• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soldier From The Surface: Quote For Smash Switch

Do You Like Cave Story?

• Yes

• No

• Haven't Played It

Results are only viewable after voting.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Welcome to the Official
Quote For Smash Switch

Support Thread!
Who is Quote?

Quote, also known as Mr. Traveler, is the silent, robot protagonist of Cave Story, an indie title that has had multiple appearances on different Nintendo Systems, including a confirmed return to the Nintendo Switch.

Despite his convincingly humanlike appearance, Quote is actually a soldier robot whose mission was to eradicate the hidden dark power of the Island, in contrast with the other robots sent to seize control of it and, in turn, the Island itself and its residents. Due to this fact, he is capable of withstanding huge amounts of damage if he has acquired sufficient Life Capsules, which increase his maximum durability. He is also highly skilled in armed combat and has the ability to wield a wide arsenal of weapons, from swords and guns to anti-material weaponry without any special training. [Source]

Why Should Quote Be Playable?

Armed with a variety of weaponry and tools, Quote is fit to handle almost any situation. Examples of such weapons include the simple pea shooter Polar Star, the area damaging bubble gun Bubbline, and the powerful Blade who's previous owner resides within to punish enemies from afar. He also possesses a jet pack, called a Booster, which is modified to be able to zoom around quickly and perform sharp up, down, left and right turns with ease, though this flight ability is limited. You can find the list of weapons Quote is capable of utilizing here.

Cave Story also has a unique feature that could be implemented into Quote's playstyle as well. In Cave Story, whenever you defeat an opponent, they drop these small golden triangular items that, when picked up, add EXP to you currently equipped weapon. Enough EXP Levels up a weapon, giving it a boost in effect and damage. The cap Level is 3, and when you take damage, you lose EXP from your weapon, possibly lowering its current level. So how this could be implemented into a moveset? Well, the possibilities- I'll leave it up to you.

With all of this in mind, Quote has a lot to offer on the stage- both offensively and cosmetically. His utility belt of weaponry opens potential for a very fun and wide play style that few previous characters achieved, such as Mega Man.

Curly Brace

Quote isn't the only playable character in Cave Story however. Curly Brace, another robot soldier (who's not so silent), can be seen as the female counterpart of Quote, and even has her own story, called Curly Story, which swaps Quote with Curly. Curly has all the same abilities as Quote, and similar body structure means that this can be implemented into Smash Bros by adding Curly Brace as Quote's alt. costume, much like how Robin has male and female alts.

Quote Moveset List

Every playable character has a moveset. Here, you can find moveset ideas made by your fellow users. You too can turn in an idea. Make sure you tag me so I can add it!
---
A: Shoots with the Polar Star like Mega Man's A
Ftilt: Slashes with the Blade
Utilt: Whacks with the Polar Star
Dtilt: Shoots ground in front of him like Zamus DSmash
Nair: Spin in place
Fair: shoots a single shot
Bair: Shoots a Blade behind himself
Uair: uses the Rope as a whip
Dair: Polar Star shot, meteor smash
Usmash: Shoots the Machine Gun upwards like Mii Gunner Uair
Fsmash: Shoots out a Snake shot
Dsmash: Shoots shortrange spurts while breakdancing, lots of range
Grab: Uses the rope, can be used as tether
Pummel: Smacks with Polar Star
Fthrow: Shoots a Fireball that sends the foe flying
Bthrow: A reversed version of Bthrow
Uthrow: Throws upwards and shoots a Missle
Dthrow: Shoots with rapidfire Polar Star shots
B: Spur, essentially Thoron, but charges longer and no ammo
Side B: Shoots a Fireball, it bounces like Sheik's Side B but when it hits something it makes a fire pillar
Up B: Booster, Pikachu/Greninja Up B but slower, you can still use aerials
Down B: Energy Crystal, Grabs an Energy Crystal putting him to a higher level, increasing power. Can be done twice, takes a minute to use again
Final Smash: Super Missle Launcher, Quote becomes invincible and all attacks other than Booster shoot missles for a while, dealing little knockback but tons of damage
Taunt 1: Hovers with the Booster a few inches of the ground
Taunt 2: Juggles all weapons
Taunt 3: Grabs the Nemesis and sneers at it

View attachment 261238

--------------------

Gimmick

View attachment 261240
In Cave Story, weapons can become stronger by increasing your power meter. This is done by collecting orange energy crystals from defeated enemies. Taking damage however will decrease the meter.

