've seen, Quote is one of those. And while I haven't played Cave Story myself yet, I like the idea well enough to where I would like to be added to the support list.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Question to those who have created a Quote Mii Gunner (I'm assuming I'm not the only one): what specials did you choose? I personally went with Laser Blaze (Polar Star), Gunner Missile (Missile Launcher), Lunar Launch Arm Rocket (Booster), and Echo Reflector (Bubbline).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Question to those who have created a Quote Mii Gunner (I'm assuming I'm not the only one): what specials did you choose? I personally went with Laser Blaze (Polar Star), Gunner Missile (Missile Launcher), Lunar Launch (Booster), and Echo Reflector (Bubbline).
I haven't made a Quote Mii Gunner yet (care to share the design details of yours?) But with all 3 Mii Fighter Types, I give each one I make the same set of specials just so I can consistently use the set I like the best.

In the case of the Mii Gunner that's:

Neutral B: Charge Blast

Side B: Gunner Missile

Up B: Lunar Launch

Down B: Bomb Drop

Last edited by a moderator:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I haven't made a Quote Mii Gunner yet (care to share the design details of yours?)
There isn't a tank top Mii outfit in the game (at least as far as I can tell), so I went with the SSB t-shirt. (I never noticed before making this fighter that Quote is actually dressed rather casually.) Picking the Mario Hat for headwear was pretty simple, though.

I can supply a screenshot if necessary?

Paraster

Smash Lord
Yes please.

EIDT: I have since changed Quote to instead use Arm Rocket for Up-Special. I also opted to use Cannon Jump Kick for a Curly Mii I later created (attempting to reference the Machine Gun's vertical prowess).

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
I used the normal Mii hat and the same clothes I think.

Oh also it seems Smash keeps adding new spirits. Sometimes it says "500 new spirits are added to the spirit board"
I dunno if I want to see Quote there or not, but I want Quote to be in Smash some way...

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I used the normal Mii hat and the same clothes I think.

Oh also it seems Smash keeps adding new spirits. Sometimes it says "500 new spirits are added to the spirit board"
I dunno if I want to see Quote there or not, but I want Quote to be in Smash some way...
Huh? Pics?

Paraster

Smash Lord
I'm curious; where'd that Quote sprite at the top of the thread come from? Was it made specially for this thread? I can't find it anywhere else via reverse image search.

A thought: there's been 5 "official" versions of the CS soundtrack (the original, the WiiWare version, the 3D/Plus version, and the Famitrack and Ridiculon versions from the Switch port), alongside remixes that accompanied cameos in other games (like 1001 Spikes or Blade Strangers). If they wanted, they could probably get away with putting in a bunch of different renditions and not even bother making original Smash remixes. (It would be a shame if they did this, but I wouldn't complain too much.)

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
For those who don't know Quote is the main protagonist and hero of the indie game Cave Story. You can read more about him here.

Remember back in mid 2018, when we revealed that Bomberman was an assist trophy? Fans were very disappointed when it happened. However, Bomberman has a high chance of being playable in Smash 6.

Now Quote, on the other hand, would've been a better Assist Trophy instead of Bomberman.

My question to you is: do you think that Quote should be an Assist Trophy instead of a playable character? and why?

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I mean I'd prefer him as a playable character but I honestly wouldn't mind seeing him as just an AT. I'd be pretty happy to see any form of Cave Story representation in Smash.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I mean I'd prefer him as a playable character but I honestly wouldn't mind seeing him as just an AT. I'd be pretty happy to see any form of Cave Story representation in Smash.
But Quote doesn't even have a complete series of games. So I don't think he should be playable. But having him as an Assist Trophy would be better than having Bomberman as an assist trophy.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don’t even follow your logic but Id be alright with Quote as playable or as an AT. Haven’t played Cave Story so I really don’t know, but it seems to me that he’d be more unique if playable, whether as an AT he might be another shooty guy like Sheriff and Starman.

Paraster

Smash Lord
But Quote doesn't even have a complete series of games. So I don't think he should be playable. But having him as an Assist Trophy would be better than having Bomberman as an assist trophy.
Since when has being from a "complete series" been a requirement? Ice Climbers and Duck Hunt only have one game each, and while their respective series are larger than just their games, one could argue that Shulk, Young Link, and all the Fire Emblem characters only appear in one game each.

Not to say I'd be upset if Quote would be relegated to an Assist Trophy (even just a spirit would be enough for me), but Quote's vast arsenal and important status among indie games feels worthy of a playable slot (especially if indie rep is deliberately being sought out by the devs, which I believe they are doing and is a very good idea).

