• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sol Badguy Rides the Fire!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah I would not expect spirits beyond Guilty Gear. Mii Costumes for Blazblue would be more likely.

As for Strive's final character, I'd like Johnny or Baiken, but they're gonna be DLC for sure. As most of you I'm thinking the character will be Ariels or That Man. But maybe Aria? She could bring Jack-O's moveset, or part of it. I'd expect her to be playable at some point, though I think the same for That Man. So if both do not make it for base roster, I predict they will eventually make it during DLC.

In any case, the beta has been very fun so far and the netcode is great. I've playing more Leo and I've reached Floor 7. He's truly an unga bunga character, but he's really fun lol. Never played with him a lot in Rev 2 so I'm "discovering" him now. Maybe is just me but I have the feeling the beta is reaching out to a lot of people, or at least among FGC streamers. They're basically playing Strive 24/7. And everything I've seen on social media from people who isn't into fighting games or people who plays FGC games but never tried Guilty Gear, was very positive.

Maybe I'm overconfident but I feel like with a bit of luck this game could be a hit for Arc System Works.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I waiting for view Dizzy, but probably comes has a DLC character.
Also i made this spirit board, opinions?
Hmm, I don't think they'd use art from Strive if Sol were to ever be in Smash honestly, I think they'd either use X or XX art. Like, I can see them using this for Sol's Fighter Spirit. I do think Zato is suspiciously missing from there as he's a fighter from the OG Guilty Gear. Testament and Slayer are characters I can see getting Spirits too.

Also, sadly, UNIST is a big no-no as it's a game from French Bread, the same developers of Melty Blood. I do see a Mii Costume possible however. Blazblue miiiiight be possible, but I'd honestly prefer it if they'd focus on Guilty Gear alone for the Spirits.

But nice work, more supporters that are open to the idea is always a plus for me! :D

Yeah I would not expect spirits beyond Guilty Gear. Mii Costumes for Blazblue would be more likely.

As for Strive's final character, I'd like Johnny or Baiken, but they're gonna be DLC for sure. As most of you I'm thinking the character will be Ariels or That Man. But maybe Aria? She could bring Jack-O's moveset, or part of it. I'd expect her to be playable at some point, though I think the same for That Man. So if both do not make it for base roster, I predict they will eventually make it during DLC.

In any case, the beta has been very fun so far and the netcode is great. I've playing more Leo and I've reached Floor 7. He's truly an unga bunga character, but he's really fun lol. Never played with him a lot in Rev 2 so I'm "discovering" him now. Maybe is just me but I have the feeling the beta is reaching out to a lot of people, or at least among FGC streamers. They're basically playing Strive 24/7. And everything I've seen on social media from people who isn't into fighting games or people who plays FGC games but never tried Guilty Gear, was very positive.

Maybe I'm overconfident but I feel like with a bit of luck this game could be a hit for Arc System Works.
I've gone from Sol to primarily using Ramlethal today, and oh god, I think I'm in love. I really love her new moveset in this game compared to her Xrd's incarnation. Didn't really like how you've had to control the individual swords before. I've been primarily fighting on Floor 6 and 7! Also a big fan of the Floor names lmao, I'm a big rock/metal fan so I always appreciate these little nods to the music genre Daisuke likes to put in Guilty Gear.

I've legit never seen Guilty Gear get this popular. This is a historical moment for the franchise for sure, and I can't wait to see what this boost of popularity may bring for Guilty Gear as a whole. Honestly, I'm very excited!

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sad to see the character has been leaked tbh. In fact I was spoiled by surprised because I was scrolling on Twitter and then the picture popped up :(

As for the characters, great pick! Never played her a lot on Xrd, I found her hard to use, but from the picture her redesign looks sick.

I'm surprised, I thought she was going to be DLC. AFAIK she's pretty popular.