For Smash, Quote's main gimmick would be his weapon power meter. There would be a single power meter that would increase either upon dealing damage to enemies or by taking damage (which ever would work best for balancing purposes). When the power meter is level 3, Quote's attacks would have improved properties such as additional damages and other unique features.

With that said, here is the moveset I came up with:

Normals

Jab: Polar Star
To mimic Cave Story’s 2D shooter playstyle, Quote’s jab would have him shooting from the Polar Star weapon similar to Mega Man’s jab.

Dash attack: King’s Blade
Quote runs and deals a slash attack with King’s sword.

Forward Tilt: Nemesis
Quote shoots with the Nemesis weapon. This is the only weapon in Cave Story that actually gets worse as it levels up, with the level 1 variant being a decently strong lightning beam while the level 3 variant just shoots out a bunch of weak ducks. I thought it’d be nice to keep this aspect as it’d stay true to the original game.

Up Tilt: Nemesis
Quote points upwards and shoots with the Nemesis weapon. Like his forward-tilt which also uses Nemesis, Quote’s up-tilt would become weaker and have less range as your power meter grows. Quote already gets a ton of crazy buffs when his power meter is high, so I thought it’d be balanced to weaken one of his defensive moves so he isn’t completely unstoppable.

Down Tilt: Fireball
Quote quickly shoots a Fireball towards the ground which moves a short distance before disappearing. The Fireball can be useful for edge guarding. Partly inspired by his Fireball move that he has in Blade Strangers.

Grab: Tow Rope
Quote uses the tow rope that is used to carry Curly around as a long reaching grab. Can also be used to latch onto ledges.

Aerials

Neutral Air: Polar Star
Same as jab in a manner similar to Mega Man's neutral air. Again I feel like the Polar Star should be represented twice since it's the main weapon you use for at least the first half of the game.

Forward-Air: Snake
Quote shoots the Snake weapon which promptly falls to the ground before disappearing in a manner similar to Game & Watch’s forward air. The level 3 variant can go through passable platforms, as the original weapon in Cave Story could shoot through walls.

Back-Air: King’s Blade
A backwards slash from King’s Blade.

Up air: King’s Blade
Quote swings upwards with King’s Blade. I know I’m using King’s Blade for a lot of his attacks, but its to help give him some melee moves in the midst of his heavy projectile moveset.

Down-Air: Machine Gun
Quote points downwards and shoots a barrage of shots from his machine gun that travels a short distance. It actually travels very far in Cave Story but I think the range should be lowered for balancing purposes. If the power meter is level 3, Quote will move upwards while using this attack making it a useful recovery move (though he’ll have to touch the ground to be able to float with it again)

Smash Attacks

Forward-Smash: King's Blade
Quote prepares to swing King’s Blade forward and then does so with a lot of strength. If the power meter is level 3, King’s Ghost will appear like in the actual game and deal a lot of quick rapid damage to the enemy. Although the level 3 variant is much stronger, it also has a ton of endlag.

Up-Smash: Machine Gun
Quote charges his machine gun and fires it straight above him. Sort of like Inkling’s up-smash except the damage comes from the actual bullets meaning you don’t get launched up at the very start.

Down Smash: Fireball
Quote shoots the Fireball weapon in the front and then in the back. Similar to Isabelle’s down smash.

Special Moves

Neutral B: Spur

Think of this move as a hybrid between Samus’ neutral B and the super scope item. Tap B to shoot a single small projectile that is slightly bigger/stronger than Quote’s Polar Star jab but takes longer to shoot. You can also hold down B to charge down a more powerful shot, with the strongest shot taking about 5 seconds to charge and being similar to Robin's thoron. When the charge is at max power, you can hold onto the shot for as long as you’d like and even jump/move, but you will be able to use any other attacks or dodge. You can shield to cancel the shot, however unlike Samus’ charge shot you will have to recharge it again from scratch.

