• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sol Badguy Rides the Fire!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, I read about it. The rollback in +R is so amazing it actually feels like you're playing offline, they did a phenomenal job with that one . So I'm really glad It's the same. Man, Strive seems to be delivering on a lot of things, It's genuinely amazing to see.

Also either That Man or Ariels are my best bets as well. As for the other classic characters that seemed to have missed the train, they'll probably get reserved for DLC. Especially both Baiken and Bridget, they're perfect Season Pass sellers lmfao.
Yeah Baiken is for sure DLC. Johnny, Elphelt or Slayer are probably going to be there as well, they're popular and people wants them. I hope Sin manages to come back as well, I liked him.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sorry for doubleposting, but the open beta has finally been announced

All characters will be playable except for Anji and the last character, and the beta will use the rollback netcode that they announced back then.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Sorry for doubleposting, but the open beta has finally been announced

All characters will be playable except for Anji and the last character, and the beta will use the rollback netcode that they announced back then.
Can't wait. A bit disappointed Anji won't be playable. Though I'm hopeful this means the last character trailer will happen before the beta, so they can announce the open beta formally with the character.

Also no PC, damn. Guess I gotta renew my PS+ subscription. We haven't really heard much of the Steam version.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Can't wait. A bit disappointed Anji won't be playable. Though I'm hopeful this means the last character trailer will happen before the beta, so they can announce the open beta formally with the character.

Also no PC, damn. Guess I gotta renew my PS+ subscription. We haven't really heard much of the Steam version.
PS+ isn't needed for free to play games, so I imagine it isn't needed for an open beta. I think it works like that. Not 100% sure because I still have my PS+ subscription but I believe you don't need that for betas.

Edit: I was looking for info and yep, you don't need PS+ for the beta. Here's all the info regarding the beta

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
PS+ isn't needed for free to play games, so I imagine it isn't needed for an open beta. I think it works like that. Not 100% sure because I still have my PS+ subscription but I believe you don't need that for betas.

Edit: I was looking for info and yep, you don't need PS+ for the beta. Here's all the info regarding the beta
Ah amazing, I still had my PS+ Subscription active during the last beta (wow that was a long time ago) so I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Though I'm still hopeful for some more information on the Steam release during the last character's trailer. We literally have no word on it, besides that it releases on there. Doesn't even have a Steam page yet. Though I do remember them saying they were interested in PC and PS4/PS5 Crossplay somewhere down the line.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Ah amazing, I still had my PS+ Subscription active during the last beta (wow that was a long time ago) so I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Though I'm still hopeful for some more information on the Steam release during the last character's trailer. We literally have no word on it, besides that it releases on there. Doesn't even have a Steam page yet. Though I do remember them saying they were interested in PC and PS4/PS5 Crossplay somewhere down the line.
Yeah I think there's a chance they add crossplay between PlayStation and PC, in fact I think they said that they might work on that after the game releases. Maybe just me but I remember reading something like that not long ago

SNEKeater

Smash Master

9 minutes of new gameplay featuring some new moves!

Ky has a Dragon Install. Axl has a time stop mechanic and we finally see Sol's DI, though it's part of a very cool (and new) overdrive.

Also I'd say there's a few new animations and attacks, at least for Nagoriyuki and Zato. I love how Eddie is animated, so goofy

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

9 minutes of new gameplay featuring some new moves!

Ky has a Dragon Install. Axl has a time stop mechanic and we finally see Sol's DI, though it's part of a very cool (and new) overdrive.

Also I'd say there's a few new animations and attacks, at least for Nagoriyuki and Zato. I love how Eddie is animated, so goofy
Ky's DI was ****ing teased when he got **** in Xrd right? Wonder how that's explained, though the fans will clearly say "Gear ***** got me acting different" lmao

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah it was teased in the story mode of Xrd. It looks rad.

Though it would be strange if only Ky has an in game DI. So far we only know Sol can transform for one of his supers. In fact we haven't seen Instant Kills yet, which were confirmed to return, I believe?

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Yeah it was teased in the story mode of Xrd. It looks rad.

Though it would be strange if only Ky has an in game DI. So far we only know Sol can transform for one of his supers. In fact we haven't seen Instant Kills yet, which were confirmed to return, I believe?
Hmmm, don't remember any word on Instant Kills yet. But well, they better come back, a Guilty Gear game without Instant Kills is like a Smash game without Final Smashes lol. If they do come back I do expect a word on them soon.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hmmm, don't remember any word on Instant Kills yet. But well, they better come back, a Guilty Gear game without Instant Kills is like a Smash game without Final Smashes lol. If they do come back I do expect a word on them soon.
But Final Smashes weren't introduced until Brawl.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
pc for sure, ever since I got a decent rig last year I have a hard time wanting to go back to play on a console or buying a new one haha.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
No one posted it but they started uploading new starter guide videos for the rest of the characters. Idk if you remember but they were doing those last year prior to the first beta they did. Now they're doing it again but with the remaining characters

I must say as a Millia main I pretty much love what I'm seeing in the video. She looks great as well.