I've already saw people complaining on Twitter because it's not who they wanted. This is what will happen, but worse, to Smash when we reach the end of the Pass lol

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Sad to see the character has been leaked tbh. In fact I was spoiled by surprised because I was scrolling on Twitter and then the picture popped up :(

As for the characters, great pick! Never played her a lot on Xrd, I found her hard to use, but from the picture her redesign looks sick.

I'm surprised, I thought she was going to be DLC. AFAIK she's pretty popular.

I've already saw people complaining on Twitter because it's not who they wanted. This is what will happen, but worse, to Smash when we reach the end of the Pass lol
Especially if the final character is a first party. Considering the reception to Byleth, Min Min, and now Pyra, I'm honestly kinda worried for a few people...

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
So, it was just announced that Samurai Showdown will be getting a Guilty Gear character. That is certainly an interesting development.
Yep, currently catching up on the roundtable as I was sleeping soundly during the presentation lol.

They'll totally go for the more Samurai-like characters. So either Baiken, Anji or Nagoriyuki would make total sense. Also, regarding Smash. Hey, SNK did a ton of crossovers before Terry got in, just saying....

Talking about SNK, I know this is a Sol thread and y'all might not be here for this stuff, but Chizuru got announced for KOFXV! This makes me quite happy as that means they'll be bringing over more "long-forgotten" characters from the Orochi Saga. Hyped for the possible inclusion of New Faces Team!

As for Guilty Gear, we know there'll be DLC for Strive, but I just wonder when and how they'll announce it. Guess we'll probably have to wait for release for this information.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
That's certainly not a crossover I saw coming, I picture Baiken, Anji or Nago fitting that series setting the best.
As for our last base roster character, I expected her to be dlc by this point, but she's also like one of the previous games plots more important characters so I guess it makes sense wish I liked her play style more though.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
imo should Sol get in we'd get GG spirits exclusively, I don't see them pulling off a SNK. I feel Zato, I-NO and Slayer are musts in that department as well.
Yeah, the spirits from BB and UNIB are only a thing i want and isnt something that I expected to happen. I don't put Zato or I-NO because I don't know what characters they could use to represent those characters (I'm not a very creative person)

By the way I-NO took me by surprise, I thought they were going to put her as a DLC character and that the last character was going to be Answer or another Xrd character but it is a pleasant surprise at the end of the day

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, the spirits from BB and UNIB are only a thing i want and isnt something that I expected to happen. I don't put Zato or I-NO because I don't know what characters they could use to represent those characters (I'm not a very creative person)

By the way I-NO took me by surprise, I thought they were going to put her as a DLC character and that the last character was going to be Answer or another Xrd character but it is a pleasant surprise at the end of the day
Zato could be Captain Falcon with a DHD or something to represent Eddie. As for I-No, my first thought is Zero Suit Samus as both adore being in the air but Palutena can also work as Palu's ftilt reminds me of I-No's 6H

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Baiken, Johnny, or Nagoriyuki in Samurai Shodown would be so sick. I love that Guilty Gear is crossing over into it. And as I said earlier, I-No is such a badass base roster pick and she looks amazing. Fantastic final roster to the point that I don't even mind my main (Slayer) isn't in yet. Can't wait to jam with the beta soon.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yep, currently catching up on the roundtable as I was sleeping soundly during the presentation lol.

They'll totally go for the more Samurai-like characters. So either Baiken, Anji or Nagoriyuki would make total sense. Also, regarding Smash. Hey, SNK did a ton of crossovers before Terry got in, just saying....

Talking about SNK, I know this is a Sol thread and y'all might not be here for this stuff, but Chizuru got announced for KOFXV! This makes me quite happy as that means they'll be bringing over more "long-forgotten" characters from the Orochi Saga. Hyped for the possible inclusion of New Faces Team!