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Since when has being from a "complete series" been a requirement? Ice Climbers and Duck Hunt only have one game each, and while their respective series are larger than just their games, one could argue that Shulk, Young Link, and all the Fire Emblem characters only appear in one game each.

Not to say I'd be upset if Quote would be relegated to an Assist Trophy (even just a spirit would be enough for me), but Quote's vast arsenal and important status among indie games feels worthy of a playable slot (especially if indie rep is deliberately being sought out by the devs, which I believe they are doing and is a very good idea).
But in Ice Climbers, and Duck Hunt's case they are first party characters, Quote is a third party character. And he lacks an unabridged series.

I don’t even follow your logic but Id be alright with Quote as playable or as an AT. Haven’t played Cave Story so I really don’t know, but it seems to me that he’d be more unique if playable, whether as an AT he might be another shooty guy like Sheriff and Starman.
Well if he were an Assist Trophy, he would run around the platforms, and shoot opponents with his guns.

Paraster

Smash Lord
But in Ice Climbers, and Duck Hunt's case they are first party characters, Quote is a third party character. And he lacks an unabridged series.
Again, why assume that one needs to be from a series to qualify? Why can't a character get in after appearing in a single significant game (discounting crossover cameos)?

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Popping into the thread to share my opinions on Quote.

I LOVE Cave Story, and think that Quote would be a perfect pick for Smash. I also have a theory that he's "Brave", even though I personally don't believe in it. I do think that the option's open, though, however slim a chance!

BRAVE THEORY
Brave is short (Ness/Lucas Height). Quote stands at about that comparative to The Doctor, who I think is a regular human but I haven't played CS in forever.
Brave is relatively heavy (Mega Man weight-ish). Mega Man and Quote are both robots and roughly the same height, so they'd probably weigh very similarly.
Brave is slow(ish) on the ground. Quote's speed isn't too fantastic on the ground if memory serves, and it may be for balancing.
Brave is fast in the air. So is Quote, and he could be using the Booster 2.0.
Brave seems to play like a zoner (PAC-MAN, Duck Hunt Duo). Quote, with his tremendous arsenal, would also probably play like a zoner.
BRAVE rhymes with CAVE, and is one letter off BRACE (i.e Curly Brace). This one's a stretch, I know.

Why would Sakurai pick Quote? Surely he's irrelevant.
Cave Story is widely credited as the first big indie game. It also has rereleases all over Nintendo, including an exclusive 3DS game (Cave Story 3D). The legacy of indies is immeasurable, and since CS is the codifier for a lot of them, it's the same argument as, say, Dragon Quest.

I have a moveset drawn up for Quote but I don't want to wall-of-text this thread too badly. I think Quote would fit right into Smash's colourful line-up, and I'd love to support him in any way I can!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Popping into the thread to share my opinions on Quote.

I LOVE Cave Story, and think that Quote would be a perfect pick for Smash. I also have a theory that he's "Brave", even though I personally don't believe in it. I do think that the option's open, though, however slim a chance!

BRAVE THEORY
Brave is short (Ness/Lucas Height). Quote stands at about that comparative to The Doctor, who I think is a regular human but I haven't played CS in forever.
Brave is relatively heavy (Mega Man weight-ish). Mega Man and Quote are both robots and roughly the same height, so they'd probably weigh very similarly.
Brave is slow(ish) on the ground. Quote's speed isn't too fantastic on the ground if memory serves, and it may be for balancing.
Brave is fast in the air. So is Quote, and he could be using the Booster 2.0.
Brave seems to play like a zoner (PAC-MAN, Duck Hunt Duo). Quote, with his tremendous arsenal, would also probably play like a zoner.
BRAVE rhymes with CAVE, and is one letter off BRACE (i.e Curly Brace). This one's a stretch, I know.

Why would Sakurai pick Quote? Surely he's irrelevant.
Cave Story is widely credited as the first big indie game. It also has rereleases all over Nintendo, including an exclusive 3DS game (Cave Story 3D). The legacy of indies is immeasurable, and since CS is the codifier for a lot of them, it's the same argument as, say, Dragon Quest.

I have a moveset drawn up for Quote but I don't want to wall-of-text this thread too badly. I think Quote would fit right into Smash's colourful line-up, and I'd love to support him in any way I can!
He's actually a robot, for the record. Granted, that's difficult to avoid if you look him up these days.

impossablank

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 4154 9068 4227
I'd be so down for Quote as the first indie game rep on the roster, especially since Cave Story is one of the first really big indie games. So many possibilities for a move set too.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Although I love Quote, and he bring back those absolute nostalgic times. I wouldn't support him, unless he becomes more iconic later.

But also, if he became playable, which would be a no-good heartbreaker to me, I also thought that Sally (Sonic) Could work as a pseudo-clone of Quote.

Top Bottom