As for Zato, it's stupid how well animated he and Eddie are. I love how goofy Eddie looks. Also, Zato's first super animation is just ridiculous.

STEAM PAGE IS HERE:

AT LAST

Though that makes me wonder, on what platform(s) will you guys be playing on?
I'll probably pick the game on PS4, maybe I'll change my mind but I played Rev 2 on PS4 and had no problems.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
No one posted it but they started uploading new starter guide videos for the rest of the characters. Idk if you remember but they were doing those last year prior to the first beta they did. Now they're doing it again but with the remaining characters

I must say as a Millia main I pretty much love what I'm seeing in the video. She looks great as well.

As for Zato, it's stupid how well animated he and Eddie are. I love how goofy Eddie looks. Also, Zato's first super animation is just ridiculous.

I'll probably pick the game on PS4, maybe I'll change my mind but I played Rev 2 on PS4 and had no problems.
Oh yeah I'm really glad they've been doing these Starter Guide videos again so we can finally see their full moveset. I do notice quite few changes from Xrd when it comes to Millia, Her Chroming Rose (Her Install Super) and Silent Force (That one move where she throws her hair pin) are both missing. Though I'd suppose that's for the better as her current moveset already looks really good, though still a big focus on Oki I see lol. Eddie looks amazing, I really love how he's animated.

There's a thing that's worrying me with these and that is that they're still not showing the Instant Kills. Damn, I was quite confident of them getting in, but now I'm even hesitating myself.

Also I'm still quite hesitating between the choice of PC and PS4, I've had great experiences with both when it comes to Guilty Gear. Though I'm fairly certain I'll be switching between both somewhere down the line when the other version ends up with a heavy discount. Though you know me, this is a day 1 purchase for me anyway lol.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Oh yeah I'm really glad they've been doing these Starter Guide videos again so we can finally see their full moveset. I do notice quite few changes from Xrd when it comes to Millia, Her Chroming Rose (Her Install Super) and Silent Force (That one move where she throws her hair pin) are both missing. Though I'd suppose that's for the better as her current moveset already looks really good, though still a big focus on Oki I see lol. Eddie looks amazing, I really love how he's animated.

There's a thing that's worrying me with these and that is that they're still not showing the Instant Kills. Damn, I was quite confident of them getting in, but now I'm even hesitating myself.

Also I'm still quite hesitating between the choice of PC and PS4, I've had great experiences with both when it comes to Guilty Gear. Though I'm fairly certain I'll be switching between both somewhere down the line when the other version ends up with a heavy discount. Though you know me, this is a day 1 purchase for me anyway lol.
Yeah no Instant Kills is weird. IKs are a good way to sell and market the game in my opinion because of how flashy and cool they are.

No hair pin for Millia isn't really a big deal in my opinion, but as you said most of her moveset seems quite similar, or at least her gameplan.

As for me I'll probably pick the game day one if I enjoy the beta, which I guess I'll do. I'm very interested in the game at the moment. Really hoping they add a good and functional rollback.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
1613353318465.png

So this was posted on the Ryu Hayabusa thread. I'm posting it here because that guy under Kirby might be Sol Badguy!

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
That's definitely Riot Stamp alright lmfao.

Also, while I'm already here, ArcSys put out some more Starter Guides for STRIVE!

I know this has been the talk of the town lately but goddamn. Nagoriyuki's Zansetsu's range is humongous and SO ****ing poweful. Though it's locked behind both his Bloodrage and Tension Gauge, so there comes a lot of meter-managing with him. And his Bloodrage state sucks really hard anyway.

I see mommy and daddy had a son.

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
View attachment 303113
So this was posted on the Ryu Hayabusa thread. I'm posting it here because that guy under Kirby might be Sol Badguy!
Whenever I see murals with multiple “leaked” characters, I instantly know they’re fake. Existing characters are shifted to make room for the new ones and not once has that been evident in the previous fake leaks.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408

Also, while I'm already here, ArcSys put out some more Starter Guides for STRIVE!

I know this has been the talk of the town lately but goddamn. Nagoriyuki's Zansetsu's range is humongous and SO ****ing poweful. Though it's locked behind both his Bloodrage and Tension Gauge, so there comes a lot of meter-managing with him. And his Bloodrage state sucks really hard anyway.

Leo has a command grab now? I’m okay, I’m okay... 🥲

Giovanna is surprisingly simple; I thought there would be more to her given that dog Stand of hers, but this means I don’t have to think too hard when using her, which is something I always keep in mind when finding characters to play.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Chipp is really going to die in one hit against Zansetsu huh

The starter guides were nice, specially the ones for Nagoriyuki and Leo. Ram and Giovanna also look nice, but for Giovanna I think another special would have been cool. She being a friendly beginner character is completely fine, but still.

I already said this but I truly love the redesigns so far. I really like how the cast now looks more mature/older.

Also, 25 minutes of new gameplay:

Giovanna's outro is perfection:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Leo has a command grab now? I’m okay, I’m okay... 🥲

Giovanna is surprisingly simple; I thought there would be more to her given that dog Stand of hers, but this means I don’t have to think too hard when using her, which is something I always keep in mind when finding characters to play.
The unga bunga king has become even more unga bunga now. Fear the gorilla emperor.