As for Guilty Gear, we know there'll be DLC for Strive, but I just wonder when and how they'll announce it. Guess we'll probably have to wait for release for this information.
I don't know much about Guilty Gear, but Axl can travel through time, right? Maybe that would explain how he wound up in 18th century Japan. (I don't know if there are any sort of limits on his ability)

Though someone like Baiken would probably make the most sense aesthetically, at least from my incredibly limited knowledge of Guilty Gear and Samurai Shodown. (I don't know much about Anji)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Baiken, Johnny, or Nagoriyuki in Samurai Shodown would be so sick. I love that Guilty Gear is crossing over into it. And as I said earlier, I-No is such a badass base roster pick and she looks amazing. Fantastic final roster to the point that I don't even mind my main (Slayer) isn't in yet. Can't wait to jam with the beta soon.
Slayer will no doubt appear in the story in one way or another
Figures that Nago copying his mannerisms wasn't a coincidencr

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I don't know much about Guilty Gear, but Axl can travel through time, right? Maybe that would explain how he wound up in 18th century Japan. (I don't know if there are any sort of limits on his ability)
You know, I actually really like that theory! Axl kind of has a limitation to his time-travelling power, there's simply a cost to it. With his time/world-hopping ability there's the possibility that he may destroy timelines in the process. But before Revelator he used to have no control of this power and just randomly slipped through time with no actual consequence. Maybe they'd go with that idea where Axl just randomly slips to the Samurai Shodown timeline? It'd be pretty funny.

As much as I like the idea, I still think they might go with one of the more traditional Japanese inspired characters. Axl just kinda looks too much like a typical British Bloke from the '80's lol.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I remembered that the entire series was on sale on Steam so I bought everything I didn't yet have, which was Sign, 2 and of course, the original. Holy **** it took me a goddamn hour to beat Justice, I get the hype behind her now, the old IK system especially benefitting her. How did I end up winning? Going all unga bunga with Dragon Install lmao

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's been almost a full day since the last post so I'm gonna apologize for the doublepost, but I made some slight changes to my old Sol moveset after playing the original, the biggest change is a few more shoutouts to it, but first, the trailer!

Have it start out just like his dialogue against Testament as seen here. Couldn't find a video with just that cutscene, but Sol's are first anyway

The dialogue gets changed to "This tournament was held to get in Smash", then the match starts to which Sol IKs Testament and grabs a Smash invitation that fell out of Testament's pocket when he got launched by using his winpose, cut to a CG closeup, Sol Badguy Gets Into Gear! After a segment of gameplay, the Star Fox trio and Samus appear and knock his ass out, sent flying into a building while Sol's headband is seen falling into the foreground next to the now dropped invitation. One of the bounty hunters goes to pick it up before noticing red lightning appearing from where they knocked Sol, the dust starts to fade but only Sol's shadow is visible, with red lightning sparks emerging from him faster and faster until he shouts to the sky, "DRAGON INSTALL!"
View attachment 304613

Cut back to gameplay, Sol goes all unga bunga on everything in his DI state, knocking out the Star Fox Trio before using his final smash on Samus, after destroying her, he picks up the headband and invitation, smirks to the screen and walks away.
UNIQUE MECHANICS
Backwards walk: Just like the Shotos and Terry, Sol will walk backwards if in a 1v1 and autocorrect when dropping shield or landing

Input commands: Just like the Shotos and Terry, inputting the traditional commands for Sol's Special moves increases their strength, he can even cancel a lot of normals into specials by performing the input during the animation as long as he hit something.

Air Dash: At the cost of his second jump, Sol can air dash either forwards or backwards. This can let him chase opponents down, mix them up or even retreat and recover horizontally. There's little lag so Sol can use this as a decent burst option.