This is the only weapon in Cave Story that does not require a certain weapon level to use since you manually charge it from level 1 to the max level. As a result, it is completely immune to the weapon power system that the other weapons would have.

Side B: Missile Launcher

Quote pulls out his missile launcher and shoots it either to the left or right. Essentially a faster version of Snake’s side B except the missile only goes straight. When your power meter is high, the missiles would turn into super missiles which are orange and are much stronger.

Like in Cave Story, the missile launcher would have ammo. You can regain ammo either by waiting for a while or by dealing damage with other attacks.

Up-B: Booster v.2.0

Quote flies in one of the four cardinal directions using his jetpack. It’s essentially Pikachu’s up-B except it's not as fast, Quote’s body doesn’t hurt anyone during the move, and Quote is able to use a few of his aerials during the attack.

Down-B: Bubbler

Quote shoots bubbles in front of him that will deal small damage and knockback to enemies. When your power meter is level 3, you can hold Down-B to have the bubbles surround Quote and then release the button to have them launch in a direction of your choosing.

Final Smash: Soldier’s Barrage

Quote hits the opponent(s) and then a cinematic happens where every weapon in the game is launched at the enemies. Quote ends the attack with a slash with King’s Blade, where King’s spirit can be seen charging at the opponent along with Quote.

If Curly is unable to appear as an echo fighter, then she would appear in this attack shooting at the enemies.
Cave Story Music List

For every series, there is a list of songs that are played in certain stages. Here, you can find the entire OST of Cave Story. Share and discuss which songs you would like to see play in Smash Bros.

Cave Story - Complete OST - 38:59

Cave Story Stage List

Like most series, there is a stage or two for one. Here, you can find stage ideas made by your fellow users. You too can turn in an idea. Make sure you tag me so I can add it!
---
*EMPTY!

Cave Story Assist Trophy List

For characters who just didn't make the cut, some make an appearance as an Assist Trophy. Here, you can find Assist Trophy ideas made by your fellow users. You too can turn in an idea. Make sure you tag me so I can add it!
---
*EMPTY!

Snashboards Support List

Huzzah to all who support Quote for Smash Switch! But for your information, its not just us who support his inclusion. Nicalis came forward in the past via Twitter to encourage fans to vote for Quote in the previous Smash Ballot. But not only did they encourage it- they gave us artwork of what could be what Quote may of looked like if he won the Ballot.

If Quote does in fact make an appearence, it is possible that he could very well use this design!
---
  1. Aurane
  2. Aussie the Naturist
  3. Jason the Yoshi
  4. kirbeh
  5. Cutie Gwen
  6. AEMher
  7. CrossDispatcher
  8. RetroGamersGuru
  9. Ballos
  10. Megadoomer
  11. Caravan of Noobs
  12. SEGAGameboy
  13. الجن
  14. Freecs
  15. Optimistic Strifer
  16. FunAtParties
  17. Sari
  18. TrainerFireRed

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Cave Story is a classic, a pinnacle of indie gaming and one of the biggest ones.

Quote would definitely be an interesting character. Support.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I see some of you haven't tried Cave Story yet. For anyone that hasn't yet played Cave Story, you can play it on the Nintendo Switch once it is released (a released date is not yet confirmed), or now on the 3DS or Steam. I highly recommend that you give it a try. Its a wonderful game with a great story and challenging gameplay- depending on your chosen difficulty anyways.

And for anyone who cares, I heard Cave Story Switch may also be a physical copy. I believe this would be the first time Cave Story could be bought as a physical copy, besides Cave Story 3D. Very exciting, no? I know some people prefer physical over digital, so if you want a physical copy, we may just get one for the Switch.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I wouldn't mind seeing Quote in Smash, but I have yet to actually try out Cave Story.

Perhaps I'll look into it this summer.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
If I'm honest, I've always preferred these designs for the characters.

I still support the idea though. People usually bring up Shantae (my preferred choice) or Shovel Knight, but honestly Quote/Curly are pretty solid contenders among indie characters. I'm surprised they're not brought up as often. Though maybe I just haven't looked in the right places.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I agree, these designs are very cool. I most like the eyes and attention to cosmetic detail, like Curly's Iron Bond.
I still support the idea though. People usually bring up Shantae (my preferred choice) or Shovel Knight, but honestly Quote/Curly are pretty solid contenders among indie characters. I'm surprised they're not brought up as often. Though maybe I just haven't looked in the right places.
Well hey, glad to see more support, for sure.