Also yeah, I was hoping they'd show that new Install of hers where she becomes green. Kind of confused why they didn't. All we know about that is that she becomes faster.

I already said this but I truly love the redesigns so far. I really like how the cast now looks more mature/older.
Which is more the reason why we need to see Sin! Want to see that guy but a bit mature.

Also, here are the contents of the beta for anyone who's interested. Versus Mode, Tutorial Mode, Training Mode all included to get you started for Online!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm kinda worried about the lack of IKs and Sol losing DI, though what baffles me even more is the choice to not have Be Just or Be Dead/Holy Orders override the OST when Ky pops out his own DI. Hopefully it's a beta thing specifically lmao.
Also yeah, I was hoping they'd show that new Install of hers where she becomes green. Kind of confused why they didn't. All we know about that is that she becomes faster.
She gets that when her Tension's full, likely to make her newcomer friendly as newbies don't pop out RCs very often, which is a cool idea but they really ****ed up on not showing that off. Skipping intros and victory animations is also crap imo as you'd think these stupid ass characters showing their colourful personalities would be able to sell casual fans on the game too

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I imagine the result will be a no, but I do wonder if we might see Strive or Xrd getting Switch ports tomorrow or something (poorly timed as the latter would be with less than 2 months away for the new game to drop and likely overshadow Xrd for at least some months).

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
The beta is open for everyone now on PS4/PS5! I hope everyone is having fun! :D

As for a Switch port, I could see it happening. But Strive will definitely be a tough one, the loading times on PS4 aren't promising lol.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well, servers are down. Seems like since the open beta started for everyone the servers weren't able to handle all the new people lol

I was able to play a few online matches and it was really smooth. Though I was very bad, I feel like I have to forget what I learn in Rev 2, then learn how to play Strive, because I keep doing some Rev 2 **** that doesn't work here lol

Millia I barely can do anything good with her and she was my main. So for now I'm sticking with Sol haha
Hoping they fix the servers soon.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Well, servers are down. Seems like since the open beta started for everyone the servers weren't able to handle all the new people lol

I was able to play a few online matches and it was really smooth. Though I was very bad, I feel like I have to forget what I learn in Rev 2, then learn how to play Strive, because I keep doing some Rev 2 **** that doesn't work here lol

Millia I barely can do anything good with her and she was my main. So for now I'm sticking with Sol haha
Hoping they fix the servers soon.
Glad I know I'm not the only one who has the problem. I was able to play some matches online before getting kicked out, but the fact that Strive is more grounded still throws me off as well. I've always been a Sol main so of course I played him first.

Also, you face that "Failed to download R Code" notification too? A bit frustrating I can't get in anymore, but hey, it's an open beta. Problems like these are an inevitability.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Glad I know I'm not the only one who has the problem. I was able to play some matches online before getting kicked out, but the fact that Strive is more grounded still throws me off as well. I've always been a Sol main so of course I played him first.

Also, you face that "Failed to download R Code" notification too? A bit frustrating I can't get in anymore, but hey, it's an open beta. Problems like these are an inevitability.
Yeah, I'm getting that message as well. I was able to enter the menu and play some training and vs CPU for the meanwhile, but then the game kicked me out lol

For me the hard part is the lack of gatling more than the game being grounded. That, and some attack links are definitely different from Xrd, so I had a hard time adapting to Millia in this game.

For that reason I went with Sol, which I also used in Rev 2, and I felt more comfortable with him. I've also tried Leo in training mode and he's fun.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Oh yeah definitely, Full gatlings basically don't exist anymore and all characters have set combos now. You can't really chain basic attacks together anymore, which I still find to be a weird decision. It was such a unique element of Guilty Gear that I'm kinda sad that it's gone now, but eh.

I was only able to use Sol online and go into training with Giovanna, despite her limited moveset I'm actually quite liking her! I've wanted to try other characters as well, but, like many others I got kicked too lol. I'll retry connecting in a bit.

As we Sol mains gotta stick together here's some stuff I was able to find out while labbing:
  • Close Slash is Dash cancelable
  • Close Slash Fafnir is a Frame Trap and +7 on block
  • Crouch Slash confirms on Counterhit to basically anything
  • Standing Kick is an amazing move, and if you anti-air with it, you can gatling or dash cancel for a full combo

Also, just to note, damn the online was extremely good. I hope this game sells well because Rollback definitely needs to be an industry standard now.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The final character will be shown off in a little over 11 hours, place your bets, are we gonna see a newcomer or a beloved veteran? Also, do we think it's just the character or a trailer in general that shows off some stuff like IKs?
With the story stuff hinting at Sol's final game I'm like...60% sure it's gonna be That Man.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I've said this before, but I'm betting on either That Man or Ariels. Making one of those playable for the first time ever is a pretty huge deal.

Pretty sure they'll be reserving the fan-favorite veterans for DLC. Especially Baiken and Bridget.

Top Bottom