NORMALS
Jab: A punch to a kick and slash. Taken from 5P, 5K 5H.
Ftilt: Sol punches straight forward. Based on 6P.
Uptilt: Sol swings with his sword arm straight up. Based on 2H.
Dtilt: Sol slashes at a low angle. Based on 2S.
Dash attack: Sol lunges forward with a fiery fist. Based on Fafnir.
Up Smash: Sol winds up a powerful punch that sends his opponents straight up. Based on 5D.
Fsmash: Sol thrusts his sword straight into the ground with incredible force. Based on 6H's look used in Xrd and Strive.
Dsmash: Sol gets on his back and kicks his leg out. Based on 2D. The move is quick enough to be used against a parry, especially as it low profiles
AERIAL ATTACKS
Nair: Sol does a simple yet quick punch that's like Ryu's Nair. Based on jP.
Up Air: Sol swings upwards in an arc. Based on jS, but upside down.
Fair: Sol kicks straight in front of him. Based on jK.
Bair: Sol strikes backwards while holding his blade. Based on jD.
Dair: Sol thrusts right under him. Based on jH and is able to spike.
PUMMEL AND THROWS
Pummel: A simple yet generic knee.
F Throw: Sol headbutts his opponent, sending them flying. Based on his regular throw.
B Throw: Sol swings his opponent straight behind him with great force. Based on Wild Throw.
Up Throw: Sol grabs his foe by the neck while holding them high before they explode. Based on his air grab.
D Throw: Sol holds on to his enemy while forcing them down before creating an explosion. Based on PBB.
SPECIAL MOVES
B: Gunflame, Sol's iconic projectile. While somewhat slow, it covers a decent amount of ground and has a generous hitbox. Like Power Wave, there's no input, though Gunflame works a bit differently, by tapping B again before Sol actually launches the attack, he feints Gunflame, this reduces the endlag quite a bit and can be used to bait shielda, reflectors, jumps and punish attempts.
Side B: Bandit Revolver/Bandit Bringer/Riot Stamp. By doing a Hadouken motion, Sol will leap forwards with an overhead kick that hits twice, similar to Terry's Crack Shoot. The move isn't the strongest, but it has impressive shield damage as it's an overhead. By holding down the button, Sol instead does Bandit Bringer, a slower move with less horizontal range, but is stronger than Bandit Revolver, though it's shield damage isn't impressive . However, by doing a Tatsumaki input, Sol will use Riot Stamp as his move instead, he dashes backwards before leaping while doing a flaming kick, if Sol hits something with the kick, he'll kick once more to kick the foe/item away, though this second kick won't happen if he hits a shield. The backdash only happens when Sol's on the ground and has enough space to backdash, though Sol will start the kick if used in the air. Regardless of which move you use here, Sol goes into freefall, though his recovery can be mixed up, Bandit Revolver only goes horizontal, Bandit Bringer has a downwards arc and Riot Stamp has an upwards arc. By using the input versions, Sol will hit harder.

Up B: Volcanic Viper. Sol flies straight up as if he's using his sword as a rocket. The input version simply deals more damage but regardless of which version you do, you can quickly do the input for Knockdown to kick your opponent away once you've dragged them up, Knockdown will merely kick away horizontally but when the opponent's at a high enough percent, it will send them at a downwards angle. Sol goes into freefall when regardless of what version of the move he uses and Knockdown will end the move early making it's rather mediocre reach less impressive.

Down B: DRAGON INSTALL. Sol unleashes his true power to completely wreck anything and anyone in his way. Increased speed, an extra jump which can be used as a second airdash, increased damage, faster frame data and even stronger specials such as Gun Flame no longer traveling from the ground but rather becoming a giant flame pillar that strikes at a low diagonal angle and Volcanic Viper having further reach than before, vastly increasing the amount of hits it gets and damage in general, while Knockdown will spike on hit now. Sol becomes an intentionally broken character for about 10 seconds with a gauge at the bottom showing off how long he has left. When the time is up, Sol reverts back to normal and suffers some significant end lag, if in midair, Sol will still suffer the endlag, meaning if he was off the stage, he may even die. The move can also only be used once per match, so if you use it, make sure you make the most out of it

Final Smash: Tyrant Rave, Sol unleashes 2 incredibly powerful punches, the first punch will hold opponents in place while the second one has a powerful flame burst come out of his massive lighter, this doesn't launch on hit, but traps the opponent in a flamey circle for a few seconds, increasing the damage before it explodes and sends them flying. This is a combination of both of Tyrant Rave's portrayals.