Yeah, I think the problem with the low amount of supporters is relevancy. Now I'm not saying that IS the issue, but it makes sense. Cave Story is a single Indie title that's 13 years old. Shovel Knight and Shantae are still appeasing their fans with new content.

Cave Story is however returning to Nintendo Switch. This is a grand opportunity for Nicalis to reestablish the game, although I'll keep my expectations low.

That being said, I heavily support their inclusion because Cave Story is, as Aussie said, a classic and one of the biggest Indie titles around.
I still have a Quote moveset somewhere, I support
If you manage to find it, I'd like to see it. When I get the chance, I'll be adding a fresh one made by myself.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'll take a look at it and update the OP in a moment.
Also, you didn't add Jason the Yoshi in the support list
With all due respect, I am confused over whether he actually supports Quote or not. He said he simply wouldn't mind it and also stated he never played Cave Story. That entire post is a grey area. If he's a supporter then yes, I will most certainly add him, but I will need clarification from him. I don't want to add him and then be told he's not a supporter.

Jason the Yoshi Jason the Yoshi can you clarify this please?

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'll take a look at it and update the OP in a moment.

With all due respect, I am confused over whether he actually supports Quote or not. He said he simply wouldn't mind it and also stated he never played Cave Story. That entire post is a grey area. If he's a supporter then yes, I will most certainly add him, but I will need clarification from him. I don't want to add him and then be told he's not a supporter.

Jason the Yoshi Jason the Yoshi can you clarify this please?
My support for the character is legit. I just haven't played Cave Story yet.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
cave story is great

quote has mad potential to be unique in a similar way to mega man, where they play just like the platformer they come from.

I don't think he will ever get in at all, but I will always consider quote my dream fighter.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
News time folks. Cave Story + confirmed to be coming to Nintendo Switch.

The physical copy is confirmed and the price is $30.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well he's probably got the most Japanese support for an indie character by virtue of being the only one from Japan.

Not much in the west though. Which is kind of weird considering Cave Story has a pretty good attendance record on Nintendo systems and is a popular game in and of itself...

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Howdy. I'm a bit late on these things, apologies, but here's a news recap for those who missed it.

If you buy Cave Story+ at GameStop, you can get an exclusive Cave Story keychain of either Quote, Curly or Balrog. You won't be able to tell which one you get however. I want all three, so hopefully they will become available online or something.

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/05/...ve-story-keychain-when-you-buy-from-gamestop/

There's also a confirmation that Cave Story is getting Local Co-Op.

https://www.destructoid.com/cave-st...-contain-an-exclusive-co-op-mode-434184.phtml

And finally, Cave Story+ is being released for the Switch on June 20, as stated in the first link.

Anyways, as always, if you haven't played Cave Story yet, please do so! Its a fantastic game and I guarantee it'll be added to your favorites. Y'all take care and here's to Quote for Smash Bros.: Huzzah!

Ballos

Smash Rookie
I support Quote being in smash 4 all the way, he's who I ended up voting for in the ballot (from multiple IPs). It's my favorite game and if he was in I would definitely jump ship on marth and main the hell out of him

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd definitely be interested to see Quote make it to Smash. I played through Cave Story + on the Switch, getting both the normal and good endings for the first time (played a bit on PC, but the Switch controls seem so much smoother), and while I'd be fine with quite a few indie characters making it in, Quote definitely seems to have a lot to work with, and his game has been around for a while.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I never got that far into Shovel Knight to want to him Smash and despite me loving the Shantae series the only indie game I will put my whole heart into supporting is Cave Story. I replay that game constantly until I run out of save slots and go out to buy another copy of it on another device and then again beat the game 6 times. Quote and Curly just feel like best choice for a representative for indie gaming to me.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Haven't played it. But, I'm planning on getting Cave Story 3D. Add me to the supporters.

Freecs

Smash Cadet
I’m glad Shovel Knight didn’t get in because I think Quote is a far more deserving contender. Cave Story pretty much started the Indie scene so it makes perfect sense for Quote to be the Indie rep.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I don't think he'd ever get in Base Roster (Maybe like 5/10% being generous) But I'd absolutely LOVE to play as Quote, and he's gonna be one of the main people i'm gonna be rallying behind for the first DLC campaign. Count in my support!

Quick note; A Curly Brace echo fighter would be PERFECT

KMDP

Smash Legend
Made an updated Support List for Quote.
  1. Aurane Aurane
  2. Aussie the Naturist
  3. Jason the Yoshi
  4. kirbeh
  5. Cutie Gwen
  6. AEMher
  7. CrossDispatcher
  8. RetroGamersGuru
  9. Ballos
  10. Megadoomer
  11. Caravan of Noobs
  12. SEGAGameboy
  13. الجن
  14. Freecs
  15. Optimistic Strifer
  16. FunAtParties

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Inb4 Quote is revealed in the Nindies as a playable character. :troll:

Edit: whoops. Didn't mean to dp.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Cave Story is one of my all time favorite games. Count me in as a supporter!

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Quote is the only indie I really want besides Shantae. Sorry Shovel Knignt. Anywho, count me in

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Please add me to the support list. I love Cave Story. Quote is the only indie who has a legitimate shot of getting in with his game being world-wide popular and Japanese.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Yikes... I just made another Quote support thread. Guess I'll copy my spiel here real quick...

Welcome, one and all, to the Quote Support Thread! To those who don't know who Quote is, for one, it's not a quote. Quote is the title character for the Cave Story franchise developed by Nicalis. There have been 3 games so far, originating back in 2004, and all being playable on Nintendo consoles, with the final game, Cave Story 3D, being a Nintendo 3DS exclusive. The second game, Cave Story+ has been recently ported over to the Switch, and is known to many as the quintessential indie game. Due to all three games being in a metroidvania 2D style, I personally believe that a moveset comprised of all of his abilities in his games could translate quite nicely to Smash. The controls seem rather simple: run, jump, shoot. Still though, one would have to play the games to realize that there is a lot more depth than what might appear at the surface of the cave. For this reason, I will abstain on giving spoilers. I'm not here to ramble on and on about the game's history, I want to know your thoughts. What are the chances that Quote gets in the game? How do his odds stack up against other indie characters yet to be confirmed as in *ahem* Shantae *ahem*? Let me know in the replies!

RIP me, RIP...

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Can I be added to the support list? Quote is actually my #1 wanted fighter with Tails just behind him. I think I've completed Cave Story (no joke, with the good ending) probably around close to 20+ times too. I think Curly Brace as his Echo Fighter would work very well too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Put me on the list too! Although Cave Story's chances for a character inclusion are uncertain (never mind the lack of a sequel, who would they need to contact, Nicalis or Daisuke Amaya?).

These are pretty good designs, but I find the Blade Strangers ones the best.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Put me on the list too! Although Cave Story's chances for a character inclusion are uncertain (never mind the lack of a sequel, who would they need to contact, Nicalis or Daisuke Amaya?).

These are pretty good designs, but I find the Blade Strangers ones the best.
The Blade Strangers designs are great, and those are probably the one's I'd go with now, but they also kind of weren't a thing when I made that post. That aside, I'm still very fond of those older designs as well and would be fine with either. I do lean more towards the BS designs though, Kinu Nishimura's art is always great. If they were still doing the character specific art for newcomers like they did for Smash For I would have definitely liked to have seen her draw one of those.

Last edited:

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I like the Blade Strangers design but when I think of Quote I think of his original sprite of a chibi robot. I think Quote being the same size as his fellow humanoid robot Megaman would make sense.

StormC

Smash Hero
If any indie should be in Smash, it should definitely be Quote. The moveset potential is off the charts, and Quote vs. Mega Man would be the dream.

And yeah, like Mega Man I'd prefer a 3D version of his superdeformed 8 bit design.

Please put me on the list.

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Oh Lord, Quote vs Mega Man would be awesome! Also think what would happen if they had a SSE mode and they teamed up together?

Top Bottom