When in Dragon Install, this becomes Branding Breach. Sol rushes forward and anyone he runs into gets dragged along until Sol finally stops at a wasteland, unleashes such power that the enemy gets OHKO'd regardless of percent. Naturally, a DESTROYED emblem will appear and like Joker's All Out Attack, the results screen will show up with the explosion on screen if you win the match with it. As it's locked to Dragon Install, you can only get a single chance to use this.
OTHER
Parry: Sol briefly floats as if he used a Burst
Taunt1: Sol thrusts his sword into the ground and scoffs, as he's annoyed that this is the best you've got.
Taunt2: Sol extends his arm and does a thumbs down as he says "Gimme a break"
Taunt3: Sol extends his arm, pauses for a bit and does a thumbs up as he's impressed
Victory theme: The Xrd victory theme but shortened down
Victory1: Sol walks away before turning to the camera. "What a waste of time!".
Victory2: Sol powers down from Dragon Install before smirking. "Next time you better bring your A game!"
Victory3: Sol removes his headband, ominously reaching out his hand before Dragon Install kicks in. A reference to his ending in the original series
Branding Breach Victory: The camera moves to Sol's back, still in Dragon Install, while he looks over his head while saying "What, done already?"

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
And so, the beta comes to an end...

Hopefully everyone here was able to enjoy it to the fullest as I could. I've had tons of fun and found a new main in Ramlethal. I'll definitely be picking this game up at launch and I am really looking forward to trying both Anji and I-No out. I don't know how I'll be going a full month and a half without it till release. Guessing I'll just play GGACR some more as a coping mechanism lol.

Also, there's a survey for the ones that participated with the open beta, please take some time out of your day to fill it in:

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
And so, the beta comes to an end...

Hopefully everyone here was able to enjoy it to the fullest as I could. I've had tons of fun and found a new main in Ramlethal. I'll definitely be picking this game up at launch and I am really looking forward to trying both Anji and I-No out. I don't know how I'll be going a full month and a half without it till release. Guessing I'll just play GGACR some more as a coping mechanism lol.

Also, there's a survey for the ones that participated with the open beta, please take some time out of your day to fill it in:
I already did the survey. Asked for more simple lobby visuals, instrumental versions of the new vocal songs, and reduce the damage in the final game.

Yeah, I enjoyed the beta a lot. The netcode was great. I mostly played Leo and then Millia, which I basically re-learned. I didn't very well with her, but still it was fun. Also played Sol and Zato for a few matches.

I still don't know if I'll pick up the game at launch. I'd like to, but maybe I'll wait a few months. But I'll definitely buy the game, even if it's just to support the rollback.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Man... GG Strive, Ratchet and Clank and FF7 in the same week is kinda ridiculous lmao.

I completely understand the need for a delay, but definitely a bit disappointing since we were getting pretty close to release. Hopefully the lobbies just get entirely reworked.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Man... GG Strive, Ratchet and Clank and FF7 in the same week is kinda ridiculous lmao.

I completely understand the need for a delay, but definitely a bit disappointing since we were getting pretty close to release. Hopefully the lobbies just get entirely reworked.
Yeah, I guess it was necessary but the date isn't really good. Granted FFVIIR isn't a full new game or anything like that, but still, releasing your new game in the same week as 2 big Playstation games doesn't feel like the best idea.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If you think THAT'S bad, friendly reminder that Monster Hunter Rise, Balan Wonderworld, and It Takes Two all come out on the same DAY.

Okay, I know MH is gonna dominate that day, but come on. At least BW had a demo released, while I legit forgot It Takes Two even EXISTED until recently...

Though... that's not really comparable, is it?

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I'm going to be a bit busy during June for exams, and during July I'll be on vacation, so the timing sucks a bit on my part. But I entirely support this decision! Props to them for valuing our criticism and listening to their fans. The online lobby was a mess, and I really hope they'll fix it.

Seriously whatever it takes to fix those lobbies lol

There's nothing better you can do with a game than polishing. This game will be a blast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom